or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple not yet aligning iPhone 5 part suppliers, handset may miss fiscal 2011

Apple not yet aligning iPhone 5 part suppliers, handset may miss fiscal 2011

post #1 of 84
Rather than issue a new fifth-generation iPhone this summer as usual, Apple may instead release an iPhone 5 this October or even later, slipping into the company's 2012 fiscal year.

Citing sources in the Chinese supply chain, Macotakara.jp reported Monday (via Google Translate) that Apple is not yet ordering components for its fifth-generation iPhone. The anticipated device is also not expected to contribute to Apple's fiscal 2011.

Apple's fiscal year 2011 concludes on Sept. 24, 2011. If the iPhone 5 were to in fact not contribute to the company's fiscal 2011 bottom line, the new handset would arrive after Sept. 24, making it a late September or early October launch at the earliest.

Monday's report indicated that Apple plans to ship the new iPhone in the "first half" of fiscal 2012. However, it is unlikely that Apple would wait until calendar 2012 to release the iPhone 5 and miss out on the strong holiday buying season.

The report said that Apple, for now, is focused on acquiring new customers for its CDMA handset, which launched in February on the Verizon network in the U.S. The CDMA iPhone 4 uses a different wireless radio than the original GSM-based model, and opens opportunities for new carrier partners for Apple.

Finally, the report also made mention of the rumored aluminum back for the iPhone 5, replacing the existing glass back of the iPhone 4. It appears Apple has toyed with the idea, but has not yet committed to making a radical design change with the next-generation handset.

In February, a separate rumor from overseas revealed that Apple had allegedly built three prototype models for its anticipated iPhone 5, and one of them has a "sliding cover" that conceals a physical keyboard. Another prototype reportedly built by Apple looks largely like the iPhone 4, but has longer battery life and a superior camera.

Monday's overseas reports corroborates a new rumor that Apple will not introduce any new hardware at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, scheduled to kick off June 6. In years past, Apple has used WWDC to debut its next iPhone.
post #2 of 84
Not necessary a bad thing. It'll save me some money. The iphone is great the way it is anyway. New software features will give it a new life.
post #3 of 84
I dunno, I don't buy it(the story that it will delayed). I would think the least they would do is go to the A5 or dual mode. That said, Im not sure what more hardware can be added to complement the basic features of the phone. Ideas? I'd be happy with an iP4(S?) if it was just upgraded a bit as mentioned. I personnally dont want NFC etc, others may.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #4 of 84
How many more quarters are we to read rumors, speculation, wishes and anticipation about the iPhone 5?
post #5 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

n February, a separate rumor from overseas revealed that Apple had allegedly built three prototype models for its anticipated iPhone 5,

I hate to hammer on this so often, but AI really needs to get with the dictionary. Right from the Mac dictionary, you will find that "allegedly" means "said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality." AI constantly uses this word when they really (I presume) mean "supposedly" or "reportedly." The word "allegedly" may sound more weighty and important, but it's not actually the concept you are trying to suggest -- unless you really do mean that the iPhone 5 prototypes are illegal or undesirable.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #6 of 84
If true I'm disappointed. I plan on upgrading to an iphone, and thought at this late date I might as well wait for the iphone5. I hope this is not true.....
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
post #7 of 84
iPhone 4s/5 will be same design as current model with a few modifications (bigger screen).

iPhone 5/6 which will have complete redesign and May 2012 release.

You don't change a winning formula.
post #8 of 84
Actually now, the June (?) white iPhone 4 release makes lots of sense.
post #9 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr millmoss View Post

i hate to hammer on this so often, but ai really needs to get with the dictionary. Right from the mac dictionary, you will find that "allegedly" means "said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality." ai constantly uses this word when they really (i presume) mean "supposedly" or "reportedly." the word "allegedly" may sound more weighty and important, but it's not actually the concept you are trying to suggest -- unless you really do mean that the iphone 5 prototypes are illegal or undesirable.

✓+
post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

✓+

How did my quote back become lower-cased?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #11 of 84
I believe that the only way Apple does a phone with a Slide Cover
will be if they do the phone with that 'Liquid Metal' stuff. For that, they would
Probably have to make their new A6 superchip do a whole lot more, in order to
Keep the price of the thing close to where they could make some money on it.
That will really separate them from the haves and have nots.
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

Actually now, the June (?) white iPhone 4 release makes lots of sense.

Here's hoping. Theres still a very good chance that there will skip the white iPhone 4 all together.
post #13 of 84
Either Apple is responsible for these rumours so that other manufacturers become complacent, or sometime wants to buy lots of Apple stock at low prices.

