or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims - Page 2

post #41 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by euler View Post

What's next? Are we to find out that Justin Long is not really a Mac?

I assumed that everyone in commercials was an actor!

I am posting this because people seem to have forgotten iPad video at the keynote. All real people, and many have said the same stuff many months before Apple even approached them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiVeC1Z3yI

http://www.blogher.com/ipad-nearmiracle-my-son-autism

This is how it's done. In fact, I find Samsung trying to copy that, just like the specs.
post #42 of 189
Actually, Long and Hodgeman are avid Mac users

Quote:
Originally Posted by euler View Post

What's next? Are we to find out that Justin Long is not really a Mac?

I assumed that everyone in commercials was an actor!
post #43 of 189
That Zoll think I linked to earlier is just a little video teaser bit. The entire keynote (part 1 of 6) starts here. That keynote left me with the impression that Samsung is actually sinister.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #44 of 189
What's the deal behind the "thinnest tablet" claim?

I saw the side by side pictures and the iPad2 is clearly thinner than the "new and improved", not yet on the market Samsung tablet.

The iPad2 is 8.8 mm and the Samsung is 8.6 mm. Does Samsung not know how to measure properly? Are they lying? Because 8.8 mm is clearly less than 8.6 mm based on the side by side pictures.

What ingenious idea will all of the Apple competitors think of next? Will they hire tens of thousands of people to stand in line all around the world, pretending to be lining up for the next "iPad Killer"?
post #45 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

I am posting this because people seem to have forgotten iPad video at the keynote. All real people, and many have said the same stuff many months before Apple even approached them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiVeC1Z3yI

http://www.blogher.com/ipad-nearmiracle-my-son-autism

This is how it's done. In fact, I find Samsung trying to copy that, just like the specs.

Yup, agree.
Samsung just panicked when iPad 2 introduced and how thin it really is, even Samsung's new Galaxy Tab 10.1 prototype is not that thin.

PS: don't take this the wrong way, but what's up with the nickname? Did you just watched Black Swan the movie?

Oh and by the way, what took you so long to post since February, welcome to the forum. Be prepared for some serious trolling and lots of silly arguments..
post #46 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Actually, Long and Hodgeman are avid Mac users

Yeah, but it does not matter much for ads which are marketed as ads, as opposed to promotional stuff which is deemed authentic and said to be based on real life testimonials.
post #47 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Did you just watched Black Swan the movie?

Mila Kunis is hot. She can play with my iPad anytime she wants.
post #48 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Yup, agree.
Samsung just panicked when iPad 2 introduced and how thin it really is, even Samsung's new Galaxy Tab 10.1 prototype is not that thin.

PS: don't take this the wrong way, but what's up with the nickname? Did you just watched Black Swan the movie?

Oh and by the way, what took you so long to post since February, welcome to the forum. Be prepared for some serious trolling and lots of silly arguments..

Thank you. About the nickname, its the book, not the movie. And it's a great book, especially so if you are working under uncertainty.
post #49 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"Given that the device does not actually turn on yet, real gains in productivity would be rather surprising.

Classic.

Placebo effect ...?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #50 of 189
So just how crazy might Samsung be? They don't seem to feel that they need to be particularly honest about their products, I'm wondering if they even have a product to put in the case they're showing?

I mean, it's only been a few weeks since they got a look at the iPad 2. Are we supposed to believe they actually reengineered the Tab 10.1 to be half as thick in that time? Of course not.

What appears to have happened is that they mocked up a case and trotted it out with some fanfare just to eke out a little mindshare. And I'm guessing right now there are a bunch of Samsung engineers tearing their hair out because management told them if they couldn't squeeze the guts of the old machine into the new case by June they'd all be out of jobs.

Like I say, crazy, but everything I'm seeing from Samsung lately suggests that they figure they can say pretty much anything they like, without much reference to reality.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #51 of 189
This is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen from a non-Microsoft company.

