or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Japan and the Japanese People

Japan and the Japanese People - Page 2

post #41 of 249
A major press conference today start off trying to stop a small panic ensuing from a chain-mail message that had claimed gasoline shortages. There had been a rush on gas stations.

This morning there were rushes on supermarkets. One sold out of everything in one hour in Tokyo.

There was also a very popular TV announcer who on his show yesterday morning claimed that any radioactive leak was a real danger... he was very different on TV this morning after a flood of claims yesterday.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #42 of 249
Another quake hit near Tokyo.

post #43 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Tsk.....really BR, I do think you are intelligent enough to think of more options than those - it's only one more option than a Fundie can conceive of.

Even the Jesuits can do better - this is very poor....

There is a logical problem with an all powerful god and praying to it after a disaster that could have been averted in the first place. It's like christians are battered wives defending their abusive husbands whenever this gets brought up as well. "God works in mysterious ways" is no different from "he only hits me because he loves me."

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #44 of 249
The media today have been working hard to allay the fears of shortages of items.

Lots of stores sold out of many things early in the morning and some people going later panicked that they needed the same items, leading to more rushes.

The media have contacted large store chains and manufacturers and are presenting data that there are no shortages and that items will be delivered to stores.

---

The Prime Minister is pissed at TEPCO (the plant operator). Though rightly pissed, my take is he is likely more worried about looking bad personally (the first explosion took place while he was in a meeting and he wasn't informed for an hour). This is the same PM who said several weeks ago that he would not resign even if his favorability hit 1%.

TEPCO's news conferences continue to be a mess. Coordination is a problem between the government agency, government and TEPCO.

People around me are saying that TEPCO is just a big company looking out primarily for itself, and the current PM and staff aren't much better.

Conference starting now. The guy who got pissed last night is the lead. He does not convey any confidence and is adding to the worries here.

post #45 of 249
The governor of Fukushima is doing an amazing job under the circumstances.

The prefecture has hourly radiation monitoring systems set up since yesterday and they are posting data online and through the media regularly.

Some supply trucks carrying water to the prefecture turned around due to the radiation; the governor wrote the prime minister an urgent letter asking him to get the supplies through.

---

As I've watched over the days, the situation on the ground for many of the survivors of the quake/tsunami is steadily improving. Media has been at some evac locations from day 1 and the improvement day by day is good for many. Of course, many locations still lack even the most basic of supplies, but the situation is definitely improving.

A clothing chain (Uniqlo) has donated lots of clothing and is sending it up. Info on many other companies is online. Interestingly, some very large manufacturers (NB Toyota) are absent from the list.

A dairy farmer delivered milk (in the farm container) to one location. They boiled it and drank it; "delicious" said one man.

post #46 of 249
A video message from the Emperor to the people was just shown on TV. It was quite moving and people watching were brought to tears.

He recognized the suffering and asked the people to pull together. He also recognized the efforts of the SDF, police and fire departments and the governments. He also recognized the international assistance and spoke of the letters of condolence he has received form many countries. He wanted to relate the feeling of oneness with the people affected by the events.

It was a recorded message and the emperor himself requested that if there was any urgent broadcast that needed to be made during the video that the news was to take priority and to cut into his video.

post #47 of 249
Hospitals are overflowing. Doctors are walking between hospitals in order to rank patients and coordinate who should be moved where. Tv images show waiting rooms being used as overflow patient bedding. Non-critical patients are being housed in tents outside the hospitals.

---

The SDF has started preparing to pour water and chemicals into the hole atop #4 reactor from helicopters. It was decided that truly dangerous efforts should be handled by the SDF. Fire trucks are spraying water in through a hole in the wall.

Hopes for success and thanks for your efforts.

post #48 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

There is a logical problem with an all powerful god and praying to it after a disaster that could have been averted in the first place. It's like christians are battered wives defending their abusive husbands whenever this gets brought up as well. "God works in mysterious ways" is no different from "he only hits me because he loves me."

Praying to God to remedy something that has happened is illogical I agree - as it must be God's will what has occurred.

