or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 2 sneaks closer to console gaming with 1080p Real Racing 2 HDTV output

iPad 2 sneaks closer to console gaming with 1080p Real Racing 2 HDTV output - Page 2

post #41 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Flooding the market with low quality games, not just low in graphics quality but in game play? That's nice. Isn't that completely opposite of what apple usually does?

Hey, guy that thought pong was all you had in your day: Its here in 1080p stereo sound. Enjoy.

Apple doesn't do games. Beside, almost all game console developers make games for the iOS.
post #42 of 169
Quote:

Flooding the market with low quality games, not just low in graphics quality but in game play? That's nice. Isn't that completely opposite of what apple usually does?

Hey, guy that thought pong was all you had in your day: Its here in 1080p stereo sound. Enjoy.

Apple isn't flooding the market with anything. They've made a platform available to developers. A platform that is increasingly attracting top tier game developers and ever more sophisticated games.

If you don't like cheaper or less elaborate games, don't buy them. Your bitterness around all things Apple seems unhinged.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #43 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And then can they carry their XBox around with them as a general purpose computing device? Can they run word processing, sound editing, presentation creation, technical diagraming, data base or photo editing software on it?

The comparison always seems to be between buying a console, exclusively to play games, and buying an iPad, exclusively to play games-- but of course that's never the case. An iPad gives you games plus a great deal more.

So if games are absolutely what you want, then sure, you'll get a console. But it's shortsighted to imagine that their aren't a good number of people who would trade off state of the art game play for really good game play plus mobile computing.

Yep. It's too bad Apple didn't push Pippin back in the 90's and left it to Bandai who messed it up. I really think Pippin would have done well if someone had actually tried to sell it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #44 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Apple doesn't do games. Beside, almost all game console developers make games for the iOS.

Oooo, what a technicality.
post #45 of 169
Quote:

Apple isn't flooding the market with anything. They've made a platform available to developers. A platform that is increasingly attracting top tier game developers and ever more sophisticated games.

If you don't like cheaper or less elaborate games, don't buy them. Your bitterness around all things Apple seems unhinged.

Yeah well nothing so far has made me want to play a game more than 5 minutes.

That doesn't mean simple puzzle games like bejeweled don't have their place. It just means the ipad is NOT a console level device by any means.
post #46 of 169
Chopper 2 allows full screen HD with the iPad on your HDTV. You can even use your iPhone as a remote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZTj3hulPKA

So cool...
post #47 of 169
Quote:

That doesn't mean simple puzzle games like bejeweled don't have their place. It just means the ipad is NOT a console level device by any means.

If you think the iPad game market is summed up by "Bejeweled" then you aren't really paying attention.
post #48 of 169
Quote:

No one said it is a "console level" device. By the way, can you define a console level device please?
post #49 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

well dude, you are right that the hard core gamers who are addicted to the XBox or PS3 will not switch to iPad gaming in large numbers.

but then there is the other 95% of digital consumers that might go for it instead. we may not count in your eyes, but we sure do at the cash register.

Wii: 86 million sold to date
PS3: 48 million sold to date
360: 50 million sold to date
iPad: 15 million sold to date

The iPad is a great device. It is not a replacement for, or legitimate competitor to, gaming consoles. Thats up to the AppleTV, not the iPad. And so far, Apple has shown no interest in entering that market.
post #50 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by desides View Post

... there are very few people out there who are going to spend $500+ on an iPad and $40 on an HDMI adapter when they can get an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 for half that. Just isnt going to happen. If anything, the iPad will slightly cannibalize the gaming segment of the iPod Touch user base.

You're missing the point. Everyone will already *have* an iPad, and any family that watches a lot of TV is likely to already have an Apple TV. Because they are both multipurpose devices, you simply can't equate them with an XBox which is mostly single purpose. The whole point in fact, of Microsoft and Sony expanding the utility of the XBox and the PS3 into non-gaming areas, is that they have the same idea as Apple but are going at it from the other direction. It's called "convergence."

