or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple delays launch of iPad 2 in Japan in wake of earthquake disaster

Apple delays launch of iPad 2 in Japan in wake of earthquake disaster

post #1 of 44
Though Japan was originally scheduled to be one of a number of countries where the iPad 2 will launch next week, Apple announced on Wednesday that it has delayed the launch while the country works to recover from the recent earthquake and tsunami disaster.

The iPad 2 was supposed to go on sale in Japan on March 25. But on Tuesday, the delay was announced, and a new sale date was not revealed, according to Reuters.

"We are delaying the launch of the iPad 2 in Japan while the country and our teams focus on recovering from the recent disaster," Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris reportedly said.

The iPad 2 is still scheduled to go on sale March 25 in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K. Apple has said that availability for many more countries around the world will occur in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date.

As Apple gears up for an international launch, the company has struggled to meet demand in the U.S., where the iPad 2 went on sale last Friday. Apple is believed to be completely sold out of its touchscreen tablet in all of its own retail stores, as well as partners' locations.

In response to the disaster in Japan, Apple over the weekend began accepting Red Cross donations through iTunes. Through a page devoted to the tragedy (iTunes link), users can donate in amounts of $5, $10, $25, $50, $100 and $200. One-hundred percent of contributions will go to the American Red Cross.

An unnamed Apple Store manager also revealed that Apple retail stores in Japan have become a rallying point for citizens following last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami. Crowds have reportedly flocked to Apple's stores to stay connected, gain Internet access, and recharge their smartphones in order to make calls and reach loved ones.
post #2 of 44
Makes sense, iPads might not be the priority there. Plus, deliveries and infrastructure could be better used for relief supplies.
post #3 of 44
never mind
post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Makes sense, iPads might not be the priority there. Plus, deliveries and infrastructure could be better used for relief supplies.

I completely agree. In this time of tragedy, it is more important to get supplies where they need to be rather to put an extra burden on the infrastructure with iPad deliveries.
post #5 of 44
There are lines enough as people use the Apple Store for communications, charging their phones, getting news, and apparently even sleeping there (for employees). No need to add to the chaos right now.
post #6 of 44
With rolling blackouts, gas shortages, food shortages in places, not to mention all of the other stuff happening with the reactors, there's no way that they could have launched I think.

What Apple is doing with the donations through iTunes is fine and all, but I'm surprised that they haven't donated anything themselves yet, like some other big companies have already done. Maybe they could match every donation made through iTunes. Even Charlie Sheen has donated a portion of his ticket sales.
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

With rolling blackouts, gas shortages, food shortages in places, not to mention all of the other stuff happening with the reactors, there's no way that they could have launched I think.

What Apple is doing with the donations through iTunes is fine and all, but I'm surprised that they haven't donated anything themselves yet, like some other big companies have already done. Maybe they could match every donation made through iTunes. Even Charlie Sheen has donated a portion of his ticket sales.

Not all companies choose to announce their givings. It is possible that Apple and many other comapnies are giving without announcing to the media.
post #8 of 44
apple is a quiet giver and does it regularly.

medical donations are big including help given to finance hospitals.

steve jobs is sub rosa and wants to stay that way. the only time he wants to broadcast something is when he wants to promote a new product such as the ipad2.
post #9 of 44
The only thing the bothers me about this decision is that there might be a lot of people in Japan who could really use the distraction an iPad 2 could bring. Not everyone can help the recovery all the time.
post #10 of 44
Quote:

Have there really been rolling blackouts?

I heard that the blackouts were planned but turned out to be unnecessary. People are voluntarily limiting their energy usage and others are already cut off anyway.

This isn't meant to diminish the scale of the tragedy... just trying to get the details right.
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Have there really been rolling blackouts?

I'm not sure if they're voluntary or mandatory yet, but I did find this article.

Toshiba has halted production of flash-memory chips for the iPad 2 and Nintendo 3DS. “They are reporting that their supply could be (down) as much as 20% in the next couple months,” says analyst Dale Ford at market research firm iSuppli.

Rolling blackouts could take toll on Japan’s economy
http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...-blackouts.htm

Actually, they are in effect:

Due to the damaged power infrastructure, Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) has announced rolling blackouts across its service region.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/japan...#ixzz1Gh8JSjUB[
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

there might be a lot of people in Japan who could really use the distraction

That may be true but one truck delivering iPads is one less truck available for delivering food and other essential supplies for the survivors.

There were many vehicles wrecked during the catastrophe so it's likely every spare truck needs to be pressed into service for essential supplies.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

The only thing the bothers me about this decision is that there might be a lot of people in Japan who could really use the distraction an iPad 2 could bring. Not everyone can help the recovery all the time.

Really?

I'm pretty sure the *last* thing on anyone's mind in Japan at the moment is buying a new iPad.
post #14 of 44
It's great that the Apple stores in Japan are helping people in need.

Anyway, at the moment, Apple can sell all the iPads they can produce without selling any in Japan. That will surely continue to be the case at least until the next round of international launches following March 25th.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Really?

I'm pretty sure the *last* thing on anyone's mind in Japan at the moment is buying a new iPad.

