or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged engineering sketches show Apple's iPhone 5 with edge-to-edge screen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alleged engineering sketches show Apple's iPhone 5 with edge-to-edge screen - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Honestly I think the biggest improvement direction apple should go in is in rounding out the feature set of iOS. It needs a true shared file system area so apps can share information, even if it's remote on apple's servers. Also, it takes way too many taps or swipes to do basic functions like turn wifi off or change app settings. I also wish apple would implement a coverflow-like system for basic function changes (swipe to a corner or use a special kind of swipe to change basic functions without leaving the current app.) Also multi-tasking needs an overhaul- it's ridiculously stupid to tap-tap-tap-tap to close all background applications. One more change: iOS needs a customizable home screen. You shouldn't need to jailbreak just to get a calendar on your home screen, for example.

Honestly if apple would just improve iOS and make the iPhone more powerful as usual (more pixels, better battery, lighter, faster), that would be plenty good enough to upgrade.
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

it's ridiculously stupid to tap-tap-tap-tap to close all background applications.

People seem to be under the delusion that removing an app from the task list closes the app. It does not. It just removes it from the list.

To fully close an app, hold down the top button until it says "slide to power off" and then hold the Home button for 5 seconds.
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

There is some market pressure on Apple from Android phones with slightly larger screens, up to 4". Yet I keep looking at those and thinking that I don't want to stuff them in my pocket.

Apple wouldn't make a big bulky phone like those 4"+ Android units. It would be the same slender design with a millimetre or two added to the height/width. You'd barely notice it was bigger than the current phone.

A larger screen would probably draw more current so in order to maintain battery life a larger or higher energy density battery would be needed. I think making the phone 1mm wider and taller would be enough extra battery room to offset the demands of the larger screen size while not imposing much extra bulk/weight on users.
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Apple does not share pre-release product design information with case manufacturers. They have to wait like the rest of us.

They don't share that information with all manufacturers and and they don't share it very far in advance, but they definitely do share it with some.
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

People seem to be under the delusion that removing an app from the task list closes the app. It does not. It just removes it from the list.

To fully close an app, hold down the top button until it says "slide to power off" and then hold the Home button for 5 seconds.

That appears to kill apps on my phone. I've tried with several, restarting from the task list returns me to exactly where I was. If I remove it from the list, the next time the app goes through a full start.

It seems to me that iOS manages running apps: a place in the list doesn't imply the app is still running, but removing it from the list guarantees that it's stopped.
post #46 of 53
I made a 3D model of the iPhone 4 in SolidWorks (Yfrog link). It really wasn't that hard. I call BS...
post #47 of 53
I call BS. without at least a small bezel, the million cases to go with the iphone would not wrap around well. Besides, anyone with basic 3D skills could draw this. The iPonne dimentions are all on the Apple site. You would just have to punch them in.
post #48 of 53
I was able to upgrade when the iP4 launched but the glass backed square shape with cutting edges wasn't as smooth to the touch as my 3G, and I didn't fancy the shatterglass so I resisted the urge to upgrade and still have my 3G.

So if the iP5 is the same basic design, I won't be upgrading to that either, nor will my iP3GS girlfriend. I'll just have to wait for iP6. Shame really, there's nothing wrong with the iP4 specs, just the crappy design.
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

And lets not forget that Apple is not a big fan of asymmetry. It would be a lop-sided design. Jony Ive would never lower himself to this aesthetic.

iPhone 4 - asymmetrical black band on top
MacBook Pro - power button on rhs
etc, etc
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

He just wants to be argumentative today, RedRaider. I see he's apparently on the warpath and imposing his views (as fact) on everyone today. Now I don't feel so singled out. It sounds to me like someone needs to take a long lunch break, go get some fresh air and come back with a refreshed perspective.

How cute of you.
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Honestly I think the biggest improvement direction apple should go in is in rounding out the feature set of iOS. It needs a true shared file system area so apps can share information, even if it's remote on apple's servers. Also, it takes way too many taps or swipes to do basic functions like turn wifi off or change app settings. I also wish apple would implement a coverflow-like system for basic function changes (swipe to a corner or use a special kind of swipe to change basic functions without leaving the current app.) Also multi-tasking needs an overhaul- it's ridiculously stupid to tap-tap-tap-tap to close all background applications. One more change: iOS needs a customizable home screen. You shouldn't need to jailbreak just to get a calendar on your home screen, for example.

Honestly if apple would just improve iOS and make the iPhone more powerful as usual (more pixels, better battery, lighter, faster), that would be plenty good enough to upgrade.

Apple deliberately sandboxes apps so they can't share information. This is becoming common. we're seeing it in browsers, and in Google's Chrome OS, for example. It's one of the best ways to prevent malware from working.

But there is, and could be a bit more Sharing of some info. The problem is in deciding what is safe to share.
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Your fingers will cover a bit of the screen.

I agree, how do you hold and use an edge to touchscreen without interfering with the touch capability?

Don't think edge to edge touchscreen is viable.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I agree, how do you hold and use an edge to touchscreen without interfering with the touch capability?

Don't think edge to edge touchscreen is viable.

With a phone, your fingers don't really have to go much over the sides, unlike when holding a bigger device. In addition, it's not all the way across. There's still the edge which gives a millimeter or more of room.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Alleged engineering sketches show Apple's iPhone 5 with edge-to-edge screen
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged engineering sketches show Apple's iPhone 5 with edge-to-edge screen