Secondly, you ignore the biggest factor of all, which is that you are making a wholly arbitrary distinction between "real" gaming and "casual" gaming that doesn't actually exist. "Real gamers" also play casual games because if you're seriously into gaming, a simple shooter isn't going to satisfy. Casual gamers on the other hand, hooked into Apple's ecosystem by a $.99 Angry Birds game are much more likely to be up-sold to "serious" games that cost a lot more and need the Apple TV. Again, the hardware is "converging" (there's that word again), to the point that an iPhone will fairly soon have the same kind of power that a PS3 has, so the "casual" gaming world will soon have everything the "real" gaming world has with the possible exception of the little plastic controller.

Third, you know nothing about history in that almost all of the big "serious" game consoles started off as casual gaming platforms. Computer games of any kind were considered "silly" and gaming devices (especially "dedicated" ones), were at first considered foolish and "toys." Likely history will repeat itself and while Microsoft and Sony keep pretending that iOS gaming is "casual" and for old ladies, they are in danger of losing the whole market before they realise their mistake.

Finally, your making a huge mistake in not seeing the rest of the market beyond your nose. Even if Apple only sews up the "casual" gaming market, it's a market that is a hundred times larger (at least), than the "serious" game market which is and always has been a tiny niche of twenty something males (and a few that only would like to be).
post #51 of 169
Quote:

No one said it is a "console level" device. By the way, can you define a console level device please?

Except the person who posted the artcle. GD
post #52 of 169
Quote:

If you think the iPad game market is summed up by "Bejeweled" then you aren't really paying attention.

So what popular "fan-****ing-tastic" (if you know where that word came from kudos) games I should try on my ipod touch?
post #53 of 169
Quote:

So far in two months it sold 8 million. Good luck.

Is there anything you don’t lie about or are you just incapable of comprehending what you read?

The Kinect sold 8M in the first 60 days. Fastest selling includes an amount within a duration.

The Kinect has NOT sold 8M in the first two months of 2011 as my bet clearly indicates. You still get well over two months on the iPad 2 if you choose to accept the bet. You can decide the amount to which we bet..

Just to be clear, the Kinect has sold 10 million as of March 9, 2011. That’s still a good take for 5+ year old console but do you think that is sustainable? I don’t think so, but if you do then put up or shut up.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #54 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is there anything you dont lie about or are just incapable or comprehending what you read?

The Kinect sold 8M in the first 60 days. Fastest selling includes an amount within a duration.

The Kinect has NOT sold 8M in the first two months of 2011 as my bet is set for. You still get well over two months on the iPad 2 if you choose to accept the bet. You can decide what we bet on.

Just to be clear, the Kinect has sold 10 million as of March 9, 2011. Thats still a good take for 5_ year old console but do you think that is sustainable? I dont think so, but if you do then put up or shut up.

I don't care who exceeds who after awhile. You can change the goal post and claim victory if you want; it isn't as if the original ipad is at +15 million.

But most people here claimed Kinnect would bomb.
post #55 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You're missing the point. Everyone will already *have* an iPad, and any family that watches a lot of TV is likely to already have an Apple TV. Because they are both multipurpose devices, you simply can't equate them with an XBox which is mostly single purpose. The whole point in fact, of Microsoft and Sony expanding the utility of the XBox and the PS3 into non-gaming areas, is that they have the same idea as Apple but are going at it from the other direction. It's called "convergence."

Secondly, you ignore the biggest factor of all, which is that you are making a wholly arbitrary distinction between "real" gaming and "casual" gaming that doesn't actually exist. "Real gamers" also play casual games because if you're seriously into gaming, a simple shooter isn't going to satisfy. Casual gamers on the other hand, hooked into Apple's ecosystem by a $.99 Angry Birds game are much more likely to be up-sold to "serious" games that cost a lot more and need the Apple TV. Again, the hardware is "converging" (there's that word again), to the point that an iPhone will fairly soon have the same kind of power that a PS3 has, so the "casual" gaming world will soon have everything the "real" gaming world has with the possible exception of the little plastic controller.

