or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple attracts 70% new buyers with iPad 2 launch - survey

Apple attracts 70% new buyers with iPad 2 launch - survey - Page 3

post #81 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

But there is a fine line between making a tool simple *to use* and making a simple tool. You go far enough down the second path and you are manufacturing toys.

I think people like you with your narrow-mided intolerance for anything that is a computing device that falls outside of your myopic world view are the real danger.

If the iPad doesn't work for you, great. But why would you try to deny someone like my father from having the choice to use a computing model that, for the first time ever, works for him?

What hubris - just because it's a toy to you doesn't mean that it's not a significant advancement for others.
post #82 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its a good lesson to learn that getting some right means balancing what you include with what you exclude, not simply adding everything that looks great on a spec sheet.

You can repeat that all you want, but some people simply aren't going to get it because they don't want to.

It's still fun to repeat it to them
post #83 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It almost seems like blasphemy to be covering up that slim and sleek looking product and hiding it inside of a case.

Yup - that's why I love my Zaggmate since it provides protection, a BT keyboard, and pretty much retains the iPads thin form factor.

As for protecting the back - from what? It's freaking aluminum? Worried about it scratching? Why?!? It's a portable device - it should be used! It's not a Star Wars action figure or comic book that should never be taken out of the packaging. I never got this with the iPhone either - to me the best feature of the phone is it's extreme sleekness that lets me slip it in to my pocket without having to have a hip holster or some other carrier. So you get a few scuffs on it - I can think of far more important things to get wound up about. Heck, I just noticed mine has a noticeable dent on it - oh well, it still works just fine
post #84 of 96
Unfortunately, some of these new "customers" are selling their iPad 2s on eBay for profit--
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #85 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yup - that's why I love my Zaggmate since it provides protection, a BT keyboard, and pretty much retains the iPads thin form factor.

As for protecting the back - from what? It's freaking aluminum? Worried about it scratching? Why?!? It's a portable device - it should be used! It's not a Star Wars action figure or comic book that should never be taken out of the packaging. I never got this with the iPhone either - to me the best feature of the phone is it's extreme sleekness that lets me slip it in to my pocket without having to have a hip holster or some other carrier. So you get a few scuffs on it - I can think of far more important things to get wound up about. Heck, I just noticed mine has a noticeable dent on it - oh well, it still works just fine

I guess I understand people wanting to resell it in pristine condition in a year or two, but I have no interest in that at the expense of the babying it. I do use a Bumper on my iPhone 4 to protect from drops which I seem to do often.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #86 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So it's pretentious to love computers, and see their potential?

That's the real irony. These are computers. They are a different style of computing. Instead of heralding it as the significant and new choice that it is, you are branding it as "evil" because it doesn't fit your myopic vision

There is nothing heroic or remarkable in your complaint. If anything if you were able to get your way, you would be restricting true choice and innovation - to the contrary of your supposed thesis.
post #87 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Unfortunately, some of these new "customers" are selling their iPad 2s on eBay for profit--

I almost bought two to do just that, but I figured my personal gain of a few dollars isnt worth taking it away from someone who is waiting in line. There might be some personal growth going on.
post #88 of 96
Quote:

I guess I understand people wanting to resell it in pristine condition in a year or two

I don't get this either. I bought it for me. If I happen to sell it later, then great - but I can't believe the number of people who now are not only slaves to their devices, but to their devices future owners

Crazy, I tell you...
post #89 of 96
Quote:

I don't get this either. I bought it for me. If I happen to sell it later, then great - but I can't believe the number of people who now are not only slaves to their devices, but to their devices future owners

Crazy, I tell you...

I sent mine to family member who is going on a trip later this week. I had never activated the AT&T 3G before (only bought WiFi for my iPad 2) but activated it for a month to send her so she can travel with it and always have internet. On top of that, I added my MobileMe creditinals to it and have been tracking it with Find My iPad. Fun way to track a package.
post #90 of 96
Quote:

I sent mine to family member who is going on a trip later this week. I had never activated the AT&T 3G before (only bought WiFi for my iPad 2) but activated it for a month to send her so she can travel with it and always have internet. On top of that, I added my MobileMe creditinals to it and have been tracking it with Find My iPad. Fun way to track a package.

Yes, but I hardly think she would care if it had some scuffs on the back.

And if she did, that would be a separate issue in my mind
post #91 of 96
Quote:

Yes, but I hardly think she would care if it had some scuffs on the back.

And if she did, that would be a separate issue in my mind

I dont think it does since It was the original iPad case most of the time since I used it as the stand. So glad they found a great resolution than that case.
post #92 of 96
Quote:

I almost bought two to do just that, but I figured my personal gain of a few dollars isnt worth taking it away from someone who is waiting in line. There might be some personal growth going on.

Too bad there aren't more people like you.

\
post #93 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

All very interesting yet none of it changes the fact that the iPad is a big iPod touch.

As someone on these boards said so brilliantly a few days ago (as best I remember):

"Saying an iPad is just a big iPod touch is like saying that a swimming pool is just a big bath".

A perfect riposte.
post #94 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

As someone on these boards said so brilliantly a few days ago (as best I remember):

"Saying an iPad is just a big iPod touch is like saying that a swimming pool is just a big bath".

A perfect riposte.

No it isn't.

Analogies are great when they are at least partially accurate and one is trying to explain abstract concepts.

That analogy isn't accurate and the concept isn't abstract, so all it does it confuse the issue.

If you wanted to be accurate you could stick with "saying an iPad is just a big iPod touch is like saying that a 150 foot swimming pool is just a big 50 foot swimming pool" but it still doesn't help explain the concept.
post #95 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

No it isn't. ... If you wanted to be accurate you could stick with "saying an iPad is just a big iPod touch is like saying that a 150 foot swimming pool is just a big 50 foot swimming pool" but it still doesn't help explain the concept.

Oh yes it is! You can swim in both 50' and 150' foot swimming pools!

The difference between an iPod touch and an iPad is that an iPad open possibilities (like swimming) that are not possible on an iPod touch (where swimming is never going to happen).

Garageband is an obvious app that springs to mind - it would feel stupidly cramped on an iPod touch. It's also why the Knots app on the iPad is whole load more fun that the same thing on an iPod touch. It's clear to anybody who has actually tried it, that to try and make use of all 10 fingers on the screen at once - which multitouch actually supports - is just physically possible though quite pointless on an iPod touch whereas it's easy and useful on an iPad.
post #96 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

The difference between an iPod touch and an iPad is that an iPad open possibilities (like swimming) that are not possible on an iPod touch (where swimming is never going to happen).

You say that... but then you give two examples of applications that are possible on an iPod Touch but much nicer to use on the iPad because it has more screen real estate.

First, think of some examples of iPad applications that simply wouldn't be possible on an iPod touch.

Second, explain how that example ties in to the analogy of two totally separate devices with totally separate functions and only the most superficial of similarities.

Finally, explain how the iPad differs to an iPod Touch if Apple were to expand the screen size of the iPod Touch to 10" and customize the UI to fit (i.e. a big iPod Touch).

Until then the analogy sucks.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple attracts 70% new buyers with iPad 2 launch - survey