or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 7-in. tablet makers find some success bypassing competition with Apple's iPad

7-in. tablet makers find some success bypassing competition with Apple's iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

iPod Touch 32G: $299
iPad 32G: $599

That's a massive gap - 2x
- so what would a 7" 32G iPod Touch HD cost.... $449?
- with these ratios it's not hard to envisage a 16G iPod Touch HD @$399, or even $349

Have to agree not only with the price point made by Samurai, but also a 7" is "do-able" by Apple.

It very well could use the exact same specs as the iPad2... however with a same resolution sized screen packed into 7", essentially being able to be labeled "Retina", since Retina only means "undecipherable pixel resolution at a normal distance to the eyes."

Due to being right in the middle according to size, you would be able to use normal iPhone apps as well as HD iPad apps if you so desire, and are not bothered by the smaller buttons, etc.

IMO a 7" makes total sense and would also be a huge hit. SJ was just "sproutin' off" as he does from time to time. And as anyone who's read my posts in the past knows, I'm a HUGE SJ and Apple fan. The success and sales that would come from Apple/SJ backpedaling on this, would take make the screaming, gnashing of the teeth, and forthcoming "tech-blog-blathering" an easy pill to swallow.

Unfortunate Fallout:

RIMM = thoroughly dead (I'm betting anyway they get sold by the end of the year)
Samy, Moto, & assorted other tablet wanna-bes = "...they have to do better"... repeatedly... as some would drop out of the race even, leaving the landscape looking just like the MP3 player/iPod one.

Actually, that would be quite sad, since competition is a good thing, even more so with tablets than music/media players.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #42 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No. And No.

OK... since your begging to be prodded: "care to extrapolate"... please Mr. Ireland?
post #43 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

"Competition" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Since the introduction of the iPhone, perhaps even as far back as the original iPod, Apple hasn't been spending a whole lot of time thinking of "the competition". They've just focused on making the best products they can conceive of. At this stage in the game, "the competition" would be more of a distraction for Apple than a motivation to innovate.

I completely agree with this. Focusing too much on what the competition is doing narrows ones field of view. Keeping your eyes looking ahead instead of on the car in front is how the race is won.

Quote:
Apple has enough internal motivation to innovate--and that is the best kind of motivation.

Totally agree with this as well. As an educator, it is the ultimate goal to produce an intrinsically motivated learner. They have a greater potential to sustain life long learning.
post #44 of 87
I really can't believe that there are those that think that a 7" couldn't be usable or useful for some people.

As a poster mentioned above, maybe it would be used for only a subset of apps, like reading, a movie, a game... and please don't say it couldn't be used as an address book, calender, data aggregator, "organizer" of sorts. And who's to say you "couldn't" even call with it... thing BT headsets. Is it a phone?... is it a tablet?... it could be anything you want it to be.

BTW: Apple has some pretty clever engineers... what about user selectable, or per App resolution. Jeez, the thing already zooms everything else smooth as butter, I doubt UI element size would get in the way "if" Apple wanted to do this, and I'm fully confident they would come up with " forehead-slap" moment of, "how easy and elegant is that?!".

Give it time. As there are with MBP's and iPods, there's a size and price-point in Apple, Made in California, "Post-PC" mobile device... just for you.
post #45 of 87
Are these "millions" of sales to the stores or to actual consumers?

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #46 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I really can't believe that there are those that think that a 7" couldn't be usable or useful for some people.

As a poster mentioned above, maybe it would be used for only a subset of apps, like reading, a movie, a game... and please don't say it couldn't be used as an address book, calender, data aggregator, "organizer" of sorts. And who's to say you "couldn't" even call with it... thing BT headsets. Is it a phone?... is it a tablet?... it could be anything you want it to be.

BTW: Apple has some pretty clever engineers... what about user selectable, or per App resolution. Jeez, the thing already zooms everything else smooth as butter, I doubt UI element size would get in the way "if" Apple wanted to do this, and I'm fully confident they would come up with " forehead-slap" moment of, "how easy and elegant is that?!".

Give it time. As there are with MBP's and iPods, there's a size and price-point in Apple, Made in California, "Post-PC" mobile device... just for you.

