or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Updated games use iPad 2's 9X graphics boost, campers brave rain at Apple's NYC store

Updated games use iPad 2's 9X graphics boost, campers brave rain at Apple's NYC store

post #1 of 33
Campers outside Apple's landmark Fifth Avenue store in New York City have weathered the elements waiting for the iPad 2 launch at 5 p.m. [updated with more pictures]. Also, some of the iPad's top-selling games have been updated to take advantage of the additional graphics horsepower in the iPad 2.

Lines of people await iPad 2

Apple's decision to only sell the iPad 2 at its retail stores and select partners on launch day has ensured that customers around the country are lined up for the second-generation device. It's a change from last year, when initial preorders were delivered in the mail on the launch Saturday.

Outside of Apple's iconic Fifth Avenue store in New York City, dozens of people have been queued since more than 24 hours before the iPad 2 is set to go on sale. Analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga securities said the line in Manhattan has grown to about 100 people as of this afternoon.

Those waiting to be among the first to get the new iPad have also had to brave the elements, as soggy weather has plagued the Big Apple. Outside the Fifth Avenue store, customers have been waiting, holding umbrellas and wearing ponchos as they camp out.

Below are some pictures taken from the New York lineup. Thanks to AppleInsider reader Ryan for the photos.

Update: More shots:

And thanks to reader Tim for this drive-by picture taken outside of Chicago's North/Clybourn Apple Store at 12:30 p.m.

Games updated for iPad 2

Three bestselling iPad games -- Real Racing 2 HD, Infinity Blade, and Dead Space HD (iTunes links) -- have already been updated to take advantage of the more powerful graphics capabilities of the iPad 2. The next-generation tablet features Apple's custom-built dual-core A5 processor.

Apple has claimed that the iPad 2 processor offers graphics capabilities that are up to nine times faster than the first-generation iPad. The new tablet also has double the RAM of its predecessor.

The A5 chip is believed to be based on the SGX543 chip, which is also expected to appear in the anticipated iPhone 5 later this year. The new graphics processor allows the iPad 2 to output 1080p high-definition video through a separate HDMI connector.

In addition, Real Racing 2 HD has also been updated to utilize the gyroscope found in the new iPad 2. Apple first introduced the gyroscope for iOS devices last year with the iPhone 4, allowing even more precise motion controls.
post #2 of 33
Hope to get mine at BB or Target!
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #3 of 33
The iPad 2 can decode 1080p video, but it can only output 720p.

-Peter
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHutnick View Post

-Peter

Hmm. How do you figure?
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #5 of 33
Quote:

-Peter

Actually, that's the wrong way around. The iPad can only decode up to 720p*, but with the HDMI adapter will output at a 1920 x 1080 resolution. So it decodes the 720p info then upscales, presumably using a built-in hardware upscaler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #6 of 33
Quote:

-Peter

Are sure Peter? Looks like the tech specs on Apple's page say Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (cables sold separately)
post #7 of 33
Apple said 9x the performance, Imagination said each SGX543 core was 4.5x the performance of the chip in the first iPad. So its probably an SGX543MP2, the dual GPU variety of it. Its scaleable, the NGP will use an MP4 as in four GPU's.

That sound right? Where else would they get 9x the performance from, if not an MP2.
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Campers outside Apple's landmark Fifth Avenue store in New York City have weathered the elements waiting for the iPad 2 launch at 5 p.m.

Not quite the same story in Austin
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Three bestselling iPad games -- Real Racing 2 HD, Infinity Blade, and Dead Space HD (iTunes links) -- have already been updated to take advantage of the more powerful graphics capabilities of the iPad 2.

>implying that graphical processing isn't embarassingly parallel and likely only very minor changes were needed

UE3 is already multithreaded, so that's pretty much covered. Let's see someone put out an iPad2-exclusive tech demo and REALLY push the hardware.

also inb4Fandroids crying about Tegra2
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Actually, that's the wrong way around. The iPad can only decode up to 720p*, but with the HDMI adapter will output at a 1920 x 1080 resolution. So it decodes the 720p info then upscales, presumably using a built-in hardware upscaler.

There a test somewhere using Oplayer app playing 1080p video file and it played fine.
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Not quite the same story in Austin

I'd be willing to bet that in the "permanent"stores, rather than in the 2 week only "popup store" that you're so anxious to quote .... it may be a different story altogether. Just curious to know why you didn't "think" to point out what kind of store this was. hmmmm?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
post #12 of 33
Do we really need to be pulled into the horror?
post #13 of 33
I like the "Big Apple" truck parked outside the Apple store in the third pic.
post #14 of 33
It has been raining for days in Pittsburgh but I'm headed to the shady side store at 3pm. At noon there was only one person in line so I'm guessing it won't be a long line at all.
post #15 of 33
I can’t believe you people are so concerned about a gadget when a tsunami has killed millions and will cost all the money in the world to repair the damages. You guys are so selfish! I say you should do the right thing and not wait in line today so I can have a better chance at getting an iPad 2.
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'd be willing to bet that in the "permanent"stores, rather than in the 2 week only "popup store" that you're so anxious to quote .... it may be a different story altogether. Just curious to know why you didn't "think" to point out what kind of store this was. hmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There are no lines outside the Mall of Georgia store either. NYC is going to be a different story because of population per square mile. So based on those pictures looks like many are just walking by in the rain.

There is no great conspiracy because people are saying there are no lines. It was already noted several days ago in most places lines will be short.

Yeah Newbee, don't be a tool. I chose that link because it was funny. You really shouldn't try to read between the lines when you are illiterate.
post #17 of 33
Quote:

Yeah Newbee, don't be a tool. I chose that link because it was funny. You really shouldn't try to read between the lines when you are illiterate.

