or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Japan and the Japanese People

Japan and the Japanese People - Page 4

post #121 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

All in all it was a good day here today, but the road is still rough.

Two rescues, and scenes of steadily improving conditions at evac centers. One center finally got a clothes washer, and a mobile ramen shop visited another.

There also seems to be progress at the nuclear plant. Another spraying operation is underway now and will finish in about two hours...this time it is #4 reactor.

---

Fixed typos.

This reminds me of the history of instant ramen noodles which were invented in post WWII Japan when food shortages necessitated a fast good easy meal that would keep and could be transported easily.
post #122 of 249
Earthquakes continue. Hav a TV on in the other room and it seems like every few minutes the quake alert goes off and here have been several urgent alerts (before the quake when sizable).

The meteorological agency is planning to improve its tsunami warning system as it had originally under-estimated the size of the wave last month.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #123 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Earthquakes continue. Hav a TV on in the other room and it seems like every few minutes the quake alert goes off and here have been several urgent alerts (before the quake when sizable).

The meteorological agency is planning to improve its tsunami warning system as it had originally under-estimated the size of the wave last month.

I am questioning this is the Japanese Government holding back some vital information that they don not want to release to their people? Everything there seems to be a secret.
post #124 of 249
Well, the US media that I have seen has all but forgotten that there was a tsunami and that over 14,000 people died, while many thousands of others lost their homes and livelihoods. The Daichi nuclear incident all but assured that. Travel to Japan is down sharply; even many communities well away from the nuclear plant have seen a dramatic drop in tourists, threatening the local economies. Went through one of these areas this morning; it was a ghost town. Is this all due to the radiation?

post #125 of 249
It really is a shame that we're too busy patting ourselves on the back for killing an unarmed man in front of his children and fighting over a birth certificate to notice that Japan is still hurting.

I was absolutely stunned at the footage I saw of the quakes and that wall of water sweeping homes, cars, and people away.

A good friend of mine lived in Japan for 2 years in the Sendai area. He lost many friends. Places he lived and visited have been literally wiped off the map. It's just heartbreaking to witness.

I have given what I can in the way of financial aid. My continued thoughts and prayers are with all those who have been affected by this catastrophe and its aftermath.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #126 of 249
Germany shut down 7 of it's 17 nuke plants after Fukishima. They have just announced they are keeping those 7 closed and decomissioning all the others too by 2022-

"BERLIN — The German government agreed on Monday morning to phase out nuclear power by 2022 in a move that could have far reaching consequences for Europe’s largest economy. “Its definite. The latest end of the last three nuclear plants is 2022,”‘ Environment Minister Norbert Röttgen said after marathon talks held at the chancellery."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/wo...y.html?_r=1&hp
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #127 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

This reminds me of the history of instant ramen noodles which were invented in post WWII Japan when food shortages necessitated a fast good easy meal that would keep and could be transported easily.

Japanese people are strong people mentally and physically and will come back stronger than ever.Japan's economy will flourish again.
post #128 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Japanese people are strong people mentally and physically and will come back stronger than ever.Japan's economy will flourish again.

You're like my shadow now, right?
post #129 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Germany shut down 7 of it's 17 nuke plants after Fukishima. They have just announced they are keeping those 7 closed and decomissioning all the others too by 2022-

"BERLIN The German government agreed on Monday morning to phase out nuclear power by 2022 in a move that could have far reaching consequences for Europes largest economy. Its definite. The latest end of the last three nuclear plants is 2022, Environment Minister Norbert Röttgen said after marathon talks held at the chancellery."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/wo...y.html?_r=1&hp

I know you are excited about this, but I hope this does not have a serious negative impact on the Germans. That is a lot of power to have to replace in some other way.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #130 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I know you are excited about this, but I hope this does not have a serious negative impact on the Germans. That is a lot of power to have to replace in some other way.

It will be easy. They will use Green Energy and other eco-buzz word compliant technology.
post #131 of 249
http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php...w?art_id=10526

The Germans are idiots, and they are building 26 new coal power plants, which produce more radioactive waste.

http://motorcitytimes.com/mct/2010/0...ts-in-germany/
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #132 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php...w?art_id=10526

The Germans are idiots, and they are building 26 new coal power plants, which produce more radioactive waste.

http://motorcitytimes.com/mct/2010/0...ts-in-germany/

Not sure how Hands missed that aspect of it. \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #133 of 249
Quote:

Not sure how Hands missed that aspect of it. \

Germany is closing some of the more polluting coal power stations and replacing them with aproximately 20% cleaner one's. However many of the new coal plants plans have already been abandoned.

