or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims

Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims - Page 4

post #121 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

that video was awful. the intros, the content, the whiteness of the actors' eyes....yeesh....
what are they trying to sell? the utility/market of/for a tablet?? (I think another company has proven that pretty well). I mean it's a classical advertising/rhetorical set up....but seriously? now? maybe in 1999. wow.

What else is Samsung going to do? Beat the iPad?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #122 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Anyone who cannot see through the deception "deserves" to be deceived because (s)he is not using his/her mind.

...then it wouldn't be Deception... it would be a transparent lie and viewers would recognize the transparency.

In this case the deception was short lived. Thank you to those that uncovered the lie. I really appreciate it.
post #123 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The stories are real. The actors are representative of the real story.

How do you know?
post #124 of 189
Quote:

The real life players probably refused to do the interview but gave the story to Samsung. Samsung used it with hired actors to portray them.

Whats so "news worthy" about this? Another lame attempt by Apple fans to pick on something as frivolous as actors.

This just goes to show you how much Apple fans are taking Samsung seriously if they have to stoop down this low just to win bragging rights.

Forgive me if I'm being nitpicky but don't you usually have to have a real story to portray a real story or are you saying that the actors pretending to be actual customers is the real story and they made a real story about a fake story... or.... uh... sorry, I'm confused... could you help me out a little...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #125 of 189
Quote:

Quote:

The real life players probably refused to do the interview but gave the story to Samsung.

Quote:

This just goes to show you how much Apple fans are taking Samsung seriously if they have to stoop down this low just to win bragging rights.

iPad launch.

Samsung (or any other tablet) launch.

post #126 of 189
Quote:

Bill Gates showed a tablet with stylus ca 2005? and believed it was to become the future of personal computing. But Bill Gates dreams did not resonate with the consumers, primarily because he was thinking of it mainly as a computer (for techies); computers that many average consumers are afraid to use-- because they do not want to feel stupid with such a foreign machine, the computer.

Remember what Gates said, after he saw the iPad? "It does not even have a stylus." The implied but unsaid was that to Bill Gates, the iPad would fail.

Many consumers use their computer in a much simpler way than what techies used their computers. They do like their computers to help them do stuff that matter to them -- connecting with family and relatives, creating and sharing memories photoalbums (that is what made Kodak and all camera makers), except now it is digital. And perhaps do some creative stuff also.

Apple/Steve Jobs understood the needs of the consumers, but did even more... Maybe you may want to "use the iPad also for this. or that"... He integrated music to make the iPad even more integral to their lives. And more:

"...there's an App for that.... Only at Apple!"

All those years, it took a Steve Jobs to remember what matters to consumers. Now everyone is scrambling to follow his lead, even better him, if they can.

The Newton was a personal digital assistant. Thus, although it had some roles similar to the tablets of the mid 2000s, the Newton was never considered a portable computer in the same vein as the iPad.

CGC

I've used Windows-based tablets going back before 2000 (yes, they existed), and the technology was available back then just couldn't cut it: battery, screen, processor speed, pen input. For years, Microsoft saw tablets as an "extension" of their desktop OS, with a pen replacing the mouse, and on-screen keyboard that you would have to peck at with the pen. Those Windows tablets were heavy--like holding a 15" MacBook Pro in one hand. And chunkier than a modern MBP.

It shows that it's hard for companies that think in one direction to think in a completely opposite direction. That's the one thing Apple did right with the Newton... they were not thinking about replacing a mouse with a pen with a desktop OS, but creating an entirely new type of device, using the paradigm of a "digital notepad". It cost less than a PC, lighter than any Windows tablet, and the UI didn't suffer from being adapted from a desktop OS (no tablet should ever force users to have to "right click" with a pen, talk about getting it wrong).

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #127 of 189
Quote:

The real life players probably refused to do the interview but gave the story to Samsung. Samsung used it with hired actors to portray them.