My point was more that God does not have to be omnipotent to be God and does not have to be 'evil' even if He is omnipotent any more than you are evil for killing millions of bacteria in the course of being alive.

It's all a question of scale - most religionists are irrational just because they do not realize this and put man on a level with a God they have created themselves in their own image.

But that does not mean a higher consciousness of a very different order could not exist and it does not mean it has to be aware of us or our concerns and happenings.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #49 of 249
The attempt to douse the react #4 by helicopter has been aborted.

post #50 of 249
Quote:

Praying to God to remedy something that has happened is illogical I agree - as it must be God's will what has occurred.

My point was more that God does not have to be omnipotent to be God and does not have to be 'evil' even if He is omnipotent any more than you are evil for killing millions of bacteria in the course of being alive.

It's all a question of scale - most religionists are irrational just because they do not realize this and put man on a level with a God they have created themselves in their own image.

But that does not mean a higher consciousness of a very different order could not exist and it does not mean it has to be aware of us or our concerns and happenings.

Your vision of god is not NoahJ's god. Your vision of god is not the christian's god. Noahj is asking for literal intervention from a god he believes to be omnipotent. I take issue with that. My comments have absolutely nothing to do with what you are bringing up here. While I appreciate the higher level of sophistication of your view on the topic here, your comments are completely out of scope and have no bearing on what I took issue with in the first place.

Noah's god is omnipotent.

Noah literally prays to that god for direct intervention.

Noah's god could have prevented the tragedy from happening the first place.

Noah's god is an evil son of a bitch.

Noah is the battered wife making excuses for god, the abusive husband.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #51 of 249
Quote:

Your vision of god is not NoahJ's god. Your vision of god is not the christian's god. Noahj is asking for literal intervention from a god he believes to be omnipotent. I take issue with that.

Ok..point taken, I agree. Me too. YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!!!!

Quote:
My comments have absolutely nothing to do with what you are bringing up here. While I appreciate the higher level of sophistication of your view on the topic here, your comments are completely out of scope and have no bearing on what I took issue with in the first place.

Bit strong - although I agree with you about the prayer thing in this context, I think that if that if one has a religious framework and see it like that it is still a worthy/noble act to pray even if it is irrational.

Quote:
Noah's god is omnipotent.

Noah literally prays to that god for direct intervention.

Noah's god could have prevented the tragedy from happening the first place.

Noah's god is an evil son of a bitch.

Noah is the battered wife making excuses for god, the abusive husband.

But if He doesn't exist so what?

All over Japan people are praying to their own Gods no?

Quote:
When uncounted thousands have died in a disaster such as last week's earthquake and tsunami, where will the Japanese people find spiritual strength?

Experts on Japanese culture say they'll find it in the critical, comforting rituals of religion.

They will rely on centuries-old traditions of a distinctive Buddhist culture and the ancient Shinto beliefs of their earliest people. Japan is 90 percent Buddhist or Shinto or a combination of the two, with young urban Japanese more inclined to have drifted from religious attachments.

Link

I think this is fine - ok, these beings may not exist (or they may do) but the point is the psychological support it offers no?

If the Japanese people need this support then that's fine by me. Whatever gets you through. Maybe Noah's praying and beliefs are 'getting him through' something too.

I don't knock it - whatever your therapy is then my benchmark is whether you are sincere in trying to fix yourself and whether it works.

And it doesn't have to be 'true' to work...it doesn't even have to be 'true' to be true.
post #52 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

A major press conference today start off trying to stop a small panic ensuing from a chain-mail message that had claimed gasoline shortages. There had been a rush on gas stations.

This morning there were rushes on supermarkets. One sold out of everything in one hour in Tokyo.

There was also a very popular TV announcer who on his show yesterday morning claimed that any radioactive leak was a real danger... he was very different on TV this morning after a flood of claims yesterday.

The problem is the Japanese Government is not revealing everything to the people and they are concerned about this.What are they hiding from the people?
post #53 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

The problem is the Japanese Government is not revealing everything to the people and they are concerned about this.What are they hiding from the people?

