or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Japan and the Japanese People

Japan and the Japanese People

post #1 of 249
Please join in and share something you feel you can.

My thoughts are with the Japanese people and I plan to search out means to donate to those impacted and hurting. I wish I could be there to help. I wish I had ships full of clothing, blankets, food, water, toilet paper, medical services, councilors and on and on.

I feel completely unable to help in a meaningful way and it hurts my heart.

Peace and solidarity from the United States.

I am sorry for your pain, suffering and loss..

Dale.
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

My thoughts are with the Japanese people and I plan to search out means to donate to those impacted and hurting. I wish I could be there to help. I wish I had ships full of clothing, blankets, food, water, toilet paper, medical services, councilors and on and on.

Dale.

I also have found myself thinking about and wishing for a way to help those in Japan. I fear that since they are a first world nation that they may not get the same level of support or outpouring that others in much the same circumstances might otherwise get. It has been a great perspective to hear from people like Bergermeister what things he is seeing and hearing over there. I pray for protection for the citizens over there. They are likely in for many more quakes and such before it gets much better.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #3 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I pray for protection for the citizens over there.

Do you literally mean this? Like you are literally asking your god to watch over them? Or is this your way of saying you'll think about the Japanese people and hope things turn out OK for those still in harm's way?

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #4 of 249
Hey guys. I'll post here from time to time.

As I wrote in another thread, this is turning into a long day here.

---

First up, now the #2 reactor is having trouble and will likely follow the #1 and #3 trend and explode within a day. With luck, all the containment vessels will stay intact. Some radiation reached the USS Ronald Reagan and the deck crew received one month's worth of radiation in an hour. OVer 400 people near the reactors have yet to be evacuated. So far, some 160 have been treated and thousands checked, possibly simply to relieve fears. The media is from yesterday really giving a crash course in nuclear plant workings and people are beginning to understand, yet remain fearful.

Next, there have been several very strong aftershocks and possibly even separate earthquakes up into the 5+ range today. Several tsunami alarms went out and news video showed rescue crews scrambling to evacuate the areas they were working in. One showed ten guys piling into the back of an open truck and rushing off to higher ground, likely just to return an hour later to continue searching. They have been real heros here. The country has mobilized 100 thousand SDF troops; some though are far away and will be ferried in on US navy ships over the next couple of days.

TV has been showing scenes all day of rescues, searches and scenes from evacuation points. The support infrastructure is really beginning to take shape today and large numbers of people now have a place to stay, blankets and communication. The self defense forces (SDF) and even ordinary citizens have set up areas for helicopters to land to supply evacuees and to help the wounded.

The death toll keeps rising and the large number of missing persons form one town (over 10,000) has not been included in the official missing list. Fears are for the worst.

Third, the blackouts are causing a great fuss for people in Tokyo and northwards. The current government (they change frequently here) is not full of deep thinkers nor good communicators and even before the quake there were plenty of tensions around; the blackout plan was announced suddenly last evening, to much surprise. the announcement followed a day where the media was getting increasingly frustrated with the limited bits of info being released at long intervals regarding the nuclear plant. (Today the government is doing a better job of communicating) The proposed blackouts will disrupt transportation for millions, not to mention other troubles. The mayor of Tokyo got into an argument with a minister today; he said he will pass a law to require all neon lights to be turned off to save electricity.

Several power plants are currently shut down and there are energy shortages. TV showed he California rolling blackouts form a few years back. Northern Japan is based on 50Hz, southern Japan on 60Hz, so the south cannot help out, thus the shortages. People have been told not to go to work or school.. This is still being worked out.

