or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 2002 Baseball Playoffs thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2002 Baseball Playoffs thread - Page 4

post #121 of 162
And what the heck was with Andy Garcia speaking like he barely knows English ... or Ray Liotta screaming at the top of his lungs?
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #122 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by Eugene:
<strong>And what the heck was with Andy Garcia speaking like he barely knows English ... or Ray Liotta screaming at the top of his lungs?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Haha... very true....

wonder why they didn't get a more um... baseballish figure to do the announcing.
post #123 of 162
[quote]wonder why they didn't get a more um... baseballish figure to do the announcing.<hr></blockquote>

That's easy- Bud Selig is in charge.
post #124 of 162
I am shocked!
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #125 of 162
Looked like Ray Liotta was trying to talk as loudly as he could, while moving the least amount of facial muscles possible.

Just looked.... wrong.

post #126 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

only someone who does not love baseball would say that ya jackass</strong><hr></blockquote>

He knows more about baseball than you will EVER know. EVER.
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
post #127 of 162
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>where's the shot heard round the world?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

My feelings exactly. I mean Hello?!? Bobby Thomson? Ralph Branca? Hello?!? Move Ripken down to about No. 12. That made me sick.

Then again, I'm the guy who wanted Walter Johnson winning Game 7 of the '24 Series as one of the choices.

Eugene, you always expect the Giants to lose and you're stunned when they win. Did you grow up a Red Sox fan or something?

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: CaseCom ]</p>
Why am I whispering?
Reply
Why am I whispering?
Reply
post #128 of 162
No, I just didn't think Rueter could hold the Angels to 3 runs.

The big bats like Glaus and Salmon are right-handed hitters...and Spiezo's a switch hitter. A southpaw with an 87 MPH fastball should get burned...

Worrell and Nen did a good job as usual. Felix Rodriguez did his part. The Giants, however, haven't been firing on all cylinders in any of these games.

Benito hit into two double-plays with the bases loaded. Kent didn't have a hit, but did get an RBI. Sanders had a so-so outing. The Angels firebats still performed really well in spite of Eckstein and Erstad having off days.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #129 of 162
Well, I'm sorta close to my prediction of Angels in 6. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

K-Rod giving up a run scoring single surprised me, but it also didn't. As young as he is and as relatively new to this kind of pressure, it was only a matter of time before he got tapped. But he kept his composure and only allowed a run, be it the game winner, but it still only was 1 run.

Game 5 is huge for both teams. The Angels 1-3 on the road this postseason. They can ill afford a loss. If they pull out the win tomorrow, they will win it all. I can't bear to watch a game 7. The bright side is that 6 and 7 are at Anaheim.

Gotta give the G-men credit for not letting the early lead get them down. What a great series.
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
post #130 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by Mikey Offender:
<strong>

He knows more about baseball than you will EVER know. EVER. </strong><hr></blockquote>

lol... if you knew how absurd that comment was you would think you were an idiot as well

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
post #131 of 162
ripken as the most memorable moment?!?!? this proves yet again that this country is populated by morons...
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
post #132 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

lol... if you knew how absurd that comment was you would think you were an idiot as well

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

How is it absurd, little boy?
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
post #133 of 162
I was rooting for Fisk's waving the HR fair.

I'm really glad that Buckner's error didn't make the list. The fact that they included it in the top 30 at all was an outrage. That moment is considered one of the WORST in Boston. Everything else seems to be a positive moment except this. <img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" />
post #134 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by Mikey Offender:
<strong>
Gotta give the G-men credit for not letting the early lead get them down. What a great series.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This series has so far been a disappointment. Those Angel victories were much too one-sided. The Giant's pitching just wasn't World Series caliber in those games. I'm glad the Giants won yesterday and the Bobby Bonds story is always compelling. What a tremendous player he is! The Giants are up 6-3 as I write this. We need the momentum to change at least 2 more times for this to be a very good series.
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
post #135 of 162
Nice crummy blow-out. 12-4 bottom of 8th. So much for the Angels in 6.

