or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Impressive lines suggest first day iPad 2 sales could hit 500k, analyst says

Impressive lines suggest first day iPad 2 sales could hit 500k, analyst says - Page 3

post #81 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaw4 View Post

So Apple generates mass interest and under produces to meet obvious demands. To state that the Ipad2 would be available at local department stores and then provide only 2 - 5 per store; really? Yes, I wanted one so I stood in line for 30 minutes (number 6 in line) only to learn that they were only sent 2 ....supposedly they didn't know that up front. Is it enough to make me not buy one? Probably, but I doubt it.

I'd be more irritated at the retail store for the obvious lie. I called the closest Target store in my area at around 1:30 PM Friday and they told me they had 5 in stock total. The employee couldn't go back and check? It's well documented that these retail stores had received their shipments on Thursday.
post #82 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

HAHA I doubt he was even near an Apple Store unless there is one in his secret lair, command center (aka, basement). Hes on this site long enough to know how they close the stores before 5pm, then setup the displays, and then reopen to sell the merchandise. Does he really want us to think hes so dumb to think they had them on display all day long and had to keep telling customers, we arent selling them to you, we just wanted to fuck with you for the day. I didnt think a tinfoil hat would interfere with the plate in someones head but I might have to rethink that.

You need to watch your language first of all, and secondly need to stop throwing around the "tin foil hat" copout. Thats the preferred line used by people who ignore reality, and would rather pretend that those who don't aren't actually on to something.

Libertforall is usually a very good voice for truth, except today, where he clearly wanted an iPad 2 but got disgruntled by the line.
post #83 of 97
Launch day sales are ONLY limited to how many Apple can make available. 500k? Pish posh.

Apple could have sold 2 million yesterday if they had the inventory.
post #84 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzek View Post

Apple really screwed up this time. Apple store employees not properly trained had no idea the quantity or supply. Ca mon the upper management has a clue. There was well over 2000 people in line, I have the videos to prove it. At the Hillsdale Mall location in the SF Bay Area.

I was in line 3 hours early and not one of the lucky ones. One of the Apple store employees mentioned to another within earshot that they only had 500 units and only letting people purchase 2 at a time. No vouchers no nothing from Apple store for those of us that WASTED our time waiting in line while the employees could have said your number 500 there are no more for anyone behind you would have been nice. There was almost a riot as people were told there would be plenty, hell even Apple said there would be plenty. Not even close. ANd now they are saying it could be a month before you see any at the store.

What a load of crap Apple, this was really stupid and you pissed off allot of people. I was going to buy a brand new MacBook Pro 2K plus monitor for another 1K but forget you now.

Oh, STFU, you're a whining baby and an entitled drama queen. Nobody forced you to lineup, and noone guaranteed you an iPad if you lined up. It's always a risk. You chose to do so, nobody WASTED (using caps as you did) you time, you wasted your own time. You could have waited a few days/weeks/whatever when supplies become available and gotten one by randomly dropping by a store.

And the WAWA IM NOT BUYING APPLE PRODUCTS ANYMORE is so pathetic and childish. You decision to spend 3K is contingent on this experience, and not based on research on what you actually need? You have serious issues in that case. Does the fact that you didnt get an iPad today have anything to do with the quality of the product? Not a single company on earth can pull off a launch of this magnitude and demand and guarantee supplies for everyone who wants one 1st day. Its simply not possible, from a logistical, financial, marketing, and production standpoint. It has been this way for every single anticipated apple product in the past few years, as well as from any other tech company with products this high in demand (which are very few and far inbetween) Its just how it is, and will only get worse as Apple products become more and more popular and mainstream. Suck it up, the world isnt ending cause u didnt get your shiny iPad THE 1ST DAY. I'm currently living in Beirut, Lebanon, and when the iPad2 does eventually show up here in a month or two (unofficially, no Apple stores in the country) it will retail upwards of $800 US for the basic model. Meanwhile, tens of thousands are dying with multiple catastrophic natural disasters worldwide, revolutions, etc. Get a grip.
post #85 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I wrote the exact same thing a couple of days ago on another thread here: Apple knows what you will be buying in 2012, 2013... and probably up to 2015.

