or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Display expert says iPad 2 LCD nearly as good as iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Display expert says iPad 2 LCD nearly as good as iPhone 4 - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

In 12 months from now we're probably going to be hearing a lot of moaning and whining.

Bahwawawa..........I'm not getting an iPad3, I'm waiting for the iPad4 and the retina display.

As I said on a previous thread, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

The iPhone 4 resolution is nothing amazing, it's only 960 x 640. The thing that makes it special is that they managed to pack that into a little 3.5" midget screen.

As for the "display expert", he doesn't sound like much of an expert. I think that the iPad2 display is pretty good, but to claim that there's little difference between 132 PPI and 326 PPI is just insane.

Well yes, your right about that the 132 vs 326 PPI is a noticeable difference.. as well as there will always be assorted moans & groans why people will not get an iPad, for whatever reason they pull out of ...their..um..hat(?)

I think it was a brilliant marketing and tech ploy by Apple to do the Retina Dance on the iPhone. However... what other tech advances are around the corner that could supersede it, and be more useful and profitable for the iPad?

AMOLED possibly, or a screen with a finer dot-pitch, or maybe shake it all up and get true Resolution Independence out the door with OSX and iOS. That's really what I've been waiting for, considering some of the frameworks are already in Snow Leopard, but just aren't being utilized yet.

As we've been witnessing for quite a while now, Apple will be the first to use and implement new-tech in their devices... WHEN... the opportunity and the ROI price-to-performance issue is to their advantage to do so. Not before... and rarely after, unless they're waiting for the next big thing around the corner.

Just maybe, this is one of those times where they're waiting to "leap-frog" what they're using now on a completely different device.

The myth and stated claim of the haters, has always been "it's just a big iPhone or iPod touch". I would say that statement couldn't be farther from the truth, or the reality where Apple is truly pointing the iPad.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

There are many display characteristics. Brightness, color accuracy, viewing angle. PPI is just one thing, and he qualified his statement in that regard.

When it comes to all of those characteristics, then I agree, the iPad screen is very good. I was playing with one in the Apple store a few days ago.

Here's the iPad screen compared to the Xoom screen, taken from arstechnica.

post #43 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I have my own selfish and wishful desires for a "2K" ipad display as well.

The addition of "1080 support" on ipad2 is promising for ipad3's possible native screen rez bump however. Who's voting for iPad Pro? Anyone?

I also have mysterious, selfish reasons for a 2K screen. I think it's going to happen, maybe in the Fall, maybe next year. But with both Gruber's and Siegler's speculating, I'm keeping fingers crossed for a September surprise. It's needed not only for text, but also for certain kinds of photo and cinema display.
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

....
There are many display characteristics. Brightness, color accuracy, viewing angle. PPI is just one thing, and he qualified his statement in that regard.

Something that the Anandtech and Ars reviews noted as far superior to the Xoom.

Just sayin'...
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I also have mysterious, selfish reasons for a 2K screen. I think it's going to happen, maybe in the Fall, maybe next year. But with both Gruber's and Siegler's speculating, I'm keeping fingers crossed for a September surprise. It's needed not only for text, but also for certain kinds of photo and cinema display.

Given the BOM estimates of the iPad 2's touchscreen display from a couple of supply chain research firms and witnessing Apple's inability to keep up with demand, it is highly unlikely that all manufacturers combined on this planet can furnish Apple with an ample supply of Retina-caliber 9.7" displays at a price point that Apple would need to maintain gross margin on this product line. Not this year, probably not next year either.
post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

... Let's be a bit more objective about the statement he made. He said 326 ppi was overkill, but that doesn't mean he said it wasn't better than 132. Could Apple have made it 250 ppi and achieved the same great display qualities. Would you notice the difference between 250 and 326? (I'm just using 250 as an example. Maybe we use 280 or 300.)

So he said 326 was "overkill" but used for "app compatibility". So Apple could have used 280 ppi or 300 ppi and achieved the same stunning results, but they went to 326 because it scales better to the iPad dimensions to make scaling iPhone apps to iPad screen easier. ...