So true. By some people's logic, Apple should only sell 17" MBPs, too! After all, it's just as portable as the 13" model because they both fit in briefcase.
post #47 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Don't get me wrong, the 7" form factor will have a role to play in the future. But with Honeycomb closed off, Android developers and manufacturers falling over each other to come out with anything credible within lower price points, I don't see anything worthwhile coming out in the next six months.

The closing of the Android 3 source won't have any material impact on Android developers, it only removes the anti-Apple argument from FOSS fanatics.
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Apple should release iPod Touch with 6-7" screen, then people will perceive 7" tablet as a... non-tablet.
Kill 2 birds with 1 stone IMO.

Maybe add an iPod Touch 5" - same resolution, same interface as the current iPod, just physically bigger. That would make all the on-screen elements bigger, which would be useful for older folks and others with diminished eyesight.

The problem with 7" is that it's too small to be useful, but too big to put in a pocket, unless you wear cargo pants. The same iPod interface elements on a 7" would just be too darn big, but 7" is too small to fit the iPad interface on - the elements would be too itty bitty to be useable.

In reality Apple will likely never make a 5, 6, 7, or 8 inch anything. They've already hit the sweet spots of screen size, and economies of scale are hampered any time you add one more variation.
post #49 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

So true. By some people's logic, Apple should only sell 17" MBPs, too! After all, it's just as portable as the 13" model because they both fit in briefcase.

As soon as apple releases a smaller tablet, those same people will say how brilliant the idea is.
post #50 of 87
Quote:

I don't really care about "pocketable." But just because it doesn't fit in your pocket doesn't mean a smaller sized iPad (or larger Touch) isn't practical. I ride a transit train to work every day, and for all of the millions of iPads Apple has sold in the last year, do you know how many I've seen on my commute? Three. And every time it was someone who got a seat and they were resting it on their lap to use it. And the other times I've seen people with one (in person and commentators using them on TV), they are cradling it in the forearm, not holding it by the bezel. On a crowded, moving train, it could be difficult to hold an iPad securely (both from a dropping and theft stand-point).

The point is, portability is more than just fitting in your pocket. It's how usable it is in varying environments and conditions. Something smaller and lighter than can be more easily grasped would be useful in many circumstances.

The iPad 2 is both thinner and lighter, which should pretty much solve that issue. If you've hefted a 7" Galaxy Tab, you'll know that it basically has the same issue as iPad 1. Of course the only true remedy is a phone sized device or none at all.
post #51 of 87
When the iPad was first announced a bunch of(foolish) people said that it was a niche product. Apple thought it had a good design for mass adoption. Apple was clearly right. It looks like a 7" tablet is actually the niche product. I'm sure it makes sense for some but not enough to justify the cost, at this point anyway.
The people who want a 7" tablet aren't crazy for wanting a tablet that size, but your judgement of how successful it would be seems to be clouded by your desire.
post #52 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

As for actual numbers, Apple had nearly 100% of the tablet market a year ago. This year its dropped to the 80's. How's that for numbers for you. I think that the Samsung Tab had nipped some of that market share from Apple. Not bad for a 'clearly inferior' product. I expect it to drop to the 60's within a year. iPad will continue to sell well. As the competition gets ramped up, so will the competition.

1) Apple had ZERO percent of the tablet market a year ago.

2) Each sale will nip some of the market, but youre conveniently ignoring Apples role in redefining the market that gave the Tab and others a chance to hang onto Apples coat tails.

3) You erroneous assume that any marketshare the iPad doesnt have is marketshare the Tab has because its the only non-iPad tablet you know of.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #53 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

The other day, I saw a Samsung Tab in the wild for the first time. It looked absolutely the right size for me. Small enough to be portable and large enough to be more useful than a smartphone size small screen. I only wished it were less expensive.

Amazon is making a move with its App Store. I believe Amazon will be offering a comprehensive Android ecosystem alternative to iTunes shortly. That will be one less reason why Android is allegedly not equal to iOS. Amazon will have a chance to sell more music, video, books and apps. How's that for competition? I would like to see Amazon capture a greater share of the music sales away from Apple. Amazon has great pricing.

As for actual numbers, Apple had nearly 100% of the tablet market a year ago. This year its dropped to the 80's. How's that for numbers for you. I think that the Samsung Tab had nipped some of that market share from Apple. Not bad for a 'clearly inferior' product. I expect it to drop to the 60's within a year. iPad will continue to sell well. As the competition gets ramped up, so will the competition.

