or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Japan and the Japanese People

Japan and the Japanese People - Page 7

post #241 of 249
Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

(That's a movie reference.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #242 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Dude I know more about dystopian literature than you know about libertarianism. Fuck off.

And you bristle when someone suggests liberals are arrogant and elitist.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #243 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

And you bristle when someone suggests liberals are arrogant and elitist.

And we've come full circle. Once again with the ignorance is strength argument.
post #244 of 249
What libertarian works have you studied, tonton? Just curious.

post #245 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

And we've come full circle. Once again with the ignorance is strength argument.

That's not the argument I'm making at all.

post #246 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

There exist reactors that, through their very nature, via the laws of physics, will slow down their reactions if the reactions start ramping up too much. Modern reactors are incredibly safe.

Also, I don't think you understood the analogy. You don't stop driving modern cars because an old car, known to have design flaws, still is being driven, and suffers a gas tank explosion in an incredibly rare crash circumstance.

If my faith in Jesus was as uncritical as your faith in modern reactors, I'd have become an atheist a long time ago.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #247 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

About the rebuilding... Discussions are proceeding, albeit not quickly, and sadly, the central government, currently with power in a not so intellectually endowed group, isn't helping to expedite things.

Japan has a population roughly half that of the US. Japan has a land area roughly the size of California. Over 75% of the land is too mountainous to use.

I urge any of you who is interested to use Google Earth to fly over the impacted areas to get a feel for the terrain. Most of Japan is mountainous, leaving precious little space usually along the coast for people to live, thus creating a recipe for disaster. Find Tokyo, go east over to the coast, and move north to the tip of the main island (Honshu). With an eye height of 20 kilometers, you can see a lot fast. Or search for KESENNUMA and look around there (well north of the nuke plant and closer to where the larger waves were).

Many areas are considering moving to higher ground but that means flattening out some mountains. They are thinking to use the coastal areas for farming and industry. Of course, the ports for fishing. How to ensure safety in the low areas? Evacuation routes need to be secured and practiced. Some sturdy buildings may be used as evac shelters. Some researchers are looking hard into the survivability of buildings; last year, some buildings made it through the tsunami while others, once thought to be sturdy, were uprooted or crushed.

Then there is the problem of debris. There is quite a bit of it and some is contaminated, requiring all to be checked before any other areas will accept it. A slow process.

Yes, most of the reactors are off-line and if I'm not wrong, the other two will go off in the next couple of months. Talks are underway to get a couple up and running, but resistance is strong. Sadly, businesses are leaving. The companies will survive, but the people and regions may not. There has been some talk about getting large companies with large plots of land to install generators, but that seems to have faded. A kind of apathy seems to be developing and it is worrisome.

I go back to the government. The current ruling party is a disaster unto itself and that makes the whole recovery that much harder. In fact, it is so depressing to watch, I have no resistance remaining to watch the wild show that is the GOP primaries back in the States. I can't take both so I follow that which impacts me the most. Many here, though, are deeply worried about the GOP regaining power in the US after watching the rhetoric of the primary runs and the GOP's antics since Obama took office. Japan depends greatly upon the US so they want a stable US.

Why are they so worried about the GOP?

I've read there's an exodus of production due to power concerns. Made by Japan instead of made in Japan.

The Japanese are scientifically correct to doubt the safety of modern reactors. They are not at all safe. I repeat. They are not at all safe.

I will get on google maps, but that was my understanding.

Not a single renewable energy source was disrupted by this tsunami. If ever there was a time where the dots join it's now.
post #248 of 249
No faith necessary. Science.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #249 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

No faith necessary. Science.

And the science says it's dangerous.

Your virgins are whores and your gods a mass murderer.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Japan and the Japanese People