Even the words that pop up as the actors are speaking have errors. Apparently the director 'love making movie'.

It's all just so bad I can hardly watch...yet I'm compelled to like some driver passing a bad crash lol
post #52 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Mila Kunis is hot. She can play with my iPad anytime she wants.

Hubba, hubba..

Didn't really like her when she's at 'That 70's Show', but boy she's changing from cheeky to sexy every then and now. But hey, that's another thread at different forum to discuss..
post #53 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

Thank you. About the nickname, its the book, not the movie. And it's a great book, especially so if you are working under uncertainty.

Yer welcome
Under uncertainty?

OT everyone.. Sorry.
post #54 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So just how crazy might Samsung be? They don't seem to feel that they need to be particularly honest about their products, I'm wondering if they even have a product to put in the case they're showing?

I mean, it's only been a few weeks since they got a look at the iPad 2. Are we supposed to believe they actually reengineered the Tab 10.1 to be half as thick in that time? Of course not.

What appears to have happened is that they mocked up a case and trotted it out with some fanfare just to eke out a little mindshare. And I'm guessing right now there are a bunch of Samsung engineers tearing their hair out because management told them if they couldn't squeeze the guts of the old machine into the new case by June they'd all be out of jobs.

Like I say, crazy, but everything I'm seeing from Samsung lately suggests that they figure they can say pretty much anything they like, without much reference to reality.

Thats the craziest thing of it all. Why couldnt they make their mockup 8.6mm? Its staying plugged in, just reduce the battery size or not include one at all. I dont get it but then to lie about the thickness just to beat the iPad 2 as if a mockup today will somehow equate to a real product in the future that people will remember was thinner and therefore choose to buy? Im dumbfounded!

Its so fraking odd silly and stupid that I cant help but think this is all a joke or some misunderstanding. How do you became the size of Samsung whilst doing shit like this?


PS: Using Apples iPad 2 event that repeatedly attacked the other tablet makers harshly and the other vendors tablets we have seen so far and in the works, Im going to predict the iPad will be another iPod in market share dominance, will overtake the Mac in revenue and profit this year, and will overtake the iPhone in revenue in profit by 2014.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #55 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So just how crazy might Samsung be? They don't seem to feel that they need to be particularly honest about their products, I'm wondering if they even have a product to put in the case they're showing?

I mean, it's only been a few weeks since they got a look at the iPad 2. Are we supposed to believe they actually reengineered the Tab 10.1 to be half as thick in that time? Of course not.

What appears to have happened is that they mocked up a case and trotted it out with some fanfare just to eke out a little mindshare. And I'm guessing right now there are a bunch of Samsung engineers tearing their hair out because management told them if they couldn't squeeze the guts of the old machine into the new case by June they'd all be out of jobs.

Like I say, crazy, but everything I'm seeing from Samsung lately suggests that they figure they can say pretty much anything they like, without much reference to reality.

IMO that's the big difference of Apple and Samsung, and the rest of the other tech companies out there. Steve Jobs always push for the best whenever they can do it even though it's only almost a year since the original iPad launched.

If, Samsung able to launch the actual product of the re-engineered Galaxy Tab 10.1, like you said up there, then for me personally it only make Samsung look more bad. Because that means they can actually make a better product, but chose not to. And that's bad, especially for users who choose their products instead of Apple's.
post #56 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That’s the craziest thing of it all. Why couldn’t they make their mockup 8.6mm? It’s staying plugged in, just reduce the battery size or not include one at all. I don’t get it… but then to lie about the thickness just to beat the iPad 2 as if a mockup today will somehow equate to a real product in the future that people will remember was thinner and therefore choose to buy? I’m dumbfounded!

It’s so fraking odd silly and stupid that I can’t help but think this is all a joke or some misunderstanding. How do you became the size of Samsung whilst doing shit like this?

Yes! Exactly! I mean, RIM, it's like they're kind of a mom and pop shop that hit on a single, hugely successful angle, and now that they have to act like a real company they seem a bit insular. I get that.

