or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple rumored to enter new collaboration with Canon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored to enter new collaboration with Canon

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
Apple is said to be teaming up with Canon in a new partnership related to photography, although details are scant.

Canon builds cameras for both still photography and video, as well as producing copiers printers and other imaging devices. That suggests the "upcoming collaboration" with Apple, noted by CanonRumors, could pertain to Aperture or the upcoming redesign of Final Cut.

Aperture

Apple has won over a new audience of professional and prosumer photographers with Aperture since the opening of the Mac App Store, where the title has remained in the top ten best selling apps since the store launched.

Aperture is currently number one in Top Grossing apps, costing $79.99. That's a steep discount from the $199 retail price that Aperture 3 debuted at last year. Aperture's exclusive spot in the Mac App Store has given it a high volume, alternative retail outlet where it doesn't compete for attention with Adobe's comparable Lightroom.

The new attention (and revenues) that Aperture is getting could promote a new cross promotional collaboration with Canon's cameras.

Final Cut and iMovie

Another potential collaboration with Canon may involve Final Cut, slated for a "dramatic and ambitious" update this spring. Like Aperture, Final Cut hasn't seen a major new reference release since 2009. When Apple releases its next Final Cut package, it's likely to do so in partnership with one or more hardware makers.

Apple reportedly ran into problems in shipping a Final Cut Studio update last year, with the Shake and Motion teams unable to achieve consensus on plans to merge the entire package into a unified user interface that focused on the mainstream market rather than developing a targeted, leading edge niche product.

Apple could also target consumer devices with iMovie features such as the company's iFrame video format, which imports high quality video from cameras quickly without requiring conversion. Canon recently added support for iMovie 8's iFrame video capture on some PowerShot and IXUS branded point and shoot cameras.

Update: In a new Intel press rerelease, Hiroo Edakubo, Group Executive of Canons Video Products Group stated, "We are excited about Thunderbolt technology and feel it will bring new levels of performance and simplicity to the video creation market."

MobileMe Photo Stream

A third potential area for collaboration between Apple and Canon pertains to the company's MobileMe cloud services. iOS 4.3 betas contained a new Photo Booth app and mention of Photo Stream, an automatic photo upload service that could upload images and video to the cloud.

Neither feature has yet made it to shipping devices, but will likely do so in the near future. iPad 2 will debut Photo Booth and FaceTime support when it ships on Friday, and scaled down versions of Photo Booth and the Photo Stream service could potentially ship in the next release of iOS due before the major 5.0 version expected this summer, rumored to appear alongside significant new updates in MobileMe.

Canon already supports WiFi enabled SD Cards in some of its cameras. By adding support for the Photo Stream and other MobileMe services, the company could attract the attention of iOS users who already subscribe to MobileMe on their Mac or PC, iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

AirPlay and AirPrint

Canon could also announce support for iOS 4.3 AirPlay (as Pioneer recently did for its new audio receivers) or AirPrint features (currently limited largely to printers from HP and EFI's Fiery print server).
post #2 of 49
How about if Canon were to concentrate on optimizing low-light, high ISO images? Nikon is kicking their arses in this area. And a full frame high shutter speed dSLR wouldn't be bad either... (APS-H in 2011? Really?)

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #3 of 49
Even though there really aren't any worthwhile details, I'm glad to hear this collaboration is in the works!
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AirPlay and AirPrint

Canon could also announce support for iOS 4.3 AirPlay (as Pioneer recently did for its new audio receivers) or AirPrint features (currently limited largely to printers from HP and EFI's Fiery print server).

Or, maybe Apple is working with Canon to make over-the-air transfer from a camera to, say, an iPad. Get rid of the camera cable or SD card reader altogether. Same technology as AirPrint, essentially.
post #5 of 49
How about Canon opens their dev kit to remotely control cameras via the iPad since the screen is much larger than a cameras display screen? Maybe within a mobile version of Aperture??
post #6 of 49
Hopefully Apple is working with Canon to see that their software and installers don't completely suck.
post #7 of 49
Bluetooth and/or 802.11 interfaces on Canon cameras.

In addition to the obvious use case of wireless download of pictures from Canon cameras to Apple devices, the killer application would be the capability to email/post your picture using your phone/iPad by live syncing the Canon camera to the Apple device. This could either be done by enabling a menu option on the Canon camera, or by being able to browse the pictures on the Canon camera using the iPhone/iPad and selection the ones to email/post...
post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Hopefully Apple is working with Canon to see that their software and installers don't completely suck.