Let's be totally objective about everything he's said. He clearly has some irrational chip on his shoulder in regard to Apple, so he chooses to word even positive things in negative terms in an attempt to cast everything in the worst light possible. Calling it 'overkill' is just his way of saying it's fantastic.
post #47 of 83
One thing I don't understand about the post. They state that the ambient light sensor locks the screen brightness and does not change said brightness until its put to sleep and then brought out of it again. I have an iPad original and an iPhone4 and the screen brightness changes all the time by itself depending on (wait for it) the ambient light!

So colour me confused...

On a side note, who manufactures the displays for iOS devices? LG?

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #48 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

More like "I can't afford the iPad 2 and my Mum won't buy me one either, so I'm going to find some picky reason to justify to myself why I don't really want it anyway."

See also: The Fox and the Grapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exactly. Because the person doesn't have the money to buy an iPad, he badmouths it. This is called "sour grapes".

You two should stop there. It is actually called being smart with your money. The iPad does not work for everyone. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you should spend it on every Apple product released. It kind of sounds like a dig on your parts to make you feel better about your purchase (if you bought one).

I have been spoiled by the iPhone 4. My use case is mostly for e-mail, pdf and ebook reading with web surfing thrown in. I am not a gamer so have no real use for the larger screen size in playing games but it would be nice for reading. Comparing font clarity on the iPad 2 in store to my iPhone 4 was underwhelming to say the least.

The iPhone 4 works "for me." There is no need for me to spend my money on an iPad just to have another Apple product. That is what I call making informed decisions. I decide what works and does not work for my needs.
post #49 of 83
Does the technology exist to run the ipad at the equivalent dpi to the ipone 4 at ipad sizes?

Dont Desktops have dual slot cpus and dual gpu solutions that get extremely hot to run things at 30fps on those resolutions now?

I can see rendering webpages fine but anything that requries more would need a lot of cpu power i would think.
post #50 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exactly. Because the person doesn't have the money to buy an iPad, he badmouths it. This is called "sour grapes".

Gotta agree on this one, I encountered a person just like that when I bought the first iPad, and when I told him that it's a never ending game of waiting for the better and newer one after another, the person just snapped and mad for lousy reasons..

I was glad, and am still is to have bought an iPad when it's finally available here. And I will buy the iPad 2 when it's officially sold here.
post #51 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I can see rendering webpages fine but anything that requries more would need a lot of cpu power i would think.

It certainly would. The people wishing for a retina display on the iPad don't understand this apparently. The iPad would need a pretty powerful GPU to run that resolution with an acceptable performance. These same people would probably complain that their new iPad retina model only runs their game at 7 FPS.
post #52 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Gotta agree on this one.

There's a lot of people like that. They need to justify their actions by inventing fantasy scenarios like saying that I'm not going to buy an iPad 2 because it doesn't have a retina display. There's a lot of legitimate reasons for not buying an iPad 2, but not having a retina display is not one of them. Somebody might already own the first iPad, or maybe somebody simply doesn't need a tablet.

It's the same psychological disorder which causes certain people who bought the Xoom to claim that it has a better display than the iPad and to invent other fictitious reasons. They are fabricating facts and brainwashing themselves in order to feel better about their mistake. They are living in a state of denial.
post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Does the technology exist to run the ipad at the equivalent dpi to the ipone 4 at ipad sizes?

Dont Desktops have dual slot cpus and dual gpu solutions that get extremely hot to run things at 30fps on those resolutions now?

I can see rendering webpages fine but anything that requries more would need a lot of cpu power i would think.

Oh I do believe Apple already have the technology, but to actually build it for mass production? Doubt it..
post #54 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple 1984 View Post

Whatever works for you dude. Same song and dance. My point made.

If your point is that you add no value to the discussion, I would agree.

I have no idea what you are prattling on about or what you think you are dismissing but I own and am very happy with the original iPad. Irregardless (chew onthat grammar nazis) of my ownership, like/dislike, technical feasability or other contrived "objections" the fact is the iPad would benefit from a higher resolution display.

That doesn't mean the iPad 2 is a flop either.