Well, let's see what happens Saturday with shmuck (Appier) against shmuck (Ortiz).
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
post #136 of 162
Make that 16-4.
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
post #137 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:
<strong>

This series has so far been a disappointment. Those Angel victories were much too one-sided. The Giant's pitching just wasn't World Series caliber in those games. I'm glad the Giants won yesterday and the Bobby Bonds story is always compelling. What a tremendous player he is! The Giants are up 6-3 as I write this. We need the momentum to change at least 2 more times for this to be a very good series.</strong><hr></blockquote>


11-10 = one sided?

The match-up seems pretty effin' even to me.

4-3
10-11
4-10
4-3
12-4

3 of those games were decided by ONE run, and at the halfway point of both blow-outs, the games was actually close, with each losing team scratching back after going down a few runs. In the last 4-3 game, the Giants came back from a 3 run deficit to win by one run. Looks to me like it'll go 7 games. What's it going to take to make it a good series? 8 games?

Disappointing series indeed.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #138 of 162
And speaking of the boring series...

<a href="http://www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU/~ceugene/adm/anxiousdarren.mov" target="_blank">http://www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU/~ceugene/adm/anxiousdarren.mov</a>

This beats the Lofton bunt last night, and the Snow fall+recovery foul ball catch as the best play of the series so far.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #139 of 162
Those farking kids have no business on a baseball field. Control your son, Dusty. He coulda gotten run over by some very big men or blasted by a baseball. Stupid kids. Outlaw them forevar!
post #140 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by CaseCom:
<strong>I can't believe no one's posted here yet tonight.

BRING ON TEH GAME 7!!!!!!!!111</strong><hr></blockquote>



That game was completely demoralizing. Angels will win tomorrow, I guarantee it.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #141 of 162
Go Angels!

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!

Bring on Game 7!!!!!!!!!
post #142 of 162
Thread Starter 
I can't believe no one's posted here yet tonight.

BRING ON TEH GAME 7!!!!!!!!111
Why am I whispering?
Reply
Why am I whispering?
Reply
post #143 of 162
That was one of the most stressfully insane games I've ever watched. I hope the momentum stays.
Troy Glaus is badass.

Go Angels!
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
post #144 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by Mikey Offender:
<strong>

How is it absurd, little boy?</strong><hr></blockquote>

perhaps because my life revolves around baseball... from birth until this day...

I attended 17 straight Yankee opening day games from the age of 2 months to 16... the streak only ended because I traveled to Myrtle Beach for 10 days to play in the Hawaiin Tropic High School Baseball Tournament.

I've attended easily over 400 Yankee games in my life... have been in attendance at David Well's perfect game, David Cone's Perfect game, Doc Gooden's No Hitter, Game 6 of the 96 World Series in which the yankees won..... I was also had countless other memorable moments such as Don Mattingly Day, every old timers day except this past one because I was in California, Joe Dimaggio Day, Mussina's near perfect game in boston, etc....

My mother works at Yankee stadium and has worked there for many years now.... last summer I was a fill in batboy for the Yankees although never got a chance to actually work in a game situation due to poor timing on my part with other activities. Yankee ticker tape parades down the canyon of heroes in manhattan? I was in em on a float and had breakfast and dinner with the players... I have the photos to prove it... and yes, it was nice ya bastard.

I have played baseball competitively since the age of 7, being an all-star in little league every year from the age of 9 to my final year at the age of 16. I went to the number one baseball catholic high school in NYC and still attend there... freshman year I started for JV and sophomore year I was moved up to varsity for the first half the year.... that summer I also pitched at Shea Stadium as part of the connie mack league metro all-stars.... unfortunately tendonitis in my elbow sidelined me for junior year... but I'm back playing again and will be going to Cal State Fullerton this Christmas for a division 1 camp... and will likely play division 1 ball for college.

so, yes, I know baseball .... know it very well.... baseball is my life.... can you say the same for yourself jackass?