"Merkel's administration plans to shut down the nuclear reactors — which in recent years reliably provided up to a quarter of Germany's huge needs as baseload electricity — by 2022 at the latest. It wants to double the share of renewable energy to 35 percent of consumption in 2020, 50 percent in 2030, 65 percent in 2040, and more than 80 percent in 2050. At the same time, the chancellor vows to cut CO2 emissions (compared to 1990 levels) by 40 percent in 2020, by 55 percent in 2030, and by more than 80 percent in 2050.

The new course is a huge challenge in terms of cost and feasibility. Of the current 82 gigawatts of peak demand, about half comes from coal, 23 percent from nuclear, 10 percent from natural gas, and 17 percent from renewables. That means three quarters of Germany's electricity sources will have to be replaced by green technology within just a few decades, if the nuclear phase-out and the CO2 goals are to be accomplished."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...l-green-energy
post #134 of 249
Everything I've read tells me that the next-generation of nuclear plants cannot meltdown, will not make weapons-grade material, and will only leave a small fraction of the by-product waste that modern plants do.

If that's true, the German decision to abandon nuclear technology seems horribly short-sighted.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #135 of 249
Quote:

Germany is closing some of the more polluting coal power stations and replacing them with aproximately 20% cleaner one's. However many of the new coal plants plans have already been abandoned.

"Merkel's administration plans to shut down the nuclear reactors which in recent years reliably provided up to a quarter of Germany's huge needs as baseload electricity by 2022 at the latest. It wants to double the share of renewable energy to 35 percent of consumption in 2020, 50 percent in 2030, 65 percent in 2040, and more than 80 percent in 2050. At the same time, the chancellor vows to cut CO2 emissions (compared to 1990 levels) by 40 percent in 2020, by 55 percent in 2030, and by more than 80 percent in 2050.

The new course is a huge challenge in terms of cost and feasibility. Of the current 82 gigawatts of peak demand, about half comes from coal, 23 percent from nuclear, 10 percent from natural gas, and 17 percent from renewables. That means three quarters of Germany's electricity sources will have to be replaced by green technology within just a few decades, if the nuclear phase-out and the CO2 goals are to be accomplished."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...l-green-energy

There is a lot of promises for future tech in there. Some wants and some wishing. Hope the reality matches the promises. We all know politicians never overpromise on the important stuff. Right?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #136 of 249
Quote:

You're like my shadow now, right?

I am no ones shadow. Sometimes you are right and other times no.
post #137 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Everything I've read tells me that the next-generation of nuclear plants cannot meltdown, will not make weapons-grade material, and will only leave a small fraction of the by-product waste that modern plants do.

If that's true, the German decision to abandon nuclear technology seems horribly short-sighted.

If we use the ones that can't generate weapons grade material, then we will run out of uranium in a couple decades instead of a couple thousand years. We need breeder reactors and lithium reactors, there really isn't any other viable alternative. Even if you take all the radioactive waste and ash out of coal excretions from coal plants, you still generate a lot of CO2.

The cleanest coal plant still dumps a ton more radiation in the oceans than an average nuclear plant. Not that that particular metric matters that much - it would take thousands of years to notice a difference in the oceans, but it seems to matter to the greenies when you dump waste in the ocean. If the environmental movement did a little more brain level thinking instead of gut level thinking, they would be pro-breeder reactor.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #138 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I am no ones shadow. Sometimes you are right and other times no.

Well then don't quote my post when you are not replying to me. It's basic forum etiquette.
post #139 of 249
Italien referendum has 90% against any new nuclear plants-

"The anti-nuclear movement won a crushing victory in Italy on Monday when well over 90% of voters rejected Silvio Berlusconi's plans for a return to nuclear power generation.

The result represented an overwhelming setback for the prime minister, who had tried to thwart the outcome by discouraging Italians from taking part. The referendum needed a turnout of at least 50% to be binding. Interior ministry figures projections indicated that more than 57% of the electorate had taken part.

Italy abandoned its nuclear programme following a similar referendum in 1987. The government of the day opted to phase out all the country's existing plants. The last one shut down in 1990. Berlusconi had planned to generate a quarter of Italy's electricity with French-built nuclear plants. Construction of the first was due to start between 2013 and 2015."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...-nuclear-power

This will mean more investment going into renewables too, which is exactly what they need.
post #140 of 249
It more likely means coal is king.
Nobody is successfully powering a whole country on wind and solar, and that isn't going to change much in the short to medium term.
post #141 of 249
How many golden eagles have been killed by a nuke plant?

Wind power turbines in Altamont Pass threaten protected birds
post #142 of 249
Quote:

How many golden eagles have been killed by a nuke plant?

Wind power turbines in Altamont Pass threaten protected birds

The effects in Japan on wildlife will be severe, as they've been in and around Chernoble, as the first study proves.

But yes it's not good that turbines are hurting golden eagles. Overall over a billion birds are killed in the US a year from hitting buildings. Some places have enacted voluntary codes for architects to follow to reduce that number and when these protective measures are taken, which apply to mostly under 50 feet or so, because that's where most of the fatalities occur, they've saved the lives of countless birds.