Fourth, the Japanese are very grateful for the international assistance pouring in. Rescue teams from several countries (including the US, China, Korea and others) started searches today. TV has shown each team arriving at the airport. People around TVs watching the arrivals have expressed, "Yoroshiku onegaisimasu". People who know I am an American expressed their thanks for the American support, especially for the aircraft carriers. The area is completely destroyed and road access is extremely difficult, but improving. Helicopters are the best way for getting aid in and evacuees out. With all the debris, landing is still quite dangerous and the airports in the area are a mess. The US carriers will serve as refueling points for SDF choppers and are also conducting their own operations. One person said that she hopes the USS Ronald Reagan can stay for much longer than the two weeks already promised. I am including the USS Essex in the term "carrier" for this though I know it is a different class.

Many people see this as an opportunity for the world come together. Amongst many others, rescue teams have come from China and Korea and now Russia says they are sending a team. Japan has had troubles recently over island authority with China and Russia and has a long and not bright history with China and Korea. Japan's rescue team was actually in New Zealand following their earthquake a couple weeks back. The current Japanese government also caused lots of friction with the US over bases in Okinawa so this might be a chance to relieve some of that tension. The US navy is working in support of the Japanese SDF.

Down near where I live, a volcano erupted yesterday. The shockwave actually woke me from a nap many mile away. In the nearby area, windows were broken and tons of ash (the plume shot up 4000 meters) was dumped. Volcanic ash is a horrible entity that gets into everything including eyes, machines, everything and is very harsh and covers farms. Many farmers have lost their crops which have been buried in the past few eruptions since January. There are volcanoes all over the country and are a not uncommon problem. Air travel has to be re-routed around the ash clouds or planes can be brought down. There is an airport about 25 kilometers from the volcano. This is reality for us.

That's all for now.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #5 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Do you literally mean this? Like you are literally asking your god to watch over them? Or is this your way of saying you'll think about the Japanese people and hope things turn out OK for those still in harm's way?

Same thing surely....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #6 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Same thing surely....

I would disagree with that. Hoping for the best and literally asking a supernatural being to offer some sort of protection are quite different beasts.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #7 of 249
Flash news now: #2 reactor water level has dropped to zero. There is no water cooling the core. The water level was dropping abut 1m per hour; 4m high tank = 4 hours. They are putting in more water but it seems to be leaking out.

Watched two channels and they are giving slightly different explanations.

Will get back here soon if there is an update/clarification.

post #8 of 249
Quote:

I would disagree with that. Hoping for the best and literally asking a supernatural being to offer some sort of protection are quite different beasts.

I mean the motivation is the same - wishing the best within your own personal framework.

I think we all do in this situation, wish the best outcome for the people of Japan because whatever our beliefs or none, these are the times we realize our common humanity.

We're all in the same boat trying to make sense of it - the 'unbelievers' aren't atheists or someone on the other side of your belief-system, they are people who cannot be moved by situations like the plight of the Japanese people today.

And no-one here is like that afaik.

Just my opinion anyway...
post #9 of 249
TEPCO, the operator of the reactor just had a press conference.

The water level in #2 decreased and they have now put water back in. No info on why the level dropped or temperatures or anything.

News is now reporting that pressure is being released at #2 through an open vent.

Concern is high that #2 will suffer an explosion, too.

post #10 of 249
Quote:

Dale.

You quote the scriptures may the Lord give you peace. What hypocrisy What peace what GOD has done to these people by destroying lives and homes.This is complete crap what you quote!
post #11 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

You quote the scriptures <!-- SNIP -->(

Ok, out of respect I will not use my proper spelling or genuine Scots accent - nor is it necessary to address the content of your post which can be done by you starting another thread about it if you feel the burning need.

I will say however that even though I am very far removed from Fellows' beliefs I applaud his post (and most of his others) and think your comments are inappropriate.

Maybe deleting them would be a great way of expressing support for the people in Japan, the challenges they face and the hell they are going through.
post #12 of 249
@ Bergermeister- Have you got or can you get iodine pills?

Some info-

"But one of the most dangerous materials that could come out of the reactor is iodine-131. Iodine has a relatively short half-life of about a week, but it can do a lot of damage in that time. It will most likely escape in gas form, which makes it easy to pick up, and the body rapidly funnels it to the thyroid, where it can accumulate and cause cancer in a relatively short amount of time.