But Samsung? I wonder if it has something to do with making relatively anonymous products-- people tend not to have a personal relationship with their televisions or DVD players. You just do the engineering, hire an ad agency, and there you go.

But now they find themselves all caught up in the mobile market, and they can tell from Apple's success that they're supposed to have some kind of vision that relates to "what people want." And as a company that's not really their thing, so they're laying on the dancers and synergy and building the future stuff, except it's all tone deaf and off-putting and wrong.

MS used to do a lot of this, but Samsung is worse. MS just kind of came off as clueless, Samsung is coming off as scary. And to think you could stick an empty case out there and then lie about how thick it is, as if you think everyone is so dazzled by your omnipotence they'd never bother to think about it...... I mean, Samsung is a South Korean country, right?


Quote:
PS: Using Apple’s iPad 2 event that repeatedly attacked the other tablet makers harshly and the other vendor’s tablets we have seen so far and in the works, I’m going to predict the iPad will be another iPod in market share dominance, will overtake the Mac in revenue and profit this year, and will overtake the iPhone in revenue in profit by 2014.

Yeah. I'm starting to think the runaway success of Android on handsets has been masking some fundamental inability to execute on the part of all the plausible rivals. I don't think Motorola or RIM or Samsung (let alone Asus or LG etc) have the faintest idea how to build or market a tablet that people actually want, beyond yelling "Honeycomb!" and putting that fracking robot on everything.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #57 of 189
that video was awful. the intros, the content, the whiteness of the actors' eyes....yeesh....
what are they trying to sell? the utility/market of/for a tablet?? (I think another company has proven that pretty well). I mean it's a classical advertising/rhetorical set up....but seriously? now? maybe in 1999. wow.
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Reply
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Reply
post #58 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That Zoll think I linked to earlier is just a little video teaser bit. The entire keynote (part 1 of 6) starts here. That keynote left me with the impression that Samsung is actually sinister.

The keynote Samsung themselves labelled 'mind-blowing'...

...well they got that right!! haha
post #59 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

some misunderstanding.

Maybe its "smooth" not "small" all over again. They were mistranslated. They actually meant 8.6 in, and were talking about the screen size...etc...etc...

What I find hilarious is to hear the absolute silence from the Fandroids who couldn't stop talking about Jobs' "selling in volume" a lie, because they were unwilling to accept that the word volume could have more than 1 definition.
post #60 of 189
I guess you guys are not late night TV watchers. Haven't you ever seen those long infomercials? That's what the Samsung video looked like to me. Actors posing as the real thing. With a make believe audience too. Well, maybe the audience was real. They didn't clap probably because they were just dumb founded!
post #61 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That’s the craziest thing of it all. Why couldn’t they make their mockup 8.6mm? It’s staying plugged in, just reduce the battery size or not include one at all. I don’t get it… but then to lie about the thickness just to beat the iPad 2 as if a mockup today will somehow equate to a real product in the future that people will remember was thinner and therefore choose to buy? I’m dumbfounded!

It’s so fraking odd silly and stupid that I can’t help but think this is all a joke or some misunderstanding. How do you became the size of Samsung whilst doing shit like this.

True. That's because Samsung is not a tech company that invent new devices, they just tally along to make the most popular and hype ones in the market. This last 'desperate' actions just prove that..
post #62 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Yer welcome
Under uncertainty?

OT everyone.. Sorry.

OT again, but under-uncertainty = high risk, high return, or you may end up wasting an year or two of your life.

And the reason I waited for a month to post was, this place is great for Kool-aid flavored popcorns, as much as I love them.
post #63 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What's the deal behind the "thinnest tablet" claim?

It's their claim, that's a big deal for their delusional mind..
post #64 of 189
As I said in my previous post, until it actually ships (in bulk, not a paper launch) nothing they say or claim matters. God its good to be right.
post #65 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

OT again, but under-uncertainty = high risk, high return, or you may end up wasting an year or two of your life.

