or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Speculation that Apple designer Jony Ive leaving to UK said to be false

Speculation that Apple designer Jony Ive leaving to UK said to be false

post #1 of 42
A new profile of Apple's design chief Jony Ive pours cold water on rumors that the U.K. native plans to leave his job to move back to his home country.

Ive was profiled in a piece by the Daily Mail, in a story that features comments from friends and former colleagues. The 44-year-old Essex-born designer was recently rumored to be planning to cash in some $30 million stock options and to move back to the U.K.

But a former colleague of Ive's reportedly indicated that those rumors are "false."

"I'm not sure there is any truth he wants to come back," they said. "My last conversations with him were that he was planning to sell his house in the U.K."

In February, the Times of London reported that Apple gave Ive a "golden handcuffs" option grant in 2008. Since then, the amount had reportedly grown so much that Ive's profits could reach $30 million.

That report claimed that Ive and Apple were "at loggerheads" over the distance from his $4 million home in Somerset, U.K., to Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

But this week's profile by the Daily Mail aims to dispel that rumor, noting that his home in Somerset is now empty. It also revealed that he will receive £15 million in Apple shares next year alone.

Those who commented for the story also lamented that Britain "lost" Ive, one of its greatest talents, to the U.S. Sir James Dyson, famed inventor of the Dual Cyclone bagless vacuum cleaner, said he wished Britain could keep the "brilliant minds" it has created.
post #2 of 42
Given that this was in the Daily Mail, the likelihood of any or all of it being completely fabricated and / or inaccurate is extremely high. The Daily Mail is great if you want to look at paparazzi shots of z-listers in bikinis. For factual content you'll have better luck with a comic.
post #3 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ive was profiled in a piece by the Daily Mail

That's all I needed to know when the original story broke to know that this was false. I can't believe something in England's equivalent of The National Enquirer got so much play around the internet. It must have been a slow news day that day or something.
post #4 of 42
Good. Though I can't say the story was that plausible to begin with.
post #5 of 42
Quote:

A new profile of Apple's design chief Jony Ive pours cold water on rumors that the U.K. native plans to leave his job to move back to his home country.

Ive was profiled in a piece by the Daily Mail, in a story that features comments from friends and former colleagues. The 44-year-old Essex-born designer was recently rumored to be planning to cash in some $30 million stock options and to move back to the U.K.

But a former colleague of Ive's reportedly indicated that those rumors are "false."

"I'm not sure there is any truth he wants to come back," they said. "My last conversations with him were that he was planning to sell his house in the U.K."

In February, the Times of London reported that Apple gave Ive a "golden handcuffs" option grant in 2008. Since then, the amount had reportedly grown so much that Ive's profits could reach $30 million.

That report claimed that Ive and Apple were "at loggerheads" over the distance from his $4 million home in Somerset, U.K., to Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

But this week's profile by the Daily Mail aims to dispel that rumor, noting that his home in Somerset is now empty. It also revealed that he will receive £15 million in Apple shares next year alone.

Those who commented for the story also lamented that Britain "lost" Ive, one of its greatest talents, to the U.S. Sir James Dyson, famed inventor of the Dual Cyclone bagless vacuum cleaner, said he wished Britain could keep the "brilliant minds" it has created.

Could have been a PR stunt.He is a brilliant designer.
post #6 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Could have been a PR stunt.He is a brilliant designer.

Thx for quoting the whole article. What if it was 187 paragraph long?
post #7 of 42
Has it occurred to James Dyson that had Ive not moved to America he might never have been heard of? James should flip open his MacBook Pro and be grateful events turned out as they did and go back to designing vacuum cleaners and be happy.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #8 of 42
The Daily Mail is the UK's equivalent of Fox News, actually, it's probably even more right wing. They're highly racist, homophobic, pro-hard line christian, and also bizarrely, obsessed with celebrity gossip. They famously supported the nazis in the run up to world war 2, and frankly haven't changed much since.