I LOLed!

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #9 of 49
What about Canon working on the camera components/visual processing hardware in the iPhone? It's an area Apple don't have a massive amount of experience in, and one they may consider important... That said, phone cameras have very different constraints to normal cameras so perhaps Canon's experience wouldn't help much.
post #10 of 49
Apple used to use Canon's engine for their printers. I owned the LaserWriter 8500 and it was a beast of a laser printer. Maybe they'll collaborate and invent high quality lenses that will fit inside Apple's ever thinning mobile line.
post #11 of 49
My Apple store used to sell Canon DV camcorders, back in the day.
post #12 of 49
I wonder if it's related to this....


http://www.eoshd.com/content/577
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #13 of 49
I'll be glad when Apple can work/play AVCHD natively. My Windows box at work plays .mts files fine. I recently bought a Panasonic camera that records AVCHD. I just hope that it will be supported by whatever alliance Apple may be working out with Canon.
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Hopefully Apple is working with Canon to see that their software and installers don't completely suck.

GEEEZZUZZZ - canon (Note: small 'c')

The same canon that sent more than 50 small businesses broke (Oz slang
when they sold them some of the first color copiers available - told them they'd make a 'large' (Note: not SMALL) fortune (BTW: - I have 'Lists'
AND
when the POS copiers failed (ALL OF THEM - ALL THE CANON COPIERS!)
Canon was nowwhere to be seen.
50 Australian businesses went broke within 18 months -
I have a lonnnnnggggggggggggggggggggg

M
E
M
O
R
Y

(I think

BTW - I wasn't involved - just a tech-savy (sort of?) onlooker.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
post #15 of 49
Probably just Canon agreeing to make printers compatible with AirPrint.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #16 of 49
How about Apple team up with Olympus and Carl Zeiss AG? What about RED? However, doing research with Carl Zeiss AG would suffice.
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Maybe they'll collaborate and invent high quality lenses that will fit inside Apple's ever thinning mobile line.

The concept of a Canon iPhone lens was the first thing I thought of. Sourcing Canon for the lens and sensors in a single order would save a lot on economies of scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

How about if Canon were to concentrate on optimizing low-light, high ISO images? Nikon is kicking their arses in this area. And a full frame high shutter speed dSLR wouldn't be bad either... (APS-H in 2011? Really?)

I find APS-H to be really nice with telephoto photographers, esp. those who use the 70-200 zoom lenses. Gets you a little extra reach. Lots of people are willing to get 1.4x extenders that reduce f/stops and affect autofocus performance, and Canon basically gives people the effect for free.

Canon's camera and lens lineup's better for pro telephoto photography than Nikon. Everything else is generally better with Nikon, though.
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

How about Apple team up with Olympus and Carl Zeiss AG? What about RED? However, doing research with Carl Zeiss AG would suffice.

oo ooo

Yeah RED, RED

They're the ones 'we' want
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
post #19 of 49
What about a touchscreen interface for Canon? There's been talk about it. The dslr camera could get a lot easier to manage, but after all it's not a heavily necessary feature on a camera.

I bet it's something to do with software. Maybe the one buys the other? A fusion? The Apple Canon. Canon OS X. Apple 7D. Canon iMac. Apple PowerShot. Apple Magic Lenses... in aluminum!
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

oo ooo

Yeah RED, RED

They're the ones 'we' want

RED's setup for 4K is stunning both on price and quality. They are going to make it possible for the next wave of Spielberg's, Lucas, Raimes, etc., to make films on an actual budget which I can see breaking through in the Horror and Sci-Fi genres which are both growing long in the tooth.
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Probably just Canon agreeing to make printers compatible with AirPrint.

I hopt that's it. I'm a Nikon guy and I don't want to start playing second fiddle to Canon. I don't care if Apple starts selling Canon products, I just hate to see them having an unfair advantage in support/features.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I hopt that's it. I'm a Nikon guy and I don't want to start playing second fiddle to Canon. I don't care if Apple starts selling Canon products, I just hate to see them having an unfair advantage in support/features.

F cannon !
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

RED's setup for 4K is stunning both on price and quality. They are going to make it possible for the next wave of Spielberg's, Lucas, Raimes, etc., to make films on an actual budget which I can see breaking through in the Horror and Sci-Fi genres which are both growing long in the tooth.

