or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Libya - Page 6

post #201 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I'm saying Bush violated the Constitution, too.

Does that still make me racist?

Bush is an idiot who should be impeached what he pulled with Cheney with this Iraqi war.
post #202 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Like this?

You're kidding me, right? Infowars...you mean the site that I see cardboard and spray paint sings for as I go to work in the suburbs? The ones right above the Ron Paul signs crafted in the same fashion?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #203 of 222
All of the information on that page is well documented and includes links to references.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #204 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

All of the information on that page is well documented and includes links to references.

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #205 of 222
It's easier to laugh it off than actually read it and connect the dots, isn't it?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #206 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You're kidding me, right? Infowars...you mean the site that I see cardboard and spray paint sings for as I go to work in the suburbs? The ones right above the Ron Paul signs crafted in the same fashion?

Wait, that has to be asked. Is there a problem with Ron Paul that causes him to be brought into this argument? Are the people that support him idiots in some way and because of that the linking of the signs somehow strengthens your argument?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #207 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Wait, that has to be asked. Is there a problem with Ron Paul that causes him to be brought into this argument? Are the people that support him idiots in some way and because of that the linking of the signs somehow strengthens your argument?

Infowars is not credible, nor balanced. That's all I'm saying.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #208 of 222
What about the sources cited in Infowars' articles? Are none of them credible, either?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #209 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

What about the sources cited in Infowars' articles? Are none of them credible, either?

Why does that matter? Is HuffPo balanced and credible if it uses a Gallup poll? Is Rush Limbaugh balanced because he uses BLS data? Is Press Sec Carney balanced because he has CBO and White House budget data? Of course not. Infowars is an anti-establishment, ultra-libertarian site. It's one step away from www.abovetopsecret.com.

RON PAUL!!!!!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #210 of 222
You judge the veracity of information solely on who is presenting it?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #211 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

You judge the veracity of information solely on who is presenting it?

No, I judge the veracity of the argument based on who is making it.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #212 of 222

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #213 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

No, I judge the veracity of the argument based on who is making it.

How did I miss this one? I surely hope you're being sarcastic.
post #214 of 222
France, China and South Africa aided Gadhafi

Firms Aided Libyan Spies
post #215 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

France, China and South Africa aided Gadhafi

Firms Aided Libyan Spies

Very interesting.
Quote:
Libya is one of several Middle Eastern and North African states to use sophisticated technologies acquired abroad to crack down on dissidents. Tech firms from the U.S., Canada, Europe, China and elsewhere have, in the pursuit of profits, helped regimes block websites, intercept emails and eavesdrop on conversations.

And I wont be surprised if Tripolis next government also employs said firms for similar services, in exchange for the profits they are reportedly in pursuit of.

It is my opinion that these companies and similar entities dont care about actual politics, although they do tend to favour dictatorships (even regimes not quite open to the idea of property as Henry Fords dealings with Stalin showed) as those are quite conductive to bigger and easier profit.
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs


חברים יש רק באגד
Reply
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs


חברים יש רק באגד
Reply
post #216 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

How did I miss this one? I surely hope you're being sarcastic.

Yeah, hilarious. You mean to tell me you don't consider the source?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #217 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yeah, hilarious. You mean to tell me you don't consider the source?

Not when considering an argument on its merits. I don't. If Fox News uses polling data that says Obama's approval rating is 25%, I won't suddenly attack the source, and say that 25% number is bullshit and cannot be trusted.
post #218 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Not when considering an argument on its merits. I don't. If Fox News uses polling data that says Obama's approval rating is 25%, I won't suddenly attack the source, and say that 25% number is bullshit and cannot be trusted.

The source matters, especially when we're talking about people with known viewpoints and even agendas.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #219 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The source matters, especially when we're talking about people with known viewpoints and even agendas.

The source has no impact on the merits of an argument. It can show motivation for an argument, but if you're intelligent enough to see an argument for its merits, you don't need to care about the motivation.

I guess for people who don't really have the acuity to parse the merits of an argument using their own intellect, I can see how the source can influence what they choose to believe.

It's like religion and morality.
post #220 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The source has no impact on the merits of an argument. It can show motivation for an argument, but if you're intelligent enough to see an argument for its merits, you don't need to care about the motivation.

I guess for people who don't really have the acuity to parse the merits of an argument using their own intellect, I can see how the source can influence what they choose to believe.

It's like religion and morality.

I disagree. One has to consider the source, because motivation and bias affects the argument itself. You can't possibly be telling me that you don't view arguments differently based on who is making them. Consider this statement:

"The free market system must be unshackled for the economy to grow. Tax cuts are one way to help accomplish this."

So, let's suppose BR makes this statement. You wouldn't treat it differently than if I had made it? Of course you would. You know I'm a fiscal conservative and he's...well, not. One person is making an argument, and to you the other person is just preaching his beliefs.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #221 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You wouldn't treat it differently than if I had made it?

Nope. I wouldn't. Just because you're partisan doesn't mean I am.

Anyway, what you posted above isn't an argument. It's a statement. For it to be an argument, I'd love to see why "the free market system must be unshackled for the economy to grow". I think it's a fallacious statement. If BR made the statement I would still think it's a fallacious statement, no less than if you made the statement.
post #222 of 222
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Nope. I wouldn't. Just because you're partisan doesn't mean I am.

Anyway, what you posted above isn't an argument. It's a statement. For it to be an argument, I'd love to see why "the free market system must be unshackled for the economy to grow". I think it's a fallacious statement. If BR made the statement I would still think it's a fallacious statement, no less than if you made the statement.

Yeah, I just don't buy that. There is no way you are 100% non-partisan when evaluating arguments. No one is.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider