or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › macbook pro won't boot

macbook pro won't boot

post #1 of 8
15-inch macbook pro won't boot! warranty just ran-out 20 days ago of course. get white screen with flashing folder that has question mark on it.

have tried to reboot pRAM with no success.

Help Please.
post #2 of 8
It can't "see" OSX, on your HD, which it obviously needs to start up. This may indicate that your HD has crashed.
Have you tried starting up from the install DVD? If that doesn't work either it could be that the I/O on the motherboard, which is shared between the HD and the superdrive, and is the gateway for data to the CPU, is knackered... (while the HD may still be OK).

You didn't mention trying to restore a backup. Is that because you don't have one?
post #3 of 8
There's been 3 posts here in the last few days all MBP's exhibiting the same sort of issue. I wonder if it's a bad batch of drives or SSD's or something ... stabbing in the dark I know but still ...

I posted a long list of things to try here http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=119889
Maybe one will work for you

Also it would really help if the posters gave us a few more details - :-)
You know, specs etc :-)
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

There's been 3 posts here in the last few days all MBP's exhibiting the same sort of issue. I wonder if it's a bad batch of drives or SSD's or something ... stabbing in the dark I know but still ...

I posted a long list of things to try here http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=119889
Maybe one will work for you

Also it would really help if the posters gave us a few more details - :-)
You know, specs etc :-)

Sorry for lack of details. No I didn't back it up. (stupid I know). When I ran from disk it still does not find hard drive from utilities menu.

Is Fujitsu model MJA 2250BH serial ATA. 250GB drive.
post #5 of 8
Did take out drive and reinstalled it. Got it to boot once. Copied abou half the files then it froze.
I shut it off. When I got back to it later got same problem. Can't find hard drive.
post #6 of 8
Sorry to hear that rms3 - seems there's quite a few users with problems and MBP's at the moment.

Maybe the only option is to take it in to Apple - there was an issue last year with the nVidia gpu's discussed here
http://discussions.apple.com/message...ageID=11797027
post #7 of 8
have appt at genius bar this afternoon. keep your fingers crossed for me. have found good deal on newegg for replacement drive just in case.

will still be cheaper than paying for the apple cae anyway.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms3 View Post

Did take out drive and reinstalled it. Got it to boot once. Copied abou half the files then it froze.
I shut it off. When I got back to it later got same problem. Can't find hard drive.

It's now seriously looking like your HD has crashed. I'd take it in to Apple Tech.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › macbook pro won't boot