or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.7

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.7

post #1 of 89
The seventh free update to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is now available through Software Update, offering a variety of bug fixes and security enhancements.

Apple notes that the new 10.6.7 release includes "general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac," including adjustments that improve the reliability of Back to My Mac, resolves issues when transferring files to SMB Windows Files Sharing servers, and addresses Mac App Store bugs.

A special build for the new early 2011 Thunderbolt MacBook Pros, which shipped with "Mac OS X 10.6.6" but using a special build supporting their unique hardware, also "addresses minor FaceTime performance issues" and is reported to "improve graphics stability and external display compatibility."

Following the release of the new models, some users complained of external display flickering, temporary blanking, and occasionally a full system crash that appeared to be related to using external displays through the Mini DisplayPort-compatitible Thunderbolt port.

After applying the two separate updates, Macs prior to the Thunderbolt MacBook Pros report having build 10J869, while the new notebooks report build 10J3250.

Security enhancements included in Mac OS X 10.6.7 are also available for Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 systems through a parallel Security Update 2011-001 through Software Update.

Mac OS X 10.6.7 for most Snow Leopard Macs:

Mac OS X 10.6.7 for Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Pros:

Among the security patches included in the release are updates for AirPort WiFi networking, vulnerabilities in the Apache web server, fixes pertaining to AppleScript, three patches the improve Apple Type Server, improvements to bzip2 file compression, the CarbonCore API, CoreText, virus scanning in ClamAV used by Mac OS X Server, and a new definition for OSX.OpinionSpy malware that will enable automatic file quarantine.

Apple has also patched security flaws in HFS and in ImageIO and Image RAW file handling. Other security enhancements target the Installer, Kerberos cryptographic issues, kernel security, Libinfo, libxml, Mailman, PHP, Microsoft Office QuickLook issues, and five issues related to QuickTime. The update also rolls in patches for Ruby, Samba, Subversion, Terminal and X11.
post #2 of 89
Any link to the combo updater ?

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #3 of 89
you know the whole "macs don't get viruses" theory? its a bunch of bunk, or security updates wouldn't be needed. However, because apple releases semi-regular security updates (thank god, so much easier than MS updater) like this, Mac viruses are hardly seen. or they get hit with an apple update before long.

Steve Jobs wields the apple gun. Virus zombies watch out.
No trees were harmed by sending this message, though a large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
No trees were harmed by sending this message, though a large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
post #4 of 89
feels snappier
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
post #5 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajets1 View Post

you know the whole "macs don't get viruses" theory? its a bunch of bunk, or security updates wouldn't be needed.

Quote:
However, because apple releases semi-regular security updates (thank god, so much easier than MS updater) like this, Mac viruses are hardly seen.

So where are they all, then?
post #6 of 89
Hope it fixes my home share problems.
post #7 of 89
I had a smooth install on my iMac 7,1 C2D. No apparent problems yet.

Downloaded GLViewer. Result for OpenGL 3.0 is still 95%, with Shader Language 1.3 the only uncompleted portion. That was what I was expecting.

My system is fairly plain vanilla. I am careful when adding third-party software.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #8 of 89
Hope it fixes the Calculator! Snappier is a given though.
post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali View Post

Any link to the combo updater ?

Here it is :

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361

Wiil install it later today...

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #10 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So where are they all, then?

said the west coast American when he heard about the Japanese earthquakes...

It is a combination of factors, but none so great that attacks cannot happen. A humble quietness serves us all better.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #11 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

It is a combination of factors, but none so great that attacks cannot happen.

Attacks (and attack vectors) are not viruses. Come on!
post #12 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

feels snappier

Awesome...I was hoping more snappiness would be included.
post #13 of 89
New improved Joker products!

post #14 of 89
Can somebody explain the logic of combining a display port with a storage port? Seems like a big (and illogical) jump to me.
post #15 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Can somebody explain the logic of combining a display port with a storage port? Seems like a big (and illogical) jump to me.

Universal peripheral port. One plug to rule them all. How does that not make sense?
post #16 of 89
Quote:

If the port can handle the bandwidth and it's a standard then it actually makes a lot of sense. This is especially nice for devices with limited real estate for ports like the Macbook Air.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #17 of 89
Quote:

Well, unless you work with an external display on a regular basis, most people's external display port sits unused for months, perhaps even years. May as well use it for something else.
post #18 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

said the west coast American when he heard about the Japanese earthquakes...

That implies a willful ignorance of their existence.

I imply a lack of existence entirely. Because it's true.
post #19 of 89
Quote:

I would say that within 12-24 months it will appear quite obvious and you will be thanking the guys who bought this to market. Once more vendors come on board it wont seem "illogical" in the slightest, in fact every other connection we have to deal with will become illogical.
post #20 of 89
Quote:

Isn't it all just data? What difference should it make if that data is going to a display or a printer or a magnetic platter?

And far from illogical. If you have a laptop and at home you have your external display, speakers, TimeMachine backup disk, printer, etc, you just plug in a single cable (well, two if you count power) and your laptop it "docked" with your desktop setup.
post #21 of 89
Quote:

I will try. A daisy chain can be attached to the Thunderbolt port, which in turn, ties into a specialized Thunderbolt chip, which connects as a PCIe to the system board. Each device on the daisy chain contains a specialized Thunderbolt chip for that device, which translates the data stream as needed for that device.