2012 devices are already in finalization stages for production. Possibly some missing parts, or production facilities are waiting to retool and get up to speed, while at the same time... trying to keep up with the demand for iPad2. I expect iPad 2 shortages and delays through out the entire year.

If Apple could find a way to produce 100 million iPad 2's... I seriously doubt they would have a problem moving out every single one of them, whether this year or as with iPad 1, discounted after iPad3 launches.

Many people forget that there are some organizations (I know of 2 here in Germany) that will be purchasing over 1000(s) iPads in bulk. Lets add schools, hospitals, the airline industry, etc, etc.

Once again... it is the production logistics that is holding Apple back. Seriously, by all accounts, they could have sold 1 million on Friday alone! They tease people a bit too much, by not having enough inventory... and that is probably THE only thing as an APPL investor, that I find regrettable.

I don't know about Apple teasing people. Apple has to navigate some pretty tricky waters when it comes to unveiling a new product. Rumor sites (ahem!) go wild, and not totally unrelated, Apple fans salivate (can you blame them/us??)and this is even before any actual announcement is made. I think there's only so much product that can be put into the channel without running into more logistical problems: storage, warehousing, inventory, etc. Yes, I suppose Apple could have waited a couple more months before announcing the iPad 2, all the while, secretly running their production partners at maximum capacitythough the secrecy would be pretty difficult to maintain even at Apple's standards. Once word got out that Apple had been sitting on millions of iPad 2's, there would be riots in the streets! mayhem! death and dismemberment! It would come to be known as the "iPad Apocalypse!" or "iPadaggedon!!".
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #86 of 97
Quote:

What a load of crap Apple, this was really stupid and you pissed off allot of people. I was going to buy a brand new MacBook Pro 2K plus monitor for another 1K but forget you now.

so you picked the launch of the iPad 2 to go pick up all this stuff from apple?

Then you came to apple rumors site and post your 1st comment about how long it took you to stand in line and was turned away because you got in line late?

I do not believe you for a second. Man, these trolls are getting better, but since they have no room to complain about anything apple product related anymore and instead they are trying to go after apple's customer service.

Like even apple could have predicted 3-5x more people wanting to buy the iPad2, including the people that already have one and want the second one sight-unseen.
post #87 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreaq View Post

When comparing today's launch of iPad 2 to last year's launch of iPad 1, no one seems to recall the 3G versions weren't available until something like 3 weeks after the launch. This time all versions were supposedly available at launch that's a big change. I probably would have tried to get an IPad last year at launch day if the 3Gs were available. As it was, I think it was over a month after launch that I got my hands on my much coveted 64G 3G iPad. (Even after the 3Gs were released, no store seemed to be able to keep a 64G version in stock. Since I was going to Chicago for vacation a few days later, I didn't reserve one in any of the S. Florida stores I checked. I ended up reserving one in a Chicago Apple store the day I arrived and got mine 5 days later. It was a good thing my vacation was a week long!)

Today I went to the launch at Dadeland Mall (south of Miami, FL.) I'm bad at estimating but I think there were about 200 ahead of me when I got in line at 2pm. Around 2:30, employees came out to announce they had received no 16G 3Gs but had received all other models but some were "in limited quantities" and they'd be going through the line handing out cards for each iPad they had. (I later heard from a store employee that they received the shipment around 1:00.) At 3:00, they started going down the line with a cart full of sorted cards asking each person which model they wanted. By the time they got to the section I was in (We were separated from the front section by several yards because of mall layout.) they announced they were out of 32G 3G cards. They ran out of white 64G 3Gs a few people ahead of me. (Fortunately I wanted a black one anyway.) The guy ahead of me also took a black 64G 3G card but stated he had really wanted a white 32G 3G and soon left the line stating he was going to try and sell his card to someone. I think he and maybe some other people did that because after I got my iPad and walked by the end of the line and employee was asking if anyone had a 64G 3G card and a few people raised their hands so I'm thinking store employees were a little confused thinking they should have sold those out already serving that part of the line and wondering where the "missing cards" were. (It wasn't a problem for those people in either case. They told us we *could* leave the line after getting our cards and be guaranteed the iPad on the card but we'd likely have to wait longer by having to go to the back of the line. I didn't see anyone but that guy in front of me leave the line after getting his card though.)