Third, you know nothing about history in that almost all of the big "serious" game consoles started off as casual gaming platforms. Computer games of any kind were considered "silly" and gaming devices (especially "dedicated" ones), were at first considered foolish and "toys." Likely history will repeat itself and while Microsoft and Sony keep pretending that iOS gaming is "casual" and for old ladies, they are in danger of losing the whole market before they realise their mistake.

Finally, your making a huge mistake in not seeing the rest of the market beyond your nose. Even if Apple only sews up the "casual" gaming market, it's a market that is a hundred times larger (at least), than the "serious" game market which is and always has been a tiny niche of twenty something males (and a few that only would like to be).

And this is what completely sucks. No, this isn't just an apple thing. It's easier nowadays to know what device doesn't have netflix capability. And every device does 80-90% of the way, but then falls short in some crucial way.

It's like this: I have a nice $30 american made Mag lite LED flash light. Works pretty much better than anything. Then stupid Home Depot floods the store with chinese POS $5 flash lights that barely work. Since most people are cheap bastards, they soon become the only ones available and the good stuff dies off. Same thing with CFLs, tools, etc.

It isn't really that cut and dry of an issue. It is convenient to have a multi functional device. But you know what they say: Jack of all trades, master of none. And until someone figures out how to violate the 2LOT, it ain't gonna change soon.
post #56 of 169
Quote:

Um no. Look, AI. Its sort of cute when you, Gruber, and other pro-Apple outlets try to claim that Apple is somehow chewing into the console games market, but the fact is, they arent. The iPod Touch (and iPhone to a lesser extent) are certainly excelling at the entry-level, casual games market. After all, for people who just want to play something simple on the subway ride to work or while waiting in line somewhere, why spend $250 on a 3DS? Apples done a great job of getting into that market.

But there are very few people out there who are going to spend $500+ on an iPad and $40 on an HDMI adapter when they can get an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 for half that. Just isnt going to happen. If anything, the iPad will slightly cannibalize the gaming segment of the iPod Touch user base.

I love AI, Daring Fireball, and my Apple products, but Apple-oriented sites really have to rethink how they look at the gaming market. Angry Birds and Real Racing HD are not the ruin of, or even legitimate competition for, Assassins Creed, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, Battlefield, anything named Mario, Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, or any other long-running console franchise I can list here. Just is not. Theres a huge blind spot among Apple punditry when it comes to gaming.

.... That doesn't mean there is not the potential. Especially with iPad 2's CPU/GPU.

Obviously he doesn't mean "as-pretty-and-deep-as-Uncharted_2", but iOS *IS* giving Nintendo and Sony a run for their money. The DS (especially with the dud that is the 3DS) and the PSP are no longer the big players in mobile gaming.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #57 of 169
Quote:

Wii: 86 million sold to date in 5 years
PS3: 48 million sold to date in 5 years
360: 50 million sold to date in 5 years
iPad: 15 million sold to date in 1 year

I fixed this for you. The Wii is the only one whose numbers hold up to the iPad's yearly sales numbers, but you are crazy if you think that the iPad's sales numbers are not going to explode. Try to think about the gaming landscape in 3-5 years...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #58 of 169
Quote:

It's the graphics quality of the N64 at 1080p with the same low cheesy quality of all ipod games. Nowhere even close to a console.

$1-5 dollar gimmick games are the future thanks to apple.

A $5 game is only a gimmick if you sell 10,000 copies as it restricts the development budget that can be assigned.

If on the other hand you sell 100,000,000 copies of a game at $5 then with half a billion at your disposal will make for some pretty huge development scope.

