or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Despite Apple suit, Amazon Appstore for Android debuts with free Angry Birds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Despite Apple suit, Amazon Appstore for Android debuts with free Angry Birds

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 
Amazon on Tuesday officially launched its "Appstore for Android," complete with a free copy of the game "Angry Birds Rio," just days after Amazon was hit with a trademark infringement suit from Apple over the "App Store" name.

Amazon launched the digital download service for Android devices as expected, and retained the name "Amazon Appstore for Android." The service can be found at amazon.com/appstore, and it allows customers to find, discover, test and buy Android applications through Amazon's online storefront.

Using their computer and a mouse, customers can try out Android applications before they buy them with the new "Test Drive" feature. It simulates an Android phone to give users the ability to try before they buy.

"Test Drive lets customers truly experience an app before they commit to buying. It is a unique, new way to shop for apps," said Paul Ryder, vice president of electronics for Amazon.com.

"Our customers have told us that the sheer number of apps available can make it hard to find apps that are high quality and relevant to them. We've spent years developing innovative features that help customers discover relevant products. By applying these features - plus new ones like Test Drive - we're aiming to give customers a refreshing app shopping experience."

To help promote the new Android Appstore, Amazon secured an exclusive free launch of the new title "Angry Birds Rio," based on the popular Angry Birds game franchise and featuring characters from the upcoming film "Rio." Amazon has also promised a new paid application for free every day.

Amazon has pushed forward to launch its Amazon store in the face of a new lawsuit from Apple. Filed last week, the complaint accuses Amazon of violating the "App Store" trademark for which Apple has applied.



Apple first applied for the App Store trademark in 2008, shortly after the launch of its digital download service for the iPhone. Since then, the App Store has expanded to the iOS-powered iPad, and the moniker has also extended to the Mac App Store for full-fledged Mac computers.

Apple has argued that the general public associates the word "App Store" with its own line of products, and that Amazon's "Appstore" is too similarly named. U.S. trademark law requires the owner of a mark to vigorously defend its use, or risk losing ownership should it become a generic description.

Apple reportedly contacted Amazon three times to request that they not use the "Amazon Appstore" name, but the online retailer did not comply, as evidenced by Tuesday's official public launch of the service. Apple has argued that the name of Amazon's service will "confuse and mislead customers."
post #2 of 59
Test drive sounds like a great feature. I'd love to see something similar on the Apple app store.
post #3 of 59
Apple doesn't have THE App Store. They have AN App Store.

I hope the lawsuit gets shot down.
post #4 of 59
Sounds too much like "Cosmo Kramer, The Ass Man!"...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #5 of 59
Oh poor Google, they want so much to be just like Apple.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #6 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh poor Google, they want so much to be just like Apple.

Google? Google does nothing on this case
post #7 of 59
Quote:
Test drive sounds like a great feature. I'd love to see something similar on the Apple app store.

Yes, it does. Has anyone tried it out yet? I find this the most frustrating thing about Apple's App Store. Not being able to try an app is a step backwards when compared to demo software for desktop machines, even if the majority of iphone apps are cheap and might be viewed as throw away. The cost of cheap apps mounts up if you are trying to find one that best suits your own personal requirements. It has to make sense for a buyer to be able to try the goods to see if they are suitable. A few screen grabs and often dodgy reviews just don't cut it for me.
post #8 of 59
Only three stars for Angry Birds! There must be a lot of really awesome Android games at Amazon.
post #9 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Apple doesn't have THE App Store. They have AN App Store.

I hope the lawsuit gets shot down.

I agree, they're overreaching. Amazon is calling this thing (the) 'Amazon appstore'. It's different enough from what Apple is doing.

From Apple's POV, I can understand why you go after Amazon: It sends a message. But I think this whole 'App Store' trademark thing is a poor way for Apple to spend its time and money. Hey, let everyone call their venture an App Store. So what? That won't cost Apple a dime in sales.

The only thing competitors should not be allowed to do is call themselves (the) "Apple App Store", for obvious reasons. And they should not be allowed to look too much like Apple's venture (which some will no doubt do). Against such things (which cause customer confusion), Apple should be vigilant and aggressive. But aside from that, they should be left alone. They're store that sell 'apps'. They're app stores, all of them.

Waste of time and money pursuing this. Let it go.
post #10 of 59
Is it me, or is the Test Drive feature NOWHERE to be found on the main page nor on any of the app pages. If this is such an amazing feature, why is it so hard to find?
post #11 of 59
Let's see.
"App Store" is trademarked by Apple. Good. No one else should be allowed to use it. Let them come up with their own word.

Since "app" is shorthand for "application", I suggest Amazon do something similar and use the name "Appl Store" for their marketplace :-).
post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Test drive sounds like a great feature. I'd love to see something similar on the Apple app store.

Yeah me too - regardless of the whole name argument, once again competition proves good for the consumer......
post #13 of 59
This is a free country. It's alright to be copy cats.
post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Test drive sounds like a great feature. I'd love to see something similar on the Apple app store.