We'll see some interesting things with Peter Jackson's "Hobbit" films. As I understand it, he'll be using stereo RED Epics. Should be epic!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

How about if Canon were to concentrate on optimizing low-light, high ISO images? Nikon is kicking their arses in this area. And a full frame high shutter speed dSLR wouldn't be bad either... (APS-H in 2011? Really?)

I have recently purchased a Nikon DSLR for my son, my first non-Canon camera purchase in as long as I can remember. Canon seems to be stagnating, is this perception flawed? I hope so. \

A meaningful collaboration with Apple could only be good for Canon. How about the possibility of bringing the A5 and other features to Canon hardware? (Just chewing the cud there - no, not weed! (At least, I don't think so!))
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvogt View Post

How about Canon opens their dev kit to remotely control cameras via the iPad since the screen is much larger than a cameras display screen? Maybe within a mobile version of Aperture??

A live-back, Canon DSLR has been able to be controlled from Apple computers directly for some time.

(Of course, you were referring specifically to the iPad, I understand that \)
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Bluetooth and/or 802.11 interfaces on Canon cameras.

In addition to the obvious use case of wireless download of pictures from Canon cameras to Apple devices, the killer application would be the capability to email/post your picture using your phone/iPad by live syncing the Canon camera to the Apple device. This could either be done by enabling a menu option on the Canon camera, or by being able to browse the pictures on the Canon camera using the iPhone/iPad and selection the ones to email/post...

With large raw image sizes now quite common and the capacity of camera memory cards to store large numbers of large files, perhaps Canon employing Thunderbolt would be newsworthy.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

How about Apple team up with Olympus and Carl Zeiss AG? What about RED? However, doing research with Carl Zeiss AG would suffice.

Remember this name? (Silly question \)

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zeiss_Ikon

It's being revived.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Probably just Canon agreeing to make printers compatible with AirPrint.

But I thought that nobody prints anything anymore.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

You must be new here
Also, a printer? Really? Printing is increasingly becoming a niche market. When you can carry anything you would need to read or show another person on a handheld device like an iPad or iPhone, printing isn't necessary.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple reportedly ran into problems in shipping a Final Cut Studio update last year, with the Shake and Motion teams unable to achieve consensus on plans to merge the entire package into a unified user interface that focused on the mainstream market rather than developing a targeted, leading edge niche product.

There's still a Shake team?
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvogt View Post

How about Canon opens their dev kit to remotely control cameras via the iPad since the screen is much larger than a cameras display screen? Maybe within a mobile version of Aperture??

Absolutely!! Those are the 2 things I'm really hoping for too!
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

We'll see some interesting things with Peter Jackson's "Hobbit" films. As I understand it, he'll be using stereo RED Epics. Should be epic!

Peter is one of the only directors I can count on to do an epic work justice. He makes Fantasy breathe as it should.

I'd love to see a Sword of Shannara, DragonLance Chronicles, Weaveworld or, Tad William's Otherland project with him at the helm.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Remember this name? (Silly question \)

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zeiss_Ikon

It's being revived.

That is damn cool.
post #33 of 49
Apple should first require Canon to clean up its act as far as neglected scanner drivers go.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvogt View Post

How about Canon opens their dev kit to remotely control cameras via the iPad since the screen is much larger than a cameras display screen? Maybe within a mobile version of Aperture??

I like this idea. Let me just amend/clarify what you're suggesting: Full camera control interface from within Aperture, plus, full HD camera control interface from within Final Cut (Pro/Express). Oh, and just imagine what could be done when the next-gen EOS cameras are tethered via Thunderbolt! LiveView direct from the camera sensor with virtually no image lag! Hmmm. Then again, if the camera's gonna be tethered, it would presumably be in a studio environment, in which image LiveView delay is less of an issue.

BONUS WISH: Camera control via Aperture for up to 999 cameras simultaneously/sequentially. I believe in 'The Matrix', they used between 100 and 200 cameras (Canon EOS, btw) for their "bullet-time" scenes. Why stop there??
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #35 of 49
Ok requirement is Airprint! I hate HP and support for my old printer was dropped by HP thus rendering it useless after Snow Leopard upgrades hence I said I'd never go HP again. I shouldn't be forced to buy a new printer every 4 years. But I was tempted to buy a HP again for the airprint until I slapped myself around the face and reminded myself of the HP correspondence I had had. So for sure Airprint is increasing sales for HP and thus losing sales for Canon (whose printers are excellent!).

