or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review roundup: Apple's iPad 2 is best tablet yet, but cameras disappoint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review roundup: Apple's iPad 2 is best tablet yet, but cameras disappoint

post #1 of 116
Thread Starter 
The first reviews of the iPad 2 have emerged, declaring Apple's new touchscreen tablet as even farther ahead of its competitors than the original iPad, though some reviewers were disappointed with the image quality of the device's new front- and rear-facing cameras.

The iPad 2 sports several new evolutionary enhancements both inside and outside. On the outside, the tablet is thinner, has a flat back with tapered edges and a front-facing VGA camera and a rear-facing HD camera. Internally, Apple has upgraded the original A4 processor to a dual-core A5 chip with significantly faster graphics.

The device goes on sale on March 11 at 5 p.m. and starts at $499 for the entry-level 16GB Wi-Fi version.

Reviewers were impressed with the changes Apple made to the iPad, though minor complaints ranged from poor image quality on the cameras to the lack of Adobe Flash and 4G connectivity.

Wall Street analysts have reported being impressed by Apple's new iPad, with one analyst warning that the success of the iPad 2 could burst a bubble for its rivals in the tablet market.

The Wall Street Journal

In his review for The Wall Street Journal, Walt Mossberg found improvements to the device to be "generally pleasing and positive," noting that the tablet "worked very well" for him.

For Mossberg, evolutionary enhancements made to the second-generation iPad outweigh any drawbacks or feature omissions. "For most average, nontechie users, I would recommend it over the handful of tablet competitors Ive tested so far, especially given that the entry price remains attractive," Mossberg wrote.

"The iPad 2, in my view, offers an excellent balance of size, functionality and price, and keeps Apple ahead in the tablet race, at least for now," he continued. However, Mossberg doesn't advise current owners of the iPad to "race to get the new version," since he sees nothing particularly "revolutionary" about the new iPad.

Mossberg found the new iPad 2 to be "airier" and noticeably lighter. The device "felt very snappy," with apps launching and running "a bit quicker" than on the first-generation iPad. And, unlike the reviewer's tests with Android tablets, the iPad 2 never crashed in his tests.

Mossberg found still photos taken by the iPad 2 to be mediocre and battery life to be slightly less than the original iPad, though still above 10 hours. Another drawback to the device was that the new tapered edges make the dock connector port more difficult to use.

The reviewer also missed the lack of Adobe Flash compatibility and the fact that the iPad 2 will be unable to take advantage of 4G cellular data networks.

In spite of these drawbacks and omissions, Mossberg said he can "comfortably recommend it as the best tablet for average consumers."

The New York Times

The New York Times reviewer David Pogue wrote that the iPad experience had been transformed by Apple's improvements in thinness, weight and speed.

At just 0.33 inches thick, the iPad 2 makes the Motorola Xoom tablet look "obese," said Pogue, who views the iPad's success as a function of its emotional appeal, rather than its 'on paper' qualifications.

Pogue also spent ample time praising Apples new Smart Cover as "a perfect symbol of its fondness for high-tech magic tricks."

Even as dozens of rival tablets are set to hit the market in the coming months, Pogue believes "the iPad will still dominate the market, because it dominates in all the most important criteria: thinness, weight, integration, beauty and apps."

According to Pogue, Apple's aggressive pricing could help the iPad maker stay ahead of the competition. Despite Apple's usual reputation for costing more than its competitors, "the iPad 2 actually costs less than its comparably equipped Android rivals, like the Xoom and the Samsung Galaxy Tab," Pogue noted.

Associated Press

AP Technology Writer Rachel Metz wrote that Apple, with the iPad 2, "is pulling further ahead" of its competitors, even as numerous companies are trying to catch up to the original iPad.

According to Metz, Apple's improvements "make an already excellent tablet even more enticing," revealing that the iPad maker "refuses to be bested."

The iPad 2's "sleeker lighter body with a curved back" help the device "fit more naturally" in the reviewer's hands, making it "easier to hold for extended e-reading sessions."