Apple talked about 150m iOS devices last year. 300m by 2013 is not unreasonable. Let us assume 2 more doublings of CPU performance, 1gig of system ram and 2 lots of say 4x GPU (as opposed to 9x) top it off with Wireless HD (not wifi) / thunderbolt and you have a formidable (and technically plausible) scenario, add in wireless power so you can go forever in your lounge room (maybe by 2013)

You seriously think an amazing deep and long game at $5 can't sell 50m to 100m copies in a market of 300m devices, possible, but it would have nothing to do with the system rather that the market just doesn't have that many core gamers.

Thing is at $5 or maybe $2 with $1 track and parts packs (that add up to $10 if you want), the person who plays a little bit will buy it and have a look, have some fun occasionally and the person who wants to 100% the game will as well.

If it is quake 4, Lego Harry potter iOS or angry birds I want to win the game without dying, 100% everything or get 3 stars on every level. At $100 if I just want to play it through respawning whenever my buy rate will wither. At $1 if I play it through, get 1 to 2 star and maybe a few gold eggs I am happy, if I play some levels 100 times to absolutely smash it I am also happy.

My friends might drop $1 on the spot to just to have a look and leave it not feeling ripped.

At $100 you don't get the breadth of purchasing, the light and heavy buying the one title etc.

$5 does not make a gimmick. I have seen plenty $100 gimmicks and as for franchises like GT, I've seen the same game sold at $100 with a new paint job multiple times. It is neither clever nor enduring in the desire to keep paying.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #59 of 169
Quote:

The iPad is a great device. It is not a replacement for, or legitimate competitor to, gaming consoles. That’s up to the AppleTV, not the iPad. And so far, Apple has shown no interest in entering that market.

I rounded to the nearest full month to keep the math simpler. If you want to prorate all the days go right ahead. Ordered from most to least in the number of units sold.

• Apple iPod: ≈2.68 million (per month)
• Apple iPhone: ≈2.22 million (per month)
• Nintendo Wii: ≈1.69 million (per month)
• MS Xbox 360: ≈1 million (per month)
• Sony PS3: ≈1.26 million (per month)
• Apple iPad: ≈1.36 million (per month)
• MS Kinect: ≈2 million (per month)

Which of these companies would you bet on? The Kinect looks impressive but it’s new and an accessory to add life to an aging console. Meaning, those sales are not sustainable.
post #60 of 169
Quote:

Except the person who posted the artcle. GD

No he didn't. Read the article again. You still didn't define what makes console device.
post #61 of 169
Quote:

No he didn't. Read the article again.

How bout you read the ******* headline?
post #62 of 169
Quote:

I don't care who exceeds who after awhile. You can change the goal post and claim victory if you want; it isn't as if the original ipad is at +15 million.

But most people here claimed Kinnect would bomb.

1) The original iPad has sold more than 15M.

2) I think most thought it was a cool device. I know many pulled their Xbox 360 out of the closet, dusted it off and had good time with the Kinect this past holiday. The poin of contention on these boards was the claim that it would sell more units that the iPad would and the odd comparison to the iPad (which I defended on the basis of good free marketing.
post #63 of 169
Quote:

Really?! "closer to console gaming" = is console gaming?!
post #64 of 169
Quote:

How the hell do you infer “the iPad is a console level gaming device” from “iPad 2 sneaks closer to console gaming with 1080p Real Racing 2 HDTV output”?

Another example of the headline would be “Sprockkets sneaks closer to acting like an adult by no longer picking his nose in public”. That does not mean that not picking your nose in public means you are at “adult level” maturity, it just means you are just a wii bit closer than you were before.
post #65 of 169
Quote:

How the hell do you infer the iPad is a console level gaming device from iPad 2 sneaks closer to console gaming with 1080p Real Racing 2 HDTV output.