Talk about people getting defensive and their panties in a bunch over nothing...
post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There's a lot of people like that. They need to justify their actions by inventing fantasy scenarios like saying that I'm not going to buy an iPad 2 because it doesn't have a retina display. There's a lot of legitimate reasons for not buying an iPad 2, but not having a retina display is not one of them. Somebody might already own the first iPad, or maybe somebody simply doesn't need a tablet.

It's the same psychological disorder which causes certain people who bought the Xoom to claim that it has a better display than the iPad and to invent other fictitious reasons. They are fabricating facts and brainwashing themselves in order to feel better about their mistake. They are living in a state of denial.

Exactly.
post #56 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, it is a matter of semantics, entirely. It's a 'bug', by the definition of the word in this context, only if it doesn't work as intended. If it works as intended but you don't like the way it's designed to work, it's simply something you don't like, or, at most, a poorly designed feature. While this may seem a bit pedantic, it's also not useful to dilute the meaning of words so that they in fact lose all useful meaning.

Awesome
post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple 1984 View Post

I agree. I heard much the same song and dance when HDTVs arrived but resolution did make a difference to consumers. --Even in the much debated 720p - 1080p comparisons. Higher res always won the day.

I'm sure that you are right that the majority of customers decided to purchase 1080p TVs instead of 720p. However, I bet that if customers had to choose TV sets without knowing this spec (1080p vs. 720p) that there would be a pretty equal split. Most customers would not be able to tell the difference in person, even if the two sets were side by side. Sure, some customers would be able to figure it out, but most wouldn't. People often buy the highest spec, just because it is the highest spec.
post #58 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

I am not buying a pad until there is a retina display on it.

you could be waiting quite a long time. it's not just a matter if the display manufacturer can make a higher density display, but one of a number such as: larger, high density display an order of magnitude larger than the iPhone 4; capacitive, thin, light, low power usage (2x resolution is 4x number of pixels which taxes the rendering engine, memory usage, and power drain to light them all up), high yields, low cost (customer affordability), and high quality. If all of these features were available now, meeting Apple's high standards, I would bet that the iPad would already include it.

If the world is lucky, we'll get it in two to five years. If we're not lucky, well....I recommend that you get one now, and upgrade later.
post #59 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Soneira is quite simply an idiot, and I'm ashamed of AI for wasting space with this no-talent hack's sputtering garbage.

iPhone 4 overkill? Lol no

iPad almost as good? Lol No

Anti aliasing? Wtf? What an idiot


Spot on. This is the same prat who did the biased hatchet job on the Nexus One saying it only had a 16 bit display, when in fact the tard was only measuring the bit density used by an App. Why AI continue to quote this boof heads inane ramblings is beyond me.
post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There's a lot of people like that. They need to justify their actions by inventing fantasy scenarios like saying that I'm not going to buy an iPad 2 because it doesn't have a retina display. There's a lot of legitimate reasons for not buying an iPad 2, but not having a retina display is not one of them. Somebody might already own the first iPad, or maybe somebody simply doesn't need a tablet.

It's the same psychological disorder which causes certain people who bought the Xoom to claim that it has a better display than the iPad and to invent other fictitious reasons. They are fabricating facts and brainwashing themselves in order to feel better about their mistake. They are living in a state of denial.


I think you're overreacting a bit. Who cares if any random person doesn't want an iPad? Let them go buy a competing product. As long as I get to have my favorite Apple gadgets and gizmos, then I could care less if other people dislike Apple and/or their products, or even if they want to spread lies or troll here for drama. Who gives a crap?

If someone says, "I'm not buying an iPad because it is made by Apple", then this is a ridiculous reason. But, if they say that the only reason is that it doesn't have a retina display, then this is valid. If they really want this feature, then let them wait. Who cares? That just leaves more iPads for the rest of us who do want one.

Likewise, you need to acknowledge that not everyone who doesn't want an iPad is deluding themselves. It isn't for everyone. And it is better that people realize this now and not waste their money. Especially considering that if they do decide to snatch up an iPad on a whim during launch when they really don't need or want one, then one loyal Apple fan will be without their iPad. They should go to those who really want them. I think there should be a way to ban resellers too. It should be illegal to resell items like this for profit.
post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Let's be totally objective about everything he's said. He clearly has some irrational chip on his shoulder in regard to Apple, so he chooses to word even positive things in negative terms in an attempt to cast everything in the worst light possible. Calling it 'overkill' is just his way of saying it's fantastic.