Whats so "news worthy" about this? Another lame attempt by Apple fans to pick on something as frivolous as actors.

Nah, I don't think Apple fans are taking Samsung seriously in this case. They just wanna laugh their hearts out watching this circus performed by Samsung.
post #128 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

How do you know?

He/she doesn't.

The end.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #129 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

Nah, I don't think Apple fans are taking Samsung seriously in this case. They just wanna laugh their hearts out watching this circus performed by Samsung.

Not just Samsung... if it's true that Moto canned the first Xoom already then we get to see Part Deux of the hilarious new comedy... Pad Wars!

I cant wait for the third part of the trilogy when RIM hits the big screen with The Saga of the Playbook.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #130 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

He/she doesn't.

The end.

Damn. Now he won't take the bait.

(It's funny though that he lied to defend Sammy lies.)
post #131 of 189
Quote:

Not just Apple fans. I read this on PC Magazine's site:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382515,00.asp

Even Moto's sad advertising for the Xoom is getting noticed by PC fans. Apple just got it right.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #132 of 189
I suppose anyone who tries to "pull a fast one" (I love that English expression!) should expect a certain amount of shame and "tsk! tsk!" from people in general as well as chortles of unbridled glee from their opposition, but I find myself oddly conflicted at moments like this...almost like walking a tightrope of expectations over a safety net of hopes which may ultimately prove more illusory than anything else.

Take the present case of the latest Galaxy Tab. On one hand, having just purchased an iPad 2, I hope that whatever Samsung has just introduced will in no way make me regret having just spent my hard-earned money on an Apple product (that's the good thing about Steve Job's being in the mix - such a regret of that nature will rarely happen when competing products are introduced within the same (or similar) time period).

On the other hand - oddly enough, provided the first condition above is met, I actually want the competing product to be so good that it sets into motion a powerfully competing wave-front to the RDF wave-front Steve (and hence Apple) generates, so that it drives Apple to produce downstream a much better product than they might actually have done without the competition, thereby (hopefully) ensuring that when I upgrade in two to three years, I will again be benefitted by all of this back-channel impetus.

So when I see a BlackBerry or Dell or Samsung tablet, barring the possibility of feeling dejected for just having wasted my own money on an inferior competing Apple product (which is usually not the case), or if it has a significantly later market introduction than the Apple competing product I just bought, I actually want it to be the very best it can be.

I have read recently in these forums certain comment which make a good point that the outcome of competing products may not always be a better downstream Apple product. This was an interesting perspective and one which I feel has considerable merit (depending on how one frames the viewpoint and conditions surrounding it).

Part of the dichotomy may be driven by the fact that Steve Jobs often marches to a "different drummer" - so a nearby band with a synchopated drum beat will have little or no effect on him. What I think would be really interesting is if another, younger "Jobs" (I understand he is unique but hopefully you get my drift) were to emerge at a competing company and start leveraging his own RDF there to his inevitable benefit.

Would such a competing RDF then affect Apple products so that the downstream benefits for the "end-user" (like me) would be greater?
post #133 of 189
what is so interesting about this incident is not the ad ethics or management sloppiness of what Samsung did. those are laughable but small potatoes.

instead, happening at such a high-profile event as CTIA, it bespeaks - shouts actually - a sense of desperation on Samsung's part to be seen as "the" leading rival to Apple and the iPad. so they overreach badly, try too hard to create an Apple-style hype for a product still under development - after clumsily dropping plans for its "V" predecessor they were hyping just two months ago at another major trade show. so they wind up looking silly. very silly.

manufacturing 2.1 million of the premature 7" Galaxy tab late last year was an incredible blunder. it's highly unlikely they sold even half of them. they will take a loss on it in the hundreds of millions of dollars. why would they do something so risky? the only logical reason was a hope to overwhelm the nascent Android tab market with the Samsung brand before any other competition could launch a product. but the product was fatally flawed!