I'm pretty sure that you would be surprised at what is on their mind...
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm pretty sure that you would be surprised at what is on their mind...

I've to agree. Some might even think "I wish I could just used the iPad2 once before the radiation consumed me...."
post #17 of 44
Quote:

I'm not sure if they're voluntary or mandatory yet, but I did find this article.

Toshiba has halted production of flash-memory chips for the iPad 2 and Nintendo 3DS. They are reporting that their supply could be (down) as much as 20% in the next couple months, says analyst Dale Ford at market research firm iSuppli.

Rolling blackouts could take toll on Japans economy
http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...-blackouts.htm

Actually, they are in effect:

Due to the damaged power infrastructure, Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) has announced rolling blackouts across its service region.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/japan...#ixzz1Gh8JSjUB[

I'm curious if these ever actually took effect.

On the news last night they specifically said that the announced rolling blackouts never happened.

Its tough to know for sure yet.
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPad 2 is still scheduled to go on sale March 25 in ... Canada ... Mexico ...

With stores sold out, and online purchases delayed by 4-5 weeks, I wonder how many Americans will be crossing the borders to try and pick one up... I live in Buffalo, and would definitely consider a short trip to Toronto, or a suburb thereof...
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I'm curious if these ever actually took effect.

I think that they did, because this article which I just found is from March 16, so it's pretty new.

TOKYO : Tokyo Electric Power on Tuesday imposed further power outages affecting around five million Japanese households, including in parts of the capital, following last week's massive earthquake.

The company plans to continue the rolling power cuts Wednesday.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...116760/1/.html
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

They are not necessarily substitutes. Moreover, it's not reasonable to suppose that the supply chain and customer chain in a $5 trillion economy will come to a standstill because of this. Even if it does, perhaps for no more than a couple of weeks.

IMHO, here is a huge over-reaction going on in markets (just like the nuclear issue is being totally hyped by an uninformed press).

All that said, for purely 'the optics might not look good' reasons, it might be a sensible decision on Apple's part.
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

With stores sold out, and online purchases delayed by 4-5 weeks, I wonder how many Americans will be crossing the borders to try and pick one up... I live in Buffalo, and would definitely consider a short trip to Toronto, or a suburb thereof...

Canadians don't like iPads or something? I have no idea, but don't you think that they're going to be in demand there too? Apple fanatics will form long lines no matter where they are from I think.
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

IMHO, here is a huge over-reaction going on in markets (just like the nuclear issue is being totally hyped by an uninformed press).

I agree with that. Now is a good time to buy, when prices are lower.
post #23 of 44
Quote:

Don't forget to let us all know how much YOU donated.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

I've to agree. Some might even think "I wish I could just used the iPad2 once before the radiation consumed me

I'm sure the Japanese are more interested in getting their hands on some KI tablets at this point.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

txt REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10

post #26 of 44
Quote:

What difference does it make. And it's none of your business if it's 5 dollars, 20 dollars or whatever. I'm not a big multi national, billion dollar company.
post #27 of 44
Quote:

What difference does it make. And it's none of your business if it's 5 dollars, 20 dollars or whatever. I'm not a big multi national, billion dollar company.

Don't forget that companies are donating their shareholder's money. Personally I'd rather choose where my money goes.
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Don't forget that companies are donating their shareholder's money. Personally I'd rather choose where my money goes.

I don't own any Apple stock, so it doesn't affect me personally, but I know what you mean.

But if somebody is going to think of it entirely in monetary terms, then it could be argued that it's a good PR move and good advertisement, which in turn only benefits the company in the long run.

I wonder what all of the Motorola stock holders thought about that Xoom super bowl commercial.

And what about all of the Xoom commercials that I constantly see on tv right now. They're really pushing that thing hard.
post #29 of 44
Quote:

I don't own any Apple stock, so it doesn't affect me personally, but I know what you mean.

But if somebody is going to think of it entirely in monetary terms, then it could be argued that it's a good PR move and good advertisement, which in turn only benefits the company in the long run.

I wonder what all of the Motorola stock holders thought about that Xoom super bowl commercial.

And what about all of the Xoom commercials that I constantly see on tv right now. They're really pushing that thing hard.

What's a Xoom? and a Motorola?
post #30 of 44
Quote:

Don't knock the commercial. That commercial was spot on about Xoom. It'll be one Xoom in the wild for every thousand iPad or something.
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An unnamed Apple Store manager also revealed that Apple retail stores in Japan have become a rallying point for citizens following last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami. Crowds have reportedly flocked to Apple's stores to stay connected, gain Internet access, and recharge their smartphones in order to make calls and reach loved ones.

Since none of the Apple stores are anywhere close to the disaster zone I think this might be a PR statement. Apple stores are always packed. I have several business sources in the southern part of Japan and they have informed us that they are completely unaffected by the disaster in the north. Not that they are dispassionate about the plight of their northern neighbors, but they have issued a memo, that everything is business as normal in the south which is where most of the major manufacturing is located.