They rarely report anything without a large proportion of it being made up, embellished, or half reported for bias.
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The Daily Mail is the UK's equivalent of Fox News, actually, it's probably even more right wing. They're highly racist, homophobic, pro-hard line christian, and also bizarrely, obsessed with celebrity gossip. They famously supported the nazis in the run up to world war 2, and frankly haven't changed much since.

They rarely report anything without a large proportion of it being made up, embellished, or half reported for bias.

I always thought that was the Mirror. Oh wait, you didn't mention alien abductions.
post #10 of 42
Well, hold on a minute, guys.

The Daily Mail is the publication that created this debunking report, not the publication that published the original rumor!

The original rumor, however, strikes me as bizarre. I'm sure there are many quality private school options in the Bay Area that would serve his kids just fine. And when you see his passion for designing Apple products, I would be shocked if he really wanted to leave the company.

Jony Ive will never be Apple CEO. Not because people don't want to give him the job, but because he is a designer and wants to do design. The niggly details of running a multi-billion dollar company are best left to Tim Cook, who is a world-class expert at them. Now, he may become more of the public face of Apple, and in fact he is slipping into that role now.

I do wonder why he has a nicer house in the UK than the USA, however. That must be how the rumor got started. Maybe Steve should take him house hunting. Never a better time to buy than after a real estate market crash.

D
post #11 of 42
Quote:

The Daily Mail are just like most news organisations today. Their "journalists" work to a set of ideals that guides them in producing stories that meet editorial requirements. If you want your work to be published, and you want to keep getting your pay cheque (or bank deposit nowadays), you do as you are told.

It's easy to bash Murdoch's empire and the likes of The Daily Mail and The Torygraph. But then we have equally biased reporting from the other side with the likes of the BBC/Guardian and Daily Mirror spinning for the left. It's a hopeless situation.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the world is in such a mess, while journalistic standards sit at this all-time low.
post #12 of 42
Quote:

I always find it funny when people throw about the term 'homophobic' willy-nilly.

Show me one person who actually fears a homosexual.
post #13 of 42
I doubt this happened, but Ive is popular enough that he could have leaked info in order to passive-aggressively get his bosses at Apple rethink how much they are paying him. They call for a sit down, he says he’s not planning to leave but that he would like more money/stocks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #14 of 42
Who started this rumor in the first place?
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Has it occurred to James Dyson that had Ive not moved to America he might never have been heard of? James should flip open his MacBook Pro and be grateful events turned out as they did and go back to designing vacuum cleaners and be happy.

Dyson was lamenting that the UK's business environment doesn't support innovators as much as he'd like it to.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I always find it funny when people throw about the term 'homophobic' willy-nilly.

Show me one person who actually fears a homosexual.

Melanie Phillips. Jan Moir. You can trawl the site for their articles yourself, I'm not going to give them any hits.
post #17 of 42
who the hell comes up with this kind of rubbish to begin with?
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

The Daily Mail are just like most news organisations today. Their "journalists" work to a set of ideals that guides them in producing stories that meet editorial requirements. If you want your work to be published, and you want to keep getting your pay cheque (or bank deposit nowadays), you do as you are told.

It's easy to bash Murdoch's empire and the likes of The Daily Mail and The Torygraph. But then we have equally biased reporting from the other side with the likes of the BBC/Guardian and Daily Mirror spinning for the left. It's a hopeless situation.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the world is in such a mess, while journalistic standards sit at this all-time low.

Really? I always considered the BBC and the Guardian to be very center. Liberal in their world views perhaps (except for the Mirror), but hardly 'spinning for the left'.
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I doubt this happened, but Ive is popular enough that he could have leaked info in order to passive-aggressively get his bosses at Apple rethink how much they are paying him. They call for a sit down, he says he’s not planning to leave but that he would like more money/stocks.