Another example of the headline would be Sprockkets sneaks closer to acting like an adult by no longer picking his nose in public. That does not mean that not picking your nose in public means you are at adult level maturity, it just means you are just a wii bit closer than you were before.

post #66 of 169
Quote:

How the hell do you infer “the iPad is a console level gaming device” from “iPad 2 sneaks closer to console gaming with 1080p Real Racing 2 HDTV output”?

Oooo, and there happens to be a console that doesn't even have 1080p resolution. What now?

Quote:
Another example of the headline would be “Sprockkets sneaks closer to acting like an adult by no longer picking his nose in public”. That does not mean that not picking your nose in public means you are at “adult level” maturity, it just means you are just a wii bit closer than you were before.

Bad analogy and you know it. The ipad2 is projected by DED as a stupid 17 year old teenager who already smokes and is sexually active and is waiting for 18 to come by.
post #67 of 169
Quote:

How much is currently used by the new AppleTV. Less than 1GB? Need for Speed HD is only 207MB, at least as the downloadable file from the iTS.

While 16GB would be better, I dont think 8GB is an issue, especially if were talking about 720p. I would expect a 1080p version of the iPad to include 16GB, at least 512MB RAM (though hopefully 1GB if they only plan to update them bi-yearly).

Nova 2 weighs in at around 1.2GB.

It's not really a "casual" game it takes hours to get through it, Dungeon Hunter 2 is another immersive title, some of the latest games require careful manipulation of memory, I have to delete games on my 16GB iPhone to fit the latest powerhouses on.

Firemint are a real Australian success story, innovative and showing what can be achieved with limited resources, since hitching their wagon to iOS they haven't looked back.

Their real racing series easily give any other platform's driving games a run for their money with quite a lot of depth to them.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #68 of 169
Looks slick, but I'll be really impressed when the Bullet Physics library [or equivalent] is intricate in games where Force, Mass and Elasticity/Plasticity and Surface Manifold deformations are applied.

When that car hits the wall it should really hit the wall and a yellow flag should come out.
post #69 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nova 2 weighs in at around 1.2GB.

It's not really a "casual" game it takes hours to get through it, Dungeon Hunter 2 is another immersive title, some of the latest games require careful manipulation of memory, I have to delete games on my 16GB iPhone to fit the latest powerhouses on.

Firemint are a real Australian success story, innovative and showing what can be achieved with limited resources, since hitching their wagon to iOS they haven't looked back.

Their real racing series easily give any other platform's driving games a run for their money with quite a lot of depth to them.

Thats big for an iOS game. I made a comment earlier in this thread about a way this could be handled with a push of simple game files if we assume that an iOS-based iDevice would be required for this setup.. but there might be another way, even if they do increase the amount of storage.

Since the AppleTV is stationary and likely tied to a home network where there is some Mac or PC with an iTunes account that is linked to the AppleTV, its possible it could what I stated before but rotate the needed apps from the iTunes account as needed. While not ideal if you do have to wait for a game to load into the AppleTV and load, it is a solution that may be faster than what Ive experienced loading optical discs into game consoles. Still, that would only happen if you run out of space and need to reload the game files.

Again, not ideal, but doable.

PS: Is it possible that 8GB flash memory was simply the most economical option for the AppleTV or was there a distinct reason for adding that much NAND just to run the OS and stream video?
post #70 of 169
The new iPad 2 is console class. Easily looks Wii or PS2 quality or better to me. Maybe more. Whether the iPad 2 has PS3 quality graphics is no more an argument than comparing a Wii's graphics to the PS3.

It's gpu power easily hangs with a PS2 minimum. And is no doubt looking down it's sights to PS3/360 quality graphics with it's next iteration with a retina display probably.

It's a console that you can play in your hands with a screen integrated. You can play it through your tv with a cable. One day, maybe without a cable.

The apps and games for the iPad dwarf the other consoles combined.

It's a great gaming device.
It's a great media device.
It's a great creation device.

It's evolutionary tradjectory over the next five years is frightening. It will eclipse the Mac user base inside two years of sales.

