or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Heliophysics, Solar flares etc.

Heliophysics, Solar flares etc.

post #1 of 17
I have a recent new found interest in all things Heliophysics. I wanted to see if any here are interested in this subject and if you predict any solar maximum events which could disrupt our day to day lives in the near future.

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Great educational video to get you up to speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqKFQ7z0Nuk

The above link will take you to NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory website.

Also worth noting is the recent availability of the STEREO project which allows full imaging of the entire Sun both Earth side and Far side for a window of about the next 8 years.

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/

If you pay attention to recent space weather we have had several recent flare activities.

March 7th being most recent. Take a look http://spaceweather.com/

Great video from this youtuber http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJBTmaRURU

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 17
The universe is pretty fucking amazing. I can't fathom what it's like to go through life thinking I have all the answers to the eternal questions. I feel like that would significantly sell the universe short.

I'm really glad you are taking this interest in science, Fellows.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The universe is pretty fucking amazing. I can't fathom what it's like to go through life thinking I have all the answers to the eternal questions. I feel like that would significantly sell the universe short.

BR you know I love ya dude. I am not at all worried about selling the universe short. My heart is in a place to want to be Christ-like as I do believe Jesus is who he said he is. I want to do the best I can which is not always that great to serve my neighbor and glorify God. I find that Science when it is not defiled and corrupted points to a creation AND a creator.

I don't for one moment believe that this is all just material with no intelligence behind it or within it.

Peace bro.

Fellows

post #4 of 17
We lost this man far too soon.

Quote:
Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

Carl Sagan
Pale Blue Dot, 1994

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

I have a recent new found interest in all things Heliophysics. I wanted to see if any here are interested in this subject and if you predict any solar maximum events which could disrupt our day to day lives in the near future.

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Great educational video to get you up to speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqKFQ7z0Nuk

The above link will take you to NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory website.

Also worth noting is the recent availability of the STEREO project which allows full imaging of the entire Sun both Earth side and Far side for a window of about the next 8 years.

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/

If you pay attention to recent space weather we have had several recent flare activities.

March 7th being most recent. Take a look http://spaceweather.com/

Great video from this youtuber http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJBTmaRURU

Fellowship

good for you!

I visit spaceweather.com daily, looking for the latest aurora pictures, and off to Norway again in September to try to get my own aurora photos around Tromso. I started doing a degree in Astrophysics - so im kind of into this stuff I guess, part of course is to go to Mallorca in September and look through a 'real' telescope. Should be fun.

I am wondering if this solar cycle is going to be a cracker, looking amazing - have been disappointed for a while as the sun fell to sleep for a couple of years - but now it seems to be going great again. Its certainly true that massive eruptions can disrupt many of our daily activities, knocking out satellites and power grids, etc, but Im all for it, as long as it doesn't wipe life off earth

Get yourself up to Canada if you can, go see the aurora for yourself.

Heres a link you might not have come across
http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/astrono...ax/connect.asp
post #6 of 17
Quote:

We lost this man far too soon.

hey BR, hows the teaching coming along?
post #7 of 17

Heres a photo I took last summer, when I bivvied out on top of the French Alps, and spent the night with a New Zealander - Andy from Days Bay near Wellington - who was cycling round the perimeter of France.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcUK View Post

Heres a photo I took last summer, when I bivvied out on top of the French Alps, and spent the night with a New Zealander - Andy from Days Bay near Wellington - who was cycling round the perimeter of France.

marcUK thanks for your posts here. I enjoy these kinds of dialogue!

Our thoughts go out to those in Japan.

Fellows

post #9 of 17
Quote:

Heres a link you might not have come across
http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/astrono...ax/connect.asp

Thank you!

Fellows

post #10 of 17
I am glad to have installed two great free NASA apps that send me push notifications about astronomical matters: 3D Sun and ExoPlanet
post #11 of 17
Quote:

hey BR, hows the teaching coming along?