Could have, but like you, I doubt it. I think Apple know what they have and make sure the man is very happy. Paying him well would hardly be an issue. A real issue for any designer, however, could be boredom. Who knows, maybe JI would enjoy a new challenge. A vacuum cleaner, perhaps? (designing one, that is)
post #20 of 42
< A real issue for any designer, however, could be boredom.>

how about a pied a terre in nyc (manhattan)

he surely wouldn't be bored with all that california drivel and with all his money he could commute whenever he felt bored.

nyc is definitly not a boring place unless you don't have enough money.
post #21 of 42
Quote:

Mind you we did give them Beckham, so that evens things up intellectual wise.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

I do wonder why he has a nicer house in the UK than the USA, however. That must be how the rumor got started. Maybe Steve should take him house hunting. Never a better time to buy than after a real estate market crash.

D

I understand there's a nice little 50 bedroom fixer-upper with moat in Windsor that's dying to be torn down and replaced with an I.M. Pei jobbie.
Steve can probably help grease the skids on that one.
post #23 of 42
Quote:

Its pay-back for slighting Sir Steve.

(Sorry... the low-hanging punch-lines on this story are just too much to pass up.)
post #24 of 42
Yep, the UK government screws businesses (not just inventive people) left right and centre. There are few financial incentives.
Except of course if you're thinking of doing something "green" - then you can get all kinds of subsidies. Idiots.
Add to that the enormous amount of money the stupid olympic games are costing the taxpayer and you're better off in the USA where enterprise is rewarded and making money is not something that needs to be punished by more then half your earnings being stolen by the taxman.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

Except of course if you're thinking of doing something "green" - then you can get all kinds of subsidies. Idiots.

Yeah... those morons who don't understand that infinite oil is being produced by the carbon fairies beneath the earth are SO dumb.
Don't they know that the magical free market will act proactively out of its own good will?
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pummelon View Post

Given that this was in the Daily Mail, the likelihood of any or all of it being completely fabricated and / or inaccurate is extremely high. The Daily Mail is great if you want to look at paparazzi shots of z-listers in bikinis. For factual content you'll have better luck with a comic.

The fact that it was in the Mail made me a little shocked that they didn't conclude that Ive had decided not to move back to the UK because of the number of illegal immigrants.

Everything else in that paper seems to be the fault of immigrants.
post #27 of 42
Quote:

Yep, the UK government screws businesses (not just inventive people) left right and centre. There are few financial incentives.
Add to that the enormous amount of money the stupid olympic games are costing the taxpayer and you're better off in the USA where enterprise is rewarded and making money is not something that needs to be punished by more then half your earnings being stolen by the taxman.

Are you the kind of curmudgeon that waves his clenched fist at all the unjustness in the world? You know, taxmen, beggars, taxis that turn without indicating, kids that run, bicyclists and 'green idiots', etc...?
post #28 of 42
Quote:

Let BP take a dump on your doorstep and you might change your tune.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

< A real issue for any designer, however, could be boredom.>

how about a pied a terre in nyc (manhattan)

he surely wouldn't be bored with all that california drivel and with all his money he could commute whenever he felt bored.

nyc is definitly not a boring place unless you don't have enough money.

NYC is great. But I can't imagine that neither 'California drivel' nor the 'not boringness' of NYC would make or break the deal for JI. But then again, I don't know the man.
post #30 of 42
Could have been a dirty trick by Ballmer, or even China.
post #31 of 42
[QUOTE=kotatsu;1832271]The Daily Mail is the UK's equivalent of Fox News, actually, it's probably even more right wing. They're highly racist, homophobic, pro-hard line christian, and also bizarrely, obsessed with celebrity gossip. They famously supported the nazis in the run up to world war 2, and frankly haven't changed much since.

I am amazed at the prejudice against Fox News, given the plethora of Progressive alternatives....

Katie "Comrade" Couric, Diane "I am smiling" Sawyer, Babwa WahWah, Keith "Overblown" Olberman,
Chris "Chrissie" Matthews, Rachel "Ray" Maddow, Tom "tic tic" BrokenJaw , er Brokaw...

A quick look in the mirror and even you would retract that dissimulation...
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Dyson was lamenting that the UK's business environment doesn't support innovators as much as he'd like it to.

I fail to see why you seem to think I need some sort of correction in my reading of the article and my response. I was responding to this ...

"James Dyson, famed inventor of the Dual Cyclone bagless vacuum cleaner, said he wished Britain could keep the "brilliant minds" it has created."