Isn't this what all the "lite" apps are about?
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

I agree, they're overreaching. Amazon is calling this thing (the) 'Amazon appstore'. It's different enough from what Apple is doing. ...

Maybe Apple should have called theirs the 'Amazon App Store', that would have been different from what Amazon was doing at the time. After all, amazon is a relatively common term.
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Test drive sounds like a great feature. I'd love to see something similar on the Apple app store.

This has been my number one request for the App Store since day one. They already have the mechanism in place with movie and TV show rentals within the FairPlay DRM. All they have to do is allow the developer set whether they want to allow trial versions, and perhaps allow select duration time periods.

However, with Mac App Store Apple said that trial versions were to be left on the developers website I have to think they have no inclination to include this option anytime soon. I hope that isnt the case.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

I agree, they're overreaching. Amazon is calling this thing (the) 'Amazon appstore'. It's different enough from what Apple is doing...

No, Apple actually has a good case and similar cases (precedents) have been won in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

... I think this whole 'App Store' trademark thing is a poor way for Apple to spend its time and money. Hey, let everyone call their venture an App Store. So what? That won't cost Apple a dime in sales....

Wrong. It will cost them all the sales of those confused enough to go to the Amazon app store instead of the Apple app store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

... The only thing competitors should not be allowed to do ... .

Not going to even reply to the rest in as much as it's just a rant based on no actual evidence besides your limited opinion.
post #18 of 59
Behave Amazon... else apple will bring out an e-ink eBook and do it properly.
post #19 of 59
Quote:
Wrong. It will cost them all the sales of those confused enough to go to the Amazon app store instead of the Apple app store.

Wrong Wrong!

It is an Android app store. Apple cant lose one sale to that as Apple doesnt sell a device that runs Android apps.

FYI: I agree they shouldnt be allowed to call it an appstore. Apple wouldnt be allowed to sell their operating system as Apple windows X
post #20 of 59
U.S. trademark law requires the owner of a mark to vigorously defend its use, or risk losing ownership should it become a generic description.


And who used app before Apple. It seems that everything from product to software to naming is copied from those who have no imagination or time to invest in originality.

Most people see a link between App and Apple, App seemingly short for Apple. Now how cool is that.

Meanwhile, the eXoom is still incomplete and buggy. Check out the eXoom and Android sights. The complains and pleas for assistance with a product that is so third rate it brings tears to the eyes and speed to the feet that are returning them.

As the great philosopher Nelson say, ha ha!

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #21 of 59
Why do people say "App Store" is a generic term? The generic term would be "An online service or website-hosted store for downloading either free or paid mobile or computer applications" ~ "App Store", "Marketplace" "Blackberry world" are all examples of this.
EDIT: also, Apple uses the file extension .app (OSX) or .ipa, iPhone Application, (iOS), whereas Android uses .apk. Who was the first company to uses or popularize either "app" or ".app"?
post #22 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post

Wrong Wrong!

It is an Android app store. Apple cant lose one sale to that as Apple doesnt sell a device that runs Android apps.

FYI: I agree they shouldnt be allowed to call it an appstore. Apple wouldnt be allowed to sell their operating system as Apple windows X

or someone label their drink "The Amazon Coke-a-Cola, the other softdrink"

But Amazon sells everything under the sun... Macs, PC's, Zunes, iPods, etc. It's so PC Mac intertwined... So if some former PC user buys an iPod Touch from Amazon and then goes to their App Store... It's bound to happen with someone!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Amazon has pushed forward to launch its Amazon store in the face of a new lawsuit from Apple. Filed last week, the complaint accuses Amazon of violating the "App Store" trademark for which Apple has applied.

It's like the saying goes; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh poor Google, they want so much to be just like Apple.

I take it that you don't really read the whole news, it is Amazon, not Google..
post #25 of 59
I hope Apple wins. Amazon was awarded that obvious patent for a one click purchasing button. Apple licensed it when it could have fought and probably won.

I do not recall the use of app store being used by anybody for commercial purposes prior to Apple. In any event, Apple made the term famous. Apple will win if Apple can show when people her the term they think of Apple. That seems easy to prove to me.



Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Apple doesn't have THE App Store. They have AN App Store.

I hope the lawsuit gets shot down.
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

But aside from that, they should be left alone. They're store that sell 'apps'. They're app stores, all of them.

That is exactly what Apple don't want to happen, if Apple let this 'Amazon Appstore' slide away without a fight, then the term 'app store' (no matter how they write it) will become a generic description. Just like the Apple Insider news up there has said..

You said you understand Apple's POV, then you should know Apple have to file a complaint and fight back.
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Behave Amazon... else apple will bring out an e-ink eBook and do it properly.

I just laugh hard, funny because it's actually true..
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

And who used app before Apple. It seems that everything from product to software to naming is copied from those who have no imagination or time to invest in originality.

Agree, no one ever think it's cool enough for commercial use, not until Apple made it popular. But now everyone want to name it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Most people see a link between App and Apple, App seemingly short for Apple. Now how cool is that.

