or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple will begin taking online iPad 2 orders at 1 a.m. PT, 4 a.m. ET Friday

Apple will begin taking online iPad 2 orders at 1 a.m. PT, 4 a.m. ET Friday

post #1 of 36
Apple on Thursday reminded customers that the iPad 2 will go on sale at retail locations at 5 p.m. on Friday, but those who want to purchase from the comfort of their home will be able to order online starting at 1 a.m. Pacific, 4 a.m. Eastern.

Those who don't want to wait for delivery will be able to buy an iPad 2 at 5 p.m. local time at all 236 Apple retail stores in the U.S. The multi-touch tablet will also be available at 5 p.m. local time at AT&T, Best Buy, Target, Verizon Wireless, and Walmart stores, as well as select Apple Authorized resellers.

The company also revealed that iMovie and GarageBand for iPad are available in the App Store starting today for $4.99 each.

Every customer who buys an iPad 2 at an Apple retail store will be offered free Personal Setup service, helping them customize their iPad 2 by setting up email, loading new apps from the App Store and more, so theyll be up and running with their new iPad 2 before they leave the store.

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in the U.S. on March 11 for a suggested retail price of $499 for the 16GB model, $599 for the 32GB model, $699 for the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 for the 16GB model, $729 for the 32GB model and $829 for the 64GB model.

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G compatible with the Verizon network will be available in the US only for a suggested retail price of $629 for the 16GB model, $729 for the 32GB model and $829 for the 64GB model.

iPad 2 will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK on March 25; and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date.
post #2 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday reminded customers that the iPad 2 will go on sale at retail locations at 5 p.m. on Friday, but those who want to purchase from the comfort of their home will be able to order online starting at 1 a.m. Pacific, 4 a.m. Eastern.

I swear they said midnight Pacific last time I checked.
post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asst. Prof. View Post

I predict record-breaking lines, and record-breaking first-day sales.

I predict that the iPad2 is going to sell more in the first few hours than the XOOM has sold for it's entire lifespan up until now.
post #4 of 36
I'll wait until a civilized 7.30 AM and a good cup of coffee. Thank you.
post #5 of 36
Im not seeing a pre-order online with in-store pickup this year. Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I predict that the iPad2 is going to sell more in the first few hours than the XOOM has sold for it's entire lifespan up until now.

I bet Apples flagship store in NYC will sell more iPads the first 24 hours than all actual Xoom sales for its entire Xoom life throughout all its markets.
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Im not seeing a pre-order online with in-store pickup this year. Is that correct?

Sure is. I was looking for that option since last Wednesday. I've even called 2 different reps, but both said no.

I'm thinking they still might, but it would be something silent they just turn on on their website sometime tonight.

Sooo... 230+ stores, and how many do you guys think they'll have in stock? I'm in LA right now (and no, not that one), so I'm hoping for minimal competition.

White 32gb 3G FTW
17" iMac G4 1.25/2/0.08 | 15" uMBP C2D 2.4/4/1 | iPhone 3G/0.008 | iPad 2 3G/0.064
17" iMac G4 1.25/2/0.08 | 15" uMBP C2D 2.4/4/1 | iPhone 3G/0.008 | iPad 2 3G/0.064
post #7 of 36
I've got to wait two weeks. Jealous.
post #8 of 36
I don't think you'll see record lines anywhere. Keep in mind that the iPad 2 will be going on sale tomorrow through all the following outlets: Apple Stores, Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, WalMart and Best Buy.

That should keep the lines pretty muted compared to the iPad 1 and iPhone launches.
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugernuts View Post

I don't think you'll see record lines anywhere. Keep in mind that the iPad 2 will be going on sale tomorrow through all the following outlets: Apple Stores, Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, WalMart and Best Buy.

That should keep the lines pretty muted compared to the iPad 1 and iPhone launches.

I agree... and muted is a good descriptor for what I see in tomorrow's launch.