My comment is therefore valid (agree or not) when I said he should be glad Ives came to the US and Apple as we have the results of his brilliance in Apple products. Had he stayed in the UK we would not. Simple as that.

I make no comment as to the wider problem, only the specific example of Ive.

Speaking personally, Britain failed to keep me due to the climate
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Its pay-back for slighting Sir Steve.

(Sorry... the low-hanging punch-lines on this story are just too much to pass up.)

So I guess we could say Dyson is well qualified to say this all sucks?
post #34 of 42
[QUOTE=Alladdinn;1832393]
Quote:

I am amazed at the prejudice against Fox News, given the plethora of Progressive alternatives....

Katie "Comrade" Couric, Diane "I am smiling" Sawyer, Babwa WahWah, Keith "Overblown" Olberman,
Chris "Chrissie" Matthews, Rachel "Ray" Maddow, Tom "tic tic" BrokenJaw , er Brokaw...

A quick look in the mirror and even you would retract that dissimulation...

Enough with the politics but ... I always feel after listening to Chris Matthews that he is pretty even handed and a very smart guy even though he'd be the first to admit he works on a left of center platform.

IMHO America needs the rise of the far left again so centrists don't look like they are on the left!
post #35 of 42
C'mon, you guys, read the original story on the Daily Mail's website. It's very good. Has some great opening paragraphs, and you learn something about this amazing designer/engineer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...gn-genius.html

Keep reading to the end piece by Stephen Bayley, which includes this nice summary for the technical transition we are in:

"Transient, global, instantaneous, intelligent, wireless connectivity is a bigger idea than the French Revolution. More than any other individual, Ive has decided what this idea should look like. And it looks beautiful, desirable."

That kind of thing throughout, but he gets a little perversely dark about Apple's future toward the end.

But the original story by Rob Waugh is first-rate, with detail errors only. Way beyond the usual jingoist right-wing yellow journalism y'all are bickering about.
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

taxis that turn without indicating

Dont get me going on that.

post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alladdinn View Post

I don't think your 'plethora of progressives' have anything to do with the criticism of Fox. But your list is a very funny and insightful for a 10 year old. Well done!
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yeah... those morons who don't understand that infinite oil is being produced by the carbon fairies beneath the earth are SO dumb.
Don't they know that the magical free market will act proactively out of its own good will?

If God wanted us to use solar power, why didn't he burry some panels down deep instead of putting all that oil and coal there?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #39 of 42
Quote:

I fail to see why you seem to think I need some sort of correction in my reading of the article and my response. I was responding to this ...

"James Dyson, famed inventor of the Dual Cyclone bagless vacuum cleaner, said he wished Britain could keep the "brilliant minds" it has created."

My comment is therefore valid (agree or not) when I said he should be glad Ives came to the US and Apple as we have the results of his brilliance in Apple products. Had he stayed in the UK we would not. Simple as that.

I don't disagree with anything that you say, but reading your first response made it seem as though you were annoyed with Dyson because he was criticizing Ive for leaving. It's seems to me that PXT was pointing out that Dyson's criticism was ambiguous from the excerpt that we saw and that he could have been criticizing Brittian's economic attractiveness for forcing him to leave instead. In that second case, a "go back to designing vacuum cleaners and be happy" quip makes less sense...

Of course, it doesn't really mater so much why he left, only that he did. He has had an excellent run at Apple and may well stick around for more!
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #40 of 42
Quote:

I left the UK because it doesn't value engineers in the same way America does.

I don't disagree with what you say - it is good that Ive found a place he could shine and hence we can benefit from what he makes, but Dyson has a point in some respects that it was less likely he would find a place to shine in the UK.

Increasingly the UK values bankers, lawyers, "media" people and footballers and almost nobody else. In silicon valley I would say I earn somewhere in the region of 2 to 2.5 times what I would make in the UK.

However, in my opinion I'd be more inclined to listen to Dyson if he weren't a one trick pony. Honestly, how many times can he re-make a vacuum cleaner?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Speculation that Apple designer Jony Ive leaving to UK said to be false