or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Shortages of Apple's iPad and iPhone to bleed into June quarter following Japan tsunami
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shortages of Apple's iPad and iPhone to bleed into June quarter following Japan tsunami - Page 2

post #41 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I finally made an effort this morning to get an iPad and was unsuccessful.

I arrived at the first Apple store this morning at 6 am and there were already about 300 people ahead of me in line. It was ridiculous, scalper after scalper. I would venture to guess that at least 75% of the crowd were Asian scalpers. Many of them had probably never even touched a computer before in their entire life. There were lots of real old people waiting also. Then came the announcement that there would be no iPads today at all!

So I jumped in a cab along with a few other people whom I had met on the line and we headed down to another Apple store which was near by. At 6:45 am there were about 400 people ahead in line already. It was also full of Asian scalper after Asian scalper. It looked like entire families were there. Insane! Two Apple employees came out at about 8:00 am and let people know where the cut off point for the line was. By that time, close to 1,000 people were waiting in line. I was way behind the cut off point, so I just left.

I'm not going to bother to get an iPad anytime soon from any Apple store. It's a waste of time to be spending hours waiting just to come up empty handed. Those scalpers are losers and have nothing better to do with their time than to spend 12 hours waiting each day. They camp out every single day.

I'm thinking about buying up every single chop stick in New York. After that, I will start selling them for $10.00 a stick. That's per single stick, not per pair. That'll teach those scalpers and the chop stick shortage will surely cause them numerous hardships and problems. And it certainly wouldn't be illegal if I did exactly that.

The scalper situation is annoying. This is why they should do one big international release to cut off the scalping. That's the only thing that will solve the issue. After 3/25 the scalping is going to go down.
post #42 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravemas View Post

Which NYC store will prob give me the best chance of getting an Ipad tomorrow (friday)? Im closer to the one on 5th (cube) followed by the one on 68th (Lincoln Center) Also, what time should I get out there? 4am , 5am?

Any info will be much appreciated!

Get out a tent and spend the night. That's the only way you are getting an Ipad if the scalpers have anything to say about it.
post #43 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If he wasnt being racist when the repeated Asain scalpers and assumption that he knew that all the Asians were scalpers. Why not just scalpers, why are Asians so vilified in his post to the extent that he made a silly comment about buying up all the chopsticks so he stick it to all Asians because of some that stood in line on a cold morning waiting for an iPad? You really think his comment wasnt arrogantly narrow-minded? I dont see how anyone could read it any other way.

I think you are digging to deep and not the first time. I see a lot of frustration in that post, but not racism.

I can simple be frustrated or even hate someone or something without beeing a racist. If i hate black dude living near me doesn't mean i hate all black dudes (as in colour), i hate that specific person or group of persons (as in scalpers).

P.S. Just an example.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #44 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

This kind of midset dooms people in the West. The Bubble living westerners, who go in a panic when a winter storm is coming, will be utterly clueless when a earthquake or serious disaster happens.... Look at Katrina , rich america can't even help their citizens because they viewed those people as "not my problem" individuals... not to mention the undercover racism towards that area... let that be a affluent rich area and I bet the response would have been different.

So now you are lumping all westerners together. How about the bubble the people of Japan have been living in for so long with their projected 2.5x their GDP debt load? That was before the current crisis.
post #45 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

This kind of midset dooms people in the West. The Bubble living westerners, who go in a panic when a winter storm is coming, will be utterly clueless when a earthquake or serious disaster happens.... Look at Katrina , rich america can't even help their citizens because they viewed those people as "not my problem" individuals... not to mention the undercover racism towards that area... let that be a affluent rich area and I bet the response would have been different.

Every word you posted here is pure crap.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #46 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I visited the Lincoln Center store first today, as I assumed that would give me the best chance, but they had nothing today, zero iPads. And even that store has now become infested with scalpers. I got there at 6 am today and I wasn't even close to getting one, if they had had any in stock. So you'll probably have to get there a lot earlier than that. Remember, you're competing against hundreds of people who are all part of a gang. They can just make a phone call and Boom! 50 people show up.

