or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple attracts 70% new buyers with iPad 2 launch - survey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple attracts 70% new buyers with iPad 2 launch - survey - Page 2

post #41 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Smart cover is a cool idea I just wish there was an option to have something to protect the back of the iPad. I thought the iPad 1 case was pretty much perfect for protecting and using your iPad.

I don't have anything for my iPad 2 yet so I carry it around like a newborn baby.

There will be, by 3rd parties... Or do you think that Apple should just make all accessories themselves?
post #42 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They certainly could ...

Why are you not including the stories about the iPad having an already lower profit margin to make it more competitive in a market segment that has been an abysmal failure for 2 decades? If you really think its about forcing people to upgrade every year then why are even supporting 2 to 3 generations back with iOS? If they stopped updating after one year theyd still be beating the rest of the industry by a fair margin.

Its a good lesson to learn that getting some right means balancing what you include with what you exclude, not simply adding everything that looks great on a spec sheet. We can look to the Moto Xoom to see evidence of that.

well that is the trick. For me, I needed a new computer, but 95% my usage is email and web surf, thus got the ipad2. However, I would have paid a bit more for more ram(yup, have seen it max out already with too many apps left open and futureproof etc, that was not normal, normal use is fine and snappy) and if going to the trouble of adding cameras add the iphone4 cameras. Keep two speakers. And yes, while old school a USB port to hook up printers(next puchase is an airplay printer). I know the arguments for these design decisions , but like I said I would have paid a bit extra for these things. That said I much prefer the iPad display and form factor to an MBA (getting old and need the big type). Anyways, just my personal desires, your milage may vary.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #43 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

While the first generation white MacBooks had issues with blemishes, I can say the first generation black is rock solid after 5 years. I've had to replace a battery and HD, but that's nothing out of the ordinary. Yet another case of the first generation 'winning.'

My black Macbook is still going strong too after all these years. I recently had a huge mishap where I spilt 32 oz of coke directly on it and I thought that it was dead for sure. I ended up taking apart the entire machine and I gave everything an alcohol bath. My keyboard was ruined though, so I ordered a whole new top section which includes both the keyboard and trackpad, so it now looks brand new, just like the day I bought it, and it works great too. I also put a 7200 rpm 500 gig drive in it, so it's even faster than before.

I also ordered a stand for it, so I won't have any more coke mishaps that will kill the machine. I always eat and drink by my computers.
post #44 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

I think a lot of people felt that the first generation iPad was nothing more then a 10" iPod Touch and that Apple could have done a lot more with iPad v1 so they waited until iPad v2. I am one of those people. Things like HDMI and cameras for Facetime should have been on iPad v1. Now that they are on v2 people are a bit happier and willing to buy.

And where may I ask, did you get this information? Your finding must be "TOP SECRET" because the other reports indicated that:
  1. A number of agencies of the US Department of Defense, as well as their counterparts (e.g., in the UK) have created either their own Apps for the iPad, using them for instructions, etc.
  2. More than 90% of the Top Fortune companies are either testing or deploying the iPad.
  3. A number of well-known restaurants replaced their menu list with an iPad version.
  4. The re-sale of the original iPad, once the iPad2 was annnounced, was reported by eBay, and other resellers, to be the most active and the biggest ever among consumer products. And, for what you claim to be just a big iPod touch was averaging $300 for the most basic? Can you ever sell a used car for that high resale value?
  5. Many foreigners were so mad at Apple because the launch of the original iPad was delayed in their country.
  6. Street people, and others who were not expected to be able to afford the original iPad (some were paying cash), were lining up daily, many months after the original iPad went of sale in the US. It got so bad, Apple placed ID check and restrictions. It got so bad, that the Attorney General of New York had to reprimand Apple for its reaction to curb the "practice" because of a possible case of discrimination. "Street people" must be so ignorant and clueless perhaps, they did not read the verdict of geeks and techno-analysts who like you proclaimed: a lot of people felt that the first generation iPad was nothing more then a 10" iPod Touch

Do you ever read anything beyond what you write? Because if you do, you would have come out with a different conclusion -- " a lot of people felt that the first generation iPad was nothing more then a 10" iPod Touch ". I take it you are one of those lot?