The good news is that, unlike the other three radioactive materials, there is a simple pill that will protect your thyroid from radioactive iodine. If a person takes a potassium-iodide pill (or liquid solution) before exposure occurs, the iodine in that pill will flood the body and, importantly, the thyroid. Once this occurs, even though your body will absorb radioactive iodine, it won’t be able to collect in the thyroid – the inert iodine blocks the bad stuff. Instead, the powerful carcinogen will be excreted from your system."

Doses to combat radiation in emergencies-

"potassium iodine (KI)-

over 12 yrs old- 130mg

3-12 yrs old- 65mg

1-36 months old- 32 mg

< 1 month old- 16 mg"
~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_iodide

"The Polish experience, cited above in section 2.3, showed the risk of severe side effects from single doses of stable iodine to be minimal (less than 1 in 10 million in children and less than 1 in a million in adults). However, for repeated doses, there is no direct human experience that can be used for reliable numerical estimation of side effects."
~ http://www.who.int/ionizing_radiatio...axis_guide.pdf
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #13 of 249
Quote:

Ok, out of respect I will not use my proper spelling or genuine Scots accent - nor is it necessary to address the content of your post which can be done by you starting another thread about it if you feel the burning need.

I will say however that even though I am very far removed from Fellows' beliefs I applaud his post (and most of his others) and think your comments are inappropriate.

Maybe deleting them would be a great way of expressing support for the people in Japan, the challenges they face and the hell they are going through.

Fellowship's post/message is of empathy. There is no pushing of any belief system.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #14 of 249
Quote:

I have actively prayed for the people in Japan with regard to the Tsunami and the possible reactor overloads that they be spared any further disaster in this situation. So, yes, Literally. I also do the second part during the day and hope that things turn out ok for those in harms way. Surely you have no issue with that?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #15 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Fellowship's post/message is of empathy. There is no pushing of any belief system.

You're confusing me with the poster I replied to.
post #16 of 249
Quote:

I have actively prayed for the people in Japan with regard to the Tsunami and the possible reactor overloads that they be spared any further disaster in this situation. So, yes, Literally. I also do the second part during the day and hope that things turn out ok for those in harms way. Surely you have no issue with that?

It's a noble and, imo, human reaction - personally I am glad there are people like you doing that.
post #17 of 249
Quote:

It's a noble and, imo, human reaction - personally I am glad there are people like you doing that.

I'll second that, but I wish they'd stop pushing for more nuclear power stations to be built at the same. You can't have your cake and eat it.
post #18 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I'll second that, but I wish they'd stop pushing for more nuclear power stations to be built at the same. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Isn't that what cake is for, to be eaten? Or is it just to be looked at?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #19 of 249
Quote:

Isn't that what cake is for, to be eaten? Or is it just to be looked at?

Ask the Japanese. They probably wish right now that they'd never heard of GE.
post #20 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Ask the Japanese. They probably wish right now that they'd never heard of GE.

I doubt that, they probably wish they had never experienced an earthquake of the magnitude they just got rocked by. The Tsunami wasn't so hot either.

Maybe they simply wish they did not live on an island by an ocean during said earthquake? Any other ridiculous statements about what people wish that we can make here? \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #21 of 249
Good morning.

First up the nuclear plant had another explosion this morning at reactor #2. Plant staff has been evacuated. Information is limited right now, but it is not looking good. This is really interfering with aid efforts, IMO. Lots of media attention, lots of fear, pilots being treated for exposure... I hope they can get the situation under control but it doesn't look like things will improve for a while and may indeed get worse. Fuel rods were exposed to air, which increases the chance of melting.

The news this morning is primarily about the nuclear issue. Secondary is the rolling blackouts; continual announcements of blackout schedules.

