or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple may license AirPlay video streaming to third-party HDTV makers

Apple may license AirPlay video streaming to third-party HDTV makers - Page 3

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, I'm just kind of taking a position and running with it, but I can't disagree that such a move would run counter to Apple's history.

I guess I just personally feel that Apple could do itself a lot of good by allowing aTV to start showing up in new OEM sets. It would go a long way as legitimatizing them as "the" media hub, much as Netflix clients have made Netflix the de facto streaming movie service.

I mean, just imagine if most new sets came with aTV built in. And you realized that if you had an iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch, sharing content suddenly becomes vastly easier. And your iTunes library is suddenly liberated. And if you're not using iTunes, you really have to consider it. It would just be such a huge win.

Just to be clear, Im all for that happening.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #82 of 91
Quote:

Licensing AirPlay makes vastly more sense than building TVs.

I absolutely agree with you on this one. The TV market is a cutthroat business with very slim margins and Apple typically avoids low margin products. I would however be very concerned with how licensing AirPlay would affect aTV sales.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #83 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Talking about yourself in the 3rd person is odd.

2) Repost your mockups that copy/pasted Mac OS on your tablet and Ill try to located all those threads where you told me I was wrong for saying it wouldnt use Mac OS, but leverage iPhone OS and how you adamnetly denied that was possible because it would then be useless.

(Typos aside) I recall the same as you do.

And, yes, I also agree with #1. It is a bit odd.
post #84 of 91
@ Ireland,

My sincerest apologies. My replies to you in this thread were too scathing. I would like to blame my damn cold/flu but that is no excuse to some of the things I wrote.
post #85 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

"Game Over, Man!"

Nice Aliens reference!
post #86 of 91
Quote:

@ Ireland,

My sincerest apologies. My replies to you in this thread were too scathing. I would like to blame my damn cold/flu but that is no excuse to some of the things I wrote.

Nice of you to say that.

One has to acknowledge that Ireland (warts and all) has been consistently one of the more prescient members of this forum. I am inclined to believe his hunch on Apple's tv.
post #87 of 91
Quote:

@ Ireland,

Oh man, you too? I feel like hell. I'm watching random television that I never watch and I'm kind of hypnotized by horror.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #88 of 91
Quote:

Oh man, you too? I feel like hell. I'm watching random television that I never watch and I'm kind of hypnotized by horror.

I think my brothers kids gave it to me last week. They are from the Oakland-ish area so you might be Patient Zero.
post #89 of 91
Quote:

I think my brothers kids gave it to me last week. They are from the Oakland-ish area so you might be Patient Zero.

As much as I would actually enjoy that, I picked it up at the school in SF where I work. Half the staff and faculty are down, as best as I can tell. And I've only had it since Sunday.

Last week, you say? Are you seeing any improvement? I'm wondering how long this one usually goes.

Probably time to link to this: Man cold!
post #90 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermark View Post

Thanks for giving it a read. :-) In part, what Apple would be doing here is akin to what Android has done in smartphone. Target a vendor with a hardware centric view of the universe, who is only too happy to outsource the software layer to a third party. I think the difference is that if Apple does it, they are going to want a consistent user experience.

As others have noted, Apple has a religious aversion to OEM'ing its technology. They sell whole, living, breathing chickens -- not random chicken parts. Hence, I think this one makes sense to the extent it really is a delivery vehicle for iTunes and a proxy connector between iOS devices and TVs.

I just can't get my head around a scenario where Apple is selling a product with a 5-10 year lifecycle that takes up massive floor space. Where's the efficiency in that? At the same time, you know in Jobs lifecycle model, living room is the 4.0 (iPod = 1.0; iPhone/iPod touch = 2.0; iPad = 3.0) so something ubiquitous has to play there.

Quote:

iPods and computers, however, are entirely self-contained experiences. Apple doesn't license the software for those because they want to control the experience.

AppleTV is a different beast, in that it must rely on a third party TV to function. It's already an accessory to someone else's hardware, and therefore unlike anything else Apple makes. Putting the aTV into the set doesn't really change anything, it just makes widespread uptake that much more likely.

And there's no reason for a licensed aTV function to dilute the Apple brand-- once you're in aTV, you're in Apple's hands. It's like an Apple channel on your set. For the user there would be absolutely no difference from switching to the appropriate HDMI input as they do now and switching to a dedicated AppleTV menu item. Apple could of course set hardware requirements as part of the licensing deal to make sure they didn't get crappy versions out there.

Quote:

I understand your position and you make a great case, as usual, I just can’t shake the idea of Apple giving up that much of the AppleTV experience to license to 3rd-parties. To quote hypermark, “Apple has a religious aversion to OEM'ing its technology. They sell whole, living, breathing chickens -- not random chicken parts.”

The only unknown here (and possibly still unknown to Apple) is how to finally capture the HEC. So far no one has done it except for the cable and sat companies but Jobs convinced me that making their own cable/sat box wasn’t an option do to inconsistencies with network designs. The network shunning GoogleTV seems to make it even harder for Apple to get in bed with cable/sat setup box makers (though I don’t think anyone even mentioned that as an option).

Here's the good thing -- The "Apple Channel" on your TV set is a great way to think of it:
-- media from the iTunes store
-- media from YouTube Netflix
-- media from your local iTunes [servers]
-- Now, The Apple Channel brings you AirPlay from your iDevices

Here's the Bad thing -- its very awkward to use -- say, you are watching TV and want to watch the Apple Channel doing AirPlay from your iPad:

1) set down your iPad
2) find and pick up your universal remote (ATT u-verse for me)
3) look for and tap the button to switch to control of the TV (make a mental note to switch back to control of the STB)
4) press the Menu button to display the TV settings (Sony Bravia, in my case)
5) navigate to the menu item to select the TV port connected to AppleTV
6) press the OK button and the TV switches to AppleTV
7) set down the universal remote
8) find and pick up the AppleTV remote (could be an iDevice running the remote app)
9) look at the AppleTV Remote and navigate to where you want to be (just to make sure it is awake)
10) set down the AppleTV Remote
11) locate the iPad with the AirPlay content and pick it up
12) hit the home button to re-awaken it
13) slide the unlock slider
14) double-tap the home button to display the Task Bar
15) tap the icon to resume the app with the AirPlay content -- videos, for example
16) scroll and tap to select the video you want to air play -- the info screen is shown
17) tap the arrow to begin play of the video on the iPad
18) tap the screen to bring up the video player controls
19) tap the pause button
20) tap the AirPlay control to show a list of the available AirPlay devices
21) scroll to show the AppleTV
22) tap the AppleTV item in the list -- the display changes to indicate that the content is "playing" on the AppleTV
23) it probably isn't playing yet
24) use the scrub bar or the ||<< button to position the video to the beginning
25) tap the play arrow to (hopefully) begin AirPlaying the content to trhe AppleTV
26) set down the iPad
27) find and pick up the universal remote control
28) adjust the volume as necessary
29) set down the universal remote

30) Sit back, relax and enjoy!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #91 of 91
This thread cannot die. lol
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple may license AirPlay video streaming to third-party HDTV makers