I have to ask if you reached that conclusion based on the AI article, or if you read the original article?

In the original, the author states clearly in the introdcution:

Quote:
There is no question that a higher ppi is better, but the real question is whether the iPad 2 delivers good display performance when considering its price point and battery power constraints (and also availability in sufficient quantities for Apple).

But of course, AI didn't include that in their article. They selectively quoted only those juicy bits that would set off the faithful into furious rants. The original article was about defending Apple's use of a lower density display and not using a Retina Display in the iPad 2. And his conclusion is that Apple did, in fact, use a very good display in the iPad 2.

And then in the results he says:

Quote:
As we show in the Comparison Table below the display on the iPad 2 delivers almost identical performance to the impressive iPhone 4 Retina Display.

And you somehow reach the conclusion that he has a chip on is shoulder against Apple?
post #62 of 83
Umm so I actually went and checked one out when I was getting my wife's iphone replaced for a second time and this article is.....

Horseshiiiiite.

Sorry the two are not even close. Also the camera on that iPad 2...SUCKS. It is a grainy pixel fest.
post #63 of 83
I don't see Apple doing anything with anti-aliasing. If anti-aliasing is added or improved, customers wont' be as inclined to buy the next generation iPad with its retina display.
post #64 of 83
If we agree that the significantly higher ppi in the retina display really does matter, then how about the difference between 6 bit per color displays vs 8 bit per color displays? Or TN vs IPS displays? There was a while, and maybe still today, when Mac users claimed these things don't matter.
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Irregardless (chew onthat grammar nazis)

what does "irregardless" mean?
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Same here, but even then I may not buy one. Why can't I attach files to an email from Apple's default email program? Let's take pictures for example. I can't reply and attach something to an email chain. No, I have to open the photo app first, browse for the pic and then choose share, which creates a whole new email. Dumb. Granted this is an iOS limitation and not an iPad limitation, but it's still basic functionality.

I guess I am one of those who has no need for a tablet. I'll stick to my trusty 17" MacBook Pro.

You can copy/paste a photo into an email. Press your finger on the image until the copy balloon comes up; tap the word copy so it turns blue. Go back to your email and hit reply and paste the image in.
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

You can copy/paste a photo into an email. Press your finger on the image until the copy balloon comes up; tap the word copy so it turns blue. Go back to your email and hit reply and paste the image in.

What I said earlier
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I have to ask if you reached that conclusion based on the AI article, or if you read the original article?

In the original, the author states clearly in the introdcution: [...]

But of course, AI didn't include that in their article. They selectively quoted only those juicy bits that would set off the faithful into furious rants. The original article was about defending Apple's use of a lower density display and not using a Retina Display in the iPad 2. And his conclusion is that Apple did, in fact, use a very good display in the iPad 2.

And then in the results he says: [...]

And you somehow reach the conclusion that he has a chip on is shoulder against Apple?

Actually, the conclusion was largely based on his earlier nonsense regarding the "retina display". But, I may have been wrong. It seems his "inane ramblings" extend to other products as well, so it may just be that he's seeking attention because he's feeling overlooked and undervalued in his career, or to compensate for some other feeling of inadequacy.
post #69 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

what does "irregardless" mean?

It means "not without regard".
post #70 of 83
Get more ipads!!!!!!
post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Spot on. This is the same prat who did the biased hatchet job on the Nexus One saying it only had a 16 bit display, when in fact the tard was only measuring the bit density used by an App. Why AI continue to quote this boof heads inane ramblings is beyond me.

I think YOU'RE the IDI*T!!!!

You, another Apple hater worhtless geek out to bash anything Apple related just because the phandroid geekdom is losing to Apple on ALL fronts!!!!!