Admittedly, I do not understand Japanese culture very well despite having worked with them on a daily basis for more than 15 years. I am only repeating what was communicated to me on Monday directly from Japan.

post #32 of 44
Quote:

No, but you are a big something or other. Where did that comment about Apple not contributing come from?
post #33 of 44
Quote:

Where did that comment about Apple not contributing come from?

It came from the inner depths of my mind, where else?

And I didn't state that they did not contribute. I was wondering if they did, since I had not read anything about it at all, and I had been reading a lot about other companies who did. So I was curious if they did or not. If they did contribute and it's a big secret, then good for them.
post #34 of 44
Quote:

And I didn't state that they did not contribute. I was wondering if they did, since I had not read anything about it at all, and I had been reading a lot about other companies who did. So I was curious if they did or not. If they did contribute and it's a big secret, then good for them.

Quote:

No, but you are a big something or other. Where did that comment about Apple not contributing come from?

it's been a talking point on the anti-Apple sites for a while now. "Apple doesn't give anything to charity!"
post #35 of 44
Quote:

Really? Could you name these companies, provide link to their press releases etc of this donation, as well as the monetary value? Thanks.

Also, I GUARANTEE that is Apple publically announced a donation, most here and throughout the web would be lambasting it as a cynical PR move.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

it's been a talking point on the anti-Apple sites for a while now. "Apple doesn't give anything to charity!"

I hope that nobody accuses me of being anti-Apple.

I do visit anti-Apple sites sometimes, like when I want to read about what kind of excuses they're making for the Xoom and to read their opinions and comparisons of the iPad 2. It's pure comedy gold.

I don't recall ever reading about the talking point that Apple doesn't give anything to charity, but I don't doubt you. The people who hate Apple, do so with a passion.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Really? Could you name these companies, provide link to their press releases etc of this donation, as well as the monetary value? Thanks.

Also, I GUARANTEE that is Apple publically announced a donation, most here and throughout the web would be lambasting it as a cynical PR move.

Thus far, Canon, Panasonic, and Sony have each pledged ¥300 million ($3.67 million) in donations. Sony is also matching employee contributions as will Mitsubishi whos donating a whopping ¥500 million ($6.1 million) in aid. On the equipment side, Sony is donating some 30,000 radios to relief efforts while Panasonic is providing 10,000 radios, 10,000 flashlights, and 500,000 batteries. NEC, Kyocera, and Epson are each donating ¥100 million in funds, computers, and telecoms and IT equipment.

http://www.iphone2die4.com/2011/03/1...ly-of-gadgets/
post #38 of 44
Here you say you are surprised Apple isn't doing what other companies have done:

Quote:

Here you deny that you said what you said above:

Quote:

Here you list in boldface the 'other companies' part of your original surprise. You say nothing about the fact that they are all Japanese companies:

Quote:

Thus far, Canon, Panasonic, and Sony have each pledged ¥300 million ($3.67 million) in donations. Sony is also matching employee contributions as will Mitsubishi who’s donating a whopping ¥500 million ($6.1 million) in aid. On the equipment side, Sony is donating some 30,000 radios to relief efforts while Panasonic is providing 10,000 radios, 10,000 flashlights, and 500,000 batteries. NEC, Kyocera, and Epson are each donating ¥100 million in funds, computers, and telecoms and IT equipment.

http://www.iphone2die4.com/2011/03/1...ly-of-gadgets/

Your original ungentlemanly calling out of Apple for not being charitable, and your gratuitous advice to them on how they could run a charitable campaign, were both examples of the thoughtless logorrhea you exhibit in this forum. Stop littering. Or spill another 32 ounce coke in your keyboard.
post #39 of 44
Quote:

You say nothing about the fact that they are all Japanese companies:

I know that they're all Japanese companies. Apple has a big presence in Japan. Are you suggesting that only native Japanese companies should donate?

It's clear that you disagree with me, but you're not going to get me to change my mind. And guess what, you don't have to agree with me. It wouldn't be the first time on the internet that somebody disagrees with somebody else.
post #40 of 44
Quote:

I know that they're all Japanese companies. Apple has a big presence in Japan. Are you suggesting that only native Japanese companies should donate?

It's clear that you disagree with me, but you're not going to get me to change my mind. And guess what, you don't have to agree with me. It wouldn't be the first time on the internet that somebody disagrees with somebody else.

No, he's not suggesting that only Japanese companies SHOULD donate. He's simply stating a fact, which you wanted to brush under the carpet. You were speaking as if Apple was one of the only large corporations who hasnt announced donations, when in fact, not a SINGLE company that isn't Japanese has done so. This isn't about who should do what- it's about you misrepresenting and muddling reality to further your opinion/agenda. Yes, Japan needs all the help it can get, and large donations help- I certainly wouldnt be opposed to Apple doing so. But singling out Apple by comparing it's lack of donation with these companies is not all that honest and disingenuous, since it's an American company, and in fairness should be compared with other American companies and their donations, or lack thereof.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple delays launch of iPad 2 in Japan in wake of earthquake disaster
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple delays launch of iPad 2 in Japan in wake of earthquake disaster