Second, emergency supplies are not reaching people in need in sufficient quantities. The media is visiting evacuation sites and presenting lists of needs from each location, but tremendous air time is being devoted to the nuclear crisis and the blackouts affecting millions. Hopefully the things will start moving today. Yet, the people are being very patient as I think they are aware that this was a disaster of major proportions, and that is the Japanese way.

Watching the news last night and this morning I felt strongly that there is a shortage of helicopters. No data yet on how many US choppers are currently here or on the way. I know the USS Reagan was prepped for war games then diverted here, so she likely only has a normal number of choppers. The USS Essex (basically a helicopter carrier)is heading this way but is still a day or two away. Sadly, with the nuclear situation, the USS Reagan had to move away from the location it had deemed it could help best from.

The Sendai airport, which you may have seen on the news getting covered by the tsunami, has been cleared sufficiently from late yesterday to allow helicopters to land. Buses and trucks can access the airport, so that will likely really start helping today.

post #22 of 249
Things are getting complicated at the reactors.

An American crew helped extinguish a fire at reactor #4. People around me again are expressing their gratitude for the assistance Japan is receiving, especially from the US.

post #23 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Things are getting complicated at the reactors.

An American crew helped extinguish a fire at reactor #4. People around me again are expressing their gratitude for the assistance Japan is receiving, especially from the US.

While I wish they did not need our help, I am proud to hear that they are. Some idiots around here (not on these forums, around where i live) need their backsides handed to them with some comments I have heard.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #24 of 249
Quote:

Actually I do kinda take issue with the literal praying. Your omnipotent god just let a 9.0 earthquake devastate a region and you have the hubris to ask that cold blooded killer to spare a few lives after the fact?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #25 of 249
Quote:

Actually I do kinda take issue with the literal praying. Your omnipotent god just let a 9.0 earthquake devastate a region and you have the hubris to ask that cold blooded killer to spare a few lives after the fact?

Sounds like you need to speak with Him not me.

I cannot control anything that goes on in the world around me. But I can pray for those who suffer, that their suffering will not be prolonged. I can ask that their pain be lessened. I can intercede on their behalf that they be blessed in the midst of their tragedy in some way.

I would take issue with a person that did not ask for that.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #26 of 249
You are praying to the same omnipotent god who could have just not had the disaster happen in the first place. Seems rather hypocritical. And sounds like your god either isn't omnipotent or is a huge fucking asshole. (Or, you know, doesn't exist.)

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #27 of 249
Quote:

sounds like your god either isn't omnipotent or is a huge fucking asshole. (Or, you know, doesn't exist.)

Tsk.....really BR, I do think you are intelligent enough to think of more options than those - it's only one more option than a Fundie can conceive of.

Even the Jesuits can do better - this is very poor....
post #28 of 249
A hospital in my city sent an emergency team up the day after the disaster. They returned last night almost in shock, nurses and a doctor. Though they had hoped to help the injured, they mostly saw the dead.

Our city sent up water trucks yesterday and a large supply set today. Of course, the police and fire fighters are pitching being rotated up. A large contingent of both departed today.

post #29 of 249
Morning TV shows spent a lot of time discussing the nuclear plants. As these programs are primarily aimed at housewives and other stay-at-homes, great efforts were made to make the material comprehensible. The one I watched in its entirety was well done, just before the bad news that came out today.

post #30 of 249
Quote:

My comments Sir tell the truth.I am not condoning his post but what is religion Sir? Money that is what it is all about.I was a Born Again Christian for over 3 years and fell for this malarkey all the way.I went back to my own faith.I pity the Japanese people and feel sorry for them.Hopefully they will recover as these people are proud and not looking for sympathy at all.
post #31 of 249
Right now there is a big earthquake just south of Tokyo... long... high 6.

10.28 pm

Just before it there was a 3 or 4 further north.

post #32 of 249
No concern for tsunami. No reports yet of damage. --edit: a highway has been closed due to the quake.

But, this situation is truly ongoing. I was watching NHK live when the studio started to shake. The announcer was honestly scared.

