or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Strong demand pushes new iPad 2 shipments from Apple back to 3-4 weeks

Strong demand pushes new iPad 2 shipments from Apple back to 3-4 weeks - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

since ipad uses Toshiba NAND chips, this earth quake related shutdown is a serious problem

Yes, they do seem to be using Samsung RAM, and at least for some, Toshiba NAND. But as far as I know, this shouldn't be a problem for Apple, and this report pretty much confirms that:

A quote, and then the link:

Quote:
Market Impact:
Some press reports explain that such a difficulty could impact Apple's shipments of iPhones, iPods, iPad tablets, and even computers. This is highly unlikely. Apple, estimated to consume between 25-30% of all NAND flash produced, is simply too large of a customer for any NAND producer to put off. If suppliers find that there is not enough NAND to satisfy their customers' needs, these suppliers will reduce shipments to their smallest customers first, waiting as long as possible to reduce shipments to their largest customers.

http://www.professormemory.edn.com/b...availability-a

Other manufacturers should be worried though.
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The problem we have is that many posters are too lazy to read posts more than a few before their own post, and so we repeat the same thing over and again. I feel terrible about the whole thing, and some of my daughter's schoolmates in the UK have family in Japan, and she called us in distress over this. But to have to repeat it every few posts for newcomers shouldn't be required.

Damned if one does, damned if one doesn't. I appreciate hearing your opinion on posting etiquette never the less.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, they do seem to be using Samsung RAM, and at least for some, Toshiba NAND. But as far as I know, this shouldn't be a problem for Apple, and this report pretty much confirms that:

A quote, and then the link:

http://www.professormemory.edn.com/b...availability-a

Other manufacturers should be worried though.

Well, their stuff aren't selling, so they needn't to worry. Apple, on the other hand, doesn't have that luxury.
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Well, their stuff aren't selling, so they needn't to worry. Apple, on the other hand, doesn't have that luxury.

But Apple will likely get what they want anyway. As they're locked into price, that won't be a problem either.
post #45 of 47
So, where's that "iPad killer"?
*cough* *cough*
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

I agree. I suspect the earlier reports of problems ramping up to production volumes had more than a kernel of truth, and Apple simply refused to delay and face the bad press. Thus, Apple didn't have nearly the volumes available needed for the rush.

Even if they had delayed or had more out in the field there would likely still be problems cause they could guess how many of each sku every store needed. Thats why this whole first come thing sucks.

What they should do, in my opinion, is to require a reservation. No more walk ins at launch time.

Let folks start signing up like a week out. Give them a limited time of like 24 hours to edit their reservation. after that if they want to change it's cancel and go to the end of the list.

Give all the stores a deadline to set their schedules. Then have a program that conservatively calculates how many whatevers can be sold by that many staff in the time the store is open, calculating in breaks etc. They already have systems for the genius bar etc so that could probably be modified for this special sales queue. Maybe calculate it cutting off the last hour to cover overflow if a few take a little longer.

Then like 3 days before launch, the system counts off that number of units, polls that number off the top of the list, ships the appropriate numbers of boxes to have the needed units on hand with say a box of each for dead on arrival swaps (assuming they ship like 5 or 10 to a master box). The customers in question are sent a pick up email for launch day. If they don't show they have to start over. if they decide they want a different one, they start over.

Each day the system does it again, still like a couple of days out so folks can make plans. Then no more folks pissed that they stood in line all day for nothing. No more pissed off malls etc about the crowds and the noise. When the bulk of the demand is over then they could go to walk ins or reserves that would queue up right away if there is stock or hold for the next shipment, but still you would get an email saying you definitely have one waiting and until when

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Even if they had delayed or had more out in the field there would likely still be problems cause they could guess how many of each sku every store needed. Thats why this whole first come thing sucks.

What they should do, in my opinion, is to require a reservation. No more walk ins at launch time.

Let folks start signing up like a week out. Give them a limited time of like 24 hours to edit their reservation. after that if they want to change it's cancel and go to the end of the list.

Give all the stores a deadline to set their schedules. Then have a program that conservatively calculates how many whatevers can be sold by that many staff in the time the store is open, calculating in breaks etc. They already have systems for the genius bar etc so that could probably be modified for this special sales queue. Maybe calculate it cutting off the last hour to cover overflow if a few take a little longer.

Then like 3 days before launch, the system counts off that number of units, polls that number off the top of the list, ships the appropriate numbers of boxes to have the needed units on hand with say a box of each for dead on arrival swaps (assuming they ship like 5 or 10 to a master box). The customers in question are sent a pick up email for launch day. If they don't show they have to start over. if they decide they want a different one, they start over.

Each day the system does it again, still like a couple of days out so folks can make plans. Then no more folks pissed that they stood in line all day for nothing. No more pissed off malls etc about the crowds and the noise. When the bulk of the demand is over then they could go to walk ins or reserves that would queue up right away if there is stock or hold for the next shipment, but still you would get an email saying you definitely have one waiting and until when

That's very logical if your interest is in getting wanted items into customer's hands in the most efficient manner. Unfortunately, you then forego the event excitement covered in the press. Apple is a PR master at manipulating news cycles for good press, or at least getting noticed in a way that attracts others to their products. If buyers can simply walk in quietly at their assigned purchase window and pick up a product, no one would notice.

So, I say good luck with waiting for Apple to forego all the free publicity they get with first-come first served crowds.

I think the main problem this time around was that there are 18 versions of the iPad and, as you said, it was basically impossible for Apple to guess at the best product mix to meet demand at release. As purchase data accumulate, Apple will be better able to change their production schedules to stock specific models tailored to each store's needs.

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Strong demand pushes new iPad 2 shipments from Apple back to 3-4 weeks
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Strong demand pushes new iPad 2 shipments from Apple back to 3-4 weeks