or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple to sell iPad 2 in 25 more countries at 5 p.m. local time on Friday

Apple to sell iPad 2 in 25 more countries at 5 p.m. local time on Friday

post #1 of 46
Apple on Tuesday reiterated its plans to launch the iPad 2 on Friday, with the next-generation touchscreen tablet going on sale in stores at 5 p.m. local time, and online through the Apple Store at 1 a.m.

"While competitors are still struggling to catch up with our first iPad, we've changed the game again with iPad 2," said Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs. "We’re experiencing amazing demand for iPad 2 in the U.S., and customers around the world have told us they can't wait to get their hands on it. We appreciate everyone’s patience and we are working hard to build enough iPads for everyone."

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K. on March 25 for a suggested retail price of $499 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $599 (U.S.) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $729 (U.S.) for the 32GB model and $829 (U.S.) for the 64GB model.

Apple also revealed that the iPad 2 will be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April, and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date.

One nation still missing from the list of countries for international iPad 2 sales is Japan. Apple revealed a week ago that it would delay the launch of the iPad 2 in Japan following the recent earthquake and tsunami disaster. Apple has not yet announced a new launch date.

"We are delaying the launch of the iPad 2 in Japan while the country and our teams focus on recovering from the recent disaster," the company said.

The remainder of the international launch of the iPad 2 will go on as planned, in the face of crushing demand and limited supply in the U.S. The iPad 2 first went on sale in the U.S. earlier this month, and Apple has been unable to meet demand since its launch.
post #2 of 46
So, if man buy it from apple online shop, have to wait 4-5 weeks then hands on? There is not text for that, crap!
post #3 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewolfxyou View Post

So, if man buy it from apple online shop, have to wait 4-5 weeks then hands on? There is not text for that, crap!

No, probably just like in the states there is an allocation that will ship in 2-3 days. Then an allocation that will ship in 3-5 days, 1-2 weeks up to 4-5 weeks. Of course, everyone knows this now and will be up at 1am. \

Those who have faith to buy without touching it will be rewarded, those who walk into a shop to try it and then want one could very well have to wait.
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

No, probably just like in the states there is an allocation that will ship in 2-3 days. Then an allocation that will ship in 3-5 days, 1-2 weeks up to 4-5 weeks. Of course, everyone knows this now and will be up at 1am. \

Those who have faith to buy without touching it will be rewarded, those who walk into a shop to try it and then want one could very well have to wait.

Makes sense. I will do both, going to buy online and camp the store on Friday, I need two iPad anyway.
post #5 of 46
Is that 1 a.m. Pacific? 1 a.m. local?

I know that everyone and their brother will be buying online, but I'd rather wait a few days/weeks, then stand in line for 8-10 hours like I did for the iPhone 4 launch.
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuntley325 View Post

Is that 1 a.m. Pacific? 1 a.m. local?

I know that everyone and their brother will be buying online, but I'd rather wait a few days/weeks, then stand in line for 8-10 hours like I did for the iPhone 4 launch.

I was just going to ask the same thing... 1am EST or 1am local time?
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple also revealed that the iPad 2 will be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April, and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date.

Hurray!!!!! I just came in to some cash, and April will be fine, hopefully earlier rather than later.

When the original iPad was launched last year, we didn't get it in Hong Kong until July! That staved me off from buying one, actually.

I think I'm going to go for the (black) 64GB 3G version. I would stick with WiFi, except I really want the GPS.

I have a grandfathered 3G data plan that's US$25 per month for unlimited data, and if I get the 3G version I'll consider using a SIM cutter and swapping the SIM with my Huawei router when I want to use data on my iPod Touch instead of the iPad.

Actually, I think I've just changed my mind. I'll get the WiFi. It's just not worth the muffled sound and the hassle of cutting and swapping the SIM plus $130 just to get GPS instead of triangulated data, which works pretty well here due to a huge density of WiFi routers.
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBOGH View Post

I would assume it is 1 a.m. pacific, because they didn't specify "local time" like they did with 5 p.m., but I would still like to know for sure.
post #9 of 46
Quote:

Must be EST. Distribution would be from Sydney anyway and if it was local time they'd be sold out by the time Perth comes around 3 hours later.