Yes, yes, we all know Apple is an abject failure as a tech company. You've told us that a thousands times already. We just forgot. Thanks for reminding us again.\
post #54 of 87
If you're gonna have a 7" display, you might as well use a cell phone. I don't find it useful except for eReaders.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #55 of 87
I've got to say, the success of the Kindle has been a real surprise to me. I remember thinking Electronic Paper sounded cool when they started talking about it, but after seeing it in action, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. The battery life is great, but by every other measure it falls far short of LED displays as even an e-book reader.

The first thing I noticed about the Kindle, of course, was the uselessly small size of the screen—so I'd already mentally said "Next!" before I noticed its other shortcomings (the low resolution and nonexistent contrast ratio). An e-book reader needs to be 6" x 9", or 5.5" x 8.5" at least, so as to preserve the layout of the book—just a few lines of plaintext fitted onto a page is not going to do the job.

So the screen size of the Kindle is just exactly the reason I would never buy one. Note that this is not a defense of the iPad, because I need something that will display my HTML, PDF, and DjVu files from a folder structure at least 6 layers deep—therefore the iPad is useless to me as well. (EDIT: As an e-book reader, I mean.)
post #56 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Note that this is not a defense of the iPad, because I need something that will display my HTML, PDF, and DjVu files from a folder structure at least 6 layers deep—therefore the iPad is useless to me as well.

That is a very specific need.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #57 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

That is a very specific need.

What, nobody else has downloaded books from Project Gutenberg (largely HTML because they're illustrated), manybooks.net (if a book is text-only might as well let them handle the PDF conversion), Google Books (PDF, of course, and all scanned, so a plaintext display like the Kindle's is useless), or the Internet Archive (all DjVu because of its inherent superiority to PDF, coupled with smaller file size)? I guess the "number downloaded" on all those books are fictional?

As for the 6-layer file structure, a finder window with 6000 lines behaves badly (actually, it starts screwing up at about 1400). Putting them all in a flat file (by author, I guess) would give me what, 500 pages on the iPad. Can you even have 500 pages?

So, yeah, I'm saving up for a MacBook Air for my e-reader needs, but a smaller device that would work right would be nice.
post #58 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Apple should release iPod Touch with 6-7" screen, then people will perceive 7" tablet as a... non-tablet.
Kill 2 birds with 1 stone IMO.

I agree. If there were a larger iPod Touch, using the same resolution as the iPhone 4 it would be great.

Due to my aging eyes, there are plenty of things that I have on my iPhone that would be better on the 6 to 7 inch screen. Email, videos, web and ebooks come to mind. Sure, I could bring my iPad everywhere, but I don't.

Other apps, like Garageband, I'd use only on the iPad.
post #59 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

BTW: Apple has some pretty clever engineers... what about user selectable, or per App resolution.

That's right, user-selectable resolution and user-selectable iOS: switch between iPad and iPod instantly in one device.

7" is a perfect size for eMail, video, gaming, light web browsing, ebook reading, light note taking, FaceTiming, as fancy remote control, as large cell phone (with blutooth), and as car dash-mounted computer.

7" may not fit into a pocket but it will fit into purse/small messenger bag and most importantly can be comfortably held by one hand.

10" iPad2 is still too heavy to be held comfortably by one hand without support.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #60 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Maybe add an iPod Touch 5" - same resolution, same interface as the current iPod, just physically bigger. That would make all the on-screen elements bigger, which would be useful for older folks and others with diminished eyesight.

The problem with 7" is that it's too small to be useful, but too big to put in a pocket, unless you wear cargo pants. The same iPod interface elements on a 7" would just be too darn big, but 7" is too small to fit the iPad interface on - the elements would be too itty bitty to be useable.

In reality Apple will likely never make a 5, 6, 7, or 8 inch anything. They've already hit the sweet spots of screen size, and economies of scale are hampered any time you add one more variation.

