or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola doesn't plan orders for iPad-competing Xoom past June - report

Motorola doesn't plan orders for iPad-competing Xoom past June - report

post #1 of 57
Motorola will reportedly reduce orders for its Xoom tablet starting in the second quarter of 2011, and no orders are apparently scheduled past June, suggesting a Xoom successor and newer competitor to Apple's iPad 2 is already in the works.

Motorola's newly released Xoom tablet will already receive fewer orders from its manufacturer starting in the second quarter of 2011, according to Digitimes. Sources told the industry publication that Motorola will gradually drop its Xoom orders each month beginning in the second quarter.

Orders are expected to decrease to around 300,000 units in April, down from between 400,000 and 500,000 in March. And shipments will go below 300,000 in May, the report said.

In fact, Motorola's current schedule only has the company placing orders for the Xoom until the end of June, sources reportedly told the Taiwanese publication.

"The sources believe the unclear market status of iPad-like tablet PCs is the reason for Motorola to reduce its orders," the report said, "and the company may launch a new Xoom model in the second half after evaluating the situation."

Shipments of the Xoom are expected to reach between 3 million and 5 million in 2011. The Xoom was hyped with a Super Bowl advertisement before the 3G-radio-equipped version of the touchscreen tablet went on sale in February.

Those sales estimates are well behind the market leader, Apple's iPad 2. DigiTimes reported earlier this month that shipments of the iPad 2 are expected to reach between 10 million and 12 million in the second quarter of 2011 alone.

Apple is reportedly on track to hit a target of 40 million iPads produced in 2011. Apple sold a total of 15 million iPads from its debut in April 2010 until last December, for a total of $9.5 billion in revenue.
post #2 of 57
That was quick.
Well at least Moto is on the ball and picking it self up, dusting itself off and trying again.
post #3 of 57
Not that surprising. Hopefully they come out with something better thought of.
post #4 of 57
Man that sucks for the people who just bought the Xoom. The one year product upgrade cycles from Apple are bad enough, but less than 6 months? OUCH. I know this doesnt affect the acutal functionality of current Xooms, but still would have to make people who bought them wish they had waited a little.
post #5 of 57
Wow! They are already back to the drawing board like Samsung did?
post #6 of 57
I have yet to see a Xoom out in the wild. I travel two to three times per week, and all I see are people waiting for their planes using iPads, with the exception of one Dell Streak in--where else--Texas. I saw a family of four that had--wait a minute!--four iPads!
post #7 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post

Man that sucks for the people who just bought the Xoom. The one year product upgrade cycles from Apple are bad enough, but less than 6 months? OUCH. I know this doesnt affect the acutal functionality of current Xooms, but still would have to make people who bought them wish they had waited a little.

I'm interested in how long Moto will support the Xoom if they do have really quick release cycles? One year tops, maybe...
post #8 of 57
it could be the drop in production is simply tied to slow sales.
post #9 of 57
The obvious answer? Xoom with a slimmer profile and built-in LTE.
post #10 of 57
Quote:

This will be an ongoing problem with the clones in general and they struggle to find an iPad killer.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Motorola will reportedly reduce orders for its Xoom tablet starting in the second quarter of 2011, and no orders are apparently scheduled past June, suggesting a Xoom successor and newer competitor to Apple's iPad 2 is already in the works.

Or simply that no one is buying and the current supply on hand is enough to last indefinitely...
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Or simply that no one is buying and the current supply on hand is enough to last indefinitely...

Possibly.
post #13 of 57
Maybe next time they will actually finish the product before they start selling it.
post #14 of 57
Who is buying these things? seriously...
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This will be an ongoing problem with the clones in general and they struggle to find an iPad killer.

It is pretty difficult to just jump into the game at the very top as these competitors are attempting to do. Although Apple appeared to have leapt to the top of the smart phone market, it was actually a long well planned execution starting with iTunes, and the iPod ecosystem built over a period of several years that facilitated their success with iOS devices.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #16 of 57
That's just weird. If the Xoom was such a bad-ass, competitive product, why would it need a product revision this soon? It's not like the hardware is weak: losing some graphics benchmarks to the iPad 2 is nothing to be ashamed of. The other thing I don't get is the reduction in orders. Why do that if you anticipate stronger channel sales as the platform gains momentum?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 57
That was quick. Another "iPad killer" bites the dust. Bring on the next victims and prepare to be slaughtered.

