or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumors of new, free MobileMe service from Apple gain steam
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumors of new, free MobileMe service from Apple gain steam - Page 2

post #41 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

It's about time.
I've felt like an idiot paying $99 for the last few years just to get the syncing capability. It should have be much cheaper all along. I do wish they'd do more for us long loyal customers though.

Agreed. That said, I hope they screw up my syncing somehow. I'm assuming I'll at least be able to continue the only thing I really do: sync my calendars.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #42 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

You are probably right. But this is Apple. They will find a way to make it fair and favorable for everyone.

HAHAHA. WTF? Where you born yesterday?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #43 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

This rumor is BS.

Apple is not going to give up $100/ year from x millions of current subscribers. Sure they'll give something away for free, but they aren't giving up what they already.

Nothing is free and if there is a free service I would expect there to be a premium service as well. The other possibility is that all of this is going to be partially iAd based. I would hope there's a premium ad free option.

The rumor also makes it sound like Apple is going to strand it's current MM users and ditch the current service all together? Way to alienate loyal subscribers. Again, I don't think Apple would ditch mail and calendars etc.

Using your home server as the "storage" for the cloud? Didn't we already come to the conclusion this won't work either?

I don't see any of these things happening. We will probably see a free MM with a mixture of components and features and the paid version will offer another mix.

My account renewed 7 days ago. I got no notice from Apple as per the students rumored above. I've been using the service since the very beginning with itools, then dot mac etc.

I essentially agree with all of this. Rumor has it Apple has around two million MobileMe customers. That comes to $200 million per year or $50 million per quarter. One has to wonder how they replace that revenue. Granted, they are making billions, but still. It's a small but significant percentage of quarterly income.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #44 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple had to qualms about charging me my renewal fee recently \

Werd! No qualms at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige12 View Post

I hope the don't do away with the email on mobile me.

MM's email is a pretty important part of iOS in a sense. I don't think it'll vanish. If the new MM is about staying in synch, keeping email in synch across multiple devices is basically possible because of MM. There are other ways to make it happen, but MM is Apple's "no hassle", "join the ecosystem way" of getting it done. The service itself is going nowhere.

I do wonder though if there will be a complete rebrand and we'll all have to update our emails? Ugh I hope not. I truly love my email address.

MM has become something pretty amazing compared to what it started as. It's finally a product that I really value and I'm happy to pay for. Worst case IMO is a complete rebrand, new products, new services. Some free, extras paid, probably a new name.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #45 of 102
Oh, my. Always with those "trusted sources"... how much can anyone "trust" someone who is willing to divulge secret corporate information for money or an ego stroke or the illicit thrill of breaking an NDA? What kind of person would continue to take payment from Apple (if they are in fact an employee) and sell them out to a blog? If they don't work there, they might just be a liar who wants attention. We're not talking about Wikileaks-level human tragedies here... Trusted source? I don't think so.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #46 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I essentially agree with all of this. Rumor has it Apple has around two million MobileMe customers. That comes to $200 million per year or $50 million per quarter. One has to wonder how they replace that revenue. Granted, they are making billions, but still. It's a small but significant percentage of quarterly income.

That's gotta cover someone's bonus anyway.

Thanks for the numbers though.

I hope it'll be free and premium offerings for the new service. I'm curious to see how the mix of features will be broken down between these products if Apple goes this route. I wonder if we'll finally see iAds get pushed. I still don't think they'll want to start off iAds with a $200 million subsidy to compensate for the MM loss which is why I think it'll be a rebrand with a new mix of products and services.

The more I think about it the more I'm like "yay. New email."
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #47 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

It's about time.
I've felt like an idiot paying $99 for the last few years just to get the syncing capability. It should have be much cheaper all along.

MobileMe was never marketed as just "syncing capability".
post #48 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

We will still pay with our personal information whether this service is free or not. Why pay them money when they are still going to sell my personal information? And should I stop watching TV simply because they show advertisements? This is capitalism. This is what keeps the economy going.