Metz enjoyed the addition of front- and rear-facing cameras and Apple's FaceTime video chat application, though she did find still photography "awkward given the tablet's size."

After spending time with the new GarageBand app for the iPad 2, Metz "was wowed by how simple it was and how well it took advantage of the iPad's touch screen."

Metz did find herself wishing for a second speaker, but noted that the lone speaker "did sound quite crisp, even with the sound turned all the way up."

Metz concluded by saying that the iPad 2 is, without question, a "great tablet," while recommending that those looking for the latest and greatest should "go for it." "Chances are, it will be the best tablet in town -- at least until the iPad 3 arrives," she quipped.
post #2 of 116
The iPad2's getting really good reviews, I've read a bunch of them already.

The android fantards and other whiny losers are going ballistic over at engadget, because it got 9/10.

It's good to see that the iPad2 doubled the ram. There was some concern about that. As for the cameras, they're fine in my opinion. They're for video chatting, not for taking high quality still pictures. If somebody is interested in taking real pictures, then use a real camera.
post #3 of 116
Like most people, I don't care much about the camera at the back, but front-facing one I did hope for a better one for video conf.

Other than that, it'd be nice to have 1GB ram, but I guess for now it's not a big deal.
post #4 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asst. Prof. View Post

Mossberg is always slanted.

I saw a video of him interviewing Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and he, along with some silly woman were asking the stupidest questions possible. He was a terrible interviewer. And I wasn't too impressed by his iPad2 review either.
post #5 of 116
I don't get what part of 'the back camera is for AR and chat, not photography' these guys (especially mossberg) don't get.
post #6 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I don't get what part of 'the back camera is for AR and chat, not photography' these guys (especially mossberg) don't get.

I heard that there's a new copycat tablet coming out in 3-4 months. It will feature five 17 megapixel cameras, it will weigh 3 pounds, it will look like a brick and cost $1199. It will also crash at least 8 times per day and the battery life will be 4 hours (2 hours if you enable flash) and standby will be 35 minutes. Oh, and there will be 7 apps available for it.
post #7 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I heard that there's a new copycat tablet coming out in 3-4 months. It will feature five 17 megapixel cameras, it will weigh 3 pounds, it will look like a brick and cost $1199. It will also crash at least 8 times per day and the battery life will be 4 hours (2 hours if you enable flash) and standby will be 35 minutes. Oh, and there will be 7 apps available for it.

Sold... to the Fandroids!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #8 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Like most people, I don't care much about the camera at the back, but front-facing one I did hope for a better one for video conf.

Other than that, it'd be nice to have 1GB ram, but I guess for now it's not a big deal.

1GB RAM minimum should be in this Tablet. Its going to be running Garage Band. I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory. Good luck multi tasking. I don't buy anything first day especially an Apple product. Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first. Always seems to be something wrong with the first run.
post #9 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

I don't buy anything first day especially an Apple product. Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first. Always seems to be something wrong with the first run.

No hardware is going to change in a month. These iPad 2's have been stockpiling for at least a month now. The only thing is a software update and that will take a week if there is a major issue which I doubt there will be. I bought the original iPad and had absolutely no issues not even with the WiFi. Will be buying iPad 2 on Friday without a doubt in my mind. Best Buy here I come!
post #10 of 116
I don't care much about the cameras as long as they can FaceTime well. The battery life is still 10hr+, which is really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

1GB RAM minimum should be in this Tablet. Its going to be running Garage Band. I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory. Good luck multi tasking. I don't buy anything first day especially an Apple product. Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first. Always seems to be something wrong with the first run.