And the reason I waited for a month to post was, this place is great for Kool-aid flavored popcorns, as much as I love them.

OT once more, a year or two that I can live with as long as not more than that..

Harhar.. me too, it's kinda like love-hate relationship here in AI forum.
post #66 of 189
Apple should do a commercial based on the new iPhone ads. Only this should be about the competition....

If you don't have a Samsung Galaxy Tab... If you don't have a RIM Playbook... if you don't have a Microsoft Courier or an HP Touchpad... if you don't have a brand "X" tablet ad nauseam... It's because it not yet available.

If you don't have an iPad. You DON'T have an iPad!... But don't worry, the competition's photocopiers are humming away!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #67 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Harhar.. me too, it's kinda like love-hate relationship here in AI forum.

Let me put it bluntly. I did not really cared much about Apple news, until a few months back. Though I almost worship SJ. In fact, I only started using Mac 3 years back, earlier I grew up in a part of the world where there are almost no Macs, stores or support.

Then I got interested in Apple news, partly out of some lethargy in an upcoming project. And visited/ RSSed many Mac sites. Though fun initially, the level of conversation and content on them (bar Gruber et. al) was plain silly and corny. People not knowing what they talk about, acting sentimental at trivial stuff. They are the real fanboys. And to top that, I found many so called journalists/ bloggers writing pro-Apple crap on one site, and anti on another. One extreme example is a certain blogger who writes an almost anti-Apple blog on Fortune, and posts pro-Apple stuff on 9to5mac. Wow man, just wow.

AI looks like a lot better to me. It seems genuine, and at least some people seem to understand technology, strategy, art or recursion.
post #68 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Shame on you Samsung. If you can't compete fairly burt out of the Tablet race.

They are not evil...just scared...and caught off guard and embarrassed.Desperate times call for desperate measures...and responses.Put yourself in the same position ...if someone asks if it was you that farted...what do you say ? Does it Change the facts...? Does it hurt Apple ? No...not in the end...just a temporary change of face for Samsung...this has been very embarrassing for quite a few corporate types...good show Apple-the truth is always in the pudding...eventually.
post #69 of 189
I know..."proof is in the pudding"- it's late...and Friday Nite-just don't call me a dummy-thanks !
post #70 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanq View Post

They are not evil...just scared...and caught off guard and embarrassed.Desperate times call for desperate measures...and responses.Put yourself in the same position ...if someone asks if it was you that farted...what do you say ? Does it Change the facts...? Does it hurt Apple ? No...not in the end...just a temporary change of face for Samsung...this has been very embarrassing for quite a few corporate types...good show Apple-the truth is always in the pudding...eventually.

From a broad view, I think its for the first time in almost all of corporate tech history I know of, when a big company is neither run by corporate type bean counters, or obsessive nerds, who think all things can be measured statistically, and there is no room for intuition or good design or minimalism. I think many companies did not start that way, but quickly became that.

Apple is the only big company which understands people, and has the vision, courage and agility to care. And as SJ put it last year, its world's biggest startup. And that is a very big deal. I expect a lot of people to get embarrassed in the coming years.
post #71 of 189
Where's DaHarder when Samsung needs him the most???
Oh yeah he ditched Samsung for Xoom recently
post #72 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

From a broad view, I think its for the first time in almost all of corporate tech history I know of, when a big company is neither run by corporate type bean counters, or obsessive nerds, who think all things can be measured statistically, and there is no room for intuition or good design or minimalism. I think many companies did not start that way, but quickly became that.

Apple is the only big company which understands people, and has the vision, courage and agility to care. And as SJ put it last year, its world's biggest startup. And that is a very big deal. I expect a lot of people to get embarrassed in the coming years.