Killer idea - Live view interface and control of Canon DSLR's! This would be a wow to all keen photographers out there. Hook up my ipad in the field to my Canon 5D and get a live view on my ipad. Adjust settings, ISO, Aperture etc, fire the shutter and then have the image transferred immediately from the camera SD card to ipad for review and backup and hey even to be emailed instantly around the world. The LCD on the back of the 5D is good but small and its only when you load up an image on a monitor that you see the detail, defects and or any issues. Doing that live in the field would be a huge bonus. Likelihood of this? Close to zero maybe! But its all doable and I can't help think that the area Apple have underdeveloped the iphone and ipad is in photos. They have iphoto and Aperture for the Mac and so have good expertise in image processing yet there is no such functionality provided on the ipad or iphone. So maybe this is part of a bigger project similar to imovie being a scaled down version for the ipad and iphone. Maybe its relating to work on a scaled down version of iphoto / Aperture for the ipad /iphone - Live view, camera control, auto transfer of images followed by image storage, organisation and editing. After which these albums when sync'd upload in to iphoto and Aperture (both the original (Raw or Jpeg) and edited version (as Aperture currently works).

This news article is probably not related AT ALL! But for me thats where the gap is for Apple to fill. And the photography industry is still one of the quickest growing industries even through the relevant recessions. I can dream.......
post #36 of 49
My first thought when briefly read it was, to release a full HD camcorder with Thunderbolt port ?

Super quick file transfer, live recording using just one cable (for data and power), .. im sure there is more i could think of but its a bit early in the morning.
post #37 of 49
Without seeing your post first... I'm thinking along the same lines here: AI forum post

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobie View Post

Ok requirement is Airprint! I hate HP and support for my old printer was dropped by HP thus rendering it useless after Snow Leopard upgrades hence I said I'd never go HP again. I shouldn't be forced to buy a new printer every 4 years. But I was tempted to buy a HP again for the airprint until I slapped myself around the face and reminded myself of the HP correspondence I had had. So for sure Airprint is increasing sales for HP and thus losing sales for Canon (whose printers are excellent!).

Killer idea - Live view interface and control of Canon DSLR's! This would be a wow to all keen photographers out there. Hook up my ipad in the field to my Canon 5D and get a live view on my ipad. Adjust settings, ISO, Aperture etc, fire the shutter and then have the image transferred immediately from the camera SD card to ipad for review and backup and hey even to be emailed instantly around the world. The LCD on the back of the 5D is good but small and its only when you load up an image on a monitor that you see the detail, defects and or any issues. Doing that live in the field would be a huge bonus. Likelihood of this? Close to zero maybe! But its all doable and I can't help think that the area Apple have underdeveloped the iphone and ipad is in photos. They have iphoto and Aperture for the Mac and so have good expertise in image processing yet there is no such functionality provided on the ipad or iphone. So maybe this is part of a bigger project similar to imovie being a scaled down version for the ipad and iphone. Maybe its relating to work on a scaled down version of iphoto / Aperture for the ipad /iphone - Live view, camera control, auto transfer of images followed by image storage, organisation and editing. After which these albums when sync'd upload in to iphoto and Aperture (both the original (Raw or Jpeg) and edited version (as Aperture currently works).

This news article is probably not related AT ALL! But for me thats where the gap is for Apple to fill. And the photography industry is still one of the quickest growing industries even through the relevant recessions. I can dream.......
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

How about if Canon were to concentrate on optimizing low-light, high ISO images? Nikon is kicking their arses in this area. And a full frame high shutter speed dSLR wouldn't be bad either... (APS-H in 2011? Really?)

Well, in fairness, let's look at the actual full-frame models:

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, 21.1 MP, 5 fps
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 21.1 MP, 5 fps

Nikon D3s, 12.1 MP, 9 fps (FX) mode, 11 fps (DX) mode
Nikon D3x, 24.5 MP, 5 fps (FX) mode, 7 fps (DX) mode
Nikon D700, 12.1 MP, 5 fps, 8 fps w/ MB-D10 grip

It appears there are trade-offs with both brands, and I think they balance out in the end. Basically comes down to where you've invested your gear. And if you're new to the DSLR world, and trying to decide, you can ask some trusted friends/colleagueswhere you'll likely get equally strong arguments from either side, or you can just flip a coin. Either way, you're getting a solid, robust outfit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I have recently purchased a Nikon DSLR for my son, my first non-Canon camera purchase in as long as I can remember. Canon seems to be stagnating, is this perception flawed? I hope so. \