It will probably be close to the 360s 6 year sales inside what? 2 years? Ish?

Outputting to 1080p, to a hi-def tv with a device so thin, so powerful...is incredible.

The PS3, 360s and Wii? Old news. By some 5 years.

Everything about the iPad screams the future. From the app store...to the technical potential of the device which will double each year.

'Casual' gaming. Has dwarfed the 'serious' gaming crowd in such a little amount of time. It wasn't even a fight. Arguments about Apple producing 'gaming towers', 'hard' controllers for the iPad or even a 'console' are mute. They're old arguments and Apple have already moved beyond them.

Debates over game quality are mute. There are crap games on every gaming device as well as 'good' games. What isn't in doubt that another avalanche of games will come with 15-25 million sales of iPad 2 and quality will rise for the games publisher to stand out in that market.

Apple took there time to enter the 'gaming' market. But they crashed the party with a wrecking ball. M$, Sony and Nintendo ought to be well worried.

Apple whips tail. Kicks ass. This party's over.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #71 of 169
Quote:

The iPad is a great device. It is not a replacement for, or legitimate competitor to, gaming consoles. Thats up to the AppleTV, not the iPad. And so far, Apple has shown no interest in entering that market.

...in 11 months...

The 360 has been around for 6 years...
post #72 of 169
Quote:

Oooo, and there happens to be a console that doesn't even have 1080p resolution. What now?

Bad analogy and you know it. The ipad2 is projected by DED as a stupid 17 year old teenager who already smokes and is sexually active and is waiting for 18 to come by.

Wow, who is this guy? His logic circuits appear to have melted...
post #73 of 169
Quote:

I rounded to the nearest full month to keep the math simpler. If you want to prorate all the days go right ahead. Ordered from most to least in the number of units sold.

• Apple iPod: ≈2.68 million (per month)
• Apple iPhone: ≈2.22 million (per month)
• Nintendo Wii: ≈1.69 million (per month)
• MS Xbox 360: ≈1 million (per month)
• Sony PS3: ≈1.26 million (per month)
• Apple iPad: ≈1.36 million (per month)
• MS Kinect: ≈2 million (per month)

Which of these companies would you bet on? The Kinect looks impressive but it’s new and an accessory to add life to an aging console. Meaning, those sales are not sustainable.

It's also worth stating that the iPad 2 and the iPhone 5 are expected to be similar in power as the iPad 1 and iPhone 4 were. If they're linking to an external display, you could reasonably include the 100m iOS devices in this argument to some degree. iOS is a truly huge platform.

As the power of the devices increases, it will become a massive player in the games market, which spans PC, mobile and console.
post #74 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

It's also worth stating that the iPad 2 and the iPhone 5 are expected to be similar in power as the iPad 1 and iPhone 4 were. If they're linking to an external display, you could reasonably include the 100m iOS devices in this argument to some degree. iOS is a truly huge platform.

As the power of the devices increases, it will become a massive player in the games market, which spans PC, mobile and console.

Yeah, I opted for the lesser argument because it stood well on its owns and I didnt want to get a rebuttle of You cant group the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad together because they are blah blah blah but youre right. Even if we only use add the A4 or A5 versions of those iOS-based iDevices thats a lot of gaming devices in a single year that can essentially play the same titles, save for the ones that are iPad specific.
post #75 of 169
Quote:

Um no. Look, AI. Its sort of cute when you, Gruber, and other pro-Apple outlets try to claim that Apple is somehow chewing into the console games market, but the fact is, they arent.

Nintendo doesnt agree with you. .... Nintendos president, Satoru Iwata, the man who essentially willed the company to success in the past several yearshe was more or less responsible for the Wiihas told his sergeants to treat Apple as the companys most significant threat from here on out.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/05/07...ggest-problem/
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #76 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Nintendo doesn’t agree with you. .... “Nintendo’s president, Satoru Iwata, the man who essentially willed the company to success in the past several years—he was more or less responsible for the Wii—has told his sergeants to treat Apple as the company’s most significant threat from here on out.”