It's more of they aren't being completely forthcoming, especially TEPCO (the power company in charge of the plant).

The current prime minister and his group have also rustled more than a few feathers since attaining office and their approval rating wasn't high running up to the disaster, so there are some lingering questions. As I've said before, he said he will not resign even if his approval rating drops to 1%. So he is a minority trying to push his way on the majority. Many of his (and his cabinet's) actions have not been well thought-through and others have been rather divisive. They also have been hit by several money scandals, despite running on a platform of "clean" politics. They gained office because of a few reasons, one being similar to the Republican rush last fall in the US: many people simply didn't vote because they weren't 150% happy with the other party.

post #54 of 249
Quote:

Ok..point taken, I agree. Me too. YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!!!!

Bit strong - although I agree with you about the prayer thing in this context, I think that if that if one has a religious framework and see it like that it is still a worthy/noble act to pray even if it is irrational.

But if He doesn't exist so what?

All over Japan people are praying to their own Gods no?

Link

I think this is fine - ok, these beings may not exist (or they may do) but the point is the psychological support it offers no?

If the Japanese people need this support then that's fine by me. Whatever gets you through. Maybe Noah's praying and beliefs are 'getting him through' something too.

I don't knock it - whatever your therapy is then my benchmark is whether you are sincere in trying to fix yourself and whether it works.

And it doesn't have to be 'true' to work...it doesn't even have to be 'true' to be true.

I knock it because Noah publicly said it...as if it actually were some wonderfully positive thing he's doing for the people of Japan. Had he kept his delusions to himself, there'd be no knocking of them.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #55 of 249
Quote:

I knock it because Noah publicly said it...as if it actually were some wonderfully positive thing he's doing for the people of Japan. Had he kept his delusions to himself, there'd be no knocking of them.

I hear you....all I'm saying is maybe it does him some good....just saying.....
post #56 of 249
But it's still sick if you follow what he believes to its logical conclusion. And it still does NOTHING for the people of Japan. So yay, he feels good for praying to an asshole god and doing zero for the people that actually need help.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #57 of 249
I think there's a little too much automatic respect reserved for stupid religious beliefs in our society. Just because it's a belief doesn't mean it's fucking untouchable.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #58 of 249
Quote:

But it's still sick if you follow what he believes to its logical conclusion. And it still does NOTHING for the people of Japan. So yay, he feels good for praying to an asshole god and doing zero for the people that actually need help.

How do you know it does nothing? Maybe he donates money or is planning some sort of active assistance? And if he does then surely this is a result of his belief?

In many cases there are religious people all over the world who are rushing to help BECAUSE of their beliefs. If they did not believe maybe they would not give a toss....

So it's a good thing right?
post #59 of 249
Oh just be good for goodness' sake.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #60 of 249
Quote:

I think there's a little too much automatic respect reserved for stupid religious beliefs in our society. Just because it's a belief doesn't mean it's fucking untouchable.

Nothing should be untouchable....

But then nothing should be accepted as 'stupid' because someone claims it is. Many things are 'stupid'. Some are even 'sick'. Some of these things are religious...I can think of quite a few that are anti religious.

Imo the only loyalty should be to logic and reason - and these things are easy to define. The thing that should be opposed is illogic and unreason.

Unfortunately, some things that are religious fall into this category as do some things that like to think they are fighting the religious impulse.

It doesn't matter either way to the logician and the sane person - they'll fight insanity when it comes from the Left and fight it when it comes from the Right as well as all other directions - all without needing to ally themselves with any of the forces involved accept reason itself.
post #61 of 249
Quote:

Oh just be good for goodness' sake.

I try...but would be nice to have all those virgins too.....

post #62 of 249
Quote:

Regardless of the religious aspect, there have in fact been studies where people appear to recover more quickly when they have been prayed over and likewise studies where people were treated effectively with placibos.

That doesn't prove much about God or religion, but there is something to be said about energy, efforts and interactions, especially on the human level.