The one on Fifth Ave is insane, and don't be surprised if thousands are waiting there with the majority also being sleazy scalpers.

The best you can do is just to choose one, arrive real early, and hope to get lucky.

Hmmmm... you think you've got it bad... just wait until they go on sale in Canada... we'll have the Canadian scalpers, the US scalpers and people from the US trying their hardest to get an Ipad2... the rest of the Canadians will be left out in the cold... eh!

(ps - if you're coming up make sure you bring your toque.)
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #47 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

I think you are digging to deep and not the first time. I see a lot of frustration in that post, but not racism.

I can simple be frustrated or even hate someone or something without beeing a racist. If i hate black dude living near me doesn't mean i hate all black dudes (as in colour), i hate that specific person or group of persons (as in scalpers).

P.S. Just an example.

Yes he/she is. There is no racism in describing people. I can't be descriptive because I might offend someone.
post #48 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If he wasnt being racist when the repeated Asain scalpers and assumption that he knew that all the Asians were scalpers. Why not just scalpers, why are Asians so vilified in his post to the extent that he made a silly comment about buying up all the chopsticks so he stick it to all Asians because of some that stood in line on a cold morning waiting for an iPad? You really think his comment wasnt arrogantly narrow-minded? I dont see how anyone could read it any other way.

It was more a case of generalisation than racism.
post #49 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How does that make sense? Apple wants to get as many iPads into consumers hands as possible. Thats how they make money! They dont want consumers to get discouraged or annoyed or trampled. Thats not how they make money! The mall is clearly at fault for issuing a stupid rule that not only defeats the first-come-first-serve for people willing to arrive early to wait in line, but also makes the situation harmful and a potential lawsuit if people cant wait quietly in queue but have to race from their cars and risk being trampled, as you stated. Im not sure how Apple could be at fault for that poor decision.

Perhaps you mis-understood the last point in my writings (i is an enjuneer - so i dont rite gud) my last point was why doesn't apple fulfill much earlier placed orders (on line) before shipping to the stores? they still sell the same amount surely, one way is more reasonable in terms if civility and fairness...
post #50 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmmm... you think you've got it bad... just wait until they go on sale in Canada... we'll have the Canadian scalpers, the US scalpers and people from the US trying their hardest to get an Ipad2... the rest of the Canadians will be left out in the cold... eh!

(ps - if you're coming up make sure you bring your toque.)

That would only hold if people in the US were still unable to get ahold of the Ipad while people in Canada were able to get ahold of the Ipad. Try again.
post #51 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

That would only hold if people in the US were still unable to get ahold of the Ipad while people in Canada were able to get ahold of the Ipad. Try again.

So you're saying that there is a lot of supply in the US? ... or maybe you are saying that they won't sell any in Canada? or ???

It sounds to me from everything that is written here that supply is quite constrained in the US.

So... you try again.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #52 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So you're saying that there is a lot of supply in the US? ... or maybe you are saying that they won't sell any in Canada? or ???

It sounds to me from everything that is written here that supply is quite constrained in the US.

So... you try again.

It is until the Ipad is released in other countries. Once it's released in other countries it's much harder to scalp because people in those other countries how have access via their own stores. Don't expect a drove of US citizens in Canada to buy out supply of Ipads when they can wait inline at the store here in the US overnight and do the same thing.

The other thing one should keep in mind is that the more scalping that goes on in the US which inflates the demand in the US, the more likely for other countries to see their launch delayed....just like the last time. Scalping only hurts the consumer and Apple's brand image. This is why Apple should limit purchases to one per customer and they should put undercover cops inline to root out the scalpers or at least make it more uncomfortable for them. The vast majority in the US will just wait until they can get one or simply will re-adjust what they want (the latter being the worst case scenario for Apple).
post #53 of 115
Quick assessment:

If you had your heart set on getting an iPad 2 now then your pretty much screwed.
post #54 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

It is until the Ipad is released in other countries. Once it's released in other countries it's much harder to scalp.

Well... then the scalpers would sell them to people in the States!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #55 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

I think you are digging to deep and not the first time. I see a lot of frustration in that post, but not racism.