That is complete bullshit. If apple sold MobileMe subscriber info then why:
1) they don't have ads on it and don't report any ad revenue from data mining in their financial reports?
2) apple had major negotiation problems with google because they refused to release private information like geographical location, email addresses, etc. In exchange for the google apps like maps?
3) apple had negotiation issues with publishers because they refused to release iOS device owners' private info who purchased subscriptions and other content
4) required explicit opt-in for in app subscription purchases (instead of deceptive opt-out tactics that Facebook and google are famous for)?
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #49 of 102
what really intrigues me about mobile me and apple's server farm is the possibility of them overcoming perhaps the ipad and idevices' biggest shortfall... their reliance upon you having a mac/pc running itunes

imagine a virtualised os x that you can access via the web or at least a virtualised itunes.

an online repository where all your media is handled online on back up servers - this may still be some way off - maybe 3 -5 years into the future but who knows

and the reason why i reckon this is necessary? well we're now supposed to be living in the post pc age - in the tablet era. However an ipad and an iphone have an umbilical chord tied with a pc - you can't really use the ipad without a mac running itunes. And what's worse is you can't activate an ipad.

If apple offered an online virtualised home folder, the first screen when i switch on a new idevice would be a page asking whether i want to connect to a computer or to the virtual host. This would let me activate any idevice i have. For example, I intend travelling to buy my ipad 2, i'd have to wait till i fly back home to get it started... ah well

it will also bring more non mac users to an online mac experience - an online itunes / mac system which can be a building block in apple's attempts at establishing some sort of social network.
post #50 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Sounds like it will only hold file metadata in the cloud. Maybe all your devices upload their Spotlight indexes? They already have Back To My Mac where all your Macs register their IP addresses with MobileMe so their services can be found, so maybe this is part of the puzzle.

Anyway I actually have 4 years of email saved on MobileMe, so if they are cancelled the email service (which sounds possible) then I hope they provide a tool to archive those off somewhere.

If you use mail in Apple's Mail app it is already built in, select the mail box (any) then select Archive under Mailbox and select a destination.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #51 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, my. Always with those "trusted sources"... how much can anyone "trust" someone who is willing to divulge secret corporate information for money or an ego stroke or the illicit thrill of breaking an NDA? What kind of person would continue to take payment from Apple (if they are in fact an employee) and sell them out to a blog? If they don't work there, they might just be a liar who wants attention. We're not talking about Wikileaks-level human tragedies here... Trusted source? I don't think so.

That thought always crosses my mind over all the pre release type leaks be it software or hardware.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #52 of 102
...DropBox.

Drop Box (www.dropbox.com) enables you to share files of all kinds "in the cloud." You can access any files you put in your "dropbox" from any computer with dropbox installed on it. It's a great tool that I use daily.

It will now be nice to sync all of my photos, music, and movies within iTunes so I don't have problems when syncing my iPhone on another of my computers.
post #53 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

...DropBox.

Drop Box (www.dropbox.com) enables you to share files of all kinds "in the cloud." You can access any files you put in your "dropbox" from any computer with dropbox installed on it. It's a great tool that I use daily.

It will now be nice to sync all of my photos, music, and movies within iTunes so I don't have problems when syncing my iPhone on another of my computers.

What does drop box do that MM doesn't? You can already synch your iDisk "locally" and MM is not just about synching files. The only thing I can tell that drop box offers are more reliable speeds for certain users, compared to MM.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #54 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

trust me: it will NOT be free. Even if it is at first, they will find some lame argument to charge you once you are already on the bandwagon.

No one forced you to stick around and pay

That said, I doubt they will make at all free. Syncing, maybe like a gb of email, whatever this media thing is sure.

But then you'll probably still have to pay something for the bigger email, iDisk etc. Perhaps not $99 but something. Like just drop at to $69 since they were giving a discount at the drop of a hat.

As for the whole 'bring it all into Ping' ideas. I think you have it backwards. Ping will be one component better linked into mobile me, not THE component that everytin else moves around. Say like new tools that will let you pull your ping comments and reviews over and put them as a feed on your iWeb created, mobile me hosted website.Be able to put in samples to songs you like or your iMixes (with links to buy of course). Not perhaps a bad move, especially if they give us more flexibility and complexity like you get with blogger, wordpress etc.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #55 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

If the service is going to be free then why are students having to sign up for a 60-day trial?