I think the Canon vs. Nikon debate is about as lively and interesting as the PC vs Mac debate. That said, I had to come down on the Canon side for a couple of reasons:

1) Nikon's "additional overcharges"If you want to control your Nikon DSLR via computer, you have to

buy the software for an additional $150. With Canon, the computer control software is included. Granted, it could be better, but at least it works!
2) In the sub-DSLR category, Canon's PowerShot G-series cameras far outshine anything Nikon has.
Quote:
A meaningful collaboration with Apple could only be good for Canon. How about the possibility of bringing the A5 and other features to Canon hardware? (Just chewing the cud there - no, not weed! (At least, I don't think so!))

Hmmmm. Interesting idea. Makes me wonder how the A5 chip compares with Canon's DiG!C 4 chip. My guess is that Canon's chip is custom built and is tied very closely with their software, and they don't want to be dependent on Apple in that area. I don't see though, why they couldn't add some code that would make their cameras play nice with Apple hardware/software. That would be pretty cool!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think historically, Canon has been more Mac-friendly than Nikon has. I'm basing this on my experience with Nikon many years agoI seem to recall that Nikon had some features/capabilities that were only accessible via Windows.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Well, in fairness, let's look at the actual full-frame models:

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, 21.1 MP, 5 fps
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 21.1 MP, 5 fps

Nikon D3s, 12.1 MP, 9 fps (FX) mode, 11 fps (DX) mode
Nikon D3x, 24.5 MP, 5 fps (FX) mode, 7 fps (DX) mode
Nikon D700, 12.1 MP, 5 fps, 8 fps w/ MB-D10 grip

It appears there are trade-offs with both brands, and I think they balance out in the end. Basically comes down to where you've invested your gear. And if you're new to the DSLR world, and trying to decide, you can ask some trusted friends/colleagueswhere you'll likely get equally strong arguments from either side, or you can just flip a coin. Either way, you're getting a solid, robust outfit.

The camera that I purchased isn't in that league, where I believe Canon probably has the advantage. The controls (physical and menu driven) on the Nikon that I bought are brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I think the Canon vs. Nikon debate is about as lively and interesting as the PC vs Mac debate. That said, I had to come down on the Canon side for a couple of reasons:

1) Nikon's "additional overcharges"If you want to control your Nikon DSLR via computer, you have to

buy the software for an additional $150. With Canon, the computer control software is included. Granted, it could be better, but at least it works!
2) In the sub-DSLR category, Canon's PowerShot G-series cameras far outshine anything Nikon has. Hmmmm. Interesting idea. Makes me wonder how the A5 chip compares with Canon's DiG!C 4 chip. My guess is that Canon's chip is custom built and is tied very closely with their software, and they don't want to be dependent on Apple in that area. I don't see though, why they couldn't add some code that would make their cameras play nice with Apple hardware/software. That would be pretty cool!

Would employing an A5 chip be necessary in order to implement Thunderbolt in a suitable form factor? (Surely not where space and power aren't an issue. \) (That is, in very small form factor devices such as an iPhone, will the processor handle external comms too?

Personally, I believe that Canon's particular appeal is in the sub-DSLR category, their point and shoot cameras and in the high-range DSLRs with really nice lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think historically, Canon has been more Mac-friendly than Nikon has. I'm basing this on my experience with Nikon many years agoI seem to recall that Nikon had some features/capabilities that were only accessible via Windows.

I have always been very happy using Canon cameras with my Mac (previously employing Firewire for example).
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think historically, Canon has been more Mac-friendly than Nikon has.

Canon and Apple/Steve Jobs have had a long relationship. The first Apple LaserWriter was Canon-based (we had a LaserWriter and a Canon copier in our office and they shared the same toner cartridge. What are the chances that would ever happen these days?) Then, NeXT used Canon's magneto-optical drives in the original Cubes, and later Canon invested $100M into NeXT and even made an Intel-based machine that ran NeXTSTEP.

I'm not sure how Jobs' relationship with the company has fared over the intervening years, but assuming he didn't burn any bridges I imagine that Apple and Canon have a deeper commitment to each other than many other vendors. (There again, Apple put the CEO of Intuit on their board of directors, and that hasn't prevented Quicken from still sucking on the Mac relative its Windows version.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple rumored to enter new collaboration with Canon