So cool, that everyone want to name theirs like that too.
Wait, is this mean they want to be like Apple..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

The complains and pleas for assistance with a product that is so third rate it brings tears to the eyes and speed to the feet that are returning them.

Now that's one cool phrase, acknowledged it, like it, want to copy it..
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

[B]Meanwhile, the eXoom is still incomplete and buggy. Check out the eXoom and Android sights. The complains and pleas for assistance with a product that is so third rate it brings tears to the eyes and speed to the feet that are returning them.

As the great philosopher Nelson say, ha ha!

For someone complaining about people actually READING the article, maybe you could explain your childish rant about the Xoom. I don't recall any mention of it in the article. It seems more like silly "my prick is bigger than your prick" fanboi/girl nonsense to me. (I'm guessing "eXoom" was your attempt at some clever word play.)

And only an idiot thinks "app" is short for "apple." The term "app" was generic in the IT field long before Apple used the term. Here's a few web page titles using it:

Apps Turn Your Computer Into a Powerful DVR - PCWorld 6/22/2006
Quantum Computer Running Another App singularity- You Tube 2/1313/2007

And here's a good one:
App Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia
post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Let's see.
"App Store" is trademarked by Apple. Good. No one else should be allowed to use it. Let them come up with their own word.

Since "app" is shorthand for "application", I suggest Amazon do something similar and use the name "Appl Store" for their marketplace :-).

App is also a shortening of Apple, which is how many people view it.

How about Prog Market? Nobody would want that so Amazon would have it all to itself. Or, how about Amazon Market. Catchy. or Zonian Market? It would take some time and money to get it to be part of the vernacular, but could work.

How about Win Store for M$. Again, M$ would have it all to itself?

And how about Droid Closet or Droid Store or GoodWill Droid. More descriptive of what Android is all about?

And how about Google Stores or Google Market or Google 4 U or Google Vendor?

Thinking outside the box is Apple's game and that the others seem incapable of emulating.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Why do people say "App Store" is a generic term?

They who want to name their applications store that way, for example Microsoft and now Amazon.
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Nanneman View Post

Is it me, or is the Test Drive feature NOWHERE to be found on the main page nor on any of the app pages. If this is such an amazing feature, why is it so hard to find?

Its not just you I can't find anything related to Test Drive. Can someone please point out the obvious
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

App is also a shortening of Apple, which is how many people view it.

I guess ":-)" went right over your head.
A joke is so not funny when it has to be explained....
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

App is also a shortening of Apple, which is how many people view it.

When has "app" ever been actually used as a shortening of "apple?" Anywhere? By anyone?

Hey is that an App computer you've got?

Be sure to grab some Granny Smith apps while you're at the store.

Hey this sour app Jolly Rancher is really good!

App just held a press conference for the iPad 2.

nonsense...
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

However, with Mac App Store Apple said that trial versions were to be left on the developers website I have to think they have no inclination to include this option anytime soon.

I wonder what's Apple's reason to do so..?
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wrong. It will cost them all the sales of those confused enough to go to the Amazon app store instead of the Apple app store.

And when those poor confused souls try to purchase and download the Amazon Appstore app only to discover it won't run on their iPhone, will there be a return / refund policy?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #37 of 59
Appstore =/= App Store

Amazon is using one (made up) word, Apple is using one made up word and a real word.

Reminds me of Microsofts bullying against a child (Mike Rowe) who registered the domain name mikerowesoft.com
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And when those poor confused souls try to purchase and download the Amazon Appstore app only to discover it won't run on their iPhone, will there be a return / refund policy?

The question is, where can one find all these 'poor confused souls'? Who in the right mind would actually go to Amazon's store, whether it's called "appstore" or not, to look for iOS apps?

As I've mentioned before, Apple should be able to keep the trademark "App Store", but to say that "Amazon appstore" is similar to Apple's "App Store" to the eyes of iOS users is a huge stretch. Amazon is a well known brand and I don't see any iOS user would confuse that with the iTunes App Store.
post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This has been my number one request for the App Store since day one. They already have the mechanism in place with movie and TV show rentals within the FairPlay DRM. All they have to do is allow the developer set whether they want to allow trial versions, and perhaps allow select duration time periods.

However, with Mac App Store Apple said that trial versions were to be left on the developers website I have to think they have no inclination to include this option anytime soon. I hope that isnt the case.

I wonder if the extra download costs are a factor? When you listen to a sample of music, it's not actually downloading that much to you, and I assume the same with movie rentals (do they show you a clip), whereas a time limited app would involve downloading the whole thing.

Not sure if it's a big deal.
post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wrong. It will cost them all the sales of those confused enough to go to the Amazon app store instead of the Apple app store.

Err, how can they loose any sales. You buy the phone before you buy the app. If you have an iPhone you can only shop in the iTunes App Store, and if you have an android phone you can't.

Aside from the App Store argument, having a flick through the Amazon Appstore is actually a nice way to find apps and kind of highlights a lot of things Apple could have done with iTunes to make it better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Despite Apple suit, Amazon Appstore for Android debuts with free Angry Birds
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Despite Apple suit, Amazon Appstore for Android debuts with free Angry Birds