or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › International iPad 2 lines form as Apple begins taking online preorders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

International iPad 2 lines form as Apple begins taking online preorders

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
With the iPad 2 set to go on sale in just a matter of hours in some countries, lines have begun to form around the world, and some of Apple's online stores have begun taking preorders.

The iPad 2 is set to go on sale on Friday at 5 p.m. local time in 25 countries. Like in the U.S., those who want to get the new touchscreen tablet on the first day will need to go to a brick-and-mortar retail store.

Those who want to be among the first to get their hands on the iPad 2 have already begun to line up across the globe. AppleInsider has received reports from readers who have witnessed long lines in Australia, Germany, the U.K. and more.

Online preorders for the iPad 2 have also begun in many countries, with more to come as countries reach 1 a.m. local time on Friday. Unlike in the U.S., where new orders have an estimated shipping time of four to five weeks, new online orders in Australia ship in two to three weeks.

But if the U.S. launch and online sales are any indication, those estimated shipping dates will likely slip as orders continue to pile up. When Apple first began taking iPad 2 orders via its U.S. store, initial shipping estimates were just two to three days.

iPad 2 line in Australia. Photo via Flickr user Beau Giles.

Apple has faced incredible demand for the iPad 2 in the U.S., and has struggled to keep the device in stock at more than 10,000 retail outlets around the country. The company's inability to meet demand in the U.S. has led to speculation that similar stockouts will occur around the world.

Last year, strong sales of the first-generation iPad forced Apple to delay the international launch of the device by a month. But Apple has stuck by its March 25 introduction for the iPad 2 in all countries but Japan, due to the recent earthquake disaster.



iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K. on March 25 for a suggested retail price of $499 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $599 (U.S.) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $729 (U.S.) for the 32GB model and $829 (U.S.) for the 64GB model.

The iPad 2 will also be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April, and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced by Apple at a later date.
post #2 of 53
Ahhh... the George Street Apple Store in Sydney. I was there about 8 hours ago, it was crowded but there was no line yet. Enjoy your new iPads - Tricycle for the Mind (TM).
post #3 of 53
The information in the article is outdated, because US online orders have been moved up and are no longer 4-5 weeks.
post #4 of 53
I'm still waiting for shipping confirmation from MacMall.com for mine.

They said first week of April, but I'm hoping it's sooner.
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The information in the article is outdated, because US online orders have been moved up and are no longer 4-5 weeks.

It now says 3-4 weeks.
post #6 of 53
This shows the popularity and appeal of Apple products even internationally.
Bravo Apple.
post #7 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

It now says 3-4 weeks.

Yes. I'm just waiting for my Apple online order to get bumped up, because I just checked, and the shipping time remains the same.
post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Ahhh... the George Street Apple Store in Sydney. I was there about 8 hours ago, it was crowded but there was no line yet. Enjoy your new iPads - Tricycle for the Mind (TM).

I hope the homeless people continue to harass them.
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

I hope the homeless people continue to harass them.

You know, that gives me a great idea. If I were there, I'd totally pay a homeless guy $50 to wait in line for me. Would save my time and give them some much-needed cash.
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

You know, that gives me a great idea. If I were there, I'd totally pay a homeless guy $50 to wait in line for me. Would save my time and give them some much-needed cash.

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Hate to use the term, but that's bi-winning.
post #11 of 53
this is nuts. i don't understand this.

why are there so many people that have to have it day 1? What will you lose by waiting 3-4 weeks for a package to come?

this is insane.

don't get me wrong, i'm happy about this! i just don't understand it. (i'd be happier if the stock price were affected by this in some way)...
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

this is nuts. i don't understand this.

why are there so many people that have to have it day 1? What will you lose by waiting 3-4 weeks for a package to come?

this is insane.

don't get me wrong, i'm happy about this! i just don't understand it. (i'd be happier if the stock price were affected by this in some way)...

I stood in line last year for my iPhone4 , but standing in line for an iPad, Nah,.. i will give this a miss,
post #13 of 53
At 11pm Apple should give all the folks in the queue a number and ask them to be back tomorrow morning at 7am. Same order.
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojala View Post

At 11pm Apple should give all the folks in the queue a number and ask them to be back tomorrow morning at 7am. Same order.

Yes, same order, but minimal press exposure and much less free advertising about how much people want to get an iPad 2.