The same reason students can buy a last-gen MacBook Pro on the day before the release of the new ones.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #56 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

We will still pay with our personal information whether this service is free or not. Why pay them money when they are still going to sell my personal information?

Um, Apple doesn't sell MobileMe personal info for profit, never has. It's one of the reasons we pay for the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

And should I stop watching TV simply because they show advertisements? This is capitalism. This is what keeps the economy going.

If it annoys you enough, yes. It's one of the main reasons I don't watch TV anymore. There are many ways to get content these days that doesn't involve watching ads, you just have to pay money to do it. Seems fair to me.
post #57 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

“The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything,” the person said.

Probably got tired of everyone using stuff like Google and Dropbox to synch their calendars etc.
I hope it's stored in the cloud. It's ridiculous the concept that you have to have one "main" computer to which everything is connected. It doesn't work that way anymore. What if you have ONLY an iPad, or ONLY an iPhone, or ONLY an AppleTV etc.
post #58 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple could introduce a complete revamp of its MobileMe internet service as early as next month that would be completely free for customers of the company's hardware devices, marking a departure and depreciation of the existing service which retails for $99 per year....

Clearly this article is actually a blend of a lot of different stories that are being passed around and clearly some parts are true, some are total BS, and some are somewhere in the middle. Anyone who takes this as verbatim is just not thinking. Just to point out a couple of areas where what is being said is just not likely:

1) The idea of a smaller, cheaper iPhone, but one that does all the same things the current iPhone does and has apps etc. being sold alongside the current iPhone is a complete non-starter. Why would anyone buy the current iPhone if they could get the second cheaper one that does the same stuff? The article even points to the problem raised by these kind of assertions when it says that it "isn't a dumbed down feature phone," but then goes on to describe something that sounds very much like a dumbed down feature phone. Unless it replaces the current iPhone (and therefore isn't an iPhone "nano" but simply the iPhone 5), it *has* to have a dumbed down feature set, there is simply no other way.

2) MobileMe is said to be going free, but the article implies that it will be so different that the paying users like myself, will need to be given "support" for the next year while it presumably transitions away to something so different that we might actually lose some features. This is absolutely asinine.

What features could possibly be eliminated that we need to transition away from?

If we ignore the features that are supposed to be offered in the free version, all that's left is email and online storage. Currently MobileMe offers it's paying customers *less* storage than is already available on almost every device they sell. If the new free service is going to sync your stuff it would arguably use more space on the servers by a huge factor than they currently "sell" to their paying customers.

Similarly, the email address and iTunes account (often the same thing) are the core of any service whether it be free or not. Is Apple likely to stop serving email? Does it make any sense to ditch all the folks that have stuck with them for ten long years using .Mac and MobileMe, over saving a few pennies by eliminating email?

There is so much garbage in this report it's impossible to determine which parts of it *might* be *slightly* true.
post #59 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

What does drop box do that MM doesn't? You can already synch your iDisk "locally" and MM is not just about synching files. The only thing I can tell that drop box offers are more reliable speeds for certain users, compared to MM.

So many things. Besides speed, it breaks up files into 4.3MB chunks so that even if you stop a upload/download it will continue again with little to no loss. It uses Amazons S3 file system (similar to Apples Time Machines sparse bundle) that will only update changes to files, not the entire file. It will remember deletions and changes/revisions to files for 30 days for free members and indefinitely for paying members. If the file (or parts of a file) are already on their server somewhere (even if the file name is different) it wont waste your bandwidth or your time uploading, it will say the file is uploaded within a couple seconds, regardless of how large the file is. It will auto-sync to al the people who are sharing any number of folders you have with other people.

Its a brilliant service and very Apple-like in the way it works. Meaning, just like Apple oft does, it uses technologies that already exist, but they found a way to make them more useful and more user-friendly. The only drawbacks to Dropbox are things they have no control over, like core OS functions that could make Dropbox be a little more user-friendly, something that Apple could achieve, at least on their OSes, if they decide to follow Dropbox. I dont see how they can not follow their lead.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #60 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

LOL...so true! You could be somone who has never laid a finger on an Apple product their entire lives, go buy a Mac the day after this service is activated and get the same "reward" as a devotee who has been bleeding Apple for 20 years!