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
post #145 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

perhaps because my life revolves around baseball... from birth until this day...

I attended 17 straight Yankee opening day games from the age of 2 months to 16... the streak only ended because I traveled to Myrtle Beach for 10 days to play in the Hawaiin Tropic High School Baseball Tournament.

I've attended easily over 400 Yankee games in my life... have been in attendance at David Well's perfect game, David Cone's Perfect game, Doc Gooden's No Hitter, Game 6 of the 96 World Series in which the yankees won..... I was also had countless other memorable moments such as Don Mattingly Day, every old timers day except this past one because I was in California, Joe Dimaggio Day, Mussina's near perfect game in boston, etc....

My mother works at Yankee stadium and has worked there for many years now.... last summer I was a fill in batboy for the Yankees although never got a chance to actually work in a game situation due to poor timing on my part with other activities. Yankee ticker tape parades down the canyon of heroes in manhattan? I was in em on a float and had breakfast and dinner with the players... I have the photos to prove it... and yes, it was nice ya bastard.

I have played baseball competitively since the age of 7, being an all-star in little league every year from the age of 9 to my final year at the age of 16. I went to the number one baseball catholic high school in NYC and still attend there... freshman year I started for JV and sophomore year I was moved up to varsity for the first half the year.... that summer I also pitched at Shea Stadium as part of the connie mack league metro all-stars.... unfortunately tendonitis in my elbow sidelined me for junior year... but I'm back playing again and will be going to Cal State Fullerton this Christmas for a division 1 camp... and will likely play division 1 ball for college.

so, yes, I know baseball .... know it very well.... baseball is my life.... can you say the same for yourself jackass?

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You think you're the only one who ever picked up a bat and hit a ball? I played from my t-ball days til HS when I dropped it to play guitar in a band. You have no clue, and that makes you a jackass.
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
post #146 of 162
hahahahahahaa

you're pathetic

it's hilarious..

enjoy the Angels winning...

hahahahahaha
post #147 of 162
[quote]My mother works at Yankee stadium and has worked there for many years now<hr></blockquote>

I thought your Mom was an educator? <img src="confused.gif" border="0">
post #148 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>

I thought your Mom was an educator? :confused: </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what I thought too.
post #149 of 162
depends on the kind of "work" she is doin' at the stadium..... g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
post #150 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

perhaps because my life revolves around baseball... from birth until this day...

I attended 17 straight Yankee opening day games from the age of 2 months to 16... the streak only ended because I traveled to Myrtle Beach for 10 days to play in the Hawaiin Tropic High School Baseball Tournament.

I've attended easily over 400 Yankee games in my life... have been in attendance at David Well's perfect game, David Cone's Perfect game, Doc Gooden's No Hitter, Game 6 of the 96 World Series in which the yankees won..... I was also had countless other memorable moments such as Don Mattingly Day, every old timers day except this past one because I was in California, Joe Dimaggio Day, Mussina's near perfect game in boston, etc....

My mother works at Yankee stadium and has worked there for many years now.... last summer I was a fill in batboy for the Yankees although never got a chance to actually work in a game situation due to poor timing on my part with other activities. Yankee ticker tape parades down the canyon of heroes in manhattan? I was in em on a float and had breakfast and dinner with the players... I have the photos to prove it... and yes, it was nice ya bastard.

I have played baseball competitively since the age of 7, being an all-star in little league every year from the age of 9 to my final year at the age of 16. I went to the number one baseball catholic high school in NYC and still attend there... freshman year I started for JV and sophomore year I was moved up to varsity for the first half the year.... that summer I also pitched at Shea Stadium as part of the connie mack league metro all-stars.... unfortunately tendonitis in my elbow sidelined me for junior year... but I'm back playing again and will be going to Cal State Fullerton this Christmas for a division 1 camp... and will likely play division 1 ball for college.

so, yes, I know baseball .... know it very well.... baseball is my life.... can you say the same for yourself jackass?