As we all know, WWDC has always been about software, and any hardware intros have been incidental and/or convenient... a one-more-thing kind of thing.

I can see Apple doing a 4G(S) with same design but updated processor and increased memory, and maybe a white iP4. The iP4 is such a gorgeous design, I reckon even Jonny Ives is going to struggle to beat it, unless Apple goes all one-piece aluminium and I certainly wouldn't say no to a 4" AirPhone (something similar to the Nokia Communicator 9500 or HTC WinCE devices).
post #14 of 84
This worries me. In a competitive market, I think they'd benefit from revising the phone MORE often than yearly. Less often just doesn't seem like the right answer. We'll see.
post #15 of 84
Typical baseless rumor that never pans out because the informant has no special knowledge. It's more likely they are out of the supply chain loop and imagining they know something being kept secret. Apple will keep the exact same schedule as previous. It works.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

This worries me. In a competitive market, I think they'd benefit from revising the phone MORE often than yearly. Less often just doesn't seem like the right answer. We'll see.

Not when most are stuck in a 2 year contract.
post #17 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That is weird isn't it!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #18 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr millmoss View Post

He probably just lower-cased your name (for... absolutely no reason...). See?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #19 of 84
Quote:
AI constantly uses this word when they really (I presume) mean "supposedly" or "reportedly."

The first two thesaurus entries for "allegedly" are "reportedly" and "supposedly" and not to mention that the dictionary entry says "illegal or undesirable," not necessarily illegal, which the delay in the iPhone 5 could be interpreted as. No need to "hammer on this" so often.
post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There were tons more case changes than the name ... yet not all ... very weird (cue The Twilight Zone music).. :
post #21 of 84
As I said in the previous article, this may not be true, Or if true, may mean little. Apple may be having problems with a new design, or they may have changed the design late in the design process, or there may be delays in getting materials or parts from Japanese suppliers, setting plans back for a month or two. Often, apple releases a product, but there is a delay in actual availability.

It doesn't mean that Apple is changing its timing deliberately.
post #22 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelryan View Post

The first two thesaurus entries for "allegedly" are "reportedly" and "supposedly" and not to mention that the dictionary entry says "illegal or undesirable," not necessarily illegal, which the delay in the iPhone 5 could be interpreted as. No need to "hammer on this" so often.

I think you may be correct. My reading of wikipedia's first paragraph seems to indicate allegedly i.e. referring to an allegation is no more than an assertions which is pretty close to a rumor ("an unverified account or explanation of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern")

"An allegation (also called adduction) is a claim of a fact by a party in a pleading, which the party claims to be able to prove. Allegations remain assertions without proof, until they can be proved"
post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I hate to hammer on this so often, but AI really needs to get with the dictionary. Right from the Mac dictionary, you will find that "allegedly" means "said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality." AI constantly uses this word when they really (I presume) mean "supposedly" or "reportedly." The word "allegedly" may sound more weighty and important, but it's not actually the concept you are trying to suggest -- unless you really do mean that the iPhone 5 prototypes are illegal or undesirable.

I think it depends on which dictionary you consult. According to Merriam Webster, allege means "to assert without proof or before proving."
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/allege

dictionary.reference.com defines allegedly as "reportedly; supposedly"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/allegedly

It doesn't sound like the definition is unequivocally limited to the illegal or undesirable.
post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

iPhone 4s/5 will be same design as current model with a few modifications (bigger screen).

iPhone 5/6 which will have complete redesign and May 2012 release.

Seems likely. For an iPhone 4s, Apple wouldn't need to assemble new components, just a drop-in replacement A5 CPU and more flash.

I don't think they'll even add a bigger till 2012. If they add it this year, they (and developers) have to support three different screens (not even counting the iPad). By 2012 the 3GS will be phased out, making that transition much easier. (And Apple is always very cautious about doing transitions properly.)
post #25 of 84
One thing is for certain: Apple's yearly update cycle is MORE important than quality refreshes.

Let me clarify, that doesn't mean they don't put out quality releases of hw/sw (they do).

It means that having something to release in June is more important than what they release. iOS 5, whatever it consists of, will have about 6 major new features...4 of which will be included in iOS 5.0 so it can get out the door....the other 2 or 3 will come in 5.1, due in the Fall.