then instead Google blessed Motorola as its first Android tablet avatar, with the Xoom. to be followed this year by the rest of the "Android army" with their iPad knock-offs (plus RIM and HP).

i think Samsung has a serious case of "Apple envy," maybe hoping to become the Apple of Asia, whatever that means to them - the leader in developing new consumer technology. which title Sony used to hold, until Apple took them down.

but the problem is, they don't have the chops.

great hardware engineering, which Samsung (and Sony) has, is not enuff. great software is much harder to do, and they can't. and real vision is beyond their reach - it's priceless.
post #134 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Congrats on the Baghdad Bob reference. It should be repeated every time Seoul City Sam (Sam Sung?) comes back with some more of his lame-ass propaganda.

"This picture of a model holding a 2"-thick digital picture frame with another picture on it totally proves that that much thinner Galaxy Tab whose empty case they waved around at a trade show really, really, really exists and is pwning Apple even as we speak!"
post #135 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

<snip>.....

great hardware engineering, which Samsung (and Sony) has, is not enuff. great software is much harder to do, and they can't. and real vision is priceless.

I really wish Samsung would stick to what they do well, because they do it very, very well. I've got a Samsung TV that I'm tremendously impressed with. The picture quality and the build quality are just fantastic. (Of course, the menu structure is totally dementedthey should farm out stuff like that.) My first VCR was a Samsung 25 (no, 26!) years ago. (That's not what it said on the case, but it was a Samsung.) I had that thing for many years; it never ate a tape and you could have hit it with a shotgun and it would have kept on playing.

So you can see I'm not a Samsung hater (or Korean electronics hater.) I just wish they would do what they do and not try to be something elsethey're already one of the biggest industrial combines in the world. Enough already!
post #136 of 189
Forget about tablets. Samsung should just concentrate on churning out as many A5 chips possible as Apple will sell millions and millions of iPad, iPhone, iPod touch (and maybe Apple TV) this year.
post #137 of 189
Samsung = Ho hum Copiers

Samsung just like all the rest trying to copy what it cannot beat!
post #138 of 189
Why on earth would a company hold a press conference and not have an actual working device?

Because they must keep their name in the press as they scramble to stay on par with Apple.

Samsung failed miserably to impress anyone.

Quote:

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #139 of 189
I'm not really an AI commenter. I just play one on my Mac screen. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!! :lol
post #140 of 189
Wow. Too funny.
When people exhibit such inability to perceive reality and make judgments and distinctions between those perceptions, there really is nothing to say, nowhere to go.

Quote:

Note that Apple does not decide who to hire when their ads are created. That is done by the ads agency. And, the choice would be solely based on the appeal of the person and how they resonate to the target audience.

I doubt very much that the Ads agency of Apple would make as a pre-requesite in the preliminary screening of talents to sued in the ad: yp ask:

Do you use the Apple product that you are going to have a role in? That would border discrimination.

Ponder this. Steve Jobs sometimes use other people, apart from the usual Ive, and top tier staff in the presentation. Apple/Steve Jobs is famous for not showing its latest product to the public before the anouncement. So what product model is used in such ads

One more thing, product placement is very big in television and movies these days. Do you really think that all those handling or having those Apple products in the set are all users of Apple products?

What I can accept is that it is unlikely that Samsung already has the latest product to be used in such commercials. Deceptive? Not sure; Ads for the most part is about presenting a concept that should resonate to the viewer. I am sure that you heard all those stories about "artists" not liking the products that they may be asked to "act" in the shooting, as if they did like it.

Did anyone make a big deal of such "acting" to like the product by the artists involved?

It is being too fanatic (fanboism) to make such a big deal about artists models/being used, and singlinb out Samsung or Microsoft for having used them. As I stated at the start, the company does not decide who are recruited to play those roles. The ad agency does.