That's the way it is I suppose. We did choose to spend that money, though. Not that I wouldn't mind some benefits
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #61 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Nothing is free and if there is a free service I would expect there to be a premium service as well.

You're missing the point, the free service convinces people to buy hardware, and then "more hardware". The free costs is offset by the fact that the experience of it all sells hardware. If the service is good and works seamlessly and is free, I believe they are making the right move finically. They end up with happy users and sell more hardware. There's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

The other possibility is that all of this is going to be partially iAd based. I would hope there's a premium ad free option.

That is certainly a possibility. We'll see.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #62 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

I use the site-hosting feature of MobileMe to run a very small site created on iWeb - hopefully this feature comes along for the free ride.

It would be awesome if it does. iWeb is great for creating quick-and-dirty website-feature mockups and buttons.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #63 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias03 View Post

Ditto. They better take good care of us idiots. I enjoy this service. They better not lame it out, like Google's suites, with a bunch of ads and crap.

I agree, I have always felt stupid for paying this fee for the service, but it does work for me, so I just renewed the service on March 7th. Don't mess it up.
post #64 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

This rumor is BS.

Apple is not going to give up $100/ year from x millions of current subscribers. Sure they'll give something away for free, but they aren't giving up what they already.....

There are all kinds of ways Apple can tie mobile payments to location services. Think of Google location services, Groupon, and Visa all under one umbrella. That's what Apple will be doing in-house.

I can totally see this happening. With this goal: Pull people off Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Reader, and most urgently - to get them onto an Apple-branded location services and PAYMENT product.

You can't get people on your location services and payment systems if they're up to their neck in Google services already. So you have to offer the key things Google offers, for free.

Sure - people argue that Google isn't free - it's not some fascinating argument - we all get it. But I'd venture that most people are going to pick a "free" service over one like paid MobileMe.
post #65 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

MobileMe was never marketed as just "syncing capability".

Uh, who said it was? He said that's what he used it for. It's what I use it for too.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #66 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

That is complete bullshit. If apple sold MobileMe subscriber info then why:
1) they don't have ads on it and don't report any ad revenue from data mining in their financial reports?
2) apple had major negotiation problems with google because they refused to release private information like geographical location, email addresses, etc. In exchange for the google apps like maps?
3) apple had negotiation issues with publishers because they refused to release iOS device owners' private info who purchased subscriptions and other content
4) required explicit opt-in for in app subscription purchases (instead of deceptive opt-out tactics that Facebook and google are famous for)?

In other words, Apple is fair? Right?
Then why do people think Apple will suddenly start selling their information through this rumored free service?
post #67 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Um, Apple doesn't sell MobileMe personal info for profit, never has. It's one of the reasons we pay for the service.



If it annoys you enough, yes. It's one of the main reasons I don't watch TV anymore. There are many ways to get content these days that doesn't involve watching ads, you just have to pay money to do it. Seems fair to me.

I wish you read the previous posts. You are simply agreeing with me. Thanks.
post #68 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, my. Always with those "trusted sources"... how much can anyone "trust" someone who is willing to divulge secret corporate information for money or an ego stroke or the illicit thrill of breaking an NDA? <snip>
Trusted source? I don't think so.

Good point. "Trusted source" sounds oxymoronic.
Although it is very likely true that Apple also has people who are "authorized" to "leak" info at times. I suppose they could be considered "trusted sources" without having to bend the definition of trusted...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #69 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Clearly this article is actually a blend of a lot of different stories that are being passed around and clearly some parts are true, some are total BS, and some are somewhere in the middle. Anyone who takes this as verbatim is just not thinking. Just to point out a couple of areas where what is being said is just not likely:

1) The idea of a smaller, cheaper iPhone, but one that does all the same things the current iPhone does and has apps etc. being sold alongside the current iPhone is a complete non-starter. Why would anyone buy the current iPhone if they could get the second cheaper one that does the same stuff? The article even points to the problem raised by these kind of assertions when it says that it "isn't a dumbed down feature phone," but then goes on to describe something that sounds very much like a dumbed down feature phone. Unless it replaces the current iPhone (and therefore isn't an iPhone "nano" but simply the iPhone 5), it *has* to have a dumbed down feature set, there is simply no other way.

