or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Page 2

post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It's better to proclaim every product you make to be revolutionary and let people find out they don't like it, right?

Maybe, unless you're this guy.
post #42 of 54
I can't find any details about how to get grandfathered in. I was just going to get an iPad 2 and transplant the iPad 1 sim card. AT&T doesn't need to know.
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I can't find any details about how to get grandfathered in. I was just going to get an iPad 2 and transplant the iPad 1 sim card. AT&T doesn't need to know.

That may not work. If it can detect the device it's been transplanted into, it may cease to work if it isn't allowed.
post #44 of 54
Went in to ATT this weekend, and they said that it would cost $45 for hotspot activation, which completely turns me off. I was planning on buying an ipad2 this weekend (don't have an ipad1), and I heard another rumor about being able to "port" over my unlimited iphone4 plan (whatever that means). ATT would be better served by trying to keep all the iphone folks they currently have, by enticing them to buy a 3G ipad2 at ATT, and let them keep unlimited hotspot at no extra charge, or no more than $20/month for UNLIMITED data, but ATT will most likely never do this unless Verizon does something similar. Thankfully, we at least have two carriers to compete somewhat (although it is really an oligopoly, and reminds me of gas price "competitiion", which means looking down the street to see what the other guy is charging, and keeping it the same, to get around the collusion laws).
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Went in to ATT this weekend, and they said that it would cost $45 for hotspot activation, which completely turns me off. I was planning on buying an ipad2 this weekend (don't have an ipad1), and I heard another rumor about being able to "port" over my unlimited iphone4 plan (whatever that means). ATT would be better served by trying to keep all the iphone folks they currently have, by enticing them to buy a 3G ipad2 at ATT, and let them keep unlimited hotspot at no extra charge, or no more than $20/month for UNLIMITED data, but ATT will most likely never do this unless Verizon does something similar. Thankfully, we at least have two carriers to compete somewhat (although it is really an oligopoly, and reminds me of gas price "competitiion", which means looking down the street to see what the other guy is charging, and keeping it the same, to get around the collusion laws).

No, you can't port your iPhone plan over. The phone and iPad plans are separate. Phone companies don't like to give tethering and hotspots away for free because the thinking is that there will be more use generated on those plans. While unlimited plans are just that, the price is generated on the basis of what the average subscriber uses. It does use up bandwidth you know.

If people aren't happy about paying for something, then just don't get it. No reason to expect that just because you don't want to pay for it they should give it to you for free.
post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The best you can do is to go to the general settings and look at "usage". It gives you a running total. I'm not sure if that's just month to month or from the beginning, as I don't check it, so I don't know how much I'm using. But you can reset it at any time, so you can do this at the beginning of the month if it doesn't do this already.

There's a fantastic free app called "Consume" by Bjango that you can use to keep track of your data and cap usage, along with all sorts of 'consumption' from broadband, mobile, transport and frequent flyers, store cards, etc. Whilst Bjango are an Australian developer, they do have 18 US-based services covered, including ATT.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It's better to proclaim every product you make to be revolutionary and let people find out they don't like it, right?

yep. 15million people in 9 months hated it.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

There's a fantastic free app called "Consume" by Bjango that you can use to keep track of your data and cap usage, along with all sorts of 'consumption' from broadband, mobile, transport and frequent flyers, store cards, etc. Whilst Bjango are an Australian developer, they do have 18 US-based services covered, including ATT.

That's useful information.
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's own Galaxy Tab, shown off at this year's Mobile World Congress, is listed at a similar weight, but slightly thicker at 0.44 inches.

Slightly thicker?!?!

Really?

So in other words... a 220 pound man is only _slightly_ heaver than one weighing 175 pounds? Hey it works for me... I can loose that silly idea of moving to lite beer!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Off topic, but anyone else notice the giant Xoom ads on the main page?

We know, we know.

Sad, but true: AI does have bills to pay, even if it means selling its soul.
post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

There's a fantastic free app called "Consume" by Bjango that you can use to keep track of your data and cap usage, along with all sorts of 'consumption' from broadband, mobile, transport and frequent flyers, store cards, etc. Whilst Bjango are an Australian developer, they do have 18 US-based services covered, including ATT.

Good app. However, with DataMan* you can track and view 3G and Wi-Fi usage separately by day, week and month. You can even get the data usage for a single app. Even by the minute. I did this to calculate the amount of data drawn down for The Daily on a daily bases.

In addition, it even geo tags the usage, i.e., cellular and Wi-Fi separately on a Google Map.

Free lite version available. Maybe that is all most will need.

Just bought their VoiceMan.

* http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/datam...393282873?mt=8
post #52 of 54
Hey everyone... for those looking to transfer your unlimited data plan to your new iPad 2 it was rather easy...

Go to the iPad Landing page on AT&T's website https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

Then enter the email and password you use for your account.

Next click on Edit User & Payment Information. You will see your current iPad's IMEI and ICCID. Click on update information. Enter the new information from your new iPad 2 and follow the prompts.

Once the information was updated it took just a couple of minutes and now my new iPad 2 has the unlimited plan. My old iPad will now let me sign up for a new plan using the current plans available (wife thought she was getting my unlimited plan)... and to think I didn't need to spend time on the phone. The only issue I have seen is that the old iPad as the same cellular number...
post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by slesherinyork View Post

Hey everyone... for those looking to transfer your unlimited data plan to your new iPad 2 it was rather easy...

Go to the iPad Landing page on AT&T's website https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

Then enter the email and password you use for your account.

Next click on Edit User & Payment Information. You will see your current iPad's IMEI and ICCID. Click on update information. Enter the new information from your new iPad 2 and follow the prompts.

Once the information was updated it took just a couple of minutes and now my new iPad 2 has the unlimited plan. My old iPad will now let me sign up for a new plan using the current plans available (wife thought she was getting my unlimited plan)... and to think I didn't need to spend time on the phone. The only issue I have seen is that the old iPad as the same cellular number...

Excellent! Yes, that worked.
post #54 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That may not work. If it can detect the device it's been transplanted into, it may cease to work if it isn't allowed.

I had not checked this thread before swapping my old 3G SIM - so it has been swapped since Friday night and unlimited3g is still working. In fact if I go into the cellular data tab in options, and log in with same email and pw, it shows me my account info.

I hope it does not suddenly stop working since Fedex already picked up my old 3G with my new and never activated SIM card on it's way to my eBay buyer.

I think it will be ok - so far so good.

(worst case? ...Stops working and I take it to ATT and have it reinstated again?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1