I can simple be frustrated or even hate someone or something without beeing a racist. If i hate black dude living near me doesn't mean i hate all black dudes (as in colour), i hate that specific person or group of persons (as in scalpers).

P.S. Just an example.

He made a comment about buy up all the chopsticks in order to get back at them. How is that no racists? How does being frustrated which he clearly is and which is understandable give you a free pass at being bigoted?

Using your example, what I concluded my comment by saying that I was going to buy up all the fried chicken and watermelon? How could anyone not take that as a racially derived comment?

Heres the difference, his attack wasnt targeted at the scalpers, but at Asians, hence its a racist comment.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #56 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

This kind of midset dooms people in the West.

Actually, I think the inability to recognize sarcasm will doom the West.
post #57 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well... then the scalpers would sell them to people in the States!

No they won't. If I was a scalper why would I go to Canada to wait inline for an Ipad when I can do that right here in the US? It doesn't make any sense. You assume that Apple Stores won't get any more Ipads ever. Apple has shipments of Ipads coming in every day.
post #58 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

So now you are lumping all westerners together. How about the bubble the people of Japan have been living in for so long with their projected 2.5x their GDP debt load? That was before the current crisis.

No not all westerns but the majority. Am I wrong in seeing this in the western society?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Every word you posted here is pure crap.

Care to explain why??? oh yea thats right cause you can't, just admit, that countries like america england and others care only about themselves at the end of the day.

9-11 was an example of this, the american country was, in unity, but a few years later, now 9-11 is being saluted by a mosque. A pure slap in the face to the people who lost families at 9-11.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #59 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Perhaps you mis-understood the last point in my writings (i is an enjuneer - so i dont rite gud) my last point was why doesn't apple fulfill much earlier placed orders (on line) before shipping to the stores? they still sell the same amount surely, one way is more reasonable in terms if civility and fairness...

Apple should only ship iPads to stores once all iPad orders made online prior to the date a store would receive supply has been shipped? That certainly sounds fair if we assume that the online sales to individuals and the retail outlets are equal in the way Apple divvies up the supply, but from a business standpoint I dont think it makes much sense.

I know several people that ordered online last Friday morning and then waited inline for an iPad 2. If they got an iPad that day they were either going to cancel that sale or sell to a friend when it arrived.

There isnt much you can do when there is such a huge demand. You could pay someone to wait inline for you. Pay them $10/hour to sit in line from 1am(?) until you decide to get there, say 6am. That would cost you $50 but save you 5 hours in line. I pay my capuchin helper monkey (I mean assistant) $20/hour just to do all the time consuming crap for school so I can focus only on the actual studying and have more time to goof off on AI.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #60 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple should only ship iPads to stores once all iPad orders made online prior to the date a store would receive supply has been shipped? That certainly sounds fair if we assume that the online sales to individuals and the retail outlets are equal in the way Apple divvies up the supply, but from a business standpoint I don’t think it makes much sense.

I know several people that ordered online last Friday morning and then waited inline for an iPad 2. If they got an iPad that day they were either going to cancel that sale or sell to a friend when it arrived.

There isn’t much you can do when there is such a huge demand. You could pay someone to wait inline for you. Pay them $10/hour to sit in line from 1am(?) until you decide to get there, say 6am. That would cost you $50 but save you 5 hours in line. I pay my capuchin helper monkey (I mean assistant) $20/hour just to do all the time consuming crap for school so I can focus only on the actual studying and have more time to goof off on AI.

I think the best solution is to sell the Ipad internationally on the first day. That will give scalpers more options while making it harder to scalp.
post #61 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here’s the difference, his attack wasn’t targeted at the scalpers, but at Asians, hence it’s a racist comment.

98.43% of the scalpers are Asians. Go see for yourself. Start at the beginning of the line and then work your way to the end. All you see are Asians practically. And by Asians I mean Chinese people specifically.