You don't seem to know anything about how iOS works. This memory thing was discussed days ago.
post #11 of 116
Maybe the magnets for the peel back cover could be used for a peel back keyboard.
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #12 of 116
that pretty much sums up all the reviews. more time was spent nitpicking than anything else. browser much faster? ho-hum. much more graphic power, meaning some great new stuff coming soon? yawn. killer new Garage Band app? well, two guys did notice that. a 720p camera no one needs? we want more megapixels! and so on ...

of course, despite its rapidly decreasing importance, No Flash!

and as usual, no one mentioned the unique walk-in support/service available globally at Apple's retail stores. we're talking gadgets here - specs! nothing ever goes wrong. you never need help. that's irrelevant to a review.

still, they all had to grudgingly admit it's better than the Xoom ...
post #13 of 116
It was sort of expected. It looks like the only reason Motorola's Xoom can compete is that it can get LTE, so a premium is reasonable. Although people are saying that the HP TouchPad will be able to compete, but without a price it's hard to say.
post #14 of 116
The camera thing is true, but... Who is it that needs a high-quality still cam... and doesnt already carry one? Those 7 people, if they were counting on the iPad to solve the issue for them, can be disappointed. (Id suggest they upgrade their phone to console themselves.)

But Im not disappointed; a white 64GB will be mine! I want the cameras for video alone: FaceTime first, augmented reality second, and iMovie third. Whereas when Im out taking stills, it wont be my iPad Im lugging along! My iPhone is always with me for that.
post #15 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You don't seem to know anything about how iOS works. This memory thing was discussed days ago.

You seem to know nothing about Operating Systems in general. I guess they ones you use don't need any RAM. Don't give me that crap that iOS is "Special" and manages its RAM differently. It still needs RAM and the more the better in my book. I've seen to many spinning beachballs / circles to know iOS runs out of memory.

I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM. If a phone can hold it this hunk of plastic can. Apple just wants to wait till iPad3 so you will buy that also. Its their modus operandi to release very small incremental improvements so you will buy another one in 6mos to a year.
post #16 of 116
Poor Xoom. Poor Honeycomb. Poor Motorola.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...comb_is_a_mess
post #17 of 116
Why isn't anyone quoting Gizmodo? Steve hand delivered a dozen of them to their offices a month ago so they could be the first to give a non-biased opinion on them...

Oh wait, he didn't? My bad!
post #18 of 116
This whole 'not supporting' 4g thing has little teeth. Most cellular companies are not pushing out true 4g (there are many articles out there discussing this concept). LTE and so called 4g are in their infancy stages and therefore are not truly proven on effects of against the battery, performance and so on. I'm sure by the time true 4g and LTE are delivered to the masses, Apple will have iPad 3 out to utilize the technology.

The discussion about 'MUST HAVE 1 GIG OF RAM' are also laughable. The iPad, flat out, smokes the competition on smoothness, and that's against tablets that have much more Ram. Shut up about the f*&king Ram already. It's a tired and annoying argument that has NO merit.
post #19 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

that pretty much sums up all the reviews. more time was spent nitpicking than anything else. browser much faster? ho-hum. much more graphic power, meaning some great new stuff coming soon? yawn. killer new Garage Band app? well, two guys did notice that. a 720p camera no one needs? we want more megapixels! and so on ...

of course, despite its rapidly decreasing importance, No Flash!

and as usual, no one mentioned the unique walk-in support/service available globally at Apple's retail stores. we're talking gadgets here - specs! nothing ever goes wrong. you never need help. that's irrelevant to a review.

still, they all had to grudgingly admit it's better than the Xoom ...

Honestly neither of them are worth buying. Save your money and buy a refurbished iPad. Then wait another year and see what the tablet market is like.
post #20 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Poor Xoom. Poor Honeycomb. Poor Motorola.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...comb_is_a_mess

Poor Safari. Safari hacked in 10 seconds at annual PWN2OWN
post #21 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

Poor Safari. Safari hacked in 10 seconds at annual PWN2OWN

Whew, then it's a good thing Apple isn't banking much on the success of Safari to pay their bills. The same can't be said about Motorola with the Xoom and Google with Honeycomb and the incredibly hack-friendly Android system.

Whew.
post #22 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

1GB RAM minimum should be in this Tablet. Its going to be running Garage Band. I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory. Good luck multi tasking. I don't buy anything first day especially an Apple product. Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first. Always seems to be something wrong with the first run.

