or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to unveil iOS 5, new MobileMe at media event in early April
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored to unveil iOS 5, new MobileMe at media event in early April - Page 3

post #81 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

It'd be better if the new OS ran molasses-slow on the older hardware?

Anyway I guarantee older hardware will NOT brick itself because it doesn't run the latest OS. I'd actually be surprised if iOS supports hardware back as far as rumored.

Look. Let's actually deal with the evidence. The 1G and the 3G ran at the sane speed. The 3GS was a speed update. Hence the S. The iPhone 4 was about different form factors and screen. Speed was not it's selling point.

If iOS 5 runs on the iPhone 4 it runs on the 3GS.

In fact a 3GS can be their cheap phone going forward.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #82 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

I wish it were as simple as that. The past tells us otherwise and the 3Gs should become obsolete when the iPhone 5 hits the shelves.

A good way of looking at this is with their Apple Care product. It only extends the warranty an extra year.

Look mate. Let me be clear. If iOS can run on the iPhone 4 it can run on the 3Gs. and last year iOS 4 ran on the 3G. So you don't even have the past on your side, not that past behaviour is any predictor if future behaviour.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #83 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I find it annoying because it very often starts dialing the wrong person. My old dumb Moto phone had pretty decent voice recognition and as I recall it would say back something like "calling Bob. Is this correct?" and waited for a yes.

I have several numbers for my wife and it asks which one I want--very helpful.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #84 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Look mate. Let me be clear. If iOS can run on the iPhone 4 it can run on the 3Gs. and last year iOS 4 ran on the 3G. So you don't even have the past on your side, not that past behaviour is any predictor if future behaviour.

I agree with you, I just don't think it will happen that way. I believe 4.3 would run on THE ORIGINAL iPhone just fine. But Apple has billions in the bank for a reason, mostly because they MOVE ON to the latest greatest and don't look back.
post #85 of 110
I think there could be hope for the notifications system in iOS considering that last year Rich Dellinger left Palm to become Apple's Senior User Interface Designer. I'm currently a WebOS phone user, and would love to see a similar notifications system come to the iPhone by the time my contract is up. Of all smartphone OSes, WebOS has some of the most intuitive implementations I've come across - not only with notifications, but their Synergy system for contacts (dynamically adding them from my Gmail, facebook & other sources).
post #86 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

I agree with you, I just don't think it will happen that way. I believe 4.3 would run on THE ORIGINAL iPhone just fine. But Apple has billions in the bank for a reason, mostly because they MOVE ON to the latest greatest and don't look back.

Yeah, but the original iPhone was also obsolete for being EDGE-only, so for the end user it would seem more acceptable for Apple to push them to a better radio that would give everyone at least some advantage, than to kill of 5.0 support for the 3GS... which would make no sense at all.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #87 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Look. Let's actually deal with the evidence. The 1G and the 3G ran at the sane speed. The 3GS was a speed update. Hence the S. The iPhone 4 was about different form factors and screen. Speed was not it's selling point.

The evidence is that the iPhone 4 had a bump in both processor speed and RAM. "Selling point" does not necessarily have any relevance to what iOS the thing will run well and features it will be able to support.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #88 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I have several numbers for my wife and it asks which one I want--very helpful.

I have a similar situation. I guess I should learn to be vague and let it ask for clarification. I might say call Cheri "work" and it mostly gets it right but sometimes it just responds with 'calling Ted' which I can't understand because even if I was drunk, the word Cheri sounds nothing like Ted. I say play Led Zeppelin - playing Steely Dan. Not even close. It may have something to do with background noise because if you launch VC and start typing the noise from the keyboard prompts the VC app to try to analyze the sound of the keys and keeps responding with nonsense like 'the time is 4:54 PM' or 'Nothing is playing'. It should at least be smart enough to understand that typing is not a voice command.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #89 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Yeah, but the original iPhone was also obsolete for being EDGE-only, so for the end user it would seem more acceptable for Apple to push them to a better radio that would give everyone at least some advantage, than to kill of 5.0 support for the 3GS... which would make no sense at all.

I think your hopes are too high.

Why would apple support the 3Gs when there is a shiny new iPhone 5 out for people to buy?

I KNOW iOS 5, 6 and maybe even 7 will be able to run on the 3Gs but will they? nah.


Heres a thought, what is iOS 5.0 REQUIRES an A4 CPU or higher???? What then?

it would sorta be like killing of the Power PC all over again!
post #90 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Leaving your computer on 24/7 is NOT less wear and tear than shutting it down!