Exactly !--you nailed it ...Please read my response to the intro of the Apple TV commentary -that sums it up for the corporate legacy fear and hate...and let me know what you think of my suggested social (some will say business ) beautiful chess move for Mr. Steve Jobs...for all of us wanting to change the "game"
TKS !
post #73 of 189
First up Apple isn't bi****** about this.
Secondly, there was never any mention of the software that represented those folks.
What a fail. Not to mention one of the products doesn't even work.
post #74 of 189
As bizarre as the commercial is, what slays me is the press announcement.

I'm trying to imagine Steve Jobs getting up at the iPad 2 event, waving around a non-functioning tablet, effectively saying: "This is the thinner box we intend to try to cram an iPad into. In 3 months or so. If we can. But isn't it great? I can't turn it on...yet...but the "competition" is on the run!" How would the tech press have reacted to that? But Samsung does just exactly that and they eat it up with a spoon!

Who has that Reality Distortion Field again?
post #75 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So just how crazy might Samsung be? They don't seem to feel that they need to be particularly honest about their products, I'm wondering if they even have a product to put in the case they're showing?

I mean, it's only been a few weeks since they got a look at the iPad 2. Are we supposed to believe they actually reengineered the Tab 10.1 to be half as thick in that time? Of course not.

What appears to have happened is that they mocked up a case and trotted it out with some fanfare just to eke out a little mindshare. And I'm guessing right now there are a bunch of Samsung engineers tearing their hair out because management told them if they couldn't squeeze the guts of the old machine into the new case by June they'd all be out of jobs.

Like I say, crazy, but everything I'm seeing from Samsung lately suggests that they figure they can say pretty much anything they like, without much reference to reality.

I guess lately samsung is sitting inside it's own RDF.
post #76 of 189
^^ good point on the rdf, mac-sochist.

Quote:
But Samsung? I wonder if it has something to do with making relatively anonymous products-- people tend not to have a personal relationship with their televisions or DVD players. You just do the engineering, hire an ad agency, and there you go.

But now they find themselves all caught up in the mobile market, and they can tell from Apple's success that they're supposed to have some kind of vision that relates to "what people want." And as a company that's not really their thing, so they're laying on the dancers and synergy and building the future stuff, except it's all tone deaf and off-putting and wrong.

addabox, I think your distinction between "anonymous" and personal products hits the mark here.

Approached the right way, there's no reason why a non-Apple tablet can't succeed. But as you said, at present there is no vision from Apple's competitors - they're simply rushing to get something into the market and are just throwing a whole lot of spin out there hoping something will stick.

I wonder if HP/Palm will do any better than Samsung and Moto, as my impression OS-wise at least is that they are the nearest to providing a competitive user experience.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #77 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC93 View Post

Yeah right. Also are you blind, and can't see the photo here of the two posted side by side?

And how is it you were so lucky to get a working version of it? According to Samsung its non working.

You are so damn Right!
post #78 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm starting to think the runaway success of Android on handsets has been masking some fundamental inability to execute on the part of all the plausible rivals.

Actually, the success of Android is prima-fascia evidence of an inability to execute. Rather than developing something really great, they just ship free software they downloaded from the internet (Android) and call it a product...total lack of execution.
post #79 of 189
what I don't understand is why they wouldn't get a haircut or wear suits that fit...
zombies on stage... i can't really believe it. they look like they have been gambling all night in a poker room or something.
post #80 of 189
Here's what I don't get (along with the stuff I've already stated that I'm bewildered by):

Samsung can't have very big margins on these things, right? And they sell a LOT of other products. I mean, hell, I have a Samsung HDTV and a Samsung Blu-Ray. And that's not even delving into all the chips, etc., that they produce.

Even if they got this thing out in June, and even if it were mildly successful, it just couldn't mean much to their bottom line, could it? Or am I missing something, or are some of my assumptions wrong?

Because if not, then I don't get the rush to drive this thing home in such a slip-shod manner. You're already a mega-business, involved in diverse product production. Why not wait and do your best, and try and sell the thing on its merits, and not some ludicrous BS?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims