or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple iTunes takes just 4% of US digital video market as Netflix dominates

Apple iTunes takes just 4% of US digital video market as Netflix dominates - Page 2

post #41 of 113
Netflix is pretty good, but as soon as someone can bring to market an instant streaming service with more current/popular releases, they will get killed. It's really annoying how much isn't on streaming. But nobody else is any better, so meh.
post #42 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Unless you're willing to cut the cable cord, iTunes TV downloads and Amazon VOD TV downloads just don't make much sense for anything more than the occasional missed episode that you can't find on demand or on a network's web site.

Agreed. I so want to cut the cord but unfortunately I can't find a good (and legit) source for my Forumula 1, Moto GP, WSBK and AMA Supercross/Motocross fix. iTunes could pretty much cover eveything else I really care about which are Discovery & History Channel shows.
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
post #43 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Netflix is pretty good, but as soon as someone can bring to market an instant streaming service with more current/popular releases, they will get killed. It's really annoying how much isn't on streaming. But nobody else is any better, so meh.

Blame the studios. They certainly don't want to see the sales of silver discs keep declining. I'm actually suprised Netflix has been permitted to stream so much already.
post #44 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

If Doctor Who were the only thing, it would be worth it.

I hear you Oh and Black Adder.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #45 of 113
How do you measure monthly bandwidth usage?
post #46 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

the reasons for NetFlix success are simple - a great low price for the service and no time limits on watching anything. snailmail BD's and a huge DVD catalog (which can be ripped) add options for those looking for more. it's a great deal for consumers, hence its 60%+ market share.

all the more more expensive a la carte services like iTunes can offer for the home viewer is earlier access to the big hits. but only the impatient really need that. and you can just do it the few times you feel the urge. their biggest audience is probably mobil device users who are traveling and want to kill some time with a recent movie. there is no sales volume in that model. hence Apple's 4% share.

the problem is, the mediacos hate NetFlix. maybe even more than iTunes now. they see their product being sold too cheap and kicking back too little cash to them. and the telcos hate it too, because it uses them as "dumb pipes."

the new AT&T 150G monthly data cap is the first effort by these guys to get a bigger piece of NetFlix action. more telco limits will follow. and all the mediacos will demand sharply higher license fees when those contracts come up for renewal.

so the direct and indirect cost of NetFlix will be going up. a lot.

The only issue I see with the Netflix comparison is that iTunes streaming/dowloading doesn't account for the times a consumer re-watches a show/movie that they purchased. While our family streams a lot from Netflix some of that traffic is the kids watching the same episodes repeatedly. If we purchased this content that we purchased from iTunes it would only count once.

We don't currently buy TV shows from iTunes but we do occasionally buy new movies from iTunes. Basically if it's a movie we actually want to purchase we do it via iTunes not by purchasing a DVD. I have no interest in accumalting anymore CDs or DVDs.

Yes the telcos would love to marginalize "dumb pipes" which is usually at direct odds with what customers want and pay for.
post #47 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70 View Post

Blame the studios. They certainly don't want to see the sales of silver discs keep declining. I'm actually suprised Netflix has been permitted to stream so much already.

I blame AT&T as well. They call me 3 times a week hawking Uverse, which I won't buy, but I use their dsl to access Netflix and other sources. I would guess that the upcoming restrictions will affect me.

Any source of information on these new restrictions?
post #48 of 113
Quote:

And I wish we could get the iPlayer here in the States.

its coming this year.
post #49 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Top Gear will make iPlayer worth it if they post the episodes the next day. They have 2 series a year, which is nice. Best show on either side of the pond, IMO.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #50 of 113
The best part about iTunes movie rentals/sales is that they don't restrict access if you're traveling outside the US. As long as your account has a US credit card and address, you're good to go from any IP address. That's a huge plus. Trying to deal with a VPN and Netflix is extremely frustrating.

The worst part about iTunes is their selection is pretty terrible, and the UI is horrible.
post #51 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

You know you can pair your remotes, right? By default every device will see every Apple Remote, but you can pair them so that you won't accidentally trip the wrong machine .

Yeah, battiato pointed that out earlier. I have since clarified that particular problem. Thanks.
post #52 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Top Gear will make iPlayer worth it if they post the episodes the next day. They have 2 series a year, which is nice. Best show on either side of the pond, IMO.

Nah, that would be Doctor Who.
post #53 of 113
With 50 billion in the bank, Apple should really use 10 billion of that to buy Netflix.
post #54 of 113
This seems to suggest Amazon is having a hard time. How much longer do you think Amazon will hang around? What do they need to change?
post #55 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

250GB is merely adequate and should be the bare minimum. I can regularly hit that number, and in months during which I'm at home a lot (December and January) I can easily hit 350-450GB.

If ISPs are going to give us modems and plans that have the theoretical capability of downloading upwards of 1300GB a month, then they should expect customers to want to get full value for their money. There is no such thing as a "bandwidth hog." Arbitrary limits are simply that, arbitrary. There is no basis in logic for choosing that number.

Oh, give me a break. Do you leave your damn house, or do anything that involves not being on the internet? 250GB is MORE than reasonable- it's fucking fantastic, and those who pass it would be on the extreme outliers- and from a corporate standpoint, its reasonable to punish outliers that have such extreme usage. How many movies, application, games etc do you pirate per month to hit those numbers?

You know what my bandwidth cap is? Do you REALLY want to know? 4GB. That's 1.6% of the bandwidth that you're bitching about. Basically, you get more than DOUBLE my monthly cap PER DAY. And you don't want to know how much I pay for that, the speeds I get, nor how much I'm overcharged per MB when I go over (which is every month obviously). And no, there aren't any alternatives at reasonable prices. Before I click a link, watch a youtube vid, I actually have to stop and think if it will be worth my while and the hit on bandwidth. I'd kill to get even 10GB/month, to give some damn breathing room. So please, don't even dare bitch about 250GB.
post #56 of 113
Quote:

Yeah, 250GB is a LOT.

Anyways, it's not surprising that Netflix is far in the lead. I pay $9/month, and can watch as many movies on streaming as I want to. Granted, most of the ones I want to see they don't offer on streaming, but still.

The cable companies also have some streaming content available for free to subscribers. Of course their free offerings are pathetic unless you subscribe to a premium channel. Still with a number of free offerings in addition to their paid offerings, it is impressive that iTunes can compete.
post #57 of 113
Quote:

Sheesh I had forgotten all about that show. Do they still play that awesome base riff from Fleetwood Mac's The Chain at the start?
post #58 of 113
I won't buy movies from iTunes until DRM is removed or it at least becomes cross platform. Sadly, I think this would be need to be regulated by government, since the studios seem to think DRM is worthwhile.

I'd be more inclined to rent movies if the rental charges could be applied as a discount off the purchase price should I decide to purchase after renting. I'm only really interested in renting movies that I might buy, but I don't want to rent a movie if I'm going to end up buying it because then the rental money is wasted...

I think there is still a market for purchases, but they need to be offered in a more attractive package than they are right now.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #59 of 113
Quote:

Nah, that would be Doctor Who.

Haven't seen that since Tom Baker ... didn't it go down hill after that?
post #60 of 113
Quote:

No fees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxB5m_4VMs
post #61 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I cut the cable cord, entirely using iTunes. (Thankfully, the shows I wanted to watch were on iTunes.)

How's iTunes for getting live Japan disaster updates?

Quote:

iTunes fills a niche for me, as does Hulu, but I plan to resume using Netflix as my top video service. The selection cant be beat.

I can't find much that I want to download from Netflix. I think they have a pretty sparse offering compared to the dvd selection. Another issue I have is the poor download speed and frequent buffering. That alone makes it unwatchable for me.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

With 50 billion in the bank, Apple should really use 10 billion of that to buy Netflix.

I doubt if Netflix's agreements with the movie studios would survive a merger. In addition, Apple would have absolutely no interest in the physical disk storage/shipping/management part of the Netflix business. Don't expect this to happen.
post #63 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

For me it depends on what actually ends up being available. I would assume rights issues will prevent the full iPlayer being available in the US. For example, Ricky Gervais' productions are co-produced by the BBC and HBO, and I assume HBO will hold the exclusive rights to show that stuff in the US - I'm sure there will be a few things like that.

However, I'd be happy to pay $10 per month for Have I Got News For You and Question Time alone.

I know what you mean about the regional accents on BBC News. It's the outcome of 13 years of a Labour government in my opinion. They put pressure on the BBC to cover things other than London more (which in itself is a sensible goal), but the BBC interpreted that to mean they had to have regional accents, which if they are hard to understand, does not make sense.

There are many GREAT UK shows, but they tend to loose their impact when you no longer reside there. Question Time is great for the spectacle(!) but as most of the issues are local its hard to get too excited about it. Ditto HIGNFY.
Re the accents... crazy analysis imo. The accents are part of everyday language in the UK and not at all hard to understand. Brookie might be hard for North Americans but can you imagine it in Queen's English? Or is Brookie not BBC?
post #64 of 113
Quote:

Or they could spend a fraction of that to ensure that Apple TV becomes the de facto way of watching streamed content - netflix or not.
post #65 of 113
Quote:

Haven't seen that since Tom Baker ... didn't it go down hill after that?

Yes, but it retuned in full awsomeness when it was rebooted 5 years ago.
post #66 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not via iTunes... BBC News app streamed from my iPad to my livingroom Apple TV 2 using AirPlay. It's certianly no 2 hour news cycle if that's what you need though.
post #67 of 113
Quote:

How's iTunes for getting live Japan disaster updates

There are plenty of options (including live streams) available on the internet. Within iTunes itself there are plenty of news podcasts available (but admittedly, not live). There's nothing special about cable, other than the fact that cable providers (who are also ISPs) and the networks are purposely trying to hold internet distribution back to maintain the profit margins of their inferior service.
post #68 of 113
Even better news for US iPlayer subscribers: it's likely to incorporate ITV and Channel 4 content too. You'll be able to watch all of the main UK channels for less than Brits pay.
post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70 View Post

Agreed. I so want to cut the cord but unfortunately I can't find a good (and legit) source for my Forumula 1, Moto GP, WSBK and AMA Supercross/Motocross fix. iTunes could pretty much cover eveything else I really care about which are Discovery & History Channel shows.