post #18 of 57
"no orders are apparently scheduled past June, suggesting a Xoom successor and newer competitor to Apple's iPad 2 is already in the works"

Or:

"no orders are apparently scheduled past June, suggesting Motorola has given up attempting to compete with Apple in the tablet space"

I kinda doubt the latter possibility, since the potential market for tablets is so overwhelming. But still...
post #19 of 57
This is the difference between Apple and the clowns out there.
Apple will build a product from the ground up with almost un-parallel precision of it and finish while the competition just trolls out a ME TO device.
Apple controls their hardware and software. On the other hand Moto and Sammy just cranks out hardware with a 3rd party OS and hopes for the best. And this will be a continuing themes throughout this tablet zeitgeist.
post #20 of 57
Quote:

Would you prefer Apple waiting 2 years between upgrades? But then that will bring shouting matches as to why Apple waits so long.

Would you prefer Apple wait 6 months between upgrades? But then that will bring shouting matches as to why Apple changes products so quickly.

That's just the way technology goes. Buy your product and be happy with it. Who cares what's down the horizon because anything electronic is pretty much outdated the moment you buy it.

As far as motorola's actions go, they make money on the hardware only. There is nothing in it for them to keep the XOOM going. They have to try making the next plastic piece of junk and hope it sells enough for them to continue that cycle again.
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

We have a winner....

The current XOOM Tablet is being sold with a free upgrade offer to 4G.... It's production is to be phased out in favor on the new model that has 4G built in....
post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That was quick. Another "iPad killer" bites the dust. Bring on the next victims and prepare to be slaughtered.

Some of these killers are so deadly they kill themselves. Suicide Tablets?
post #23 of 57
Will those who bought the Xoom still be able to get the upgrades to "4G" and Flash down the track, as promised?
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #24 of 57
Just for some afternoon LOL's, I headed on over to a Xoom forum real quick to hear what some of the people were saying.

This development if true might put the remaing xooms in high demand. Whatever happens I bet they will sell out FAST!. I am glad I allready have 2 of them in my home!.

I'm cracking up here.
post #25 of 57
The Xoom was never a threat, still amazed people keep comparing it to the iPad, it's not even in the same class. Same for the Galaxy Tabs (78910 etc), HP Touchpads, Playbook, etc. The only OK tablet so far has been the Nook Color that's it.
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

RIP

Nokia
Zune

Now, Xoom

next up RIMM, then, Android
post #27 of 57
Quote:

Not true. An equally likely hypothesis is that no one has purchased either of the two Xooms they built, so there was no reason to build more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The Xoom was never a threat, still amazed people keep comparing it to the iPad, it's not even in the same class. Same for the Galaxy Tabs (78910 etc), HP Touchpads, Playbook, etc. The only OK tablet so far has been the Nook Color that's it.

That's not true. The Xoom is actually the most credible threat to the iPad out there at this time. Everyone else is offering half the screen size for the same price or more while Xoom offers equal screen size for only slightly more money. Xoom's features put it in the same class, as well.

It's silly to say the Nook Color is closer to the iPad than the Xoom. While the Nook Color is a decent product, it's only an e-reader and doesn't really compete with the iPad, at all.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not true. The Xoom is actually the most credible threat to the iPad out there at this time. Everyone else is offering half the screen size for the same price or more while Xoom offers equal screen size for only slightly more money. Xoom's features put it in the same class, as well.

A lot of windows tablets were same size as iPad as well, and offered even more features than iPad before, guess what, they didn't sell either. Xoom was never a threat not because of size or features, but because the experience is just not there. That's because Honeycomb is nowhere as polished as even Android 2.0, i.e. Xoom as a tablet is not even as good as the 1st Droid in terms of experience. Customers are confused, they don't know what they're doing when they play with a Xoom, just like those old Window Tablets.
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

"Xoom comes with Flash and 4G and other specifications that make it technically superior to iPad2"

It would be nice to hear from DaHard, nikon, and all the rest who professed that Xoom is better than iPad2, especially DaHard who claimed that he has both of them.

I wished someone took my bet in the other forum, I would have a high end iPad3 come March 2012.

The question now is: Will Motorola be a company with integrity and be true to its pledge to provide the Flash and the 4G features to those who preferred the Xoom over the iPad2 and shelled $599 to Verizon with 2-year contract.

I will pass by the Verizon branch near the Boylston Apple Store and see if the salesman there would still gloat how much more superior his Xoom is to his iPad. Maybe he is DaHard (grins). What I found disgusting was that his salespitch seemed to indicate that both Flash and the 4G were already in the Xoom that he was trying to foist to clueless consumers.

And, the old guy looking at the Xoom actually believed the sales pitch.

CGC
post #30 of 57
MotoSung Business Plan:

Wall Meet Shit.

Apply liberally and often.

End
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's just weird. If the Xoom was such a bad-ass, competitive product, why would it need a product revision this soon? It's not like the hardware is weak: losing some graphics benchmarks to the iPad 2 is nothing to be ashamed of. The other thing I don't get is the reduction in orders. Why do that if you anticipate stronger channel sales as the platform gains momentum?

The hardware may not be that weak, but when you lost out graphically to the iPad 2, who's performance INCREASED slightly when the scene was full-scene anti-aliased and beat you anyway from between 3-5x because it's effectively got two of the GPUs the Xoom has, and STILL NOT be able to undercut the iPad 2 on price, something has to be seriously wrong.

Only the cameras and an ever so slightly higher resolution display make Xoom even vaguely better than the iPad 2. Add to that crapper RAM in the Xoom, it's not looking pretty, and then the complete lack of form factor specific applications and it's pretty much dead!
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

This is the difference between Apple and the clowns out there.
Apple will build a product from the ground up with almost un-parallel precision of it and finish while the competition just trolls out a ME TO device.
Apple controls their hardware and software. On the other hand Moto and Sammy just cranks out hardware with a 3rd party OS and hopes for the best. And this will be a continuing themes throughout this tablet zeitgeist.

I wanted to post something like this, but I could not beat this articulation!
post #33 of 57
The problem with repeated failures like this is the consumer really starts to view any company touting itself as having as iPad killer as being suspect. So very quickly, these companies will not only have to overcome the iPad's feature set and quality, they will have to overcome the brand perception of failure. And that will be far more destructive than any sort of spec war.
post #34 of 57
So, just like they do with mobiles, they are going to roll out new models every quarter. Just get a nice refined product out there and Market it well.
post #35 of 57
At 3 to 5 million Xoom pads annually, versus 40 million of the iPads, guess we know where developer time will be spent. Another reason why its a bad idea to buy a Xoom. They are just too late to the party and do not have the infrastructure to support the device. The longer it takes to get there, the more they've lost not just the battle, but they've missed the war completely.
post #36 of 57
Feb 24th: Xoom released
Mar 22nd: Xoom production ramping down

That could be the shortest lived product since New Coke.

meanwhile people are still lining up daily to get iPad 2s

crazy that they are ramping down production while preparing for the release of the WiFi model.
post #37 of 57
Quote:

Or indicating it's not selling and they are worried about having to pull an Atari in the Arizona desert...
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

. Xoom's features put it in the same class, as well.

Hardware maybe, but not in software.

And it still costs more.

Yup, that's going to be successful...
post #39 of 57
The last thing they can afford to do is have a million XOOM's filling up a warehouse somewhere. Whether or not these things are being sold, the smart thing to do is to ramp down production, especially in light of the non-Apple competition is doing. The other Android manufacturers are either cheaper and lighter or have some kind of differentiating features. XOOM doesn't. Sell what you can without discounting, lick your wounds and live to fight another day.
post #40 of 57
So are they basically saying there really isn't any pent up demand for tablets, just iPads!?

I mean if there were so many people waiting for an alternative to the iPad before they dove into tablet computing, they sure aren't seeing a viable competitor in the Xoom then. If Android was a real challenger and much, much more popular than iOS, then why aren't Fandroids rushing out to get the Xoom!?

The bottom line seems to be that no one is really interest in Android and many may not even be interested in tablets. What seems to be the case, is that people are interested in the iPad, just as we saw with the iPod vs. MP3 players almost a decade ago. It might be safe to predict that this market will closely follow the MP3 market although the growth is certainly much faster.

Android in the smart phone market is a complete fluke; a perfectly timed release when OEMs had no where else to turn. Most consumers don't place a lot of value in phones; they are basically nothing more than necessities in a modern world. So who ever can push out the cheapest phones will gain the larger slice of the market.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Motorola doesn't plan orders for iPad-competing Xoom past June - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola doesn't plan orders for iPad-competing Xoom past June - report