5", 5.5", 6", 6.5", whatever. The point is a pocket-book size device (including thin bezel) light enough to hold on one hand for a long period, has comparable battery performance (say 8 hrs.) & around $120 cheaper has a market. I may not buy one but my wife definitely will. (even I would love to have one just for watching video/TV on the bed) If Apple won't make one, They will leave a sizable market for their competitors to roam freely.
post #61 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

The iPad 2 is both thinner and lighter, which should pretty much solve that issue. If you've hefted a 7" Galaxy Tab, you'll know that it basically has the same issue as iPad 1. Of course the only true remedy is a phone sized device or none at all.

Perhaps. I have not yet had a chance to be hands-on with an iPad 2; but yes, the flatter back should help the "grippability". One of the reasons given for the large bezel on the iPad was so you could hook your thumb around it to hold it. If you can reduce the size to the point you don't need to hook a finger around it to hold it, then you can use more space for the screen itself because you'd have a small bezel. Granted, 7" is likely too big for even that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If you're gonna have a 7" display, you might as well use a cell phone. I don't find it useful except for eReaders.

Have you seen the size of some of the Android smart phones? There is some sort of demand for those size devices. I think they are way too large for a phone. But I also think the iPhone's screen isn't good for very many tasks that take more than a few seconds to complete. It's just too small.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad is a great sized device. But if I want/need something smaller, my only choice is a device which is severely constrained by it's need to be a phone? Making it a phone cripples Apple's ability to improve it (size-wise) because a phone nees to be portable enough to be a take-it-everywhere device.

The iPod Touch doesn't have that limitation, which is why I think we'll see a larger Touch before we see smaller iPad. And that's fine by me, as long as Apple adds the single iPad feature I'd like to see in the Touch...photo import. Other than UI gimmickery, I think that's the only functional difference between the two devices.
post #62 of 87
Quote:

What, nobody else has downloaded books from Project Gutenberg (largely HTML because they're illustrated), manybooks.net (if a book is text-only might as well let them handle the PDF conversion), Google Books (PDF, of course, and all scanned, so a plaintext display like the Kindle's is useless), or the Internet Archive (all DjVu because of its inherent superiority to PDF, coupled with smaller file size)? I guess the "number downloaded" on all those books are fictional?

As for the 6-layer file structure, a finder window with 6000 lines behaves badly (actually, it starts screwing up at about 1400). Putting them all in a flat file (by author, I guess) would give me what, 500 pages on the iPad. Can you even have 500 pages?

So, yeah, I'm saving up for a MacBook Air for my e-reader needs, but a smaller device that would work right would be nice.

Well, as I understand it, each relevant app manages files on its own. Apple has made it clear from the start that iOS devices are not full-fledged computers, and are not intended to be. The idea behind them is to simplify the way you interact with the device.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the "finder window with 6000 lines" thing--but that is my limitation, not yours. I do think that Apple deliberately left the "Finder" layer out of iOS, so it's unlikely that iOS will ever give you the kind of file system you're looking for.

In the end, engineering is all about making compromises.
post #63 of 87
At least no one's brought up the "Pocket Mac" thing.

Wait. Oh crap.
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

That's right, user-selectable resolution and user-selectable iOS: switch between iPad and iPod instantly in one device.

7" is a perfect size for eMail, video, gaming, email, light web browsing, ebook reading, light note taking, FaceTiming, as fancy remote control, as large cell phone (with blutooth), and as car dash-mounted computer.

7" may not fit into a pocket but it will fit into purse/small messenger bag and most importantly can be comfortably held by one hand.

10" iPad2 is still too heavy to be held comfortably by one hand without support.

That reminded me of a funny response I got when asking friends about their thoughts about the pocketability of even the iPhone. One friend said her husband would sometimes ask her to carry his iPhone in her purse because, even as small as the iPhone is, it's still too big sometimes if all you need with you at the time is a phone.
post #65 of 87
If it has a 7" Screen, it is not a Tablet in the way that the iPad is a Tablet. It's a slate device, sure, but no device with a screen that small is ever going to be relevant as a Post-PC device. It's too big to compete with Smartphones and too small to be as productive as an iPad or iPad-like device.

These things are toys. Geeky little diversions like the very first Netbooks (The ones that had... approximately 7" Screens! Funny that).

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #66 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

I think not. I guarantee the GPU in the current Tab 10.1 is not even close to that of the iPad 2 (and that is really a place that it will count and show it's inferiority). The iPad 2 GPU has 3.5x higher triangle rate and has absolutely no slow down when doing full-scene anti-aliasing.