The Chinese guy (who was not a scalper but a Mac fan) who was standing next to me in line said that he chose that specific store because it was farthest away from Chinatown. We had a good laugh when I told him that I had also chosen that store for that exact same reason.
post #62 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoge View Post

Actually, I think the inability to recognize sarcasm will doom the West.

ture.. very uptight... look at the reaction to the individual who shared his experience with scalpers... that post somehow turned into a racist argument, from shallow minded individuals... not all asians are scalpers, not all whites are racist, not all blacks are thugs, not all hispanics are illegal immigrants.

The west and the rest of the world has a prejudice beyond belief.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #63 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I think the best solution is to sell the Ipad internationally on the first day. That will give scalpers more options while making it harder to scalp.

I dont think that would change anything. Youd just have more countries with more people waiting inline for the iPad with even longer ship times for online sales. I think the demand is simply way to high.

How many iPads did they sell this past weekend? 1M? The iPhone 3G was in 17(?) countries on day one, the iPhone 3GS in 5(?) countries, and the iPhone 4 in 1(?) country?

Even this years iPad had no early pre-orders and with people ordering in the wee hours of the morning and still ended up getting 2-3 week delivery times. That tells me they wanted to make the retail stores the primary outlets and they still couldnt meet the needs of those in line. I simply dont think there is anything Apple could do to satisfy everyones interest this close to the launch and production date of the iPad 2.

Even if they stock piled iPad 2s until April I think they would have still sold all they could have hoarded in that time frame.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #64 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

98.43% of the scalpers are Asians. Go see for yourself. Start at the beginning of the line and then work your way to the end. All you see are Asians practically. And by Asians I mean Chinese people specifically.

The Chinese guy (who was not a scalper but a Mac fan) who was standing next to me in line said that he chose that specific store because it was farthest away from Chinatown. We had a good laugh when I told him that I had also chosen that store for that exact same reason.

I am going to go in the am and see all these thousands of people who are waiting in line.
post #65 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


Heres the difference, his attack wasnt targeted at the scalpers, but at Asians, hence its a racist comment.

Your argument is bullshit, it just so happened that the asians were the majority in line, and as he said not all were scamming, but the ones who were happened to be asian. If he was in line with all africans or hispanics, the same could have been said, he was giving a visual example about his experience.

Not all Asians are scalpers, Not all Africans are Scammers, but when you have a multi cultured society, people actions put them into a category and further into that category the obvious will be mentioned, and that obvious was that they were of asian decent.... he would have been a racist if he said, all chinese were in the line scalping, but he didn't and if he did then that would have been racist.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #66 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

No they won't. If I was a scalper why would I go to Canada to wait inline for an Ipad when I can do that right here in the US? It doesn't make any sense. You assume that Apple Stores won't get any more Ipads ever. Apple has shipments of Ipads coming in every day.



You're sure getting upset over an innocuous little comment.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #67 of 115
Do you think these Asian scalpers are being paid to stand in line by the real scalpers, or they actually doing this on their own? Either way, they can only get two at a time. I'm just going to order it through Apple on line and just wait.
I can't be bothered fighting through the mess at 5th Ave.
post #68 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Your argument is bullshit, it just so happened that the asians were the majority in line, and as he said not all were scamming, but the ones who were happened to be asian. If he was in line with all africans or hispanics, the same could have been said, he was giving a visual example about his experience.

Not all Asians are scalpers, Not all Africans are Scammers, but when you have a multi cultured society, people actions put them into a category and further into that category the obvious will be mentioned, and that obvious was that they were of asian decent.... he would have been a racist if he said, all chinese were in the line scalping, but he didn't and if he did then that would have been racist.

Not necessarily if all the chinese in the line were scalping or were believed to be scalping. That's racist. Stating the facts is not racist.
post #69 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Not necessarily if all the chinese in the line were scalping or were believed to be scalping. That's racist. Stating the facts is not racist.

Chinese? The term asian covers all you don't know if koreans or japanese were in that line.... The poster never said all the people in the line were scalping, he wasn't being racist.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #70 of 115
At least I got mine on launch day. I'd hate to resort to trampling old ladies. But if that's what has to be done.
post #71 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Chinese? The term asian covers all you don't know if koreans or japanese were in that line.... The poster never said all the people in the line were scalping, he wasn't being racist.

