or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Teardown of Apple's iPad 2 Smart Cover uncovers 21 magnets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Teardown of Apple's iPad 2 Smart Cover uncovers 21 magnets - Page 2

post #41 of 76
... How are these magnets going to interact with the human body that is essentially an electro-magnetic/electro-chemical device? What lawsuits are going to come out? Maybe it will cure my arthritic (spelling) fingers?
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I am thinking Motorola will file a patent case against Apple, if they were smart enough to file a general patent, of course.

The Cinema Display had a built-in magnet for the iSight camera (way nicer than on the PC side wondering where to stick the tape or scratchy clamp...) and the iMac also had the magnet holding the little remote to the side. And did the Pre 'touchstone' thing pre-date the Droid?

Anyway, unlikely to be looking at any lawsuits here. Oh, who are we kidding, of course there can be some lawsuits!
post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch1 View Post

... How are these magnets going to interact with the human body that is essentially an electro-magnetic/electro-chemical device? What lawsuits are going to come out? Maybe it will cure my arthritic (spelling) fingers?

Unfortunately, the magnets completely disable those magic arthritis bracelets they sell on the shopping channel.
post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I think there should have been more magnets at the corners of the smart cover and iPad 2 to ensure a tighter closed connection.

Agreed. My smart cover is already becoming sloppy after 3 days....
post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

So, the world should stop providing blood transfusions or procreating? I am confused.

AIDS transmission by blood transfusion is exceedingly rare. Within monogamous marriage ('to death do us part'), it is also very rare. AIDS exists more because of human choices -- 'Recreation', in various forms (sex, drug needles), not 'procreation'.
post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

True, OMG imagine laying your latest Apple ][ disk full of games (with the notch cut out so as to be able to write to the reverse side of course) down one of these screen covers!

Awesome! I had totally forgotten about cutting out the notch. Nice memory.
post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

AIDS transmission by blood transfusion is exceedingly rare. Within monogamous marriage ('to death do us part'), it is also very rare. AIDS exists more because of human choices -- 'Recreation', in various forms (sex, drug needles), not 'procreation'.

You original comment stated it could be stopped tomorrow, not mostly stopped. Since youve acknowledged that HIV has been transmitted via a blood transfusion, even though its far from the most common method, your original comment has to be false as stated.

In fact, based on your comment the only assured method is to separate and eradicated any and all people with HIV/AIDSon the planet. Even then, its only assured if you eradicate all of it, which means testing everyone, which also includes non-human primates. Id think you wouldnt be suggesting all that.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Where the multi-pierced hipster Apple Retail staff are suddenly besieged - Wile E. Coyote style - by an open case of 21-magnet iPad2 covers.


(Disclaimer - I adore Apple, but the retail staff can be amusing to watch.)

I don't know, the customers are much more amusing to me...
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I wish we could put the research into diseases that have unknown (or lesser-undesrstood) causes -- cancer, alzheimers, etc. AIDS could be stopped tomorrow, without any research at all.

Don't be such a colossal bigot.
post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You original comment stated it could be stopped tomorrow, not mostly stopped. Since youve acknowledged that HIV has been transmitted via a blood transfusion, even though its far from the most common method, your original comment has to be false as stated.

In fact, based on your comment the only assured method is to separate and eradicated any and all people with HIV/AIDSon the planet. Even then, its only assured if you eradicate all of it, which means testing everyone, which also includes non-human primates. Id think you wouldnt be suggesting all that.

No one said anything about separating or eradicating. The spread of AIDS could be stopped by human choice. No need to 'eradicate' anyone. But let's put money on diseases that aren't as preventable.
post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

The Cinema Display had a built-in magnet for the iSight camera (way nicer than on the PC side wondering where to stick the tape or scratchy clamp...) ...

what model was that? I have an old iSight and it only came with those plastic mounts. Never found any magnetic areas on my Cinema Displays either.
post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Don't be such a colossal bigot.

That statement itself shows that it's you that's the bigot.
post #53 of 76
This is the sort of thing that sets Apple apart from the competition. However, this is also the sort of thing that exposes Apple to issues like Antennagate.

Apple does not fear to tread boldly into totally new territory. I would not be surprised if we start hearing stories in a few weeks, of how someone's credit cards, or pen drives, or some such thing got fried just because they were placed on the iPad.

I think Apple could have used elecro-magnets - instead of permanent magnets. This could be done by simply routing the power from the batteries into 10 solenoid coils placed around the display, and then routing the power to the circuits. If the user decides to not have magnets - he can set up the iPad to disable magnetism - and the power from the iPad would be routed directly to the circuits, bypassing the solenoids entirely.