Of course, 15 million out of more than 6 billion is a "rounding error" in Ballmer's math. So, you have a supporter in Ballmer with your hypothesis.

CGC
post #45 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I recently had a huge mishap where I spilt 32 oz of coke directly on it and I thought that it was dead for sure.

Oh yeah? In November I split hot chocolate on mine.
post #46 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Oh yeah? In November I split hot chocolate on mine.

Did you have to take apart the entire machine and clean it out? I was going to work on the inside of mine with a toothbrush and alcohol, scrubbing like crazy on the motherboard.
post #47 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Forget any talk of simple analysis. But that is just outright false. There were huge lines for the iPad, and shipping was at 3-4 weeks for months.

Even in June-July, it was impossible to walk into an NYC Apple Store and get the iPad on the spot. You had to reserve one and then wait around a week (I specifically remember this because I needed to send an iPad with a friend to my home country, and was unable to do so because contrary to my expectations iPads were not immediately available early July....although, this was the Wifi version. Maybe the 3G versions were available?).

I strolled into the Santa Monica Apple Store last year on the day the Ipad 3G was unveiled and picked one up, no lines, no waiting, fully stocked.

Different story this year.
post #48 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Analysts are not to be believed.

True.

Their estimates on Apple are consistently low.

Gene Munster is not a star-rated analyst. His inaccuracy is legendary. It's shameful that AppleInsider continues to ignore this shortcoming.
post #49 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I was thinking I wanted 32GB black and ended up getting 64GB white. It was the only white model they had left and once I saw the white I had to have it.

I'm going to be getting the black one, but after seeing the white one in person tonight, it's actually not that bad looking at all.

My girl will be getting the white one and I'll be getting the black one, so we don't get them mixed up.
post #50 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What other touch controlled tablets are you referring to here that had such things available when iPad 1 was launched?

That is not what the poster was saying.

I also looked at the V1 and decided to wait for v2, considering where the iPhone was already up to (3GS) I very much saw it as a market beta. Kind of like the EDGE iPhone, the 3G being the first real complete model (Inc AppStore). I made that choice within hours of the keynote.

I also knew I'd be more likely to take a 2-3yr cycle on the iPad vs a 1-2 on the iPhone so the v2 made more sense. I also from the announcement keynote decided that the v2 would have a front facing camera as it was a key missing component for the business market and finally I felt that Apple will reserve new features for the iPhone first for a few reasons.

All that said I bought no iPad 1 but as early as august last year knew I'd be buying up to 10 iPad 2's for the business BECAUSE they would have front facing cameras and have 2yrs oomph in them. That was a rumor free personal analysis.

To conclude, I am now of the opinion that iPhone/iPad are now sorted in terms of hardware (sure they will improve) whereas most of the really important improvements are now solely possible in the OS, such as better file transfer, swapping apps and even though Apple likes to force upgrade by fake limiting software updates to versions none of the major improvements have a horsepower issue, probably more security and user experience issues to resolve and so current hardware is likely to last 2-3 software generations now, suitable for my intended update cycle.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #51 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Did you have to take apart the entire machine and clean it out? I was going to work on the inside of mine with a toothbrush and alcohol, scrubbing like crazy on the motherboard.

Luckily no. Before I thought about anything else, even being burnt, I flipped the MacBook upside down, unplugged it, moved it over to a table and began dotting it with a damp rag. Skin will heal, but the MacBook will not.

The spill mostly hit the trackpad, spacebar, and hand rest.
post #52 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


His statement isn't that off. The iPad was nothing more then a big iPod Touch with a better UI. .

And those lot of people did not buy it because the main reason is that "... the original iPad is nothing but a big iPod touch"???

Was there even a survey that indicated that was the main reason why people did not buy the original iPad?

It may be even more "safe to state: "A lot of people did not buy the original iPad because....":
  • they did not have the money to buy one
  • they did not have a use for it
  • they like the iPad but the focus of their activities preclude significant use of the iPad
  • the iPad just did not reach their country in sufficient number



I like the original iPad very much, but I did not buy it for a different reason not because I thought "... the original iPad is nothing but a big iPod touch" In fact, we would have bought several of the original iPad had our business project in CA went through. The other party though changed his mind based on the terms my family was willing to enter into the transaction.

I like the iPad2 even better from my short experience trying it, but an iPad is not the most suited for the projects I am most involved with right now.

"300/499" is not 50% and that is what was quoted by big resellers. It went down only after Apple announced that they are selling still unsold original iPad for $399 and refurbished iPad for $349(???) with one year guaranty.

Would you buy a used tech device with no guarantees, if you can get one directly from Apple, with 1-year warranty?

CGC
post #53 of 96
I would have bought the original iPad. I want an iPad 2 but still cannot justify purchasing one as my Macbook is still in good health and does most of what I'd use the iPad for. For me the iPad will be a replacement of my Macbook so I may have to wait for the iPad 3. It certainly won't replace my iMac though. At least not with the current model.
post #54 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Pretentious much?

So it's pretentious to love computers, and see their potential?

I used to love Apple when they were about bicycles for the mind, now they are about tricycles for the mind.

Somewhere on the way to simplifying people's work tools they got sidetracked on to making toys. Simple things and toys are related concepts, so there was always a danger of that in their DNA. They always hype their sales now, but so what if you're no longer doing good in the world? Those numbers are then just a measure of your evil.
post #55 of 96
It'll be interesting to see what the actual numbers turn out to be. Just a little mental arithmetic makes the 500,000 seem a little low to me. A million? Who knows?

One thing I do know is that when the numbers come out, the nerdrage from the iPad haters is going to be apocalyptic! (Apple-ocalyptic?) They've been setting up the narrative for weeks now: "No big deal." "Just iPad 1.5." "The Verizon iPhone launch was a failure." 'The Xoom's going to smoke the iPadjust you wait!" The butthurt at seeing all these lines and the public enthusiasm is going to be something to behold.
post #56 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I would have bought the original iPad. I want an iPad 2 but still cannot justify purchasing one as my Macbook is still in good health and does most of what I'd use the iPad for. For me the iPad will be a replacement of my Macbook so I may have to wait for the iPad 3. It certainly won't replace my iMac though. At least not with the current model.

This confirms what some people were saying during the iPad2 frenzy at the Boylston Apple Store last Friday.

A friend of mine also wants the iPad but she is happy with her iPhone4 right now. She is still saving money to buy either the MacBook Air or the original iPad. That was late last year. She has not seen the new iPad yet. They were too busy with a big event this April.

CGC
post #57 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So it's pretentious to love computers, and see their potential?

I used to love Apple when they were about bicycles for the mind, now they are about tricycles for the mind.

Somewhere on the way to simplifying people's work tools they got sidetracked on to making toys. Simple things and toys are related concepts, so there was always a danger of that in their DNA. They always hype their sales now, but so what if you're no longer doing good in the world? Those numbers are then just a measure of your evil.

I thought maybe if your first comment was ignored, you might drop this dead ended line of thinking, but it seems you want an argument.

That bicycle metaphor is way out of date, and I think Jobs would certainly disown it today. There was no internet to speak of then; the personal computer was mostly a stand-alone amplifier of an individual's mind.

Now it is obvious to anyone not stuck in left-brain categories -- anyone with imagination, in other words -- that the internet, the network, is the computer, and our various access devices are ways of adding or extracting knowledge or media in and out of the network.

If you could relax and allow yourself to use an iPad around the house and out in the world for a while, you would find that it can add enormously to what you can learn in one day, or to what you can accomplish in the way of always-on-anywhere communications with the connected world.

It is like a portable power tool, and once you've gone cordless, you are amazed at how much quicker and more flexible you can be.
post #58 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

And those lot of people did not buy it because the main reason is that "... the original iPad is nothing but a big iPod touch"???

The iPad's a lightweight, portable, secure, limited functionality computing device with a curated application store and a screen that's big enough to be useful.

I think it's safe to say most people bought the iPad because it's "a big iPod touch".
post #59 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm going to be getting the black one, but after seeing the white one in person tonight, it's actually not that bad looking at all.

My girl will be getting the white one and I'll be getting the black one, so we don't get them mixed up.

The white one is gorgeous. I just don't understand some people that claim TV never have white bezel. Huh? I watched movies on my white notebook with no problem whatsoever.
post #60 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Simple things and toys are related concepts,.

You're so wrong. The ultimate goal in design is to make things as simple as possible. Simple doesn't mean "toy". It means "professional".
post #61 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Thanks! I'm not desperate or anything, and I haven't put any big effort into trying to obtain one yet. There are plenty of stores that sell them in my area, and new stock is coming in, so I'll eventually be able to grab one with a little luck.

You won't need luck, just patience.
post #62 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I think it's safe to say most people bought the iPad because it's "a big iPod touch".

But it's not.

Just like swimming pools aren't just big bathtubs. The size makes them inherently different. A lot of people don't get this.
post #63 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

But it's not.

Just like swimming pools aren't just big bathtubs. The size makes them inherently different. A lot of people don't get this.

Of course it is!
post #64 of 96
Derision:

"No one will buy the iPad... it is just a big iPod touch."

One was so bold enough to say he will eat his Blackberry Phone(???) if his prediction did not come true. I have yet to see the proof that he kept his word.

Not only did the iPad found its own users, it was such a very fast acceptance of a product of Apple that the likes of Microsoft, and others have tried, but never succeeded. And, so, they thought Apple would suffer similar fate as their own failure.

15 million original iPad buyers proved them wrong.


If I were one of the Apple/Steve Jobs haters & detractors, pundits, pseudo techno-analysts who made such predictions before even testing the original iPad, and kept maintaining that their perspectives/delusions must be how other people -- I would be more cautious making such unfounded and bold predictions.

Instead, they still maintain their delusions without so much as providing any proof:

Quote:
a lot of people did not buy "... the original iPad is nothing but a big iPod touch"???"


Transformative

Though I do not have any survey to show, i would not be too surprised if many iPad buyers never even knew or used the iPod touch. And, if they knew or heard about it, many might have considered that the iPod touch does not suit their purpose. The latter notion is supported that the type of activities and the duration spent for these activities are quite different between the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

Size matters. Any person who is perceptive and does some simple ruminations would come to a conclusion that a small Boeing Jumbo Jet is nothing but a big Cessna Jet, even if both are jets and are meant to transport people. Anyone who wants to debate this does not warrant any response.

That sensible people can find a more purposeful use of the iPad, and even can play a very key role in their profession is proven by my interactions with a few during the iPad2 launch on Friday. Last Sunday afternoon, I ended up not doing my work why at the Boylston Apple Store because I got into a productive discussion with a professional photographer. He has all these computers (a notebook, the original iPad) and external drives. He has at home servers and desktops to process his movies and photographs. He bought the original iPad for portability. On Sunday, he has his iPad and a MacBookPro because with the help of the local Apple staff, he was able finally to work on a proprietary Canon movie he took a few years back for a customer. He did not know how to transfer the proprietary video from his other Canon camera to iMovie, a problem that the staff at Apple was able to solve.

Yes, there was an "App for his need" that the Apple staff helped him find, and will be richer because he can now deliver the finished goods to his client.

He uses his original iPad not only on the move, but also to show his clients the finished product.

Why don't you just use the iPod touch? It is cheaper and even more portable, and the iPad is nothing but a big iPod touch, they say.

Try persuading a professional photographer, artist with that thinking. And let me know how well you will fare.


2011 is the Year of the Copycat

One can make a twist that this year would be indeed a year when there will be a banner of iPad-copycats, even among manufacturers who once tried but failed.

Remember the famous statement of Bill Gates regarding the original iPad? Now the company he founded, has been trying to come up with an iPad killer.


CGC



Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

The iPad's a lightweight, portable, secure, limited functionality computing device with a curated application store and a screen that's big enough to be useful.

I think it's safe to say most people bought the iPad because it's "a big iPod touch".
post #65 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

I think a lot of people felt that the first generation iPad was nothing more then a 10" iPod Touch and that Apple could have done a lot more with iPad v1 so they waited until iPad v2. I am one of those people. Things like HDMI and cameras for Facetime should have been on iPad v1. Now that they are on v2 people are a bit happier and willing to buy.

im one like you this version should have been ipad 1
post #66 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

im one like you this version should have been ipad 1

Hmm.. maybe the iPad 3 should be the iPad 1, or is it the iPad 4?? Do you actually realize how silly your statement is. You suggest 15 million people should not have bought the iPad 1 but instead (because it's your opinion) they ought to have waited until the actual iPad 1 (iPad 2) is available??
post #67 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Analysts are not to be believed.

So true - analysts are totally pointless, like car alarms. It's the kind of job where you can be wrong over, and over, and over again. And you still get to keep your job.
post #68 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

But there is a fine line between making a tool simple *to use* and making a simple tool. You go far enough down the second path and you are manufacturing toys.

Apple Computer, Inc was totally admirable and an historic force for good. Apple Toy Co, Inc is encouraging people to swap their "bicycles for the mind" for toys.

And what criteria do you suggest we all use to determine whether Apple is offering us a "simple tool" or a "toy"? An answer of the form "The former has a keyboard" and "The latter has no keyboard" won't cut it.
post #69 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A more popular use for the iPad 2 is using apps and playing games, which 17 percent said they intend to do.

17% plan to use apps??? What the hell else are they going to do? Am I missing something here?
post #70 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

17% plan to use apps??? What the hell else are they going to do? Am I missing something here?

The other 87% use it as picture frame.
post #71 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

*clip* CGC

All very interesting yet none of it changes the fact that the iPad is a big iPod touch.

That's not a bad thing.

It's actually good.

The fact Apple took a platform designed for touch and mobility and scaled it up rather than taking a platform designed for the desktop and kb/mouse and scaling it down is the main reason the iPad has been able to succeed as a tablet where previous attempts did not.
post #72 of 96
... based on past track records, Apple must have sold one and a half million of these things on opening weekend!!
post #73 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerborges View Post

... based on past track records, Apple must have sold one and a half million of these things on opening weekend!!

So analysts have just slightly underestimated.
post #74 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

All very interesting yet none of it changes the fact that the iPad is a big iPod touch.
.

So he has written, so it shall be!

All hail Pharoah Firefly.

CGC
post #75 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

So he has written, so it shall be!

I'm glad to see you finally came around.
post #76 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ouch. My head aches, given that an AI headline yesterday said just about the opposite!

(I agree with this one, though).

Well look at the survey. There are a few million iPad 1 models in the US and they talked to less than 300 folks at a single geographic location. So very not statistically sound.

My guess is that outside of schools and companies, the split of up graders to new buyers is probably about 50/50 in terms of intent but probably more like 75/25 upgraders high on standing in line right now. The first buyers are likely more patient and willingly to order online or hold off for a week or two. After all, they waited this long.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #77 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ouch. My head aches, given that an AI headline yesterday said just about the opposite!

(I agree with this one, though).

Even in "world class reporting media" it is not uncommon to find opposing views on any particular subject. Is there a problem with that? For the record, I also agree with this "version".
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #78 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

17% plan to use apps??? What the hell else are they going to do? Am I missing something here?

The "playing games" part. It's helpful to read, and understand, the whole story.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #79 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Yes, iPad v1 was successful, but people knew that Apple was holding back and waiting for v2.

I think your overly sophomoric explanation misses the point that the iPad 1 was widely derided as being a "big iPod touch" and other such slights, with total estimated sales for the vast majority of predictions under 5 million units.

They sold 15 million eventually.

I think the big success of the iPad 2 was due to people seeing them and envisioning themselves using one. This probably happened well into the life of the first iPad and quite a few people understand things like normal product cycles and decided to wait for the second version.

While I have no doubt there are people that think like you, if they are more than 5% of the iPad 2 buyers I would be shocked.
post #80 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

That is what I want to know.
What percentage of those buying have no intention of even opening the box?

Huh? We aren't talking about the Wii here - Apple may have short term shortages, but they typically resolve themselves pretty quickly.

I love the not so subtle implication that a significant portion of buyers didn't buy it to use it but resell it.

Is it really that hard to believe that Apple can make a product that people want because it's more than just "cool" or "well marketed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple attracts 70% new buyers with iPad 2 launch - survey