2) MobileMe is said to be going free, but the article implies that it will be so different that the paying users like myself, will need to be given "support" for the next year while it presumably transitions away to something so different that we might actually lose some features. This is absolutely asinine.

What features could possibly be eliminated that we need to transition away from?

If we ignore the features that are supposed to be offered in the free version, all that's left is email and online storage. Currently MobileMe offers it's paying customers *less* storage than is already available on almost every device they sell. If the new free service is going to sync your stuff it would arguably use more space on the servers by a huge factor than they currently "sell" to their paying customers.

Similarly, the email address and iTunes account (often the same thing) are the core of any service whether it be free or not. Is Apple likely to stop serving email? Does it make any sense to ditch all the folks that have stuck with them for ten long years using .Mac and MobileMe, over saving a few pennies by eliminating email?

There is so much garbage in this report it's impossible to determine which parts of it *might* be *slightly* true.

Finally! The voice of reason. Apple's finest minds got together and proposed this to Uncle Steve: "Hey! Let's make mm free and give it to everyone who buys an apple product. Then let's take out email. I mean who needs push email anyway? Can't they just use gmail? I hear it's free."

Uncle Steve: "Yah...that sounds about right."

Come on now people. Use your noggins.
post #70 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaygeek View Post

No, Apple is playing catch-up... the Xoom and any future Honeycomb tablets already have free cloud sync and restore capability, combined with gmail provides essentially the same solution.

Not even close - if this rumor it true. The ability to sync content from both the cloud and your home computer, without having to push Gigs of data up to the cloud, is so much more. Having that data local when at home is so much better. What Google offers is a basket of half-baked beta solutions loosely stitched together. People buy Apple products because they want quality products and services that simply work, and work simply.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

iPhone, iPods (Touch, Nano), iPad, MacBook Pro (13", 15"), Apple TV (2), and lots of AAPL stock.
Former Microsoft employee...
Reply
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

iPhone, iPods (Touch, Nano), iPad, MacBook Pro (13", 15"), Apple TV (2), and lots of AAPL stock.
Former Microsoft employee...
Reply
post #71 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

In other words, Apple is fair? Right?
Then why do people think Apple will suddenly start selling their information through this rumored free service?

I'm not sure I understand where you're going. I quoted where you stated that apple is selling MobileMe subscriber info and I pointed out reasons that statement is false. What does that have to do with fair? Or right for that matter?

And I have no clue why anyone would anyone would think that apple would sell their info since their past and current business practices regarding privacy don't seem to be sliding in that direction.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #72 of 102
I'd be happy to pay if Apple could learn to sync.

Dropbox make a business out of Apple not getting iDisk working well.

And Apple have deleted emails and Notes from my account just from bad syncing.

Don't make it free, make it work !

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #73 of 102
Whatever they're going to do...

Just Do It, Do It, Do It!
post #74 of 102
I know for a fact I wont be running my Mac 24/7 just to have cloud storege. However if we can have 2 gigs of cloud storage and in addition can turn our desktops into additional storage when we need it (ie leave it on while going on a trip or during an imortsnt meeting) I could see some benefit in that.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #75 of 102
.

Hey Gomer, do you know how many Dumbazzes can fit on one of AppleInsider's Threads ?

No Goober, I don't

Least 72 - but I did run out of fingers and toes, so may be off a lil' bit

Shaazam

.

Now, please don't get confused by any Theatrical Sarcasm
If not sure what that is - Aunt Bee will explain later
(smile)

Yes, 2 other postings here so far have at least pointed in this direction
For the rest of you ?
Well, let's nip it - nip it in the bud

.

************ NORTH CAROLINA SERVER FARM ****************

THE SQUARE MILE 'FACILITY' APPLE HAS BEEN FINISHING

READY TO FINALLY GO 'ONLINE'

.