Thats because a desktop runs a FULL operating system and has many many more processes running at once. The iPad like the PS3 and Xbox 360 is a targeted platform. All of these devices run quite happily with 512mb of ram.

Until you have any concept of how these devices operate and manage memory perhaps you should hold your tongue.
post #23 of 116
Wait! I thought using a dinner plate to take snapshots was stupid, and no one would want to do it. Why, all of a sudden is the biggest negative against the iPad 2, the fact that it does not take high-quality stills? Did I miss something, or are reviewers just trying way too hard to find something to pick apart?
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #24 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post


The discussion about 'MUST HAVE 1 GIG OF RAM' are also laughable.

Luckily, for these super power users and geniuses who MUST have 1 gig of RAM, there are other options available for them. They can simply go and buy a XOOM, for example, where they will be able to enjoy their 1 gig of RAM in all it's full glory and with all of the added benefits, massive improvements and ultra smooth operation which that brings to the table.
post #25 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

Poor Safari. Safari hacked in 10 seconds at annual PWN2OWN

Can you read? What does that have to do with iPad?

The Safari which was hacked was not iOS Safari, but Safari running on a Macbook, and IE 8 and even Firefox was hacked in that hacking contest.
post #26 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory.

You seem to suffer from an extreme case of ignorance, but I will do my best to edumucate you and correct your misconceptions and your unfounded biases. Garageband for OS X is not the same as the newly released Garageband for iOS. OS X obviously requires more resources than iOS. Garageband for iOS is a slimmed down version and I believe that it only allows for 8 tracks.

People have already tested Garageband running on the iPad2 without any problems. Quite the contrary, it ran smoothly and people have already posted songs that they have made with it.
post #27 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

If a phone can hold it this hunk of plastic can.

I think you meant, hunk of aluminum and glass.
post #28 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

You seem to know nothing about Operating Systems in general. I guess they ones you use don't need any RAM. Don't give me that crap that iOS is "Special" and manages its RAM differently. It still needs RAM and the more the better in my book. I've seen to many spinning beachballs / circles to know iOS runs out of memory.

I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM. If a phone can hold it this hunk of plastic can. Apple just wants to wait till iPad3 so you will buy that also. Its their modus operandi to release very small incremental improvements so you will buy another one in 6mos to a year.

You wont last long as a Troll Tech new hire unless you a little effort into your forum trolling. Why dont you show us a screenshot of this spinning beach ball on iOS. Just one screen capture that you say exists.

The fact is that Android needs a lot more RAM to do basic functions because its less optimized code.

Hunk of plastic? Really? At least put a little effort into your trolling before youre banned again.

PS: Apple releases one model every year for their iDevices and thats somehow to force you upgrade more frequently. So by your logic any vendor that updates ≥ one year is somehow some evil Lets see how tablets and phones, HTC, Moto, Asus, etc. put out in 2011 alone.
post #29 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I saw a video of him interviewing Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and he, along with some silly woman were asking the stupidest questions possible. He was a terrible interviewer. And I wasn't too impressed by his iPad2 review either.

That's Mossberg's sidekick and she irritated the hell out of me. I don't get what the appeal is with Moss. His video reviews are incredibly boring. Sometimes he hits on a few details others miss, but for the way I look at products, I prefer Pogue any day.

I saw the interview you mentioned and I agree it was an embarrassing event. By the way, she has done even more appalling interviews for Microsoft products. Watching her made me cringe.
post #30 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At just 0.33 inches thick, the iPad 2 makes the Motorola Xoom tablet look "obese,"

ROFL!
post #31 of 116
I agree with most of the comments regarding the quality of the cameras. I have a Nikon D5000 for picture taking. For Skype though I would like a quality image. Without seeing for myself what the front-facing image looks like it's hard to have a factual opinion. I would like to know how the IPad2 front-facing camera compares to the camera in any of today's laptop or desktop computers. Anybody have any factual information regarding this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Wait! I thought using a dinner plate to take snapshots was stupid, and no one would want to do it. Why, all of a sudden is the biggest negative against the iPad 2, the fact that it does not take high-quality stills? Did I miss something, or are reviewers just trying way too hard to find something to pick apart?
post #32 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

...