What happened in the US? Was online ordering available at one time across the whole country or at local times?
post #10 of 46
Quote:

I would assume it is 1 a.m. pacific, because they didn't specify "local time" like they did with 5 p.m., but I would still like to know for sure.

Anyone know what timezone they used at the US launch?
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Anyone know what timezone they used at the US launch?

Just asked a friend of mine in California and it was 1 a.m. pacific (actually, her tweet was at 3:52 am EST, so slightly before 1am) for the online launch.
post #12 of 46
Quote:

Local time.

Would be nice if AI sourced their info so we could look that type of thing up:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/22ipad.html

Quote:
CUPERTINO, CaliforniaMarch 22, 2011Apple® today announced that iPad® 2, the second-generation of its third post-PC device, will go on sale in 25 additional countries this Friday, March 25. iPad 2 will be available at Apple retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers at 5 p.m. local time, and online through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com) beginning at 1 a.m. Apple today also announced that all models of iPad 2 will be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Hurray!!!!! I just came in to some cash, and April will be fine, hopefully earlier rather than later.

When the original iPad was launched last year, we didn't get it in Hong Kong until July! That staved me off from buying one, actually.

I think I'm going to go for the (black) 64GB 3G version. I would stick with WiFi, except I really want the GPS.

I have a grandfathered 3G data plan that's US$25 per month for unlimited data, and if I get the 3G version I'll consider using a SIM cutter and swapping the SIM with my Huawei router when I want to use data on my iPod Touch instead of the iPad.

Actually, I think I've just changed my mind. I'll get the WiFi. It's just not worth the muffled sound and the hassle of cutting and swapping the SIM plus $130 just to get GPS instead of triangulated data, which works pretty well here due to a huge density of WiFi routers.

Do you also have an iPhone? Apparently when you tether your iPad 2 to your iPhone, the iPad received GPS info from the iPhone. So, your iPad will be as accurate as your iPhone when tethered.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...to-wi-fi-ipad/
http://www.everythingicafe.com/ipad-...ne/2011/03/16/

Don't know if this has actually been confirmed with Apple, but if it is true, it is a nice touch.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #14 of 46
Crap. That means I'll be spending my whole day in a line at my local Apple Store. I am under no illusion whatsoever that it's not going to be a fun time but that if you're not in line early, you'll not get one here in Canada. Ah well, pack a lunch, my iPad, and a good book and just make a day of it I guess. Grrr.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Local time.

Would be nice if AI sourced their info so we could look that type of thing up:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/22ipad.html

That release says the exact same thing as a AI article. The "local time" is only specified for the in-store launch. The 1am has no specification.
post #16 of 46
This suggests that Apple must not be worried about supply disruptions from Japan. That could be viewed as good news.

I wonder if Apple has placed their online stores at the back of the line for iPad availability. If so, it's an interesting move. Apple probably gets the highest profit margins from selling through their own on-line store, so they're giving up some profits that way. But by supplying b&m stores ahead of the online store, they (1) make the iPad available to more "ordinary" people who tend to shop in b&m stores, (2) they get those lovely long lines that then create free press, and (3) they keep their retail partners happy.
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Must be EST. Distribution would be from Sydney anyway and if it was local time they'd be sold out by the time Perth comes around 3 hours later.

What happened in the US? Was online ordering available at one time across the whole country or at local times?

I'm pretty sure each international online store has their own set of stock (i.e. the Canada store won't affect the Australia store)
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewolfxyou View Post

They probably already had enough in reserve for the international launch and hope they can eventually fill all the online orders when/if the Japanese suppliers are back up and running. Sucks for those in the US that ordered online, as we could see their delivery dates getting put back further and further then being cancelled if those suppliers aren't up and running in any reasonable timeframe.

Then it's a case of Apple trying to find alternate suppliers. The problems comes in that for some things, the Japanese do not allow anyone else to manufacture things using their intellectual property, as they know that this will just get copied. After all this is exactly what they did to US and European companies in the 80s and 90s.
post #19 of 46
Quote:

Do you also have an iPhone? Apparently when you tether your iPad 2 to your iPhone, the iPad received GPS info from the iPhone. So, your iPad will be as accurate as your iPhone when tethered.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...to-wi-fi-ipad/
http://www.everythingicafe.com/ipad-...ne/2011/03/16/

Don't know if this has actually been confirmed with Apple, but if it is true, it is a nice touch.

Sounds great, but I use an iPod Touch with a 3G WiFi router.
post #20 of 46
Canadian prices are out, 16 gigs wifi at 519$, down 30$ from iPad 1 prices.
post #21 of 46
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Er. For Australia online purchases I would assume start at 1am Sydney time, available throughout the country. How the heck would they know you were in Perth? They don't even check if you're overseas. As long as the credit card and the billing address is Australian, it's all good.

The 5PM in-store is local time, which means East Coast gets it first then Perth 2 hours later.

(Removed personal info on getting my iPad2, don't want to jinx it )
post #22 of 46
Quote:

That release says the exact same thing as a AI article. The "local time" is only specified for the in-store launch. The 1am has no specification.

ahh, true. I didn't notice the AI article included 'local' and you are right that Apple's release only specifies it for the store time.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #23 of 46
Quote:

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro
Not all teachers are willing to go the extra mile for their special students. Kudos.

Boy you just wont give Hiro a rest, will ya? You both need to kiss and make up.
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Crap. That means I'll be spending my whole day in a line at my local Apple Store. I am under no illusion whatsoever that it's not going to be a fun time but that if you're not in line early, you'll not get one here in Canada. Ah well, pack a lunch, my iPad, and a good book and just make a day of it I guess. Grrr.

If it's not fun, then ask yourself if you really need it right away. I can see lining up for things like concert tickets - where you won't get any at all if you don't line up, but is it worth it to have it a month early.
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I wonder if Apple has placed their online stores at the back of the line for iPad availability.

I doubt it. Remember there are a lot more customers ordering online. They probably allocate a number based on a statistical analysis of how many people want to buy online vs. in store.
post #26 of 46
So, it's US$499 for the 16 Gb model in the US.

That's about £304.50 (according to xe.com)

Add VAT at 20% gives £365.40

What's the betting the UK price with be £420
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonglongusername View Post

So, it's US$499 for the 16 Gb model in the US.

That's about £304.50 (according to xe.com)

Add VAT at 20% gives £365.40

What's the betting the UK price with be £420

UK prices are for WiFi versions
16GB £399
32GB £479
64GB £559

and add £100 to each of the above for 3G version
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

You people who just have to get Apple's newest device instantly, create the buying backup problem.
Since you already have an iPad, how about backing off so I can our first iPad I promised for my wife last Xmas.
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

You people who just have to get Apple's newest device instantly, create the buying backup problem.
Since you already have an iPad, how about backing off so I can our first iPad I promised for my wife last Xmas.

DEEEEEE-NIED!
post #30 of 46
Man... it sure would be nice to get the ones that I ordered on 3/11 at 7:00 AM (pst) before the guy in Alice Springs, Australia that will get his on Friday... But I guess Apple doesn't see it that way....hummm.... turning out to be a bad experience....
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

Man... it sure would be nice to get the ones that I ordered on 3/11 at 7:00 AM (pst) before the guy in Alice Springs, Australia that will get his on Friday... But I guess Apple doesn't see it that way....hummm.... turning out to be a bad experience....

Not trying to be rude but he will only get his ipad before you if he queues. If he orders online then he'll probably have to wait as long. You do realise that apple is a global company who are trying to ensure that they keep their market lead/dominance by not delaying for too long thei international launch. Or perhaps you dont and you really think that the edge of the world ends at the US border?
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisy View Post

Not trying to be rude but he will only get his ipad before you if he queues. If he orders online then he'll probably have to wait as long. You do realise that apple is a global company who are trying to ensure that they keep their market lead/dominance by not delaying for too long thei international launch. Or perhaps you dont and you really think that the edge of the world ends at the US border?

It's hard for most of us Americans to get the bigger picture. We are a "me" culture in a "now" generation. Very difficult for us to even acknowledge the bigger picture let alone cede to it.

The reality is that Apple already had the logistics down and set in motion for the international release before the initial launch in the US even started. So as much as one can see his point, that he did in fact order his before, the fact is that the allocated product simply cannot be redirected that easily!