Anyway, I got my iPad at 5:30 and went to dinner in the mall. I passed by the store around 7:30 and there were about 50 people still waiting in line. I asked the employee supervising the line if they completely sold out and she confirmed they had.

This is the second time I've done the wait in line Apple device launch thing. (The other was for the iPhone 3G my first iPhone. I did eventually get both 3GS and 4 but not on launch day.) Launch days are fun and tend to fall on Fridays which is my day off. I fully acknowledge I'm a geek and an Apple fangirl. I like hanging out with the other geeks in line! If the next iPhone receives on a 4G network, I'll probably go to that launch too. And if there's a fall release of iPad 3, I'll not only buy it but probably do launch day again!

horray for fangirls and congrats on your first post...

sorry you didnt one that day, I am sure it will be available after this weekend some point.
I want the coveted White 64GB 3G... drools...
post #88 of 97
Reading some of the ridiculous claims here, that Apple Store is just holding back to claim "demand" outstripping "supply", we must have it good in Boston. The lines might have been longer, but the weather was bad Thursday to early afternoon Friday in Boston. The lines were about 8-10 people abreast at the front and 4-6 abreast as it tails all the way down to Newburry St. I heard quite a number of passersby that they would just come during the weekend.

That was the first crowd before the Office workers came out. Amazingly. the line even at past 8pm became even longer (possibly from the Office workers) because the tail end was still near Newburry street, except it was just 3-4 abreast near the very tail of the line.

But, the bottom line, the Apple staff, assured all of them that they have the stock. Considering how brisked the sales were, only a few bought one (1), more bought the maximum of two, and groups of buddies bought 3-4, while some families bought as many as five. Judging by the numbers there were thousands already sold by 830pm that may more than double, if all those still outside would buy one or two each.

CGC
post #89 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

as well as from any other tech company with products this high in demand (which are very few and far inbetween)

actually when was the last long line up for any tech product other than console video games?

nothing I can think of, in japan, the PSP2 or whatever, but stateside?

There are not enough geeks and tech bloggers (oh wait, they don't pay for stuff to review, otherwise known as soft bribery) to form a line for anything android, windows or linux, combined. lol.

remember that sham Microsoft pulled announcing their, what, second store, and it was next to apple's and an exact copy except with giant Blue screens on the wall (the irony of that in itself). I mean you can not even write this stuff, it's comic gold.

You hear about all the fandroids saying they want this tablet or that, but I have not heard of enough sales of all these combined tablets that sell what Apple's iPad2 will do this weekend.

Samsung "sold" 200K opening weekend or month or something. Yea we are still waiting for the actual sell-out numbers which should be out at the end of this month. I will be laughing at the end of the year when the Samsung tablet division is so far in the red, they have to axe a couple of people.
post #90 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You need to watch your language first of all, and secondly need to stop throwing around the "tin foil hat" copout. Thats the preferred line used by people who ignore reality, and would rather pretend that those who don't aren't actually on to something.

Libertforall is usually a very good voice for truth, except today, where he clearly wanted an iPad 2 but got disgruntled by the line.

Anyone who says that constantly talks up conspiracy theories about technology while using technology to convey that message falls into that category. Do you not recall the talk about how Bluetooth and WiFi and NFC will lead to the government controlling your minds and watching everything you do?
post #91 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

So is it safe to say that all they stores are sold out and we don't know when they will be available next, other than 2-3 weeks?

I'm not sure of the 500k number in the head line. Granted I'm only guessing by reading everyones posts today, but it sounds like the quantities were extremely limited.

So if each apple store had an average of 500 units, that would be around 120,000. If they each had 1,000 units (which it doesn't sound likely from what I'm reading here). That's about 240,000. Now figure all of the box stores and the carriers had an average of say 50, no wait 100. That would put the number somewhere around 350,000 right?

Granted I'm just guessing, but that's what the analyst do isn't it?

Did anyone get a promise that the stores would have more tomorrow or Sunday? I don't believe they can stock too many in the apple stores themselves, but they may have them in local warehouses...

You're not taking online orders into consideration.
post #92 of 97
Quote:

So Apple generates mass interest and under produces to meet obvious demands. To state that the Ipad2 would be available at local department stores and then provide only 2 - 5 per store; really? Yes, I wanted one so I stood in line for 30 minutes (number 6 in line) only to learn that they were only sent 2 ....supposedly they didn't know that up front. Is it enough to make me not buy one? Probably, but I doubt it.

I don't think it's so much a "marketing ploy" created by Apple as it is a positive feedback loop of hype and excitement generated by Apple fans and loyalists. Not making a judgment of the results either way. it is what it is.
post #93 of 97
... trying to get my head around this:

Lines are twice as long at more overall stores & now there are some 10 times as many retail partners, so analysts think that should bump sales by ... 30 - 60% on day one?

Curious math there fellas.
post #94 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

horray for fangirls and congrats on your first post...

sorry you didnt one that day, I am sure it will be available after this weekend some point.
I want the coveted White 64GB 3G... drools...

Ah, you misread me. I DID get my iPad 2 yesterday. It was the iPad 1 last year I had to wait for because the model I wanted, 64G 3G, was apparently the hard to get one. This year, it seems there were more big storage models sent in the shipment and those who wanted iPads with less storage were disappointed this time. There was that one guy ahead of me who wanted a 32G who probably went to sell his card. There was another who grumbled about it being a big ploy to get him to spend more money. It's nothing so nefarious; I think it was just likely basing shipment on last year's demand.

These are not Silly Bandz, which is probably the simplest high demand product to produce. We don't know the exact number; but we do know Apple shipped a pretty large number of iPad 2s yesterday and pretty much sold them all. So they sometimes have a little trouble meeting demand in the first few weeks of launching a new product because the demand is insane. Has there ever been a group of high tech products that has demand like ... THIS ... like Silly Bandz?! That's actually kinda a good "problem" for a company to have.

Anyway I happen to be typing this response on my new iPad 2! And though on initial evaluation, it didn't seem that much lighter than the iPad 1, YES it is a big difference! Web pages also load super fast so even though I'm not a big gamer, I'm definitely feeling the faster processor. The iPad 2 just kinda feels like a sleek race car while the iPad 1 was a nice solid vehicle.

One other note since they tend to get a really bad rap ... from me too. I called AT&T wireless customer service last night to get my grandfathered unlimited data plan transferred to my new iPad 2. I was very pleasantly surprised that I did not have to wait on hold AT ALL and that the man who answered knew exactly what to do. He had the plan transferred for me in a matter of a few minutes!
post #95 of 97
Quote:

Hahaha .... of course you were .....
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #96 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

WHAT A JOKE! I visited the local Apple Store and it was CLOSED until 5PM?! WTF?! A line of morons wasting their time for electronics -- turned around and went home. Some people have nothing better to do with their time. I have no intention to buy iPad 2, just wanted to try it out since I was passing by...

You know what we call people who intend to buy an iPad 2? Customers, not morons.
You know what we call people who don't have any intention of buying one and instead insults paying customers? Trolls.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #97 of 97
Quote:

Wow! That's funny. Why didn't they just tell people they only got two in? They staff at 5th street apple store they are selling them as fast as apple can make them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Impressive lines suggest first day iPad 2 sales could hit 500k, analyst says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Impressive lines suggest first day iPad 2 sales could hit 500k, analyst says