If Fellowship's religious intentions cause him to take positive action to help then why begrudge them? Likewise if someone has intentions from approved sources but would rather worry about the sources than take action, then who does that help?

Religious folks tend to give disproportionately to charities and causes both of time and money. That helps and saying the motivation isn't rational to you doesn't change the actions. How does one scientifically explain selflessness and compassion anyway? How do you scientifically explain hope and love?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #63 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Regardless of the religious aspect, there have in fact been studies where people appear to recover more quickly when they have been prayed over and likewise studies where people were treated effectively with placibos.

That doesn't prove much about God or religion, but there is something to be said about energy, efforts and interactions, especially on the human level.

If Fellowship's religious intentions cause him to take positive action to help then why begrudge them? Likewise if someone has intentions from approved sources but would rather worry about the sources than take action, then who does that help?

Religious folks tend to give disproportionately to charities and causes both of time and money. That helps and saying the motivation isn't rational to you doesn't change the actions. How does one scientifically explain selflessness and compassion anyway? How do you scientifically explain hope and love?

And...

Why does anyone even appeal for selflessness and compassion? And why can one declare something "good" or "evil" or "right" or "wrong?" Why does anyone appeal to any kind of objective moral code of any kind?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #64 of 249
Quote:

Your lack of understanding of my beliefs is not something that I can help in this context. Your willingness to deplore my actions and beliefs with no supporting evidence of what i have or have not done outside of prayer says more about you than it does about me.

I thought we had found an understanding, but it appears that understanding does not go further than your own personal belief system.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #65 of 249
Well, the topic has changed...

post #66 of 249
Quote:

Well, the topic has changed...

I apologize, I have been reading all your updates, they are very informative and helpful. I do not get most of this news as quickly from the news sources I have available to me. Please continue.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #67 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I apologize, I have been reading all your updates, they are very informative and helpful. I do not get most of this news as quickly from the news sources I have available to me. Please continue.

Yes, please continue. You seem to be one of the best news sources around.
post #68 of 249
I think it would be nice if the "thread within this thread could STOP" If parties involved want to discuss these matters START another thread...

This thread is about the Japanese people.

Please.
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #69 of 249
This story is from yesterday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...y-panic-buying

That and my understanding is that temperatures are in the 20's and with wind chill factors in the teens.

Fellows

post #70 of 249
This is not looking good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/wo...er=rss&emc=rss

US orders Americans to evacuate 80km radius. This alone will cause a bit of panic here.

US will not fly in the zone.

Foreign rescue teams are pulling out.

Some people (Japanese) are leaving Japan, especially mothers with you kids. Of course, lots of foreigners are, too.

post #71 of 249
Quote:

This is not looking good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/wo...er=rss&emc=rss

US orders Americans to evacuate 80km radius. This alone will cause a bit of panic here.

US will not fly in the zone.

Foreign rescue teams are pulling out.

Some people (Japanese) are leaving Japan, especially mothers with you kids. Of course, lots of foreigners are, too.

I heard that on the news coming in to work this morning about the US Military not going within 50 Miles of the plants and that to me says a lot about the perceived safety of the areas by the US officials.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #72 of 249
It's 7:45 am and so far the government has not held a new conference. I was hoping that at first light they would go on air and say that XYZ was taking place and they would report back ASAP. As it is, silence is pretty nerve-wracking.

There is an evac center 25km from the plant. A TV station called them and asked what they needed. The answer was simple: communication from the government.

An American Globalhawk UAV will be put above the plant today, but there is no info on when. It has infrared sensors and a good camera that should provide lots of data. It was on Guam.

---
TEPCO saying now they have started shooting water into the #4 reactor with a police water truck (the kind used to break up demonstrations)
The Globalhawk will fly today; time unknown.
---

Trucks carrying supplies to the evacuees are stopping short of the area out of fear for the radiation. Some have turned back.
Cities closer to the area are taking the lead and hiring buses and making collections at various offices.

