or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung announces new Galaxy Tab models with iPad prices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung announces new Galaxy Tab models with iPad prices - Page 4

post #121 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

precisely, samsung are horrible also at supporting their products...and let's not go into the software side at all, good luck with finding out who's gonna support this tablet, non existent google customer support, or non existent samsung support.

You dont need customer support if your products are working correctly.

Obvious the case for the need in customer service says something about Apple.

Notice how easily your statement can be turned around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

How do tout a better screen for a device that does not yet exist against one that does exist?





http://www.oled-display.net/smd-show...ips-technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I think Galaxy tab is the only competitor from the android side of the house, though I feel like samsung must have copied something in the fabrication process if they were able to get the size and weight down so fast.

You cant do that in 2 weeks. Samsung obviously was in the middle of developing their next generation Galaxy Tab when Apple announced their iPad 2. The more likely case is that this next generation Galaxy Tab was pulled ahead one generation earlier to be on the market.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #122 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

You cant do that in 2 weeks. Samsung obviously was in the middle of developing their next generation Galaxy Tab when Apple announced their iPad 2. The more likely case is that this next generation Galaxy Tab was pulled ahead one generation earlier to be on the market.

It can not be done in 2 weeks, which is why they showed off a vaporware tablet which couldn't even be turned on. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed off an empty tablet with nothing at all inside of it. Maybe they put some weights inside of it.

I would say that a more likely explanation than the one you are giving is that their tablet was completed and they absolutely went into a panic after Apple revealed the iPad 2 and they completely scrapped the design of their current tablet.

That's why they showed off a preliminary vaporware tablet with a new design that they quickly concocted. It won't be out until the summertime, so they now have a few months to make it all work. And it should be noted that the new design is larger than the old design in terms of the length and width dimensions.
post #123 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It can not be done in 2 weeks, which is why they showed off a vaporware tablet which couldn't even be turned on. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed off an empty tablet with nothing at all inside of it. Maybe they put some weights inside of it.

I would say that a more likely explanation than the one you are giving is that their tablet was completed and they absolutely went into a panic after Apple revealed the iPad 2 and they completely scrapped the design of their current tablet.

That's why they showed off a preliminary vaporware tablet with a new design that they quickly concocted. It won't be out until the summertime, so they now have a few months to make it all work. And it should be noted that the new design is larger than the old design in terms of the length and width dimensions.


Vaporware = showcased product that will not make production.

This product will.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #124 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Vaporware = showcased product that will not make production.

This product will.

"Vaporware" is pretending a product exists when it doesn't (yet).

For example: Even if Vista wasn't a pale shadow of what Longhorn promised, it still would have spent 7 or 8 years as vaporware.
post #125 of 140
The most important issue in the tablet fight is that with the increase competition it gives us consumers better products. Right now apple owns the tablet market because of user experience. You don't see people lining up to buy the other tablets. I want to buy an ipad but it doesn’t exactly fits my needs. But I will buy an ipad for my wife because the ipad fits her needs. One thing that I don't see mention is that when you use the internet the amount of advertisement that is flash driven. Click on yahoo or wired and the advertisements are really getting in your face now. Flash is good for some things but how much dose it drive up your Mobile data costs? I wonder if anybody has research this. The 800-pound gorilla in the closet is cloud computing. If Apple makes their applicants cloud base for use on the ipad then it makes the ipad truly a post PC product. Which would give Apple a big advantage over other tablets because they don't have the infrastructure to do it. What a lot people writing on this forum do not understand is that user experience not specs drives sales.
post #126 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

Keynote, Pages, and Numbers on the iPad: YES, They're a joke.. Even with a keyboard and a jailbreak for mouse support these apps can't even hold a candle to OpenOffice, let alone Microsoft Office. Even if you used them as a replacement to a traditional computer for simple document creation, you can barely export the damn things and ensure they'll work across platforms. NONE of the files I've ever exported from the iPad's office suite work exactly the same in the office standard, MS Office. If Apple can't get XML and ZIP files right, why even mention this as reliable software. Furthermore, there are a lot of apps in the App Store that do a lot better job than Apple's offerings. Even if they do cost a lot more, they're worth every penny.
[B]

Could you elaborate on this some more? I'd love some honest feedback on somebody's experience. But invariably I come across two kinds of commenters: those who think the iPad is flawless and those who think the iPad is completely flawed. It's good to read honest feedback from somebody with actual experience.
post #127 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

The Honeycomb UI is the one reason I cancelled my iPad 2 order and will be waiting for the Tab 10.1. I'm far too much of a multitasker to comfortably use the iOS UI. The lack of real tabbed browsing is massively annoying as well -- Honeycomb's Chrome-like browser is a huge plus for me, considering 99% of my use will be web browsing. The fact that it has a superior gmail client and notifications is also what pushes me over the edge, as when I'm not using it to browse the web, I'll be in gmail.