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>


wow, you are one spoiled lil bastard. i'm afraid im gonna have to agree w/ mikey here. stop rubbing yer advantages in other people's faces. i've played competitive ball too and coulda played in college. that's cause i'm the best player of all time. i love the yankees. they're the best. i'm the best. all other teams such cause they aren't the yankees. any other team that wins musta cheated. blah blah blah.

dude, i'm sorry, but shut up already.
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
post #151 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>

I thought your Mom was an educator? :confused: </strong><hr></blockquote>

you do know school is out during the summer right? you do know baseball is primarily played during the summer... you do know that teachers are underpaid... you do know many people work 2 jobs or a part time job on the side..... you do right?

[quote]depends on the kind of "work" she is doin' at the stadium..... g<hr></blockquote>

not really but cute

[quote]wow, you are one spoiled lil bastard. i'm afraid im gonna have to agree w/ mikey here. stop rubbing yer advantages in other people's faces. i've played competitive ball too and coulda played in college. that's cause i'm the best player of all time. i love the yankees. they're the best. i'm the best. all other teams such cause they aren't the yankees. any other team that wins musta cheated. blah blah blah.

dude, i'm sorry, but shut up already.<hr></blockquote>

uh... agree with Mikey? he began it when he tried to be a bigshot after I said Loue Gehrig's speech was number one moment of all time.... I didn't rub any of my "advantages" in until he said so.

as usual you need to learn how to read everything and not just what you want... it's been the same with you for years... all you ever do is tell me I need to grow up... you need to get a ****ing life because if you think you saying the same thing 100X in response to me is a sign of maturity and class you're wrong... and instead you look like an ass.
post #152 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>
I didn't rub any of my "advantages" in until he said so.

as usual you need to learn how to read everything and not just what you want... it's been the same with you for years... all you ever do is tell me I need to grow up... you need to get a ****ing life because if you think you saying the same thing 100X in response to me is a sign of maturity and class you're wrong... and instead you look like an ass.</strong><hr></blockquote>

exactly. if you feel the need to brag about yerself, do it to him privately in PM or email, cause i dont think anyone wants to hear how wonderful you are. that was my point. or...maybe you can start your own thread about things to brag about, that way we can make sure not to accidently read it all in other threads. thanks.

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: _ alliance _ ]</p>
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
post #153 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

uh... agree with Mikey? </strong><hr></blockquote>

oh and i said i agreed with mikey in response to his post after yer lil speech about how much you know more than anyone else. you know, the one where he said you're not the only one who's ever played baseball? just cause you live in a city where the team always "manages" to win doesn't mean you're the only one who knows something about the game. get it now?
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
post #154 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:
<strong>
... get it now?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay let's backup for a minute.

ColanderofDeath complained that Lou Gerhig's speech wasn't a true baseball moment because it didn't happen during a game. This is technically true, but it's still a fairly retarded comment. What Jackie Robinson means to baseball is not confined to what he did on the diamond. That speech by Gerhig was significant because of the honor and dignity Gerhig brought to the game. It took a terrible disease to force him from the field which is what that speech was about.

Anyway, Applenut responded that ColanderofDeath couldn't love the game of baseball and say that. I agree with him. Mikey Offender is the one who then jumped in with how much more ColanderofDeath knows about baseball than Applenut "will EVER know. EVER." At that point its hardly surprising that Applenut would then talk about how central baseball is to his life. I dont doubt that other people are very knowledgeable too but Mikeys comment is the one that cant be defended. Whats so special about ColanderofDeath that Applenut couldnt EVER know as much as him? EVER?
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
post #155 of 162
[quote]you do know school is out during the summer right? you do know baseball is primarily played during the summer... you do know that teachers are underpaid... you do know many people work 2 jobs or a part time job on the side..... you do right?<hr></blockquote>

Ok, calm down there applenut.