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/05/07...ggest-problem/

Yes, in the handheld space, which is actually Nintendo’s biggest market. They are absolutely correct to compete with Apple there, because Apple is beginning to eat their lunch in the handheld space.

In the console area… no. Not even close, and it won’t be in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

...in 11 months...

The 360 has been around for 6 years...

Which would be an excellent point if we were comparing rate of sales as proof of viability in a specific market. We’re not.

I’m simply pointing out that the iPad is not competing in the console market, nor is it a replacement for a console. Bringing up total sales was a way of refuting a specific point made in a specific reply about “hardcore gamers”. They currently outnumber iPad owners, so it’s not as if this a specialized niche market product versus a multifunction device. The point is that the iPad does not compete in the console market at all. An HDMI adapter does not a console competitor make.

“iPad 2 sneaks closer to console gaming with 1080p Real Racing 2 HDTV output” makes about as much sense as “iPad 2 sneaks closer to television set top box with 1080p HDTV output”.
post #77 of 169
Quote:

Yes, in the handheld space, which is actually Nintendos biggest market. They are absolutely correct to compete with Apple there, because Apple is beginning to eat their lunch in the handheld space.

In the console area no. Not even close, and it wont be in the foreseeable future.

Which would be an excellent point if we were comparing rate of sales as proof of viability in a specific market. Were not.

Im simply pointing out that the iPad is not competing in the console market, nor is it a replacement for a console.

So quickly we forget. It wasnt too long ago that people like you (and probably you) were saying Apple cant compete with the portable gaming market. There little handheld toys arent nearly as powerful as the Nintendo DS and SOny PSP. Now look where we are.

Note that even before these popular iDevices increased in performance YoY as these single-function handheld gaming devices stagnated for years Apple was already pulling users onto their platform because it offered a lot more functionality than simply playing some games.

So tell us, how can you be so sure that Apple will not be able to pull users into their fold the same way they did against handheld gaming devices that they never had a chance competing with when they are updating their HW every year, have an abundance of 3rd-party developers, and a low cost when you consider the other uses of their products?
post #78 of 169
By 2012 the iPad/iPad 2/iPad 3 combined sales will surpass 100 million sold. With 30+ countries selling weeks faster than the millions supplied monthly it's not difficult to grasp the end game.

By 2012 the iOS 4/4+ compliant devices will surpass 200 million.
post #79 of 169
Quote:

Not anymore. The 360 is now outselling everyone since it hit a lower price !

Outselling "everyone" apart from the Wii and the PS3.
http://www.vgchartz.com/

Quote:

And the Kinnect is the fastest selling consumer electronic device in history.
So far in two months it sold 8 million.

To be more accurate... Kinnect sold 8 million in it's FIRST two months. In the next two months it only sold 2 million. Christmas is over mate!
post #80 of 169
Quote:

Yes, in the handheld space, which is actually Nintendos biggest market. They are absolutely correct to compete with Apple there, because Apple is beginning to eat their lunch in the handheld space.
In the console area no. Not even close, and it wont be in the foreseeable future.

"The foreseeable future" may be a lot closer than one might think. As iPad sales increase at a faster rate then console sales .... and I think that is becoming clearer by the day, it seems to me that choices will have to be made by the consumer. A dedicated game console may be a necessity to a "gamer" .... but to the average (read: majority) consumer, a device that gives an adequate experience on a large screen TV (HD) and also fits the bill on many other levels, eBook reader, web surfing, video chat, email, etc. etc. and does it wherever you want to be at the time ...... well, imo, it's a slam dunk for the iPad. We'll see ...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad 2 sneaks closer to console gaming with 1080p Real Racing 2 HDTV output
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 2 sneaks closer to console gaming with 1080p Real Racing 2 HDTV output