Wind turbines are now often limited to the large ones only where the blades are higher up and that drastically reduces the number of deaths. There's also radar being installed so that if there's a flock of migrating birds the windmills will automatically switch off until they've passed. I can't help wonder what other measures could be taken. Any ideas? I wonder if some kind of netting could work.

There's a table of estimated birds deaths I saw and I'll link to that when I find it again.

The golden eagles habitat has changed and that with the fact they were once heavily hunted has got us to this point.

Until I find the table

Wind turbines about 70,000 bird deaths

Road deaths estimates range from o er 10 million to over 370 million.

Oil pits are somewhere much higher than turbines but I don't have the numbers yet.
post #143 of 249
If you build new, safe nuclear power plants, you don't get the problems that happened in Russia and Japan. Stop the nuclear fearmongering.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #144 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

If you build new, safe nuclear power plants, you don't get the problems that happened in Russia and Japan. Stop the nuclear fearmongering.

If that really becomes reality then nuclear will get back on the table, in the mean time money will be put into renewables which also creates far more jobs and will make electricity cheaper too-

"Last week, Germanys economic development agency announced similarly big news: There are now more than 100,000 workers employed in the German solar PV industry alone. Why is that so significant? The U.S. figures take into account solar jobs in PV, solar hot water and concentrating solar power; Germany is only factoring in solar PV.
And as a reader over at Clean Technica observed: The US has about 312 million people while Germany has 82 million, about 25% as many people.*That makes the German solar industry more than four times as large an employer than US steel based on country size.
~ http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...teel-industry/
post #145 of 249
Quote:

The Japanese people are strong mentally and physically and are making a comeback slowly but surely.There is also money in this country not like a 3rd world country where the comeback is weak financially and mentally.
post #146 of 249
Another thing BR.

A recent study showed that wind turbines in New York cost the same amount per watt as nuclear. Granted nuclear is generally cheaper right now but remember it costs billions to decommission a nuclear plant and there's still all that waste to deal with ( not including the potentially huge costs of another disaster). Wind turbines also have had to spend money to get up and running on a much larger scale than before, which nuclear has already been through.

Think how wind solar etc are advancing. They are rapidly becoming longer lasting and much more efficient. The price of energy from these sources will become cheaper than nuclear power, especially for the home owners who can install wind turbines and solar panels on their own buildings. Nuclear isn't becoming cheaper, it's becoming increasingly expensive. Even the prospect of thorium reactors won't be cheaper than renewables because by the time there ever built renewable energy will have advanced so far.
post #147 of 249
Quote:

The effects in Japan on wildlife will be severe, as they've been in and around Chernoble, as the first study proves.

Really? What evidence do you have to back up that prediction?
post #148 of 249
Quote:

Really? What evidence do you have to back up that prediction?

I'll dig up the study and post here when I have it. It wouldn't exactly be surprising would it?
post #149 of 249
Quote:

I'll dig up the study and post here when I have it. It wouldn't exactly be surprising would it?

It's not a Chernobyl study is it? Fukushima != Chernobyl
post #150 of 249
Quote:

It's not a Chernobyl study is it? Fukushima != Chernobyl

It Is. It's the first study of it's kind and it was only finished recently. It showed amonst other things a dramatic loss of wildlife. I'll post tge link later. Fukushima's impacts are still unfolding, it's far from over and the consequences will be massive. It's certainly more localized than the Chernoble, but not for the Ocean which has very high levels of radiation. But the area affected in Fukushima is still large.

Here's a link from this month saying just how bad things are- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXc9oxxTZ6k

Here's a rabbit born without ears at Fukushima- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knJX9pxgMVw
post #151 of 249
How common are earless rabbits?
post #152 of 249
Quote:

It Is. It's the first study of it's kind and it was only finished recently. It showed amonst other things a dramatic loss of wildlife. I'll post tge link later. Fukushima's impacts are still unfolding, it's far from over and the consequences will be massive. It's certainly more localized than the Chernoble, but not for the Ocean which has very high levels of radiation. But the area affected in Fukushima is still large.

Here's a link from this month saying just how bad things are- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXc9oxxTZ6k

Here's a rabbit born without ears at Fukushima- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knJX9pxgMVw

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/10/...ans-radiation/

University of Miami biologist (and rabbit expert) Dana Krempels told MSNBC that earless bunnies are rare but not unheard of See Vincent or this one for sale and that the lack of ears on this one might not be a mutation, but instead a mutilation by its mother:
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #153 of 249
A bunch of dead fish just showed up in a a river somewhere near the nuke plant. They are investigating whether it is linked or whether it is a natural (?) thing.