LOL! In any case, there are at least 200 people at the 14th street store. There were like 150 at the Soho store at 11 am when there weren't even 50 people here and there were 250 people at 5th ave.
post #18 of 33
Quote:

Plenty of line at the Barton Creek Mall location before noon. Domain probably has many more since it's a bigger store and is collocated with condo complexes.
post #19 of 33
One question: Why?

Also, are they that insecure of themselves?

That impatient?

How they succeed in life is beyond me.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #20 of 33
For those who like to Motorola's Xoom and Apple's iPad2, don't even.
For a product that was dubbed "evolutionary" not revolutionary like the first iPad, the line is pretty impressive inspite of the elements. I never saw this kind of line at the Motorola Xoom launch day.
post #21 of 33
Let's face it iPad 1 did pretty good GPU wise, giving developers 9x more performance should lead to a whole host of interesting new apps. Combine this with iPads other improvements and it is like stepping a couple of generations into the future.

Game developers should be loving this new machine. However such performance enables a whole new generation of apps that simply couldn't be done well on iPad 1. If people are excited about iPad1 apps they will likely need hospitalization when iPad2 leveraged apps come out.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

That is a good question? Why do people wait in lines at restaurants or for concert tickets? I've never understood the need myself, especially to actually camp out in front of a store.
Quote:

City people? Not to be dismissive of our brothers in the big cities but when was the last time a country boy got in a 3 day line to by an Apple anything?
Quote:
That impatient?

I wonder myself. It is one thing to stand in line to get a burger or to get on the plane it is another thing to "get in line" days before the line even forms. More so who has the free time to camp on concrete? I know if I had the free time I'd be camping someplace where I could enjoy myself. Preferably a beach where smiles are worn.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

That impatient?

I wouldn't do it myself but I see the appeal somewhat. It's a festive atmosphere, everyone all psyched up waiting for their new toy, being one of the first to have it, etc. Again I wouldn't do it but I can see why a lot of people do. Now what I really don't understand is people buying them off ebay later today for WAY more than MSRP.
post #24 of 33
Quote:

Hmmmm, looks like I hit a nerve ..... two insults in one post ... that may be a record. Here's a hint for you. If you make good use out of the available icons .... it won't matter how "obscure" your humor is .... people will still "get it" .... like this ......
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There are no lines outside the Mall of Georgia store either. NYC is going to be a different story because of population per square mile. So based on those pictures looks like many are just walking by in the rain.

There is no great conspiracy because people are saying there are no lines. It was already noted several days ago in most places lines will be short.

You're wrong. There are long lines everywhere in NYC.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

You're wrong. There are long lines everywhere in NYC.

I attest to that. There are really long lines everywhere in all Apple Store locations in New York City.
post #27 of 33
I was number 71 of around 300 at the apple store in Pittsburgh. They had more than enough on hand to give everyone a garaunteed ticket.
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

I attest to that. There are really long lines everywhere in all Apple Store locations in New York City.

AT&T, Verizon, Best Buy sold out in NYC. Apple Soho and Meat Packing no longer accepting people tonight. Only 5th Ave has them but with crazy line.
post #29 of 33
Quote:

Hmmmm, looks like I hit a nerve ..... two insults in one post ... that may be a record. Here's a hint for you. If you make good use out of the available icons .... it won't matter how "obscure" your humor is .... people will still "get it" .... like this ......

I talked to a Genius while I was picking my iPads in Austin and he told me that they opened that SXSW store to just sell iPads. The festival starts this weekend. Lines got long fast, I think I was 50th(ish) and only got in line at the Barton Creek location at close to noon. By 5PM the line's end wasn't visible with many curves.

And I must not be illiterate too cause I didn't pick up on any hint of humor.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I talked to a Genius while I was picking my iPads in Austin and he told me that they opened that SXSW store to just sell iPads. The festival starts this weekend. Lines got long fast, I think I was 50th(ish) and only got in line at the Barton Creek location at close to noon. By 5PM the line's end wasn't visible with many curves.

And I must not be illiterate too cause I didn't pick up on any hint of humor.

Really you didn't think it was funny that there was this one doofy guy in line instead of the usual multitudes? Such as those mentioned in the article "braving" the rain.

And Newbee you're an odd person. What do you mean hit a nerve? My response was not strong enough to justify that verbiage.

And I refuse to use those stupid icons.
post #31 of 33
Quote:

Really you didn't think it was funny that there was this one doofy guy in line instead of the usual multitudes? Such as those mentioned in the article "braving" the rain.

And Newbee you're an odd person. What do you mean hit a nerve? My response was not strong enough to justify that verbiage.

And I refuse to use those stupid icons.

Funny that there was one guy in line? Why would that be funny? Was that article supposed to be a joke?
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Funny that there was one guy in line? Why would that be funny? Was that article supposed to be a joke?

At any rate, as has been noted, that lone guy soon enough got plenty of company.

Quote:
Apple maintained an air of mystery about its South by Southwest (SXSW) pop-up shop until the very last minute, waiting until barely an hour before launch time to unveil its logo and transform an anonymous, empty corner store in downtown Austin into the epicenter of iPad 2 mania. By then, the line of waiting shoppers stretched for blocks, tipped off by an article in a local newspaper late Wednesday that revealed Apple's plans.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #33 of 33
Quote:

And if someone called you an "illiterate tool" .... what, exactly, is the "correct" response .... according to the world of WelshDog?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Updated games use iPad 2's 9X graphics boost, campers brave rain at Apple's NYC store
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Updated games use iPad 2's 9X graphics boost, campers brave rain at Apple's NYC store