Example: Anyone who thinks AirPrint and AirPlay weren't originally scheduled as part of 4.0 is kidding themselves. It was on the chalkboard, and got bumped to 4.1 & 4.2 because it was too much to complete in time for iOS 4/iPhone 4 launch.

iPhone 5 and iOS 5 will be no different. Apple has its goal dates. Whatever doesn't make the cut will be rolled out in the fall/winter. But the bulk will be out in June.
post #26 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think you may be correct. My reading of wikipedia's first paragraph seems to indicate allegedly i.e. referring to an allegation is no more than an assertions which is pretty close to a rumor ("an unverified account or explanation of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern")

"An allegation (also called adduction) is a claim of a fact by a party in a pleading, which the party claims to be able to prove. Allegations remain assertions without proof, until they can be proved"

In order for the sentence to be proper, this:
...a separate rumor from overseas revealed that Apple had allegedly built three prototype models for its anticipated iPhone 5...

Should have been this:
...a separate rumor from overseas alleges that Apple had built three prototype models for its anticipated iPhone 5...
post #27 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

In order for the sentence to be proper, this:
...a separate rumor from overseas revealed that Apple had allegedly built three prototype models for its anticipated iPhone 5...

Should have been this:
...a separate rumor from overseas alleges that Apple had built three prototype models for its anticipated iPhone 5...

Correct.
post #28 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

If true I'm disappointed. I plan on upgrading to an iphone, and thought at this late date I might as well wait for the iphone5. I hope this is not true.....

I think I have heard this very comment about a ZILLION times. If Apple would only... invent teleportation, beaming, you name it,,,,, then I would buy one of their phones...

Sorry, I will not use the troll word here but ... well.... just but...

like it.... buy it. It will work just great for what its made for. Period... Cause its an Apple.

Just a thought,
en
post #29 of 84
I wonder if this makes LTE more likely for the iPhone 5...

Also, I wonder if Apple wants to move the iPhone to the usual September iPod event since the iPod isn't a very big deal anymore. This could be a nice way to smooth things out across the fiscal year -- iPhone in the fall, iPad in the spring.
post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I wonder if this makes LTE more likely for the iPhone 5...

Also, I wonder if Apple wants to move the iPhone to the usual September iPod event since the iPod isn't a very big deal anymore. This could be a nice way to smooth things out across the fiscal year -- iPhone in the fall, iPad in the spring.

iPods are still very much a big deal. The iPod touch is how millions of people without iPhone contracts or monthly bills utilize iOS/spend money on the App Store/iTunes Store/iBookstore.
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

How many more quarters are we to read rumors, speculation, wishes and anticipation about the iPhone 5?

till june 7th
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #32 of 84
The lack of new parts in the supply chain means nothing. I expect the design to be very similar, in which case there wouldn't be many new parts, and what new parts there are may be sourced to new suppliers. Besides that, reports that come from supply chain sources are highly unreliable.
post #33 of 84
Quote:

That is weird isn't it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess we'll never know.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #34 of 84
(1) Verizon customers would be upset if a new iPhone arrived within 6 months of the iPhone 4's first availability on that network (not to mention how haggard Apple engineers would be).
(2) The iPhone 5 will be virtually as fast as the iPad 2.

Therefore... the iPhone 5 will arrive in the fall alongside the iPad 2 HD.
post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelryan View Post

Quote:

Yes, "alleged" can be used in a non-legal context. But in this context, it's essentially being used as a figure of speech rather than for its most direct meaning. What I am noting here is that AI constantly uses this term to imply a meaning that they probably do not intend, and rarely any other. Different words may not sound so weighty but they express the meaning more accurately. Pet peeve.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #36 of 84
Quote:

There were tons more case changes than the name ... yet not all ... very weird (cue The Twilight Zone music).. :

you have just entered... the lowercase zone.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 84
Firstly allegedly is used correctly. Secondly all this means, if true, is that Apple will release a 4gs.

More obviously to me: Apple have to move away from a predictable schedule as it is ruining a month of sales.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #38 of 84
That's means I have more time before I feel the emptiness of knowing that there's something better than my iPhone 4 out there...
post #39 of 84
As it is now, iPhone is playing catch-up to Android. I hate to think of the feature and technology gap that would occur with such a late release of iPhone 5.
post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwork View Post

As it is now, iPhone is playing catch-up to Android. I hate to think of the feature and technology gap that would occur with such a late release of iPhone 5.

If you were right, it would be a problem. Fortunately, you're not, so it isn't.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple not yet aligning iPhone 5 part suppliers, handset may miss fiscal 2011
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple not yet aligning iPhone 5 part suppliers, handset may miss fiscal 2011