Then I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed. Honeycomb's web browsing experience is a poor clone of Safari's. Not only does it feel slower, but it doesn't work that well. So if you'll be spending your time mostly in Chrome...I'm sorry.
post #128 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

The people who want apps like GarageBand are already buying iPads. Frankly, I still don't see the allure to those types of apps.

Desktop quality apps on a tablet has no allure. Gotcha. The point isn't whether GarageBand is useful to you but that GarageBand raised the bar in tablet apps to a higher level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

The lack of real tabbed browsing is massively annoying as well -- Honeycomb's Chrome-like browser is a huge plus for me, considering 99% of my use will be web browsing.

It's amazing that "real tabbed browsing" is so important to your purchase decision that you couldn't simply Google "ipad tabbled browser" and find out that there are several in the app store. I use Atomic and Perfect although I hear that iCab is excellent as well.

Why do I smell troll when someone proclaims that they cancelled their iPad 2 order because they wanted tabbed browsing and that apps are unimportant.
post #129 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

You dont need customer support if your products are working correctly.

This makes no sense.


I didn't say that the screen technology doesn't exist. I'm saying the Galaxy Tab that uses this screen doesn't exist.

Mass production of the device is completely different from a demo.
post #130 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

Wow, if they can make autocad in an app you'd think they could make an app to help with condo shopping so you wouldn't have to rely on Flash.

Wierd that he couldn't google condo and app either and find Redfin...
post #131 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Could you elaborate on this some more? I'd love some honest feedback on somebody's experience. But invariably I come across two kinds of commenters: those who think the iPad is flawless and those who think the iPad is completely flawed. It's good to read honest feedback from somebody with actual experience.

iWork is kinda a work in progress (heh) at the moment given that the iPad and Mac versions don't play all that well together. The expectation is that when iWork 11 finally gets released you wont have these issues. Until then it's not quite as useful as it could be.

If Keynote gets the GarageBand makeover then it'll be the killer productivity app for the iPad. I'm hoping that will appear when iWork 11 appears.

Office compatibility is an issue with anything that isn't Office. Some are better and some are worse but I'd still go with iWork over OpenOffice. If you are a making presentations then Keynote is worth the Powerpoint compatibility hassles although I wish Apple would simply make a Keynote Player for windows.
post #132 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Could you elaborate on this some more? I'd love some honest feedback on somebody's experience. But invariably I come across two kinds of commenters: those who think the iPad is flawless and those who think the iPad is completely flawed. It's good to read honest feedback from somebody with actual experience.

Keynote is NOT a joke on the iPad. It is genuinely useful, even though it is not on feature parity with the desktop version, but close enough that it wasn't a problem. I created a presentation, complete with transitions, vector graphics imported from OmniGraffle for iPad, animation, and clipart lifted off Google image search. All done entirely on the iPad. Then I was able to connect the iPad to a projector using the VGA adapter, and when they asked for the slides, I mailed it to myself, opened it in iWork, then saved it in PowerPoint format and mailed it out.

Was it better than using a MacBook and the desktop version of Keynote? No, but it wasn't a joke either. For most people, it could function as their main presentation tool.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #133 of 140
do the Android ardent supporters who come here to trumpet the blessed loveliness of that platform invariably default to phrases like:

"The next version will do all that..."
"the current beta is working out the bugs"
"that will be the most awesome platform eva"
"as soon as there are more apps..."
"someday"
"just wait"
"soon"
"next year sometime"

It seems there is a pattern there. When will it be "tomorrow", when will Android have enough apps, or the best quality apps (instead of the "me-too" apps or yet another hack). When will open produce awesome, secure, variety and interest in the mainstream consumer?