Of course, there would be slight impact to the battery life if this was done - unless Apple figured out a way to create superconductivity at room temperature real cheap :-)
post #54 of 76
Over at Instructables.com I wrote an article on how to make an non-smart iPad cover into a smart one by inserting magnets.
post #55 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Oh, the memories!

Note to self, don't put wallet full of credit cards near an iPad or it's cover!

True that! Although it probably won't hurt a card unless you rub it around directly over the magnets in the case.
post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

No one said anything about separating or eradicating. The spread of AIDS could be stopped by human choice. No need to 'eradicate' anyone. But let's put money on diseases that aren't as preventable.

Speaking of "human choice why not let humans choose which diseases should be funded. I like the idea that millions of people are working on curing, lessening, or generally giving people afflicted with a disease a chance at a decent life.

I dont like the idea that no money should be put toward diseases that are more preventable than others, or because its seen as a blacks disease or gays disease. I like the idea of human choice in how us humans will better the world.

For all you and I know some poor women who was raped (her choice?) and carried a baby to term who then contracted HIV in utero could go on to cure a genetic disease if given a chance to have a long, healthy life.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of "human choice why not let humans choose which diseases should be funded. I like the idea that millions of people are working on curing, lessening, or generally giving people afflicted with a disease a chance at a decent life.

I dont like the idea that no money should be put toward diseases that are more preventable than others, or because its seen as a blacks disease or gays disease. I like the idea of human choice in how us humans will better the world.

For all you and I know some poor women who was raped (her choice?) and carried a baby to term who then contracted HIV in utero could go on to cure a genetic disease if given a chance to have a long, healthy life.

I agree. I don't think all funding/research should be stopped, because there are those with the disease today, and there will be a few who will get it transmitted in the womb, etc. I just think that there is an over-emphasis of the medical cure, rather than preventing the disease from being acquired in the first place.
post #58 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Where the multi-pierced hipster Apple Retail staff are suddenly besieged - Wile E. Coyote style - by an open case of 21-magnet iPad2 covers.


(Disclaimer - I adore Apple, but the retail staff can be amusing to watch.)

That's going to change now that they have a .... "Magnetic Personality."
post #59 of 76
Now that there has been a teardown, I hope we get a bill of materials estimate for the covers.
post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Now that there has been a teardown, I hope we get a bill of materials estimate for the covers.

LOL $4.12

Unfortunately its one of those things that are vastly more costly to design and produce than what the BoM states. I wouldnt be surprised if the cost of the iPad-side Smart Cover hardware isnt included in the price of the Smart Cover, not the iPad. It could be a way to keep the cost down on the device and recoup it in the Smart Cover.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I agree. I don't think all funding/research should be stopped, because there are those with the disease today, and there will be a few who will get it transmitted in the womb, etc. I just think that there is an over-emphasis of the medical cure, rather than preventing the disease from being acquired in the first place.

Actually it needs a multifaceted approach. Lots of it is spent on prevention. In africa in particular it takes a lot of money to dispel the misinformation spread, by the catholic church in particular, about the use of phrophylactic methods.

Monogamy and abstinence are certainly methods that can be effective novel approaches to combat transmission. But I think it is naive to suggest that everyone is equally suited to, or even capable of, those approaches.

I'm intrigued by this teardown. The solution apple took is nothing like I imagined. I never imagined they needed the steel plate - but it makes sense to secure the metal without tearing the cover. I reasoned that they didn't need magnets in the middle sections where the yellow plastic is (even though the audio track in the smart cover advertisement made it sound like there were). I'm glad that magnets hold the folded triangle in place. That was the kind of information the early reviews lacked. I've done enough origami to know how easily creases can unfold when the material is thick. It looks like a decent solution and worth the money.
post #62 of 76
The amazing thing is how many magnets it takes. I imagine they put a lot of time and effort into the design, including a lot of mockups to figure out exactly the best way to do it.

It really is ingenious. The iPad as a whole reminds me of the bridges of Maillart.


http://plumblines.wordpress.com/2009...ur-wulflingen/
post #63 of 76
I'm vacationing in Japan now (keep positive hopes and thoughts for the people here) and saw this on a Japanese website. Seems Apple may have gotten the idea for the iPad cover from a popular Japanese bath cover:

post #64 of 76
BlackBerry has been using magnets for YEARS. When you slide your BB into its holster the magnet puts it to sleep. <YAWN>
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Because a docking station is the same as a cover?