Judging from the stats around wikipedia etc. the Galaxy Tab GPU will be around half way between the iPad 1 and Motorola Xoom.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked

So, the Tab sucks in that, ultimately the most important, respect. Cameras are generally irrelevant.

Heh. I remember times when Apple users were claiming raw performance is pointless - it is everything else that counts. And now that Apple has hardware superior product, more and more people are taking that as major advantage for the product

I don't think it is that simple. I just got iPad 1 for my mother. She lives overseas and will not get it for another 2 months (when I will travel to visit) so I got more than enough time to set it for her (as in install apps) and use it daily to see if I would be interested in tablet.

For me, iPad 1 is already perfect performance wise. I'm not interested in iPad games, video editing or anything else that demanding. Likewise, my mother - she will never do a game more complex than solitaire. But she will check email, Skype with me, read news on the web, check weather forecast...

So, yeah. Unless one is buying iPad for excessive gaming, one might find that performance is not that important at all. Personally for me, having functional Flash is more important than having graphics 9x faster than iPad 1, for example.

But even that is not too important. I will be surprised if Android tablets don't follow the same development curve like Android phones. I don't think iPad will keep hardware advantage for long, but then, I don't think that loosing raw performance edge will hurt iPad either; I don't think too many people will be buying tablet based on raw performance anyway.
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I don't think iPad will keep hardware advantage for long, but then, I don't think that loosing raw performance edge will hurt iPad either; I don't think too many people will be buying tablet based on raw performance anyway.

This is where it's interesting. Right now people don't flock out to buy tablet. They flock out to buy iPad.
When they buy the phone many people just want the one that also do email, internet etc. Some may pay more for iPhone but a lot of people just don't care. This is why I think for Android, iPad will be tougher than iPhone.
post #68 of 87
Quote:

That reminded me of a funny response I got when asking friends about their thoughts about the pocketability of even the iPhone. One friend said her husband would sometimes ask her to carry his iPhone in her purse because, even as small as the iPhone is, it's still too big sometimes if all you need with you at the time is a phone.

This Kindle fits small purse

Size comparison: Nook vs. iPad

post #69 of 87
Quote:

This Kindle fits small purse

Size comparison: Nook vs. iPad

The Nook and Kindle are huge compared to the iPad when you account for number of things they can do.
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Nook and Kindle are huge compared to the iPad when you account for number of things they can do.

And iPad is huge compare to MacBook Air when you account for number of things they can do? So what? That's not the point. The point is that there is huge market for more portable 7" devices.

By the way Nook can do almost as many things a iPad can do. It's Android based device with color capacitive touch screen, wi-fi, web browser, games, Office Productivity suite, music player, etc. And it costs twice less vs. iPad.

post #71 of 87
Quote:

And iPad is huge compare to MacBook Air when you account for number of things they can do? So what? That's not the point. The point is that there is huge market for more portable 7" devices.

By the way Nook can do almost as many things a iPad can do. It's Android based device with color capacitive touch screen, wi-fi, web browser, games, Office Productivity suite, music player, etc. And it costs twice less vs. iPad.

1) My emoticons should have clued you in that I wasnt serious about my comment.

2) You really should include an emoticon or people will think that youre serious that the Nook is almost an iPad in terms of functionality and usability.
post #72 of 87
Quote:

2) You really should include an emoticon or people will think that youre serious that the Nook is almost an iPad in terms of functionality and usability.

1) If you'd be serious it would have been more fun.

2) My emotions were too mixed to include them

Usability is subjective. And you can have all the functionality in the world, but if the device is too big and you can't take it with you then suddenly it becomes less functional. When the device is not with you it is actually useless

post #73 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is pretty simple really; look at the Nook and the amazon pads, they are almost an ideal size for reading documents and being handy enough to have with you all the time. You can't say that with iPad.

Sure YOU can't say that. But the high sales of the ipad 1 and the high demand for the ipad 2 sure sounds like a lot of folks can and have said it. Look at all the businesses reported to be buying up ipads for use in customer facing positions. Look at all the schools that are reporting successful pilot programs and increasing use next year.