CGC

Quote:

post #141 of 189
This shameless infomercial is beyond cringeworthy. Reminded me of the abominable Philips CDi infomercial of the early '90s, "Wall"
post #142 of 189
I think Samsung just needs to relax and take their time. The iPad is already in a position of dominance, so no point trying to rush a product to market to prevent that from happening. They should take one of the open source OSes, build their own touch GUI for it, and go from there.
post #143 of 189
Quote:

Forget about tablets. Samsung should just concentrate on churning out as many A5 chips possible as Apple will sell millions and millions of iPad, iPhone iPod touch (and maybe Apple TV) this year.

I imagine Samsung (like Google RE: GoogleMaps) has killed their golden goose (revenues from manufacturing the A5.) Fortunately for them Apple has no alternative sources for flash RAM and multitouch screens.
History shows that Steve remembers treachery and always punishes it.
post #144 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut View Post

what I don't understand is why they wouldn't get a haircut or wear suits that fit...
zombies on stage... i can't really believe it. they look like they have been gambling all night in a poker room or something.

The reason they look like they have been gambling all night is because they probably haven't slept since the iPad 2 was announced. They probably haven't left the office to go to there homes to shave and change clothes. They've been up 24/7 and at the office trying to figure out how to cram the fat tab into that thin case and fool the world into thinking they have something.
post #145 of 189
Quote:

Seriously? That's the best excuse you could come up with?

There are legions of Fandroids who would be extremely happy to go on camera with a pre-released Android tablet and spout platitudes for weeks. Finding someone to say something nice isn't the problem. The problem is that few of these Fandroids actually look like the people in the videos. Most of the hard core Android fan base are IT professionals who look like, well, IT professionals.

This whole thing was obviously handled by Samsung's marketing and ad people who did what they always do....they hire actors. The nice thing about actors is that you can easily cast for a specific look/type of person and get that person to say whatever message you are trying to convey.

The real problem here is that actors were passed as as real life people who weren't actors wity the exception of the film director and he has already been outed as working for Samsung before (which is why Samsung's ad people thought of him in the first place). This was completely unnecessary. You could have put the product in a bunch of people's hands, filmed how they used it and came back for comments.

But the second problem here is that the product (as announced) does not yet exist. The ad people literally had nothing to work with except for the 7" Galaxy Tab which has been out for months now. Even on stage the prototypes weren't working (nor in the booth). The reason they are non-functional is that Samsung's own VP spoke of having to "go back to the drawing board". It was a freudian slip since it basically encapsulated in a nutshell the "oh s#%t!" moment that all had when the iPad 2 dropped and they compared it to the specs of their soon-to-be-announced Galaxy Tabs that had already been designed and were moving through the supply chain to be manufactured soon. All that had to be stopped at great expense and "go back to the drawing board". When can you get a Tab 10.1? June. How about a 8.9? Sometime in "early summer". Really guys? You've had a year to do this and by the time summer gets here, Apple will have moved 10 million iPad 2s easy.

Samsung tried to make the best out of a horrible situation for them. The late launch of the 10.1 and 8.9 is bad enough but the last thing you needed was the press to put 2 and 2 together about the testimonials from "excited users". I'm sure someone in the Android camp will note that in January 2007, the press wasn't allowed to use the iPhone as announced until when it was ready to ship in June. But at least Steve Jobs used a working prototype on stage as opposed to showing nice slide mockups and animations.
post #146 of 189
...small print on the bottom, like in the car ads "Professional driver on a closed course. Don't drive like this nitwit in your own car anywhere on earth..."

The could say "Professional actor being paid to shill this crap. Buy at your own risk..."
post #147 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

...small print on the bottom, like in the car ads "Professional driver on a closed course. Don't drive like this nitwit in your own car anywhere on earth..."

The could say "Professional actor being paid to shill this crap. Buy at your own risk..."

There was nothing professional about that acting...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #148 of 189
Quote:

AI posters, I haven't laughed so hard for a long time. Your sense of humour and well written comments crack me up. Keep 'em coming!
post #149 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There was nothing professional about that acting...