First of all, I thought your Mom was in administration and those type of jobs (at least around here) are year round.

Second of all, April, May, June, and September (not to mention October) are generally months that have school.

Not only that, but your Mom never mentioned working for the Yankees. Sounds pretty cool, though.

I also know all too well that teachers are underpaid. My Mom is an elementary school teacher. She has to bake pies, cakes, etc. for my aunt's restaurant on the side.

So there's no need to overreact, it was a simple question.

Edit: Lou Gehrig's speech was definitely a 'moment'. Unfortuantely, I wouldn't exactly call it a 'great moment'. After all, it was probably the worst time in his baseball career, not to mention his life.

He'd probably be the first to agree that he would have skipped the experience had he been given the chance. The others on the list such as Cal Ripken, Hank Aaron, etc. wouldn't have given the experience up at all. Just my thoughts.

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
post #156 of 162
_ alliance _,

ColanderofDeath and Mikey Offender both made moronic statements to set applenut off. As evidenced in Moog's worthless "Ba-a-a-a-rry, Ba-a-a-a-rry!!" thread, Mikey has a skewed perspective on Barry, baseball, and life in general.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #157 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:
<strong>

Okay let's backup for a minute.

ColanderofDeath complained that Lou Gerhig's speech wasn't a true baseball moment because it didn't happen during a game. This is technically true, but it's still a fairly retarded comment. What Jackie Robinson means to baseball is not confined to what he did on the diamond. That speech by Gerhig was significant because of the honor and dignity Gerhig brought to the game. It took a terrible disease to force him from the field which is what that speech was about.

Anyway, Applenut responded that ColanderofDeath couldn't love the game of baseball and say that. I agree with him. Mikey Offender is the one who then jumped in with how much more ColanderofDeath knows about baseball than Applenut "will EVER know. EVER." At that point its hardly surprising that Applenut would then talk about how central baseball is to his life. I dont doubt that other people are very knowledgeable too but Mikeys comment is the one that cant be defended. Whats so special about ColanderofDeath that Applenut couldnt EVER know as much as him? EVER?</strong><hr></blockquote>

CoD knows more about baseball than most people I've ever talked to. Prolly knows more about sports period than most people I've talked to.
You don't have to play ball 'competitively' to know your sh!t, and that guy knows his sh!t.
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
post #158 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by Eugene:
<strong>_ alliance _,

ColanderofDeath and Mikey Offender both made moronic statements to set applenut off. As evidenced in Moog's worthless "Ba-a-a-a-rry, Ba-a-a-a-rry!!" thread, Mikey has a skewed perspective on Barry, baseball, and life in general.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The perspective you may think I have is the one I WANT you to see. Do I appreciate BB's accomplishments? Sure I do. I think he's amazing. But talking sh!t is part of the game. Deal with it. The whole lot of you.

Hugs.
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
Reply
post #159 of 162
[quote]Originally posted by Mikey Offender:
<strong>
CoD knows more about baseball than most people I've ever talked to. Prolly knows more about sports period than most people I've talked to...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, that's one thing but that's not quite the same thing as saying he knows more about baseball than Applenut will EVER know. And I guess his comment about Gerhig shows that even people who know their "sh!t" are capable of making dumb comments.
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
post #160 of 162
<a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/sfgate/object.old.cgi?object=/news/pictures/2002/10/28/celebrate5.jpg&paper=chronicle&file=dip.DTL&direct ory=/gate/archive/2002/10/28&format=dip" target="_blank">WE WON!!! LET'S DESTROY STUFF!!!</a>

Reminds me of the first game in the last Giants/Dodgers series this year in LA...when the game lasted over 5 hours because some jerks kept throwing batteries, bottles, cigarette lighters, and other things at Bonds...or tossing beachballs and other trash on the field. At the end of the game there was a huge mound of trash by one of the ball boy's seats.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 2002 Baseball Playoffs thread