---

450,000 people are in shelters. Quite a few shelters still have not received supplies. That said, the authorities are not aware yet of all of the places people have found to evacuate to. There was just a report of a group at a campground that had someone go to another shelter to get a message out.

post #33 of 249
Scenes on TV earlier of people wandering what used to be streets, looking for familiar areas or items, and calling out the names of missing family members. It was heartbreaking.

One yesterday was a girl no older than 10 calling, Mother! Mother!

It's going to be a long night again.

post #34 of 249
Quote:

You are praying to the same omnipotent god who could have just not had the disaster happen in the first place. Seems rather hypocritical. And sounds like your god either isn't omnipotent or is a huge fucking asshole. (Or, you know, doesn't exist.)

Thank you BR, I will pass along your message. Or you can tell him yourself.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #35 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

No concern for tsunami. No reports yet of damage. --edit: a highway has been closed due to the quake.

But, this situation is truly ongoing. I was watching NHK live when the studio started to shake. The announcer was honestly scared.

---

450,000 people are in shelters. Quite a few shelters still have not received supplies. That said, the authorities are not aware yet of all of the places people have found to evacuate to. There was just a report of a group at a campground that had someone go to another shelter to get a message out.

How many in Japan have survival skills outside of a city? How bad can this get? Sounds like more than just the police and fire need to get mobilized.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #36 of 249
I just wanted to thank Bergermeister for the insight shared with us here. You do a world class job of giving us your perspective as you have seen and gathered. Thanks!

During this difficult time it is my hope that we can all pull together and work to help our fellow neighbors to heal and rebuild their lives.

Solidarity with the Japanese people.

Fellows

post #37 of 249
Quote:

How many in Japan have survival skills outside of a city? How bad can this get? Sounds like more than just the police and fire need to get mobilized.

Last I read, Japan had mobilized half their active duty military to help.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #38 of 249
2:20am and I have work in the morning but I'll say a word. (started at 2:20 but have been slipping over to watch TV)

The #5 and #6 reactors at the nuclear power plant, which were shut down when the tsunami hit, are now also showing rising temperatures. They are losing water. This is being announced right now, 2:55am.

The max exposure rate for the workers at the plant has been raised so they can continue work. They have been asked to use a helicopter to put water in a hole that has opened on reactor #4 building. The explanation is it is still safe for them, but I wonder. They may have to sacrifice themselves to save countless others.

150 people seem to be working at the plant.

---

There was just an aftershock to the quake near Tokyo, but it was a bit small (3.0 which usually just shakes things here). The first quake halted trains, caused power lines to fall and some other damage.

And another aftershock further north.

---

Some Google Maps links to copy and paste then search:

The nuclear plant:
福島第一原子力発電所

It will focus on the plant. Change to Terrain mode and move west; you'll very soon see low mountains. Japan has roughly the land space of California. Most of Japan is covered by mountains: roughly 75% and it's hard to build in them. So, people are crowded in the remaining space, all 127 million of them. That space is often along the shores like this and up river valleys. Zoom out and scroll around.

The US rescue squads are here:
Ofunato, Iwate Prefecture, Japan

Again, zoom out a little and change to Terrain and back. You can see the coast and all the coves and valleys and rivers and mountains. People live all around places like this.

If you can, fly around in Google Earth; Japan is a very interesting place.

post #39 of 249
Quote:

I just wanted to thank Bergermeister for the insight shared with us here. You do a world class job of giving us your perspective as you have seen and gathered. Thanks!

During this difficult time it is my hope that we can all pull together and work to help our fellow neighbors to heal and rebuild their lives.

Solidarity with the Japanese people.

Fellows

I do what I can here. I just wish I could go up north to lend a hand. There are so many people in need of help it is incredible.

post #40 of 249
The workers had to leave the plant a little while ago.

Announcement going on now... levels down. Workers back in.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Japan and the Japanese People