Now with the verizon iPhone, lets see how the geek tech journalists try to skew the numbers about androids fictitious lead now???? How will they lie, cheat, bite, claw and steal numbers in every dying effort to show android is somehow hanging on while Apple destroys it when numbers are taken into account!!!!!!
And now this iPad 2 revolution is STOMPING the tablet competition!!!!! On every front also!!!!! EVERYONE with a working brain has clearly hands down labled the iPad 2 the tablet of the year!!!!!!! And the best tablet on the market!!!! Except you, and a few other phandroid geeks crying in your corner amongst yourselves because android simply just CANNOT compete!!!!
post #72 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

If your point is that you add no value to the discussion, I would agree.

I have no idea what you are prattling on about or what you think you are dismissing but I own and am very happy with the original iPad. Irregardless (chew onthat grammar nazis) of my ownership, like/dislike, technical feasability or other contrived "objections" the fact is the iPad would benefit from a higher resolution display.

That doesn't mean the iPad 2 is a flop either.

Talk about people getting defensive and their panties in a bunch over nothing...

Boy, you really are a df. I own an original iPad too and am quite happy with it. I also believe the iPad would benefit from a higher res display. Please refrain from commenting until you reach age 6 or achieve an IQ greater than a cat.
On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like 1984.
Reply
On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like 1984.
Reply
post #73 of 83
I planned to buy the iPad 2 as soon as it was released, but luckily looked at one before making the purchase, because I would have been returning it. It is amazingly thin, light, and fast, but the screen is terrible compared to the iPhone 4's retina display. I wanted the iPad first and foremost for PDF's to assist with doing research instead of wasting paper printing hundreds of pages or having them open in a second window on the computer, but after looking at the texts of a few samples in iBooks and downloading some of my own PDF's I couldn't even consider making the purchase.. Even the text in Pages is not usable in my opinion it gives me a headache..

Maybe next year I'll be able to make the leap. \
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

what does "irregardless" mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It means "not without regard".

Actually, irregardless = regardless. It does not mean not regardless (and therefore does not mean "not without regard")

Yes, that's an incorrect use if the prefix "ir", but most references now accept that irregardless = regardless.
post #75 of 83
"Display Expert" ... yeah right.
post #76 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm waiting for iPad 3 before any upgrade. The current DPI is just brutal. I struggle to do any reading on an iPad as text looks truly dreadful unless blown up to jumbo sizes.

Hopefully by next year GPUs will have improved enough to allow a doubling of the DPI while retaining the same or better performance.

Love it when these kind of exaggerations appear. Unless you have a sensitive eye condition of some kind, the iPad at 132 pixels per inch, is very close to the Kindle DX at 150 pixels per inch, and its made for reading books and not much else.

Your eye conditions shouldn't factor into commentary.
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Actually, irregardless = regardless. It does not mean not regardless (and therefore does not mean "not without regard")

Yes, that's an incorrect use if the prefix "ir", but most references now accept that irregardless = regardless.

Only among those who say 'noocyoolar'.
post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Love it when these kind of exaggerations appear. Unless you have a sensitive eye condition of some kind, the iPad at 132 pixels per inch, is very close to the Kindle DX at 150 pixels per inch, and its made for reading books and not much else.

Your eye conditions shouldn't factor into commentary.

I wouldn't read on a Kindle either.
post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm waiting for iPad 3 before any upgrade. The current DPI is just brutal. I struggle to do any reading on an iPad as text looks truly dreadful unless blown up to jumbo sizes.

Hopefully by next year GPUs will have improved enough to allow a doubling of the DPI while retaining the same or better performance.

I think you just might need glasses I can read on mine just fine. the display is much better just put a ipad and a ipad 2 next to each other.

Don
post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis0042 View Post

I think you just might need glasses I can read on mine just fine. the display is much better just put a ipad and a ipad 2 next to each other.

Don

If he can't read an iPad2 display then I'm surprised he can ready ANY computer display. The iPad and iPad2 have 132DPI, a 27" iMac has less at 109DPI. A cheapo monitor you might get in an office may have as low as 96 or even 72!

I think he's just being incredibly nit-picky over something. Maybe he forgot to zoom in?

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Display expert says iPad 2 LCD nearly as good as iPhone 4