Most computer components (including hard drives and fans, the only things in your computer to get wear and tear) are rated in hours between mean rate of failure. The act of starting up and shutting down (which is is designed to do) is so minimal that if you (technically) want to get the maximum number of years out of your computer you definitely want to shut it down at night.

I disagree but not but not worth arguing over since Mac hardware outlasts their ability upgrade the OS anyway.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #91 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Every time there's an Apple event, they say Apple's going to unveil the new MobileMe.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Mobile Me is the new Beatles announcement.
post #92 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

This is the tip of the month for me. Cool!

It is a great tip. I didn't know you could hold your finger down on a symbol and return swiftly to the regular keyboard.

But it's not enough. There is plenty of GUI room for the commonly used symbols to not have to toggle in the first place.

And like someone else said, you should be able to customize your keyboard for what you're trying to accomplish. Programming, writing a novel, chatting, etc, all could be customized to increase efficiency.
post #93 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

This exact thing has happened with each new iPhone release since the 3GS cam out.

iPhone 2G is stuck at 3.1.3
iPhone 3G is stuck at 4.2.1
iPhone 3Gs WILL stop at 4.3.0-X
I am willing to bet the iPhone 4 will stop at iOS 5.x right when 6.x is coming out, we will have this whole conversation again.

Actually, based on the "trend" you "identify", the 3GS should be updated to at least 5.x.x, and the IP4 to 6.x.x, ...
post #94 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, based on the "trend" you "identify", the 3GS should be updated to at least 5.x.x, and the IP4 to 6.x.x, ...

He's trying to act like he's not trolling but then making FUD claims that Apple won't ever update the iPhone 3GS again after 4.3 without backing up with statement of "fact" is a classic troll tactic.
post #95 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Why would those features be left off for 3Gs owners?

The 3GS has as much RAM as an iPad so I don't expect any huge loss of functionality for iOS5. There may be some features, anything CPU/GPU intensive, that is either disabled on the 3GS or toned down. I think Apple probably learned their lesson with the 3G/iOS4 and will be less likely to force any updates on people that will reduce speed/usability.
post #96 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I disagree but not but not worth arguing over since Mac hardware outlasts their ability upgrade the OS anyway.

Used to, all drive manufacturers published the MTBF for a drive on their spec sheets. They don't do this anymore, my guess because it became almost meaningless. Now, the guestimate to replace MTBF is the number of "start stop cycles". I selected and looked up a drive at random, the Seagate Momentus, which has a start stop cycle duty of 600,000.

So, you're right, it's not worth arguing over because the average computer will be replaced/upgraded long before the drive will likely go out, regardless of how you treat the computer (leave it on, or put it to sleep).

Which ultimately proves the point-- leaving a computer on isn't "safer" nor will it magically extend its life. Regardless of where you fall on the environment issue (or whether you care or not), all you're doing is quite literally wasting electricity and costing yourself money. Let's say you have an iMac that uses roughly 90-watts; keeping it on 24/7 will run you at least $120/year doing nothing. You can reduce that by two-thirds by simply sleeping it at the end of an 8-hour day.
post #97 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Used to, all drive manufacturers published the MTBF for a drive on their spec sheets. They don't do this anymore, my guess because it became almost meaningless. Now, the guestimate to replace MTBF is the number of "start stop cycles". I selected and looked up a drive at random, the Seagate Momentus, which has a start stop cycle duty of 600,000.

So, you're right, it's not worth arguing over because the average computer will be replaced/upgraded long before the drive will likely go out, regardless of how you treat the computer (leave it on, or put it to sleep).

Which ultimately proves the point-- leaving a computer on isn't "safer" nor will it magically extend its life. Regardless of where you fall on the environment issue (or whether you care or not), all you're doing is quite literally wasting electricity and costing yourself money. Let's say you have an iMac that uses roughly 90-watts; keeping it on 24/7 will run you at least $120/year doing nothing. You can reduce that by two-thirds by simply sleeping it at the end of an 8-hour day.

They invented this thing called power management a long time ago. You should check out the iPad and MBAs, they can left in sleep mode for a month and still instantly come back to life to be used. You should check how modern and not so modern computers use power. Youre acting like all these Macs run Stuxnet at night to maximize power usage. Crazy!
post #98 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

They invented this thing called power management a long time ago. You should check out the iPad and MBAs, they can left in sleep mode for a month and still instantly come back to life to be used. You should check how modern and not so modern computers use power. Youre acting like all these Macs run Stuxnet at night to maximize power usage. Crazy!