Lots of stupid busywork so far in the credential classes, but I'm learning lots of cool stuff. Enjoying your eigenvectors and hamiltonians yet? *shudder*

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #12 of 17
Quote:

Lots of stupid busywork so far in the credential classes, but I'm learning lots of cool stuff. Enjoying your eigenvectors and hamiltonians yet? *shudder*

hehe! Not yet!

But results are coming in thick and fast, had worst one last week only 88% - complete disaster! by october, I should be a third of the way through. My head spins!

My friend is moving to Papakura, NZ in two weeks time, and I have enquired about transferring my studies to NZ, which is a goer - (for a small fee) - I plan to get this years work finished by October, do the Norway and telescope things, then move out there for their summer, and see if I can make a go of it over there. Friend was there for a month last October, sold on the place, beautiful place and chilled out people.

Been living in the south of England near the New Forest since I came back from Norway, and I have to say, this is a lovely part of the country scenery wise and great bike rides, but this is the Geriatric Tory Ward as far as people go. Worst bunch of picky, uptight, anxious, panicky, self-righteous, self-importance, selfish, insecure, mentally unstable fuckers I have ever met.

Its a chore - even for me. Cant wait to go.
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Unbelievable. Fellows posts a perfectly interesting thread and you use it to attack people of faith.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Unbelievable. Fellows posts a perfectly interesting thread and you use it to attack people of faith.

there was no such thing, however seeing as you have had a knee-jerk reaction, and used it to spoil this thread, pretty much gives away your position and understanding.

Lets get back On Topic....Desperately awaiting pics over at spaceweather, there was a magnificent aurora storm last night....
post #15 of 17
Quote:

there was no such thing, however seeing as you have had a knee-jerk reaction, and used it to spoil this thread, pretty much gives away your position and understanding.

Lets get back On Topic....Desperately awaiting pics over at spaceweather, there was a magnificent aurora storm last night....

no harm no foul. I enjoy all of you.

Frankly I like that BR (or anyone for that matter) questions me or my beliefs or the beliefs or thoughts of any of the rest of you guys as well. I would not want anyone to surrender their thoughts if they truly question in their heart. I took no harm from BR's comments.

Fellows

post #16 of 17
Quote:

hehe! Not yet!

But results are coming in thick and fast, had worst one last week only 88% - complete disaster! by october, I should be a third of the way through. My head spins!

My friend is moving to Papakura, NZ in two weeks time, and I have enquired about transferring my studies to NZ, which is a goer - (for a small fee) - I plan to get this years work finished by October, do the Norway and telescope things, then move out there for their summer, and see if I can make a go of it over there. Friend was there for a month last October, sold on the place, beautiful place and chilled out people.

Been living in the south of England near the New Forest since I came back from Norway, and I have to say, this is a lovely part of the country scenery wise and great bike rides, but this is the Geriatric Tory Ward as far as people go. Worst bunch of picky, uptight, anxious, panicky, self-righteous, self-importance, selfish, insecure, mentally unstable fuckers I have ever met.

Its a chore - even for me. Cant wait to go.

marcUK I wanted to get back to you to say your photography is out of this world. Pardon the pun. And I am glad to see the seeming joy in your posts. I don't always remember you being this positive.. Don't take that as a jab but I have to say I am glad to see you around and sharing in this thread with the info you shared!

Nice to see you!

Fellows

post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

marcUK I wanted to get back to you to say your photography is out of this world. Pardon the pun. And I am glad to see the seeming joy in your posts. I don't always remember you being this positive.. Don't take that as a jab but I have to say I am glad to see you around and sharing in this thread with the info you shared!

Nice to see you!

Fellows

lets just say - it was somewhat enhanced, and probably a bit over enthusiastically too but its all there, nothing fake.

Im full of joy, except at the moment. I'm going to scream, kick the desk and throw the printer out the window, - or did I just do that - shit - but apart from that things are great. Focussed and determined, makes a change...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Heliophysics, Solar flares etc.