On the other hand... I also believe that iPad2 will sell at least 100:1 over the Xoom.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #10 of 36
A lot of people think, "Go to the Apple store" anytime an Apple product is mentioned and do not even think of the other options. You still might find some lines, but I guess one person waiting will spoil the publicity by telling everyone Best Buy has them too and no line. Crowd suddenly dissipates.
post #11 of 36
I wonder if the 3G will be SIM unlocked? for the 32GB, $729 USD + 6% Washington Sales tax is way cheaper than approx $779 + 13% HST here in Canada.

I might take a spin down to Bellingham to get one if it's SIM unlocked. Or Order it and send it to my US mailbox...
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I wonder if the 3G will be SIM unlocked? for the 32GB, $729 USD + 6% Washington Sales tax is way cheaper than approx $779 + 13% HST here in Canada.

I might take a spin down to Bellingham to get one if it's SIM unlocked. Or Order it and send it to my US mailbox...

I'm wondering the same thing. I travel to Europe all the time and would like to have a local data plan over there. Then I could just swap sims.
post #13 of 36
So if you order online and they have next day delivery as an option -- would you get it Sat or is it considered next Business Day -- Monday?
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRick View Post

I'm wondering the same thing. I travel to Europe all the time and would like to have a local data plan over there. Then I could just swap sims.

I'm not entirely sure here, but I contacted Vodafone in the UK about playing the sim swap game for iPad 1 and they made it sound like it would be no problem for my US iPad. Like I say though, at the time I asked, only the iPad 1 was available. So this becomes more of a question of whether or not they changed something on the iPad 2.

Also, if you're curious then check out store.apple.com/uk and look at their 3G iPad 2 page. It lists tons of carriers. It would be incredibly lame for Apple to release an unlocked version there and a locked one here-- We're paying full-price, aren't we? I think that may be the key argument here.

Just my thoughts. I'm ready for tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance60031 View Post

So if you order online and they have next day delivery as an option -- would you get it Sat or is it considered next Business Day -- Monday?

I'm guessing no. I just pretended to buy an iPad 1 from their clearance section and the only paid option they had was 2-3 day shipping for $12. Then again, a new MBA shows a next-day option for $20.

Just a guess, but I'd say no Saturday delivery in either case. I think we'll both find out tonight.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

While Android phones seems to be doing well the Tablets so far are not. I think its going to be closer to 1000:1 ratio.

One things I did find funny is looks like Microsoft actually made a prediction that came true. They said the Kinect would be a bigger seller the the iPad and they were right. Made it into the world record books with the fastest selling consumer electronic device ever.

http://techland.time.com/2011/03/10/...elling-device/

Guess Ballmer gets to keep his job for a few more months.

I wonder if the Kinect continues to sell well or if it will hit an early saturation point.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingmunki View Post

Sure is. I was looking for that option since last Wednesday. I've even called 2 different reps, but both said no.

I'm thinking they still might, but it would be something silent they just turn on on their website sometime tonight.

My sources tell me that no they will not be doing reservations. It has been deemed more trouble than it is worth. Reservations means separating stock to ensure you don't sell a reservation unit to a walk in. Dealing with pissy customers cause they have been waiting all day and you let some guy with a reservation cut the line, or some guy with a reservation is pissed cause for every how many reservations you let a walk in go in. The malls don't like the added complaints from there being two lines etc.

The only thing still not decided is if they will do reserves after Friday or the weekend. That is still a possibility. But they are hoping that a fair number of folks willing to wait a few days will just order online

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #17 of 36
I sold my iPad on Gazelle. For the iPad 2 I think I'll forego the 3G this time and stick with WiFi only. I have a MiFi card with Verizon. It's a bit of a hassle but since I already have it, I might as well use it.

Funny, the week period without the iPad was supposed to be an evaluation period to see if I could go without it and that lasted about a day. Bring on the iPad2. The one thing I found I couldn't do without was reading with iBooks and Kindle. Surfing too, but not so much.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

A lot of people think, "Go to the Apple store" anytime an Apple product is mentioned and do not even think of the other options. You still might find some lines, but I guess one person waiting will spoil the publicity by telling everyone Best Buy has them too and no line. Crowd suddenly dissipates.

If the people are already in line they won't leave. Because those other places never get huge stock amounts and by the time you get there, it could be gone.