Ok - that get a few of you up to speed ?

Imagine the possibilities - is what many of you been writing about

All that - and more

Remember - is Apple doing this - not some Microsoft Floyd the Barber operation

Whatever the 'details/specifics' - Total Package will be as 'Dave' described ...

"Something Wonderful"
.

Change The World

(BIG TIME)

.



.
post #76 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Uh, who said it was? He said that's what he used it for. It's what I use it for too. So piss off.

Why be such a dick?

He paid $99 a year for one reason. To get the syncing ability, even though he felt like an idiot doing it.
post #77 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Say it enough times and you'll obviously be right.

Exactly - the revamp of mobileMe is always just 2 weeks to a month away according to some source. I'm sure it will happen, it would amuse me if it actually happened when it was actually least expected.
post #78 of 102
I notice that all the discussion surrounding the Apple NC datacentre has focussed on MobileMe going free and on services such as syncing files, calendars, email etc., but I haven't yet seen anything on Apple providing server-side functionality and infrastructure for iOS developers.

I am dabbling in writing an iOS app and as an indie developer I don't have a huge number of resources available to me (at least until my future app hits the big time!. Some people will slam me for this, but I would welcome an offering from Apple that would allow me to keep my app, both client and server, in an Apple ecosystem.

There are a few emerging companies, StackMob & Proxomo for example, that are now offering these features and some that have focused on APNS or in-app purchases such as Urban Airship, but I am just surprised that Apple has not offered something similar to date.

I would be interested in other peoples' thoughts? =)
post #79 of 102
My trial was up yesterday, so today I was billed for MM. I agree, I doubt they will give up the income, that would be stupid. I decided to go with it because I got tired of hearing about all of the new ways Google was storing my info (like in a cloud) so I got rid of my gmail accounts and switched to MM email. I am using file sharing for sending huge graphics files for my clients and recently I found that sharing to MM was the easiest way to get video from my iPad2 iMovie program to be sent in a format that I can also use it in my desktop iMovie (that is not something you can do by syncing, I found that out after buying the iPad version of iMovie) But now I just share it to the MM space and download it to my desktop. So that is cool too. Next to set up is "Back to my Mac" so I don't have to use the wonky LogMeIn service that never quite worked well.

For all it does the MM service is worth the price, I was already paying GoDaddy for file sharing and Yahoo for mail service. Canceling those two pays for half of MM service. Then add on top the extras and the ease of use (I love Godaddy, but their file sharing was complicated to use) And Yahoo was not IMAP, MM is. Yes I did get IMAP from Google, but as I found out the "price" of the "free" service is way too high. And really, Google as always bugging me to upgrade to their paid service so they wanted money from me too, at the price of $50 per year per email.

I really can't imagine Apple offering as much as it does for free, I can imagine a version with much less services for free, but not the full MM experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

This rumor is BS.

Apple is not going to give up $100/ year from x millions of current subscribers. Sure they'll give something away for free, but they aren't giving up what they already.

Nothing is free and if there is a free service I would expect there to be a premium service as well. The other possibility is that all of this is going to be partially iAd based. I would hope there's a premium ad free option.

The rumor also makes it sound like Apple is going to strand it's current MM users and ditch the current service all together? Way to alienate loyal subscribers. Again, I don't think Apple would ditch mail and calendars etc.

Using your home server as the "storage" for the cloud? Didn't we already come to the conclusion this won't work either?

I don't see any of these things happening. We will probably see a free MM with a mixture of components and features and the paid version will offer another mix.

My account renewed 7 days ago. I got no notice from Apple as per the students rumored above. I've been using the service since the very beginning with itools, then dot mac etc.
post #80 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

In other words, Apple is fair? Right?
Then why do people think Apple will suddenly start selling their information through this rumored free service?

Given that Apple has made a huge deal out of privacy, customer info etc they will not sell or give away anything carte blanche with a free mobile me. They might perhaps explain iAds to the web and use the same select info if you agree that it is okay game as the iOS apps. But they won't risk the PR nightmare, the non iAds networks demanding access to info and permission to share it that they are currently denied etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumors of new, free MobileMe service from Apple gain steam