Sometime after Google benches Android and gives ChromeOS the spotlight.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #134 of 140
I get tired of Android fanboys always using the tabbed browser as some kind of big reason why they think Honeycomb is so great. When they totally leave out the fact that there are several other browsers for the iPad that have tabs also. Such as the Atomic browser, and Skyfire, and another one. And those other browser are also better than Safari.


As for this Samung, it may not be thinner as claimed. This news article shows them side by side, and the iPad 2 is definitely thinner in the photo.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...SSfeed_IWK_All
post #135 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This makes no sense.

I didn't say that the screen technology doesn't exist. I'm saying the Galaxy Tab that uses this screen doesn't exist.

Mass production of the device is completely different from a demo.

If it isn't meant for mass production, why would they mention it in the presentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC93 View Post

I get tired of Android fanboys always using the tabbed browser as some kind of big reason why they think Honeycomb is so great. When they totally leave out the fact that there are several other browsers for the iPad that have tabs also. Such as the Atomic browser, and Skyfire, and another one. And those other browser are also better than Safari.


As for this Samung, it may not be thinner as claimed. This news article shows them side by side, and the iPad 2 is definitely thinner in the photo.

The model on the floor is for the older models with thicker design. The shipping version is much thinner.



Top: iPad 2
2nd: Motorola Xoom
3rd: Galaxy Tab 8.9
4th: Galaxy Tab 10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This makes no sense.

You dont get it do you?

What is the purpose of customer support? Its to help or assist those customer who has trouble with their device. If a company designed their product well enough, the customer wont need the assistance of customer support.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #136 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

You dont get it do you?

What is the purpose of customer support? Its to help or assist those customer who has trouble with their device. If a company designed their product well enough, the customer wont need the assistance of customer support.

Maybe he's never had a product that he didn't need support with. Plus what support would you actually need for a tablet? It either works or it doesn't and you take it back.

I've always found it ironic that people say Apple products are well built, easy to use and just work. Yet with all those genius bars they must have one of the biggest support bills in the industry.
post #137 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The model on the floor is for the older models with thicker design. The shipping version is much thinner.

Top: iPad 2
2nd: Motorola Xoom
3rd: Galaxy Tab 8.9
4th: Galaxy Tab 10.1

So in other words you are calling the very well respected InformationWeek as liars? They aren't idiots, they knew which of the two were the newer models (the newer non working model was behind a glass) Another article referred to his article stating they took it out of the case for him to hold because he requested it.

Let alone the fact that the photos you posted, you have a stupid case on the back of the Ipad. What kind of biased comparison is that? Jeez.
post #138 of 140
http://technologizer.com/2011/03/25/...laxy-tab-fans/

"I also discovered that my friend Fritz Nelson of InformationWeek had beat me to the boothand he told me that he was trying to get Samsung to give him a Tab he could hold and judge."

That makes two people who were there to back up this story.
post #139 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

If it isn't meant for mass production, why would they mention it in the presentation?

Announcing a future product and actually mass producing are two entirely different states of being.

Quote:
You dont get it do you?

What is the purpose of customer support? Its to help or assist those customer who has trouble with their device. If a company designed their product well enough, the customer wont need the assistance of customer support.

No customer support is not only to assist customers with problems. Customer support is to assist customers with any help they need with the product. Customer service can answer questions and help a customer in deciding to buy the product in the first place.

Can you name an electronics company that releases a product and knows this product is going to work 100% of the time and everyone out there will automatically know how to use it. To such certainty that they have no customer support set up?
post #140 of 140
Galbi stated that you don't need customer support if your products are working correctly. I said that statement makes no sense. What company has ever launched an electronic device and already knew this product is going to work 100% of the time and everyone is already going to know how to use it?

Apple does much more in its stores than repair. If a person has never used a tablet before, don't you think it would be important to have a support team that can assist people with learning how to use them? A support team that can present the value of a tablet and how it can be useful in a potential customers everyday activity.

This is all apart customer support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Maybe he's never had a product that he didn't need support with. Plus what support would you actually need for a tablet? It either works or it doesn't and you take it back.

I've always found it ironic that people say Apple products are well built, easy to use and just work. Yet with all those genius bars they must have one of the biggest support bills in the industry.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung announces new Galaxy Tab models with iPad prices