In fact I predict there will be lines on Saturday, at least in the morning from folks that went somewhere else first and there wasn't enough stock.

Plus regardless of the lines, when Apple turns around and releases sales numbers that are 100:1 over the Xoom, slate and tab put together, no one is going to remember the lack of lines

Quote:

I wonder if the 3G will be SIM unlocked?

I can't see them courting a hurricane of bad PR changing that.

post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I can't see them courting a hurricane of bad PR changing that.

It has already been stated that it is not.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #20 of 36
Not worth it. Stick with your laptops kids.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your laptop.

post #22 of 36
Quote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but WA sales tax is 9.5% in Seattle area and it's 8.5% in Bellingham.
LINK
post #23 of 36
Quote:

Good idea....wonder why Apple's Canadian prices don't reflect our stronger dollar?
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Best Buy has announced 6 WiFi iPads per store. Only those stores with dedicated Apple Sections will have 3G Versions.
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Kids? lol
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #26 of 36
anyone know what the difference is going to be between the 3G from Verizon vs. ATT? I can't seem to figure out if Verizon offers the "A-la-Carte" plan like ATT does???

Although I just figured out that the ATT plan is for a month service and then re-occurring if you don't cancel within that month.

Someone know the difference?
post #27 of 36
Endlich, an exact time online orders start ....

I figured Midnight PST/3 a.m. EST, but whatever.

Me?
White 32 GB/WiFi, thank you very much!

And since I live in the city, why don't I just to one of the stores?
Let us say -- I do not subscribe to the - ah .... "scene" there ....
"Technology Alone Is Not Enough -- Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing." - Steven P. Jobs
"Technology Alone Is Not Enough -- Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing." - Steven P. Jobs
post #28 of 36
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugernuts View Post

The majority of Apple's launch partners will be severely supply constrained and will sell out their initial allotment rather quickly. I know an ETL who works at Target and they said most stores received 5 units per SKU earlier this week and there was further information that allocation will be very limited for awhile. I've heard something similar for WalMart.
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Endlich, an exact time online orders start ....

I figured Midnight PST/3 a.m. EST, but whatever.

Me?
White 32 GB/WiFi, thank you very much!

And since I live in the city, why don't I just to one of the stores?
Let us say -- I do not subscribe to the - ah .... "scene" there ....

You might want to rethink the White version. See the article by John Gruber at Daring Fireball, who said the white one was very distracting to read with. That is why TV's all have black borders, to minimize distractions. Matter of personal taste in some cases, but distractions when reading can be annoying, in spite of how good the device looks.
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance60031 View Post

Apple is going to expedite all orders. You're just wasting your money to pay for next day. IMO

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

GarageBand and iMovie are live in the app store.

GarageBand for all iPads
Universal iMovie - Requires A Front Facing Camera

The gigantic 369 MB GarageBand for iPad is downloading this old iPad even as I post, while the new Universal iMovie is loading on my iPhone 4 but not on my iPhone 3GS.

post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBootneck View Post

Good idea....wonder why Apple's Canadian prices don't reflect our stronger dollar?

We don't trust your currency. And, we like making more money.
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

You might want to rethink the White version. See the article by John Gruber at Daring Fireball, who said the white one was very distracting to read with. That is why TV's all have black borders, to minimize distractions. Matter of personal taste in some cases, but distractions when reading can be annoying, in spite of how good the device looks.

which makes me wonder why they chose to do white this time. I could understand when the iPhone 3G & 3Gs had white options. They had the white on the back and not the bezel. The iP4 with a white bezel is going to have this same issue IMO.
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wonder if the Kinect continues to sell well or if it will hit an early saturation point.

They will be playing with their Kinecs in between classes, waiting for the bus or subway, sleeping with them, bringing it to work, playing with it when bored inside the classroom, when waiting patiently in lines... What else did I miss?

CGC
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your laptop.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple will begin taking online iPad 2 orders at 1 a.m. PT, 4 a.m. ET Friday
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple will begin taking online iPad 2 orders at 1 a.m. PT, 4 a.m. ET Friday