Maybe that's a new category of acting: "If I were a paid actor, would I be this lousy? LOL! You can totally believe what I say!"
post #150 of 189
Actually I thought the acting was pretty good. A female actress portraying a fragment of a N.O.W. illusion. The illusion of the whole "Broadway Show" was right on the money. The illusion that she actually had the tab to use and do all those things with it before it existed. To pull off that, you have to be a professional actor.
post #151 of 189
...we ARE going to ignore the huge sums that Apple pays for product placement in all those TV and movie dramas, right? But then, we KNOW the shows are fiction and the actors are, well, ACTORS.
post #152 of 189
Quote:

...we ARE going to ignore the huge sums that Apple pays for product placement in all those TV and movie dramas, right? But then, we KNOW the shows are fiction and the actors are, well, ACTORS.

Edited.

Misread your post.
post #153 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Maybe that's a new category of acting: "If I were a paid actor, would I be this lousy? LOL! You can totally believe what I say!"

"Call me Joe."
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #154 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Most of the hard core Android fan base are IT professionals who look like, well, IT professionals.

I just love to stir the pot.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #155 of 189
Quote:

The average Fandroid, the kind who likes to root their devices, looks like this.

post #156 of 189
Re: product placement. How sure are we that Apple is paying anybody to show their computers on TV and in the movies? I think prop guys just use them because they're more photogenic than the other brands. Most of the time when they turn them around so you can only see the screen, you see they're running Windows—I don't know if Apple would pay for that.

Then of course, for the last 3 years, every Apple computer on TV has had to have a sticker over the Apple logo so they don't get inundated with hate mail from right-wingers still infuriated about Apple's contribution to the "No on 8" campaign. (Of course, Google contributed as much or more, but that's OK.) Would Apple pay for that?

I remember trying to sign up for the free limited service on one ISP, just as a backup, only to discover that you couldn't use a Mac on their service at all. Subsequently, I got a flyer in the mail from them, depicting dozens of happy people using their service, half of whom were using MacBooks. I know damn well Apple didn't pay for that!
post #157 of 189
Quote:

First, there's no evidence of that, but even if it's true, what difference does it make?

When you watch The Office and the people are using a computer, do you take that as a real-life testimonial? Or, more appropriately for the age group of most of the Apple-bashers here, when you see a Pear computer on iCarly, do you think that's the real choice of real-life characters?

The problem for Samsung is not that they paid people to advertise their product. The problem is that they LIED when they claimed that they were real people rather than paid actors. Apple never did that.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #158 of 189
i've always assumed all those heart-warming Apple commercials and demo clips were pure fiction with actors. even all the kids. and that Apple spends a lot getting product placement in TV and movies. and also a lot on featured pop artists. and spends tons on billboards. and all the rest. Apple never said they don't. actually, Apple never says anything at all about its marketing ...

no question Apple runs the state of the art consumer tech marketing machine today. really, in a class all by itself.

but you never see the Apple guy in charge of this marketing empire. who is he/she? they are never on stage at any event. nothing gets in the way of the message.
post #159 of 189
OK. Product placement. Maybe I was wrong. Supposedly Apple does not pay for product placement, according to the Washngton Post article, so I will stand corrected on this point. Like… never mind.

http://www.edibleapple.com/the-signi...uct-placement/

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog...as-everything/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041401670.html
post #160 of 189
Quote:

OK. Product placement. Maybe I was wrong. Supposedly Apple does not pay for product placement, according to the Washngton Post article, so I will stand corrected on this point. Like never mind.

http://www.edibleapple.com/the-signi...uct-placement/

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog...as-everything/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041401670.html

I've heard they don't either but I noticed at the end of House during the credits "promotional consideration was provided by the following... Apple (and others). Guess I'll have to read the links you provided, maybe they will explain it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims