or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 5.0.4 with improved stability for plug-ins

Apple releases Safari 5.0.4 with improved stability for plug-ins

post #1 of 28
Safari 5.0.4 was released by Apple on Wednesday, packing a number of bug fixes, compatibility improvements, and improved stability for websites with multiple instances of plug-in content.

Safari 5.0.4 is available on Mac OS X via Software Update or via direct download from Apple. The 39.3MB download contains improvements to stability, compatibility, accessibility and security. Changes in the update, according to Apple, include:
Improved stability for webpages with multiple instances of plug-in content
Improved compatibility with webpages with image reflections and transition effects
A fix for an issue that could cause some webpages to print with incorrect layouts
A fix for an issue that could cause content to display incorrectly on webpages with plug-ins
A fix for an issue that could cause a Screen Saver to appear while video is playing in Safari
Improved compatibility with VoiceOver on webpages with text input areas and lists with selectable items
Improved stability when using VoiceOver
The last update for Safari, version 5.0.3, was released last November. It also included bug fixes and security updates.

The last major update to the Safari Web browser came last June, when Apple released Safari 5. It included a 30 percent performance increase, the addition of Bing search, and secure sandboxed extensions.
post #2 of 28
I wonder if the multiple gigabyte memory leak is fixed yet.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 28
Hmm, Java fix yesterday and Safari fix today.

When is Pwn2own again?
post #4 of 28
I wonder if the multiple gigabyte memory leak is fixed yet. ??????????
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Memory leak, not memory echo...

post #6 of 28
I thought the problem was Flash. But again I have no problems with Flash FF or IE.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

I thought the problem was Flash. But again I have no problems with Flash FF or IE.

On your... PC, then?

post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

11th!
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean the one where if you have the MS Office plugin installed (Office installs it, and reinstalls it every time there's an update) it sucks up all your system memory and then systematically all your swap space until your system runs completely out of memory?

The fix for that is to disable the Office plugin. Who needs an MS Office plugin?
post #10 of 28
I wonder if they've done enough to patch the holes that Charlie Miller will exploit at Pwn2Own.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

Hmm, Java fix yesterday and Safari fix today.

When is Pwn2own again?

You'd think they'd just wait and include the slew of bugs that get discovered in one update.
post #12 of 28
But I still have the same problem. While I'm playing video in Safari in fullscreen mode, after sometime the screen saver appears. Does anyone have any clue how to fix this annoying problem?
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You mean the one where if you have the MS Office plugin installed (Office installs it, and reinstalls it every time there's an update) it sucks up all your system memory and then systematically all your swap space until your system runs completely out of memory?

The fix for that is to disable the Office plugin. Who needs an MS Office plugin?

No. I've never had Office.

I'm talking about how Safari refuses to give memory back to the computer until it has been quit, even when it isn't using it.

post #14 of 28
Quote:

Uh, how does one do that?
Is it under MacHD/library/appsupport/Microsoft?
There are a whole bunch of files there. Which ones do you bin?
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Uh, how does one do that?
Is it under MacHD/library/appsupport/Microsoft?
There are a whole bunch of files there. Which ones do you bin?

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

I forget the name, but it's obvious when you see it.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You look foolish for a statement like that.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

After having my vanilla Safari installation (no plugins) on a Vanilla SL installation spiral down into a gigabytes-wide pit of uncollected garbage so regularly and reliably that I have mostly switched to Chrome instead, I have to disagree. In fact, I think you look foolish for your statement. Mostly because you don't explain anything, unlike the guy who made the original comment.

To rewrite your statement would be to write "You are a fool." - hardly constructive dialogue.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hismastersvoice View Post

After having my vanilla Safari installation (no plugins) on a Vanilla SL installation spiral down into a gigabytes-wide pit of uncollected garbage so regularly and reliably that I have mostly switched to Chrome instead, I have to disagree. In fact, I think you look foolish for your statement. Mostly because you don't explain anything, unlike the guy who made the original comment.

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hismastersvoice View Post

To rewrite your statement would be to write "You are a fool." - hardly constructive dialogue.

No. Anyone can make a foolish comment, making themselves look foolish, without being a fool.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #19 of 28
Quote:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

I forget the name, but it's obvious when you see it.

Done. Thanks!
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You obviously don't use Safari.

post #21 of 28
There's a problem with Safari and Youtube, at least on my machine.

If Safari is on 64 bit, the videos simply don't play. If I put Safari on 32 bit, then it works. Anybody else have a similar problem? I'm not sure if this is a Safari problem or a Youtube problem. Youtube is constantly updating things (often for the worse), so I wouldn't be surprised if the fault lay with Youtube.
post #22 of 28
Webkit nightly is your friEnd. Both safari and chrome are pretty close to passing the arbitrary, yet fun html5 test.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Available for: Mac OS X v10.5.8, Mac OS X Server v10.5.8, Mac OS X v10.6.5 or later, Mac OS X Server v10.6.5 or later, Windows 7, Vista, XP SP2 or later

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: Multiple memory corruption issues existed in WebKit. Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution.
CVE-ID

CVE-2010-1824 : kuzzcc, and wushi of team509 working with TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative

CVE-2011-0111 : Sergey Glazunov

CVE-2011-0112 : Yuzo Fujishima of Google Inc.

CVE-2011-0113 : Andreas Kling of Nokia

CVE-2011-0114 : Chris Evans of Google Chrome Security Team

CVE-2011-0115 : J23 working with TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative, and Emil A Eklund of Google, Inc

CVE-2011-0116 : an anonymous researcher working with TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative

CVE-2011-0117 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0118 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0119 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0120 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0121 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0122 : Slawomir Blazek

CVE-2011-0123 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0124 : Yuzo Fujishima of Google Inc.

CVE-2011-0125 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0126 : Mihai Parparita of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0127 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0128 : David Bloom

CVE-2011-0129 : Famlam

CVE-2011-0130 : Apple

CVE-2011-0131 : wushi of team509

CVE-2011-0132 : wushi of team509 working with TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative

CVE-2011-0133 : wushi of team509 working with TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative

CVE-2011-0134 : Jan Tosovsky

CVE-2011-0135 : an anonymous reporter

CVE-2011-0136 : Sergey Glazunov

CVE-2011-0137 : Sergey Glazunov

CVE-2011-0138 : kuzzcc

CVE-2011-0139 : kuzzcc

CVE-2011-0140 : Sergey Glazunov

CVE-2011-0141 : Chris Rohlf of Matasano Security

CVE-2011-0142 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0143 : Slawomir Blazek and Sergey Glazunov

CVE-2011-0144 : Emil A Eklund of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0145 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0146 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0147 : Dirk Schulze

CVE-2011-0148 : Michal Zalewski of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0149 : wushi of team509 working with TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative, and SkyLined of Google Chrome Security Team

CVE-2011-0150 : Michael Gundlach of safariadblock.com

CVE-2011-0151 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0152 : SkyLined of Google Chrome Security Team

CVE-2011-0153 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0154 : an anonymous researcher working with TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative

CVE-2011-0155 : Aki Helin of OUSPG

CVE-2011-0156 : Abhishek Arya (Inferno) of Google, Inc.

CVE-2011-0165 : Sergey Glazunov

CVE-2011-0168 : Sergey Glazunov

It does address a whole bunch of issue related to memory corruption. Kudos to Google for raising these defects.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #24 of 28
VUPEN cracked Safari in “5 seconds,” claimed several messages on Twitter from attendees.

So much for patch day. LINK

ArsTech
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by holywarrior007 View Post

But I still have the same problem. While I'm playing video in Safari in fullscreen mode, after sometime the screen saver appears. Does anyone have any clue how to fix this annoying problem?

I actually doubt this is a Safari problem anyways. The screen saver pops up on me when running iTunes.
post #26 of 28
This patch would have been too late for pwn2own. They lockdown the target machines a week before the show. Doubt the patch would have helped anyway. Also how did they defeat aslr on safari as that's not supported till lion?
post #27 of 28
\\
Can anyone (preferably a programmer or someone who understands that realm) explain to me in relatively simple terms WHY does Safari feel like the weight of Final Cut Pro but Chrome feels like the weight of TextEdit in OS X?

btw, im running a 2 x 3.2 Pro w/16GB ram so that's clearly not the problem.
post #28 of 28
Safari, IE hacked first at Pwn2Own

The exploit used by the winning hacker of Safari still exists in 5.0.4
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 5.0.4 with improved stability for plug-ins