Um, heck, that's all I'm trying to get people to do; sleep their computers!

You wouldn't believe the number of people I run across (typically Windows users, go figure) who literally never even set up a idle-sleep schedule on their computers. Both my father-in-law and my brother-in-law are guilty of this (and both Windows users), and that leaves me scratching my head. But, to each his own...
post #99 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Um, heck, that's all I'm trying to get people to do; sleep their computers!

You wouldn't believe the number of people I run across (typically Windows users, go figure) who literally never even set up a idle-sleep schedule on their computers. Both my father-in-law and my brother-in-law are guilty of this (and both Windows users), and that leaves me scratching my head. But, to each his own...

I don't know about other people but Windows XP killed two of my HDDs (on two different machines) back in 2002 and 2003 when I used PCs because of putting the PC to sleep. After that I never let my Windows PCs go to sleep. It was a bug in XP that MS fixed years later.

When I switched to Mac I was surprised how well sleep worked. My MBP go weeks without shutdowns or restarts.
post #100 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondolsen View Post

Letters with apostrophe and the @ is possible:
1. Apostrophe over letters; á, ñ, ö, are possible if you hold your finger on the letter you want to have something added, and boom, there's all the different a's, n's, and so on.
2. With the @, same procedure: hold your finger down from the symbols-key, and drag it all the way to the @, and release, when you release, you're back on the regular keyboard. Boom.

Boom. Boom. (I know it's not the quickest way, but it's better than having five extra buttons. )

That is a useful tip, but you are confusing accents and apostrophes. The little symbols above and below letters (ü, ç, etc) are called accents. Apostrophes are placeholders for skipped letters, (you're, it's) and modifiers for the possessive form of nouns (Bob's computer, Susan's dog).

Currently iOS has some handy auto insertion rules for apostrophes, but for cases where you need to type them manually, you have to switch to another page on the keyboard which is a pain, even with the hold and drag shortcut.
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
Reply
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
Reply
post #101 of 110
Originally Posted by trondolsen
Letters with apostrophe and the @ is possible:
1. Apostrophe over letters; á, ñ, ö, are possible if you hold your finger on the letter you want to have something added, and boom, there's all the different a's, n's, and so on.
2. With the @, same procedure: hold your finger down from the symbols-key, and drag it all the way to the @, and release, when you release, you're back on the regular keyboard. Boom.

Boom. Boom. (I know it's not the quickest way, but it's better than having five extra buttons. )



Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

This is the tip of the month for me. Cool!

Originally Posted by Dave K.
\t1.\tDifferent sounds from texts from different people

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

As of iOS 4.2, it already does this!

Go into contacts, edit a contact and select their text tone. Voila!


Now in the 2nd case, Dave K may not be running iOS 4.2 but in the case of trondolsen, iOS has done this since the iPhone was released!

I know Apple kit is easy to use, and iOS especially so, but who knows what wonders you may discover if you actually read the accompanying manual that Apple spent some time writing for just this reason ;-)
post #102 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

I

Why would apple support the 3Gs when there is a shiny new iPhone 5 out for people to buy?
:

Because they want a cheap model. It may not be the 3GS - but that's my guess. A cheap model which runs iOS 5 and sells, of contract for $200 ( ish) will gain the middle and low middle end.

It can even be updated going forward - see the iBook for example. There could be a 3GS line.

You seem to think that Apple want to be for the rich - that makes sense for early adopters but not for a maturing market.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #103 of 110
I've been an Apple fan for long enough to know that they don't like the word "free". The new MobileMe will probably be in two parts: basic free service for sync, find my phone, etc with a paid MobileMe+ if you want all the new/extra features such as cloud streaming, web hosting, etc.
post #104 of 110
self-storage from a home computer for streaming, rather than remotely saved files hosted by Apple.

I'd like Apple to use MobileMe as a personal cloud linking all my user accounts on different devices together. Clearly Apple wants people to have a main computer, a portable like an Air or iPad, plus an iPhone. But they've done nothing to turn this into an ecosystem of data and programs.

When you are on your own LAN, you should be able to access anything you have regardless of which device it's on. Once you leave your LAN, content on the mobile devices should have been sideloaded using Smart-Everything, with slower access to the rest via the net ( including a Finder on every device, to all your content - it's just text ).