If you have a storage device in the daisy chain, it will have an input and an output (for devices further down the chain for a maximum of six devices). There are a number of restrictions, such as the display being the last device on the chain.

Thunderbolt keeps storage data and display data separate on the 2 available channels of Thunderbolt. No need for USB, Firewire, or mini-DisplayPort on the daisy chain; it is handled at a very fast speed on Thunderbolt. I would guess that eventually those other ports will fade out on Macs, and maybe other Apple products.

http://www.mac-thunderbolt.com/lightpeak/tbolt-faq.html

post #22 of 89
safari is a dog these days, hope the ve fixed it.
post #23 of 89
Installed it and it runs pretty good here...
X7DWA-N Supermicro mobo,Dual QC 3.0 Xeons, 12Gb RAM, 6 Raptor drives + 500 Gb TM drive, 2x DVR-218L burners, M-Audio 7.1 sound card, Titan 650 case running Leopard 10.6.6,Win7 x64, Linux Fluxbox...
X7DWA-N Supermicro mobo,Dual QC 3.0 Xeons, 12Gb RAM, 6 Raptor drives + 500 Gb TM drive, 2x DVR-218L burners, M-Audio 7.1 sound card, Titan 650 case running Leopard 10.6.6,Win7 x64, Linux Fluxbox...
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

safari is a dog these days, hope the ve fixed it.

or ... you could just remember to clear your cache once in a while.
post #25 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajets1 View Post

you know the whole "macs don't get viruses" theory? its a bunch of bunk, or security updates wouldn't be needed. However, because apple releases semi-regular security updates (thank god, so much easier than MS updater) like this, Mac viruses are hardly seen. or they get hit with an apple update before long.

Steve Jobs wields the apple gun. Virus zombies watch out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #26 of 89
Quote:

It makes perfect sense.Look at the Apple LED Display. It has a power cable, USB cable and min-DisplayPort cable. Now look at it sans the USB cable. You save the USB port plug-in on the MBP and you can still have a USB3.0 hub on the back of a monitor. On top of that you can still push audio, mic, FireWire, and any other protocol one might need on a monitor.

Of course, only a small percentage are using external monitors for their notebooks so why should we care about them? You still need to include it for the few that do, but if you make it work for multiple things you keep it more useful to more people. Now think of a future with aThunderbolt port on each side of a MBP after the case design refresh that loses the mostly used ODD*.

Now switch gears a little and remember that Thunderbolt as LightPeak started out as optical. Its faster but it offers no power. Now remember that Apple has a patent for an optical connector in the middle of a MagSafe connector. This now brings an external display down one single cable off an Apple LED Display that supplies power to a MBP and all data protocols one might need over a 100GB+ optical connection. Apples solution for the docking station is to make it unnecessary.

* Apple might not be able to keep the Ethernet port either. Its the largest port left and its holding up Apples push for thinness** as much as the ODD. They might just sell an 1Gbps Ethernet to Thunderbolt dongle for those that need it. Id say this depends on the number of consumer users that they think still need an Ethernet wired adapter for their network, but I think the end result is more like what they did with DVI users when they moved to the mini-DVI and micro-DVI

Dont say that if you want a thin computer with no ODD you should get a MBA. Im talking about a machine with a 35W CPU and good notebook capacity with no relative difference in performance or capacity for the price
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #27 of 89
Quote:

Kinda like how TV and Internet both come over CableTV. Read about it on wiki.
post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

or ... you could just remember to clear your cache once in a while.

maybe it should do it by itself...
post #29 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

New improved Joker products!

Seeing that you're "IT Support", you know better.
post #30 of 89
Not sure if anyone else has checked but looks like my 2011 MBP home share works now, at least with my ATV2.
post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Seeing that you're "IT Support", you know better.

Tongue in cheek....
post #32 of 89
Quote:

Added to my ignore list, never posts anything worth reading.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #33 of 89
My 2008 Macbook Pro has a dim screen after the update. Still displays fine to external 24" Cinema Display. I can't be sure it was the update as I left it to run and noticed it later when I came back to the machine. Could be pure coincidence and a hardware issue like a bad backlight just popped up. Anybody else having issues?
post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwardrop View Post

My 2008 Macbook Pro has a dim screen after the update. Still displays fine to external 24" Cinema Display. I can't be sure it was the update as I left it to run and noticed it later when I came back to the machine. Could be pure coincidence and a hardware issue like a bad backlight just popped up. Anybody else having issues?

You didnt mention it so I have to ask: Did you try to increase the brightness via the keyboard and System Preferences » Displays?
post #35 of 89
Looked through the release notes and have done a casual search but I couldn't find any 411 on 10.6.7 extending TRIM support to Macs prior to MBP 2011.

Anybody seen anything?
post #36 of 89
Quote:

thanks! asshole

And now mine, asshole.
post #37 of 89
Quote:

Agreed.
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And now mine, asshole.

Ahhhhh... poetry...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #39 of 89
Quote:

The next thing you'll want is for it to wipe your butt...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You didnt mention it so I have to ask: Did you try to increase the brightness via the keyboard and System Preferences » Displays?

I'm taking it to my shop Friday to see if it's a hardware issue.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.7