A ship docked at a half-functioning port with tons of supplies but trucks cannot access the port.

post #73 of 249
Some evacuees are falling ill with influenza. There is no heat in many evac centers and there has been little food.

The US said helicopters couldn't fly yesterday due to the bad weather and only 19 trips were made; they made 29 the day before. Aren't these choppers designed for all-weather missions? Somebody asked me yesterday if this were a war would they have flown?

14 elderly evacuees died soon after being transferred to another evac center.

post #74 of 249
They are dropping water by helicopter now.

Hope it works.

They are flying fairly low but not stopping so as to lower the radiation hitting the pilot.

The SDF also has ground troops spraying from trucks. Eleven more truck are on their way.

This was sudden, breaking news on NHK. An announcement by the national nuclear safety board started just before the efforts but I don't know if it was actually announced.

Neither ht ePrime Minister nor Mr. Edano has been seen today. They probably just want to take credit if it succeeds.

post #75 of 249
The helicopters have Geiger counters mounted in the front. The crew cabin has been lined and the crew are wearing special suits.

They made several passes and now there is a lull. Possibly changing pilots.

It's up:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/as...ex.html?hpt=T1

post #76 of 249
PM Kan held a meeting with a nuclear specialist earlier today... Reporters say that he said this operation must succeed or, in a worst case scenario, eastern Japan would be destroyed.

Wow. This is the same guy who tried to say everything was OK and who has still not evacuated people from the area completely.

I hope they have this on tape.

---

Police trucks will go in soon to spray water from the ground. These are limited to 1 minute as the water canon operator will be standing atop the truck, fully exposed except for his suit.

post #77 of 249
Quote:

PM Kan held a meeting with a nuclear specialist earlier today... Reporters say that he said this operation must succeed or, in a worst case scenario, eastern Japan would be destroyed.

Wow. This is the same guy who tried to say everything was OK and who has still not evacuated people from the area completely.

---

Police trucks will go in soon to spray water from the ground. These are limited to 1 minute as the water canon operator will be standing atop the truck, fully exposed except for his suit.

Certainly not "fully exposed". Considering your mastery of the situation I'm sure you know the three tenants of radiation safety.
post #78 of 249
Quote:

---

This is a great opportunity for a remote operated water canon setup. I wonder if they have such a thing. This way they can use a camera to line it up and there is no limit to the time it can be run. It should not be that hard to rig up.

My confidence level is dropping with every report. Stay safe man.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #79 of 249
Plume to be in So Cal by Friday.....

according to this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/sc...lume.html?_r=1

Multimedia interactive of the projected movement here:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ml?ref=science

Fellows

post #80 of 249
The water canon trucks actually have R/C canons, so the crews will not be fully exposed. They will be behind a protective shield.

The news keeps saying the efforts are going to start soon, but nothing has happened as far as we know. The radiation levels only dropped slightly after the helicopter drops; there have been no more helicopter operations.

---

Rescue and support operations of course are continuing across the tsunami hit area. Gasoline still seems to be in short supply and this is hampering efforts. Some evac centers are now getting good supplies while others still have received nothing.

Lots of stories coming out of people doing their best. Some stores in the lesser affected areas are selling things at 50% off. Stores in harder hit areas are giving supplies away for free. People in one area who had yet to receive any supplies have resorted to plucking what they can find out f the flood waters. Some evac centers are melting snow to use for flushing toilets in order to save drinking water.

People who are being impacted by the blackouts are helping and, sadly, not helping. In my city, the news showed stores selling out of batteries and flashlights and other small items that are then being sent to family members in the blackout regions. A battery maker said yesterday that their factory will go to 24-hour production, but didn't say that the batteries would be sent to the disaster zone. One TV announcer in Tokyo commented that people could help the situation by turning down their heaters despite the dropping temperatures and added this might help the environment, too. Her guest very quickly said that it wasn't a matter of helping the environment and that people could help best by turning off their heaters and wearing sweaters; the blackouts are only three hours long.

Water canons are going in veyry soon, is being announced. Gotta go.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Japan and the Japanese People