I "cut the cord" after the last Formula 1 race...and will start it up later this month for Australia.

Best
post #70 of 113
Quote:

Yep. B'Ladder was great!
post #71 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.b View Post

subscription music = fail.

Subscription video = win.

It's just that simple, people...

a b s o l u t e y

+1
post #72 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Ageed. I'll pay $10 a month to watch movies because I watch them once then move on. But music I listen to over and over (and all over... Car, house, garage, gym, etc.) So I gotta own it!

C'mon, Apple! Give us unlimited movies and tv shows for $10 a month! if Netflix can so it, so can you!

Actually I think netflix might have trouble keeping the price that low in the long run. Just like Apple had trouble keeping music downloads at 99 cents.
post #73 of 113
Quote:

Comcast doesn't advertise it, but I believe there's a regulatory requirement for them to have a very low-tier of service. That's what I subscribe to. I pay $14/month (including tax) for everything available without a converter box. Basically that's channels 2-29 and gives me local network programming and a few others. Since I'm not a slave to my television the way most Americans are, that plus the iTunes content gives me more than enough and still allows me to receive live broadcasts, such as that of the Japan disaster (which I was, along with most of the world, watching on Friday morning).
post #74 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesag002 View Post

This seems to suggest Amazon is having a hard time. How much longer do you think Amazon will hang around? What do they need to change?

Having a hard time with what? Selling stuff? No. Streaming? I don't know if I'd say they're having a hard time, although one could argue that the very fact that they are giving content away to Prime members is an indication that they weren't making much to begin with and now offer it up as a fantastic benefit to an already great program (I'm in my third year of Prime membership and loved it even before they offered up free video content).
post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Subscription music = Fail.

Subscription video = Win.

It's just that simple, people...

Perhaps it is for you. I'd love to have a service like the Zune Pass or Rhapsody-To-Go available on my iPod. I live without it, but I used to have Rhapsody and loved it.

I suppose if my listening tastes were limited to the latest top-ten artists I'd be able to buy everything I want since the record companies only spoon feed the public a handful of albums a month, but since my collection currently consists of thousands of albums I've collected over the years, I'd love to be able to access that level of diversity without spending thousands of dollars per year on music.
post #76 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Comcast doesn't advertise it, but I believe there's a regulatory requirement for them to have a very low-tier of service. That's what I subscribe to. I pay $14/month (including tax) for everything available without a converter box. Basically that's channels 2-29 and gives me local network programming and a few others.

I have learned that to get the absolute best HD picture quality for local channels you need to use an HD antenna, assuming you are no more than 30 miles away from the broadcast source and have an unobstructed view as well. I plan to do this soon to augment my cable. Unfortunately, although I don't consider myself addicted to TV like some others, I do follow a few professional sports so live broadcasts are important in that regard. Other than that I am sort of a world news and science documentary aficionado so I end up paying for almost the whole cable package since you can't order Ã* la carte.

post #77 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

250GB is merely adequate and should be the bare minimum. I can regularly hit that number, and in months during which I'm at home a lot (December and January) I can easily hit 350-450GB.

If ISPs are going to give us modems and plans that have the theoretical capability of downloading upwards of 1300GB a month, then they should expect customers to want to get full value for their money. There is no such thing as a "bandwidth hog." Arbitrary limits are simply that, arbitrary. There is no basis in logic for choosing that number.

Sure, and let's just have unlimited electricity so I can leave my lights on all the time and unlimited water so I can leave my facuets running all day. How about unlimited gas so I don't have to turn off my car.

Welcome to the real world. If you are using more data, you should be paying more becasue the ISP has to add more bandwidth, more lines, more switches, more routers, etc, to support YOUR habits. Not mine, nor that of most other people. Why should we pay for all those equipment upgrades just to support your usage? You use 20 times more data than I do. Why should I support your addiction?
post #78 of 113
Quote:

With a mkt cap of $11.5B, a forward P/E in the mid-to-high 30s -- which, therefore, bakes in a ridiculously high long-run growth rate -- and a premium that will have to be paid on top of that, I don't think it takes much to see that Apple would be wasting its money. And I don't think Apple will.
post #79 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

However, charging by use is only fair if they charge a fair rate. The incremental cost per Gb for a network provider is close to nothing (in the rage of cents, not dollars), so if they were to charge, for example, $5 per extra 100Gb, that would be fair. $50 per 100Gb would not.

the point isn't to make money (well, obviously to an extent of course it is) - but the real point is to discourage abusive download behavior. So $5 is not much of a deterrent, whereas $50 is more likely to be.
post #80 of 113
Not surprising to read this headline. I got the Apple TV last November, and the only reason why i pulled the trigger was because it had Netflix and YouTube, and a direct link to iTunes. However, it was Netflix that put us over the edge. Otherwise, it would have been Roku for our household. I would say about 90% of our aTV use is Netflix.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple iTunes takes just 4% of US digital video market as Netflix dominates