The fact is that Android needs a lot more RAM to do basic functions because its less optimized code.

---

Since this is a true fact of Android, that it runs in a Virtual Machine, basically a layer, emulator if you will, on top of the kernel... why is this point not common knowledge when comparing the specs of Android vs. iOS devices?

In order for Android to ever run as smooth and efficiently, it will always need double the spec's of an iOS device.

I also firmly believe that MS specifically, is actually waiting for quad-core ARM processors (which are coming) before jumping into the game.

Once again: look at the specs of the Xoom... and then look at the performance of those specs.

Now do the same with iPad2. See the difference? Which one is better? I believe it's a unanimous decision, the iPad2 does better with HALF the specs.

Also another point: Apple has always been concerned about the battery specs. IF they would have added 1gb RAM, what would have been the trade off in battery life-time? Anyone?

Here's my iPad3 specs:
Retina Display
iPhone 4 cameras
1 GB Ram
A6 Dual Core (no quad yet)
Battery-life: roughly the same as today with advances in battery-tech and optimization within the SoC.

I'm getting 2 iPad2s come the 25th here in Germany, regardless of my iPad3 spec-list.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #33 of 116
Camera quality question:

Could this also be due to the fact that since most people were wanting the camera for Facetime, that this combo of lo-res cameras could also be used eventually for Facetime over 3G or 4G?

Although I suppose they could have lowered the res specifically when using Facetime in software, but just curious if anyone else has a a better reason than, "Apple wants you to upgrade in 6 months... they're evil" BS.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #34 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

1GB RAM minimum should be in this Tablet. Its going to be running Garage Band. I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory. Good luck multi tasking. I don't buy anything first day especially an Apple product. Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first. Always seems to be something wrong with the first run.

A maximum of 8 tracks and limited software instruments will not need a gig of ram. You obviously haven't understood that this a watered down version specifically for iPad, not the full RAM hungry version.

This isn't the first run. There was nothing wrong with the first run.

Just because some technology that people would like (camera, flash) etc is not included does not make for an error. Price point, battery life, performance and product sixe/weight are all factors. If iPad 1 had two cameras, you can bet that battery life would have been less, the unit heavier and thicker and the price point a hundred dollars or so more.

Technology and new features are introduced by apple when it makes technical and commercial sense to do so.

1 GB of RAM defeats the object of good, streamlined code for iOS. The device runs beautifully, is stable and is never slow in performance.
post #35 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

1GB RAM minimum should be in this Tablet. Its going to be running Garage Band. I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory. Good luck multi tasking. I don't buy anything first day especially an Apple product. Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first. Always seems to be something wrong with the first run.

1GB should be the minimum because? Maybe so that you wouldn't feel inadequate in the playground with your friends with their slew of 1GB tablets outperforming yours? It's a mystery how Apple managed to actually demonstrate GarageBand running at all, let alone well, when the machine was hobbled with so little memory - they must have cheated and stuck some extra in when we weren't looking ...

Perish the thought that you might have actually used it and come to the RAM conclusion after finding out that when running apps day to day that the iPad2 stutters, stalls and generally fails to do its job with the measly amount of RAM currently installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

You seem to know nothing about Operating Systems in general. I guess they ones you use don't need any RAM. Don't give me that crap that iOS is "Special" and manages its RAM differently. It still needs RAM and the more the better in my book. I've seen to many spinning beachballs / circles to know iOS runs out of memory.

I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM.

Which version of iOS have you used which has a "spinning beach ball"?

"I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM" - and you would of course know how hard it it to design something like an iPad; balancing conflicting requirements of storage, RAM, processor speed, energy consumption, cameras, materials, screen size, parts availability, ports, reliability, OS design and cost .. because you have ? Built one? Designed one? Obviously, Apple is on the nursery slopes in all of these areas compared to your intimate knowledge of the above. Maybe you could help them point out the error of their ways and get a job as a consultant. I suppose the thrust of your advice to Jonny Ive and Steve would be simple - "Stick more RAM in it!" Job done ...
post #36 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Camera quality question:

Could this also be due to the fact that since most people were wanting the camera for Facetime, that this combo of lo-res cameras could also be used eventually for Facetime over 3G or 4G?

Although I suppose they could have lowered the res specifically when using Facetime in software, but just curious if anyone else has a a better reason than, "Apple wants you to upgrade in 6 months... they're evil" BS.

They haven't "lowered the res", they've put the best cameras in place for the device for the suited purpose - this is for video chat, not still photography - I mean SERIOUSLY - how stupid would you look using this thing as a camera. It's about processing power, battery life, unit cost - so many factors.
post #37 of 116
I was pondering my own question re: camera quality and Apple's decision to go with the lo-res cams on the iPad2, and a thought came to me:

...what if you'll be able to do wireless wifi-syncing with your camera rolls between devices... or even immediate "shoot and send" with all iDevices... and possibly Canon.

Considering that there is now wifi Personal Hotspot with 4.3, this would seem to be a natural extension of that.

Could be related to the AI article with Canon hooking up with Apple. Apple helps them integrate wifi and the necessary stacks into their point-n-shoots.

Apple has shown iMovie, Garageband now... but the big killer App for a lot of people would be iPhoto/Aperture editing, and synced edits, keywords, categorizing, etc. between devices.

So... could this be something? Or is there something already out there that does this that I don't know about?
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #38 of 116
I just looked at a couple of videos that review the camera quality. One video was shot outside and the quality was fine. You could see the needles on a cactus plant! That's good enough for me. Also there was a video taken from a moving vehicle. It was crisp and sharp enough to read signage that it passed. Granted the interior shots were slightly grainy but isn't that true of a lot of video cameras that don't use added lighting?

What I haven't seen in any comments is a report on the glare problem that the IPad has. Whenever I read a book outside I have a glare problem unless I'm in the shade. I've also had the IPad shutdown from the heat of the sun. I live in Florida and enjoy taking my IPad to the beach to read or listen to music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Camera quality question:

Could this also be due to the fact that since most people were wanting the camera for Facetime, that this combo of lo-res cameras could also be used eventually for Facetime over 3G or 4G?

Although I suppose they could have lowered the res specifically when using Facetime in software, but just curious if anyone else has a a better reason than, "Apple wants you to upgrade in 6 months... they're evil" BS.
post #39 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

...

"I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM" - and you would of course know how hard it it to design something like an iPad; balancing conflicting requirements of storage, RAM, processor speed, energy consumption, cameras, materials, screen size, parts availability, ports, reliability, OS design and cost .. because you have … ? Built one? Designed one? Obviously, Apple is on the nursery slopes in all of these areas compared to your intimate knowledge of the above. Maybe you could help them point out the error of their ways and get a job as a consultant. I suppose the thrust of your advice to Jonny Ive and Steve would be simple - "Stick more RAM in it!" Job done ...

^THIS^ should be a sticky, or a canned code insertion

PS: or "ram more STICK in it"!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #40 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

They haven't "lowered the res", they've put the best cameras in place for the device for the suited purpose - this is for video chat, not still photography - I mean SERIOUSLY - how stupid would you look using this thing as a camera. It's about processing power, battery life, unit cost - so many factors.

Well of course I know the reason they didn't put a higher-quality camera in it is because it's too thinfocal length is the limiting factor. That being said, could it be they wanted to minimize the number of people holding one of these up and trying to use it like a point-and-shoot? Can you imagine how idiotic that would look? People would say: "Boy, these iPad users are some stupid-ass gomers! No way I'm buying one!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Review roundup: Apple's iPad 2 is best tablet yet, but cameras disappoint
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review roundup: Apple's iPad 2 is best tablet yet, but cameras disappoint