Most were Chinese. I can tell the difference between Chinese, Koreans and Japanese. Both from their appearance and also their language. And also, the Chinese guy standing next to me was listening in on them, and he obviously wouldn't have been able to translate if they hadn't been speaking Chinese.
post #72 of 115
This whole desperation for anything new and Apple is getting old after these, oh, past decade of Apple's glory years.

Now we're just left with those new (and desperate to get into) the Apple world and sleazy scalpers.

And in amongst that just decent folk that just want a gawddammned iPad 2!

*SIGH* F this Sh*t

I have no doubt when the apocalypse comes humans will survive somehow. The question is whether you will actually want to be one of the survivors.
post #73 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Most were Chinese. I can tell the difference between Chinese, Koreans and Japanese. Both from their appearance and also their language. And also, the Chinese guy standing next to me was listening in on them, and he obviously wouldn't have been able to translate if they hadn't been speaking Chinese.

These scalpers are probably what we Asians call "FOB" (fresh off the boat)... And if they're mainland Chinese... Oh, boy.
post #74 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

.... p.s. What REALLY pises me off is all the Xoom ads flashing around AppleInsider. They're everywhere on this site.

Yea, they do stick out don't they.

Well, I'll get slammed here, but I do think others should at least take a look at XOOM if they cannot get their first choice. Waiting for it ...yea-ouch, hey easy!

As for the parts, well, IMO to soon to tell for the variety of reasons discussed here.

From what I heard, mostly NAND plants up north and they aren't the only ones in the world, and Apple has a lot of pull. Now if there was unique part plants that were hit... that would be a different ball game.

However, if anyone can confirm, commentators mentioned that most of these chip plants in Japan are continous operation plants. When a major earthquake hits, the plants shuts down. If it shuts down, it can take a month or so to get it back up to full speed.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #75 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


I have no doubt when the apocalypse comes humans will survive somehow. The question is whether you will actually want to be one of the survivors.

The people in northern Japan are dealing with the apocalypse right now... everyone have a good look... imagine if that was everywhere that you looked.

Never fear, though, as long as you have your iPad2 you at least have a weapon... thankfully Jobs wanted it slim, you'll be able to hone that edge razor sharp!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #76 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Its called truth bro

Ever notice when one says "it's the truth!!", 99% of the time it's not.\

btw, I have a new found respect for iJustin!!
post #77 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceQuit View Post

Ever notice when one says "it's the truth!!", 99% of the time it's not.\

care to explain?? ...maybe its cause you cant
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #78 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceQuit View Post

Ever notice when one says "it's the truth!!", 99% of the time it's not.\

That's the truth!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #79 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

care to explain?? ...maybe its cause you cant

If you care about life and the quality of life, which is sounds like you do, then you ought to care about the capital markets. Capital provides funds for economic growth, which in turn provides jobs and food on the table for many. Its fine to be idealistic, but we don't live in that kind of world. You can't be pro jobs (and I also assume you are, unless you advocate unemployment) and anti business at the same time. But that's just my opinion. I don't claim to have a monopoly on the truth.
post #80 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceQuit View Post

If you care about life and the quality of life, which is sounds like you do, then you ought to care about the capital markets. Capital provides funds for economic growth, which in turn provides jobs and food on the table for many. Its fine to be idealistic, but we don't live in that kind of world. You can't be pro jobs (and I also assume you are, unless you advocate unemployment) and anti business at the same time. But that's just my opinion. I don't claim to have a monopoly on the truth.

I believe in the balance, and according to the article, the Apple Shareholders are more interested with $$$ then life.

If you put emphasis on the all mighty currency then your perspective on life is skewed. Also, money is necessary because, that money is being sent to help aid the Japanese, and other countries around the world who need help.

My beef is with the greedy hungry Apple shareholders and anyone else who values money over life.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Shortages of Apple's iPad and iPhone to bleed into June quarter following Japan tsunami
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Shortages of Apple's iPad and iPhone to bleed into June quarter following Japan tsunami