Apple is in fact an international company with millions of loyal customers from around the world, and they promised them iPads on the 25th. I am solidly predicting that availability and replenishment of stock will be even slower to this next wave of 25 countries than to the US though. So if you want to get one before May that badly, I would suggest you hit the Apple Store or authorized retailer nearest you at least 24 hours early on launch day, or reload the online store page repeatedly coming up to 1 A.M. PST to try to be one of the first online orders.

Good luck!!!
| 1TB 2.66 GHz C2D Mac mini Server | 32GB 3G Black iPad 2 | Apple TV 2 | 256GB 1.8 GHz i7 11" Macbook Air | 16GB Black iPhone 4S |
| 1TB 2.66 GHz C2D Mac mini Server | 32GB 3G Black iPad 2 | Apple TV 2 | 256GB 1.8 GHz i7 11" Macbook Air | 16GB Black iPhone 4S |
post #33 of 46
I know stuff gets sold everywhere and its going to be released all over, but isnt it a bit frustrating that we pay for stuff within 24 hours of the release only to find out that people on a different continent are going to get their ipads before those who are already waiting and have paid for theirs? Now there is talk that apple revoked verizons supply at their warehouse and are claiming all verizon sales from the 11th on are a minimum of 3 weeks out from the 11th. If true, this is one big public relations nightmare. Apple engineers need to forcefully remove their management. I have never seen a company that can design/produce such wonderful products and have such amazingly intelligent people behind the scenes, have their management so badly screw up the sale. At some point the frustration just isnt worth it. I can get this frustrated with xoom.
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfrommn View Post

I know stuff gets sold everywhere and its going to be released all over, but isnt it a bit frustrating that we pay for stuff within 24 hours of the release only to find out that people on a different continent are going to get their ipads before those who are already waiting and have paid for theirs? Now there is talk that apple revoked verizons supply at their warehouse and are claiming all verizon sales from the 11th on are a minimum of 3 weeks out from the 11th. If true, this is one big public relations nightmare. Apple engineers need to forcefully remove their management. I have never seen a company that can design/produce such wonderful products and have such amazingly intelligent people behind the scenes, have their management so badly screw up the sale. At some point the frustration just isnt worth it. I can get this frustrated with xoom.

It is frustrating, I can sympathise with that. Apple is stretched pretty thin. Also this Japan stuff will have long term effects in the consumer electronics markets, one way or other.
post #35 of 46
Quote:

ahh, true. I didn't notice the AI article included 'local' and you are right that Apple's release only specifies it for the store time.

SO, then what is it. 5pm local time, yes, and 1am Cupertino time zone? Note, that is a good one for Scoopertino: GMT will be replaced replaced by SJT (time at the location wherever SJ is)
post #36 of 46
I'm going to go downtown Montreal.

Should I get the wifi or the wifi+3G? Is the 3G worth it? 32 or 64?

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

I'm going to go downtown Montreal.

Should I get the wifi or the wifi+3G? Is the 3G worth it? 32 or 64?

3G means you'll need a minimum 50$/month contract

64GB means you want to have movies on your device or you have a HUGE music collection and for some reason you need ALL of it on your iPad. Just keep in mind, it's not really meant to be a music player, that's what iPods are for. One letter makes all the difference.
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

3G means you'll need a minimum 50$/month contract

64GB means you want to have movies on your device or you have a HUGE music collection and for some reason you need ALL of it on your iPad. Just keep in mind, it's not really meant to be a music player, that's what iPods are for. One letter makes all the difference.

Yes well I won't use the iPad as an iPod. I have like a terabyte worth of movies and TV programmes. but I think that I'll go for 64 if wifi only and 32 for 3G

post #39 of 46
The Sydney queue has started about 24 hours before launch:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/t...324-1c7ek.html
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Yes well I won't use the iPad as an iPod. I have like a terabyte worth of movies and TV programmes. but I think that I'll go for 64 if wifi only and 32 for 3G

Were those movies and programs purchased from the iTunes Store? If not you won't be able to put them on the iPad anyway, not easily. I'm personally snubbing the 64gb model because I really don't see the need to have tons of media with me on the go, after all, it's not a laptop and it's not an iPod.
For applications and the occasional media, 32gb or even 16gb are more than enough. But by all means, the 64gb version should be the easier to get given it's price.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple to sell iPad 2 in 25 more countries at 5 p.m. local time on Friday
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple to sell iPad 2 in 25 more countries at 5 p.m. local time on Friday