And your MobileMe cloud should be able to back up your content the right number of times regardless of having a full iTunes on a Mini, half the iTunes content on an Air plus other stuff on an iPad and iPhone. And the same applied to all other content ( files, photos, calendars, everything ).

They've created a very nice hardware ecosystem, but the content is all over the place.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #105 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

My guess

1) notifications

I presume you mean improved, cleverer notifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd

2) swipe to change apps (as in fullscreen Lion)

That's not a guess, we've already seen that in a beta. May or may not be iPad only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd

3) some kind of mission control

You are joking right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd

4) widgets.

Clarify what you mean by widgets? Do you mean active icons, like the Calendar icon? Because if you mean mini-apps, that ain't happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd

5) integration with the cloud. If you own a song you can play it over Apple's servers. Upload the song (or rather a checksum) and then play it from Apple. This does not violate fair use.

iTunes mobile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd

6) lots more.

Apple never does lots of anything. They app fewer things features than people want, and try to do them well. Tech Radar has a decent post on iOS 5. The most notable thing missing from your post is wireless sync.

Myself, I am looking for more humble features like a button in the iPod app called "Update All Podcasts". With one tap you could get your podcasts up to date without leaving the iPod app. Custom text sounds and use-a-song-as-a-ringtone, built-in. Without the need for an extra app. And a comma-space-CAPS shortcut by double-tapping the "?123" key.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #106 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

This is the tip of the month for me. Cool!

Tip of the Month !

Can we have *that* as a new feature?

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #107 of 110
MobileMe is going to make us all its bitches in the future. Mark my words.
post #108 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I think you are missing something. It is certainly possible that a new feature in iOS5 might be the ability to stream your media from a home computer, over the internet to your iOS device. But what this is talking about is Apple's huge server farm basically hosting your media collection in the cloud for streaming to your iOS device. Your home computer would not be used in this scenario, so you could definitely leave it at home and turned off or in sleep mode.

As for turning computers off...I commend your desire to save money and energy, however, I think alot of people out there are not as eco-friendly as you and leave their machines on constantly.

Self storage to me sounds like storing on the users machine. If apple stored it then that would be completely different and a service potentially worth paying for.

As for turning computers off, I'm sure a lot of people leave them on all the time. But I'm sure there are others like me. I have an iMac and a Mac Book. The iMac only gets used once a fortnight as the Mac Books easier so I don't see the point leaving it on, however it has the big hard drive and therefore has all my music and films on it. As people get more smartphone and tablets that actual use of the pc will get less and become more of a place to store stuff, in which case people may start turning them off, if like me you only use it twice a month.
post #109 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

4) Preference setting for backlight/sleep timer.
5) Optimized picture compression for the iPad in Aperture.
6) Folder ability in mail.


Flag email, still missing. Access to wifi and other settings from the homescreen, á la SBS settings. Better notifications and multitasking, both look about 3 years out of date. Just steal from webOS, everyone else is.
post #110 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I presume you mean improved, cleverer notifications.

Obviously. I mean notifications are already there.

Quote:
That's not a guess, we've already seen that in a beta. May or may not be iPad only.

It was a guess for me. I based it on the lion preview not 4.3.

Quote:
You are joking right?

Well some kind of expose for apps and windows. Apps will have one window, so I suppose the mission control idea is wrong, so lets say an expose mechanism for switching apps. The present system sucks.

Quote:
Clarify what you mean by widgets? Do you mean active icons, like the Calendar icon? Because if you mean mini-apps, that ain't happening.

Something like dashboard. Are you worried this will not be done because Apple are scared of web apps. They already have web apps. Have some kind of mechanism for dashboard type apps ( basically JS working on a transparent bg) on the lock screen only. Cant see why that wont be done.

Quote:
iTunes mobile.

I wasnt guessing the name.

Quote:
Apple never does lots of anything. They app fewer things features than people want, and try to do them well. Tech Radar has a decent post on iOS 5. The most notable thing missing from your post is wireless sync.

Most of those feature are in OS X so the coding in minimal. Am expecing more.

Quote:
Myself, I am looking for more humble features like a button in the iPod app called "Update All Podcasts". With one tap you could get your podcasts up to date without leaving the iPod app. Custom text sounds and use-a-song-as-a-ringtone, built-in. Without the need for an extra app. And a comma-space-CAPS shortcut by double-tapping the "?123" key.

Well good idea. But not a headline.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple rumored to unveil iOS 5, new MobileMe at media event in early April
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to unveil iOS 5, new MobileMe at media event in early April