What you're suggesting works great where there's no marketing value in having a long line (or where the line might actually hurt your image), but that's just not the case for the iPad 2.
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Ahhh... the George Street Apple Store in Sydney. I was there about 8 hours ago, it was crowded but there was no line yet. Enjoy your new iPads - Tricycle for the Mind (TM).

Still fixated on this obsolete analogy. We passed the bicycle-for-the-mind age in the 1980s, the truck-for-the-mind age in the 90s, the sports-car-for-the-mind age in the 00s. We're now using the ultralight airplane for the mind.

Marshall McLuhan: We drive into the future with our eyes fixed firmly on the rear-view mirror.

Not all of us. He did not mean people like Steve Jobs, or himself, of course.

But people who do not get the iPad and the new paradigm are holding back progress, at least mental progress. Gruber links to a piece in PCWorld which demonstrates just how bad rearview mirror vision can get. "Why Tablets Are Just a Fad":

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ust_a_fad.html
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojala View Post

At 11pm Apple should give all the folks in the queue a number and ask them to be back tomorrow morning at 7am. Same order.

Wishful thinking, what about people who show up overnight when the store is closed only to find out they have NO chance of getting an iPad even if they are first in line and waited all night.

I can see it now, Libya all over again... or... still.
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

this is nuts. i don't understand this.

why are there so many people that have to have it day 1? What will you lose by waiting 3-4 weeks for a package to come?

this is insane.

don't get me wrong, i'm happy about this! i just don't understand it. (i'd be happier if the stock price were affected by this in some way)...

This is one of the few times when it probably makes sense. With the ongoing problems in Japan, which have adversely impacted Apple's ability to make iPads and iPhones given a shortage of Japanese-made components, there is no guarantee that Apple are going to be able to ramp production any time soon. What's being sold at this launch were probably made before the earthquake struck, so if you want an iPad2 any time soon, best get in line.
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

You know, that gives me a great idea. If I were there, I'd totally pay a homeless guy $50 to wait in line for me. Would save my time and give them some much-needed cash.

I'm sure the homeless guy wouldn't just wait for you to leave then roll out.
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg,, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain. on March 25 for a suggested retail price of $499 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $599 (U.S.) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $729 (U.S.) for the 32GB model and $829 (U.S.) for the 64GB model.


I hope you are aware that we use Euro to pay. It's 479 and so on for the WiFi model and 599 an so on for the 3G one
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Wishful thinking, what about people who show up overnight when the store is closed only to find out they have NO chance of getting an iPad even if they are first in line and waited all night.

What about them? Put a sign on the door saying "All iPads for March 25th have been spoken for.
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Hate to use the term, but that's bi-winning.

Then use the traditional term "win-win" that isn't tied to celebrity of the week.
post #22 of 53
Based on what happened in the U.S., I'm not at all surprised by the lines. If I were elsewhere and I wanted an iPad, I'd probably wait in a line, too. No telling how quickly they'll sell out and how long the wait will be to get one on-line. Keep in mind, 3-4 weeks in the US does *not* mean 3-4 weeks everywhere else. Many of the iPads are packaged specifically for that country.
post #23 of 53
Does the pre-order for Canada start at 1am Eastern or 1am Pacific? At what time did the pre-order for USA start?
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

Does the pre-order for Canada start at 1am Eastern or 1am Pacific? At what time did the pre-order for USA start?

It did say PST in the official press release but Australians can already order I hear... so god knows. I'd say refresh that page as of 1am, then every little while after.
Fact is they are just trying to keep their 'promise', the units are ready and waiting to be purchased.
post #25 of 53
Small Apple reseller ftw.
If early signs from across Europe prove correct, the best outlets to secure one of those babies tomorrow without having to sell your soul for it or lose your job is go the less traveled route...
post #26 of 53
I think the price for the UK is cheaper than the same time last year? £399 for 16GB WiFi iPad 2. I am sure I bought one last year for £410+ ..
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

Does the pre-order for Canada start at 1am Eastern or 1am Pacific? At what time did the pre-order for USA start?