You don't see that kind of stuff with those 7 inch tablets right now so perhaps Apple is making correct assumptions
post #74 of 87
SJ actually said why Apple wouldn't do a 7 inch and it had nothing to do with whether some users would like it.

He said developers would not bother to build UIs specific to that form factor. Apps would either be scaled up phone apps or scrunched down 10inch apps, this would result in poor user experience.

This discussion should be about whether this is true or not.
post #75 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Are these "millions" of sales to the stores or to actual consumers?

Who cares, as long as it's "smooth..."
post #76 of 87
Quote:

Aren't you supposed to be doing more important things with your time, unlike the rest of us?
post #77 of 87
Quote:

Your username is sounding quite apt indeed.
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Aren't you supposed to be doing more important things with your time, unlike the rest of us?

I finished early. Now I need to find another way to take up more of my time. Thinking about learning how to use Xcode or getting my pilots license.
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droo View Post

SJ actually said why Apple wouldn't do a 7 inch and it had nothing to do with whether some users would like it.

He said developers would not bother to build UIs specific to that form factor. Apps would either be scaled up phone apps or scrunched down 10inch apps, this would result in poor user experience.

This discussion should be about whether this is true or not.

Excellent point. Steve said specifically that users would have to file their fingers down to tiny points in order to interact with a 7" UI. The sales of iPad 1 and demand for iPad 2 suggest that Apple has hit the sweet spot in terms of UI, without cannibalizing iPhone/iPod touch sales.
Apple may change their tune if the market shows 7" tablets to be an even sweeter spot. Though, then it will be a question of unwashed masses versus the elite, uncompromising few. In other words, if 7" tablets really take off, will Apple join the race to the bottom? They might, if the 10" iPad loses significant marketshare to the point where Apple has horrifying flashbacks of the early 90s.
Then again, in the late 90s, when Steve came back, Apple didn't merely join the race to the bottom. Instead, they went in a completely different direction with the iMac. And, with a few exceptions (ahem *cough* CUBE) they've been hitting home runs ever since.
My guess is, Apple has got several contingency plans in place in the event that the full-size iPad begins losing out to the 7" market. Apple has the capital to have several products fully formed, but sitting on the bench. Not many companies can do that.
post #80 of 87
Quote:

I finished early. Now I need to find another way to take up more of my time. Thinking about learning how to use Xcode or getting my pilot’s license.

I hear the former is all the rage these days... I'm trying to strategise how to get into iOS development without having to be a "hardcore" dev right from the start. There are many opportunities. Some companies just want simple apps, for example their quarterly self-published magazine in iPad format.

I really sense we are seeing a repeat of the 2000-2010 cycle with 2011-2020. The former was all about the web, the latter, all about mobile and tablet.

Remember how it went from "What's a website?" to everyone needing a website. At the same time, tools, platforms, everything, evolved as well.

But as Remediation mentions ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remediation-.../dp/0262522799 still a great book today I reckon ) the mobile/tablet is simply another layer of media on top of all other forms of media which still exist and are "remediated" for the consumption style of the day.

What I cannot sort out is this apps, Android, iPad hype. It's like feeding off each other and sure, everyone wants to make a buck. But where are we heading? Every company needs a website. In five years, will every company need an app or at least a few? Probably, I think, but there's too much noise (ie. hype) in the signal.

How is Apple still curating and managing 300,000 iPhone apps? How are people finding apps? How many are purchasing? I guess this is why WWDC sold out so fast as well, people want the inside track. That and what I've said repeatedly for the past few months:

THERE ARE ALMOST ZERO UNIVERSITIES OFFERING AT LEAST SEMESTER-LONG, IN-PERSON iOS DEVELOPMENT COURSES. VIRTUALLY NONE.

Think about that for a second. C, HTML, SQL, PERL, PHP, whatever. BUT NO iOS DEVELOPEMENT COURSES. HECK NOT EVEN ANDROID is a common feature in university-level undergrad or postgrad courses. If anyone finds any, please PM me.

Right now Xcode knowledge is pretty cherished, but of course this will disseminate over time just like HTML did circa 1995-2005.

The issue I am facing is I am in a country where knowledge workers and staff in general are treated like disposable sales tools.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • 7-in. tablet makers find some success bypassing competition with Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 7-in. tablet makers find some success bypassing competition with Apple's iPad