Kids, some 40,000 of them, are being given dosimeters.

post #154 of 249
I plan on posting links to show how radiactivity cause deformities in nature in a following post. In the meantime here's some more desperate fearmongering from me-

"Officials at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant suspended an operation to clean contaminated water hours after it had begun because of a rapid rise in radiation.

Fresh water is being pumped in to cool damaged reactor cores, and is becoming contaminated in the process. Around 105,000 tonnes of highly radioactive water have pooled across the plant, and could overflow within a couple of weeks if action is not taken.

The system was suspended in early Saturday when workers detected a sharp radiation increase in the system's caesium-absorbing component, Matsumoto said. Radioactivity in one of 24 cartridges, which was expected to last for a few weeks, had already reached its limit within five hours, he said."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...econtamination
post #155 of 249
Quote:

I plan on posting links to show how radiactivity cause deformities in nature in a following post. In the meantime here's some more desperate fearmongering from me-

"Officials at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant suspended an operation to clean contaminated water hours after it had begun because of a rapid rise in radiation.

Fresh water is being pumped in to cool damaged reactor cores, and is becoming contaminated in the process. Around 105,000 tonnes of highly radioactive water have pooled across the plant, and could overflow within a couple of weeks if action is not taken.

The system was suspended in early Saturday when workers detected a sharp radiation increase in the system's caesium-absorbing component, Matsumoto said. Radioactivity in one of 24 cartridges, which was expected to last for a few weeks, had already reached its limit within five hours, he said."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...econtamination

You're hysterical.
post #156 of 249
Quote:

You're hysterical.

Thankyou!

I do my best at witty humour. I'm glad it's going down so well with you. I wish some others here would lighten-up so to speak, indeed positvely glow.
post #157 of 249
Quote:

Thankyou!

I do my best at witty humour. I'm glad it's going down so well with you. I wish some others here would lighten-up so to speak, indeed positvely glow.

I meant it in an emotional breakdown way.
post #158 of 249
Quote:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/10/...ans-radiation/

University of Miami biologist (and rabbit expert) Dana Krempels told MSNBC that earless bunnies are rare but not unheard of See Vincent or this one for sale and that the lack of ears on this one might not be a mutation, but instead a mutilation by its mother:

Based on this information the German's have come out strong against mother bunnies and are pushing though new regulations to ban mother bunnies country wide.
post #159 of 249
Fingers crossed for the US (and Canada et al)-

"The facility is designed to withstand floodwaters up to 1,014 feet, and water levels were not expected to rise beyond 1,008 feet, according to officials. The rupture of a flood protection berm on Sunday, however, allowed water to threaten the facility's main power transformers, and the plant was temporarily cut off from power supplied by the electric grid as a precaution. Backup diesel generators provided power for about 12 hours on Sunday, Dricks said, but grid power has since been restored."
~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_885534.html
post #160 of 249
Can't happen here-

"Nearly one million people around the world died from exposure to radiation released by the 1986 nuclear disaster at the Chernobyl reactor, finds a new book from the New York Academy of Sciences published today on the 24th anniversary of the meltdown at the Soviet facility.

"No citizen of any country can be assured that he or she can be protected from radioactive contamination. One nuclear reactor can pollute half the globe," they said. "Chernobyl fallout covers the entire Northern Hemisphere."

Their findings are in contrast to estimates by the World Health Organization and the International Atomic Energy Agency that initially said only 31 people had died among the "liquidators," those approximately 830,000 people who were in charge of extinguishing the fire at the Chernobyl reactor and deactivation and cleanup of the site.

The book finds that by 2005, between 112,000 and 125,000 liquidators had died.

Drawing upon extensive data, the authors estimate the number of deaths worldwide due to Chernobyl fallout from 1986 through 2004 was 985,000, a number that has since increased.

By contrast, WHO and the IAEA estimated 9,000 deaths and some 200,000 people sickened in 2005.

Nations outside the former Soviet Union received high doses of radioactive fallout, most notably Norway, Sweden, Finland, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Austria, Romania, Greece, and parts of the United Kingdom and Germany.

About 550 million Europeans, and 150 to 230 million others in the Northern Hemisphere received notable contamination. Fallout reached the United States and Canada nine days after the disaster.

The proportion of children considered healthy born to irradiated parents in Belarus, the Ukraine, and European Russia considered healthy fell from about 80 percent to less than 20 percent since 1986.

Little research on Chernobyl health effects in the United States has been conducted, the authors found, but one study by the Radiation and Public Health Project found that in the early 1990s, a few years after the meltdown, thyroid cancer in Connecticut children had nearly doubled.

This occurred at the same time that childhood thyroid cancer rates in the former Soviet Union were surging, as the thyroid gland is highly sensitive to radioactive iodine exposures.
~ http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/apr2...-04-26-01.html
The world now has 435 nuclear reactors and of these, 104 are in the United States.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Japan and the Japanese People