Still amazes me that Canada doesn't get everything the same time as the US. The two countries are as close to being one country as you can get and it's not like it costs more to ship to Ottowa or Vancouver, than say New York.
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

I hope you are aware that we use Euro to pay. It's 479 and so on for the WiFi model and 599 an so on for the 3G one

The prices they've quoted there are US only. 479 is about $680 (US) which is a huge premium. I thought the amount Aussies had to pay in excess ($30 taking GST into account) was stupid, but it's worse in Europe. The Aussie dollar is at parity with the US, so we shouldn't be paying more than $499 + GST = $549 (not $579) for the base model. With the volume of units imported, I doubt that duty for each unit is $30.
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopejr View Post

The prices they've quoted there are US only. 479 is about $680 (US) which is a huge premium. I thought the amount Aussies had to pay in excess ($30 taking GST into account) was stupid, but it's worse in Europe. The Aussie dollar is at parity with the US, so we shouldn't be paying more than $499 + GST = $549 (not $579) for the base model. With the volume of units imported, I doubt that duty for each unit is $30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

I hope you are aware that we use Euro to pay. It's 479 and so on for the WiFi model and 599 an so on for the 3G one

Groan. Here we go again.

Please complain to your politicians, and stop the whining. It's your taxes, mostly (apart from exchange rate volatility, pricing-to-market, higher retailing costs, prices of comparable electronic products, electronics recycling laws and other regulations whose costs are built in, etc. etc.).
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Still amazes me that Canada doesn't get everything the same time as the US. The two countries are as close to being one country as you can get and it's not like it costs more to ship to Ottowa or Vancouver, than say New York.

Mexico doesn't either.
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Still amazes me that Canada doesn't get everything the same time as the US. The two countries are as close to being one country as you can get and it's not like it costs more to ship to Ottowa or Vancouver, than say New York.

I don't think it's about shipping cost or distance. It's about supply. They couldn't keep up with the demand in the states. Shipping to Canada or Mexico or any other country at the same time would have just further decreased supply.
post #32 of 53
Well, Apple's checkout system seems to be overwhelmed. I tried for more than 20minutes to get to checkout with my iPad 2 order and failed.
post #33 of 53
Well clearly u don't pay him till u come back and take the spot.
post #34 of 53
I may or may not get one. But defiantly won't wait all day for one.
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroat View Post

Well clearly u don't pay him till u come back and take the spot.

No way the homeless guy will trust you to come back. They'll need money up front. Further, what would prevent the homeless guy from selling it to another person for > $50 before you show back up? It's just a bad idea all around IMO paying a stranger to stand in line.
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Well, Apple's checkout system seems to be overwhelmed. I tried for more than 20minutes to get to checkout with my iPad 2 order and failed.

What country store are you referring to?
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

What country store are you referring to?

Dutch. But I guess that all (European) Stores share a resource pool. This was between 2am and 2:30am Central European Time. I gave up and just now (7am) I tried again and the order went through easily.
post #38 of 53
I was able to place my order tonight at 2:18 am local time, Germany. Estimated shipping date will be april, 27. Glad to get it before my summer holidays but much later than i have hoped for.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Still fixated on this obsolete analogy. We passed the bicycle-for-the-mind age in the 1980s, the truck-for-the-mind age in the 90s, the sports-car-for-the-mind age in the 00s. We're now using the ultralight airplane for the mind.

I'm not sure why you think my (Steve's really) analogy is obsolete. The saying "A computer is a bicycle for the mind," has nothing to do with bicycles, it merely refers to effort amplification. The actual machine in question could be anything. The fact that computers have gone through phases with emphasis on speed, then portability does not obsolete their role as an amplifier of the mind's power.

Me saying that Apple now produces "Tricycles for the mind," is merely a riff on Steve's original saying because I am annoyed that Apple is focussing on devices that I regard as fundamentally unserious. A moral hardworking person works most of the time, and yes, uses entertainment devices, but only to recharge with, not as the primary activity of their life, such as gaming or TV addicts. As a moral company Apple should follow the same pattern, focussing on the Mac with the iPad as secondary.
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by titusm View Post

I was able to place my order tonight at 2:18 am local time, Germany. Estimated shipping date will be april, 27. Glad to get it before my summer holidays but much later than i have hoped for.

Order placed at around 1:10am Pacific time. Available: 2 to 3 weeks. Receive it: within 8-12 business days after by Standard Shipping.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • International iPad 2 lines form as Apple begins taking online preorders
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › International iPad 2 lines form as Apple begins taking online preorders