Because it uses the same "mechanism". Its "how" the technology is applied.
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

BlackBerry has been using magnets for YEARS. When you slide your BB into its holster the magnet puts it to sleep. <YAWN>

And? Are you saying that RiM was first to discover the power of magnets or the first to use them? Is RiM the first to use a magnetosensor in CE to turn a device on/off?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #67 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Monogamy and abstinence are certainly methods that can be effective novel approaches to combat transmission. But I think it is naive to suggest that everyone is equally suited to, or even capable of, those approaches.

Everyone is capable of controlling their own bodies.

(except maybe Charlie Sheen, but that's because his brain seems to be missing...)
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I'm vacationing in Japan now (keep positive hopes and thoughts for the people here) and saw this on a Japanese website. Seems Apple may have gotten the idea for the iPad cover from a popular Japanese bath cover:


Japan. Inventing crazy shit you'd never thought you'd need since 1965.
post #69 of 76
(nevermind)
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

BlackBerry has been using magnets for YEARS. When you slide your BB into its holster the magnet puts it to sleep. <YAWN>

Mmm the BB Holster. Nothing else says corporate drone like it. Yes, conversely, the white earbuds etc...
post #71 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

The amazing thing is how many magnets it takes. I imagine they put a lot of time and effort into the design, including a lot of mockups to figure out exactly the best way to do it.

It really is ingenious. The iPad as a whole reminds me of the bridges of Maillart.

http://plumblines.wordpress.com/2009...ur-wulflingen/

Awesome. Those are all held in place by magnets, right?
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

A lot of people here forget that Motorola has already used the "magnets" idea in their Droid line for a while for different docking stations. This time, it was Apple that copied the idea

I haven't seen the Droid docking stations. Do they work sort of like the MagSafe adapter on MacBooks?
post #73 of 76
Thinking of the smart cover in my normal business bag, it would be close to credit cards, transport tickets, identification cards, frequent flyer cards, boarding cards, etc etc.

Many ot them also have rfid or chips, but all have a magnetic strip, which would be possible influenced by the magnets of the smart cover.

Somebody (Apple?) should publically show tests of unmodified magnetic cards when close to the smart cover.

Instead it would be imprudent to buy.

BR,
Andrea
post #74 of 76
unfortunately apple did not design the magnet placement to support portrait-oriented ipad covers such as cradle-oriented keyboards.

as a result, the logitech ultrathin bluetooth case is mechanically unstable in portrait mode: the ipad simply tumbles backwards and crashes on to the table 1frown.gif

(the fact that a premium product -$120- doesnt have keyboard backlighting -or even solar power for that matter- is also an egregious design flaw: but that's off-topic 1wink.gif

hopefully apple will see fit to improve the distribution magnets in the ipad5!

(utilizing a better calibre of 'smart' magnets / electronics would also be appreciated: following the lead of the magsafe technology - tho in the converse- the magnets' inductive characteristics should dynamically adapt to the live load so that they increase their bond in peak moments to prevent unwanted sudden separation (eg tipping) while yet still retaining their low clasping threshold for slow deliberate detachments).

in the meantime: BEWARE!
apple's half-thought thru design leaves your ipad vulnerable in a cradle when used in portrait mode 1frown.gif
post #75 of 76
Originally Posted by davidf01 View Post
unfortunately apple did not design the magnet placement to support portrait-oriented ipad covers such as cradle-oriented keyboards.

hopefully apple will see fit to improve the distribution magnets in the ipad5!


Why should they move their magnets for the sake of third parties? Third parties should build based on Apple's magnets.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #76 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf01 View Post

unfortunately apple did not design the magnet placement to support portrait-oriented ipad covers such as cradle-oriented keyboards.

as a result, the logitech ultrathin bluetooth case is mechanically unstable in portrait mode: the ipad simply tumbles backwards and crashes on to the table 1frown.gif

(the fact that a premium product -$120- doesnt have keyboard backlighting -or even solar power for that matter- is also an egregious design flaw: but that's off-topic 1wink.gif

hopefully apple will see fit to improve the distribution magnets in the ipad5!

(utilizing a better calibre of 'smart' magnets / electronics would also be appreciated: following the lead of the magsafe technology - tho in the converse- the magnets' inductive characteristics should dynamically adapt to the live load so that they increase their bond in peak moments to prevent unwanted sudden separation (eg tipping) while yet still retaining their low clasping threshold for slow deliberate detachments).

in the meantime: BEWARE!
apple's half-thought thru design leaves your ipad vulnerable in a cradle when used in portrait mode 1frown.gif

 

This sounds a lot more like Logitech did a poor job in desigining their keyboard/cradle.

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Teardown of Apple's iPad 2 Smart Cover uncovers 21 magnets