or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Obama tethers an American iPad to his Canadian BlackBerry

Obama tethers an American iPad to his Canadian BlackBerry

post #1 of 63
The president of the United States continues to use a RIM BlackBerry, but he's now also carrying an Apple iPad.

The White House, like many other government and corporate organizations, continues to standardize upping RIM's BlackBerry devices for their vaunted security in messaging. But the president isn't waiting for RIM to offer its PlayBook.

At a town hall meeting hosted by Jorge Ramos of Univision, Barack Obama mentioned, "I took my BlackBerry off for this show, because I didnt want it going off, and that would be really embarrassing. But usually I carry a BlackBerry around."

According to a report by the Wall Street Journal MarketWatch blog, Ramos asked whether the president had an iPad.

"I do have an iPad, Obama answered, joking that he also has his own computer to the amusement of the audience.

I mean, Jorge, Im the president of the United States, Obama said. You think Ive got to go borrow somebodys computer? Hey, man, can I borrow your computer? How about you? Youve got one?

The report says Obama uses his iPad tethered to his BlackBerry, but that nothing was stated about how the president uses the tablet device. Last fall, it was revealed that Apple had contracted with Unisys to "provide maintenance and other services to companies and government agencies that purchase Apple devices."

Unisys had already started deploying iOS apps for government agencies, including a security app for US Department of Homeland Security border patrol agents, designed to allow them to remotely monitor border cameras using iPhones.

The US Army has been using iPhones with customized applications since at least 2008, and armed forces in the UK have also started deploying iOS devices for training purposes.
post #2 of 63
It would be very interesting to see what (arguably) the most powerful individual in the civilized world uses an iPad for.
post #3 of 63
Probably short movies of the kids, playing games, and checking on the US nuclear arsenal like most of us.
post #4 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It would be very interesting to see what (arguably) the most powerful individual in the civilized world uses an iPad for.

Well, he plays a lot of 'Angry Gaddafi'...
post #5 of 63
Black Berry? Seriousely, that's a joke in the making right there. Get it.

I thought you can only tether to a laptop, unless he has it jailbroken. Or am I behind the curve on this one. I don't have a data plan for that so I can't really test.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #6 of 63
Obama is loosing his cool. He's still using a blackberry. eeek! His age is showing. It's 2011 already..Android or iOS please.
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I thought you can only tether to a laptop, unless he has it jailbroken. Or am I behind the curve on this one. I don't have a data plan for that so I can't really test.

The iPad supports Bluetooth tethering, which I think is what the BB supports as well.
post #8 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackman View Post

Probably short movies of the kids, playing games, and checking on the US nuclear arsenal like most of us.

Funny "d"
post #9 of 63
So Obama uses an iPad.....

....... aaaaaaaaand?
post #10 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Obama tethers an American iPad to his Canadian BlackBerry

both made in China
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #11 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

So Obama uses an iPad.....

....... aaaaaaaaand?

They can't say it but it's the newest version of the football...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #12 of 63
Quote:

Let's hope that the aforementioned app doesn't become a best-selling app!
post #13 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Rovio's newest game, Angry Voters
post #14 of 63
That sounds like Obama alright. Saying one thing and then doing the exact opposite himself. I doubt that he bought the iPad for his own money. Maybe Steve Jobs gave him one for free when they had that little dinner get together recently.

The president says the "distraction" created by technologies like Apple's iPad is hurting America. Is he on point or just out of touch?

http://theweek.com/article/index/202...ma-vs-the-ipad
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Obama is loosing his cool. He's still using a blackberry. eeek! His age is showing. It's 2011 already..Android or iOS please.

I like the guy, but I don't think you could ever really describe him as "cool." He's way to conservative and way to dorky for that moniker IMO.

I mean have you seen him dance?
post #16 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I mean have you seen him dance?

Have you seen him ride a bicycle?
post #17 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I dont think he has much of a choice in that matter - the government security requirements at his level are not compatible with anything else.
post #18 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What about a Segway?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well he's got George Bush beat all to hell and he *can* dance.

I just meant he's more Urkel than James Brown.
post #20 of 63
Quote:

Well he's got George Bush beat all to hell and he *can* dance.

I would have to disagree.

post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

both made in China

Actually, one made in china, the other made in Mexico
post #22 of 63
I betcha he has the iFart app, imagine!
Last 3 Presidents:
Clinton shagging an intern doggie style in the Oval Office
W - spent most of his day playin golf and fishing
Obama laughing hysterically to ifart apps

good to know the world is in such capable hands lol
at least they are human, hmm

There is so much material here for a British style satirical comedy show, why can't the networks make one. Spitting Image made The Gipper a laughing stock, imagine what they would do to the last 4 Presidents and couple of hundred celebs and TV people.

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #23 of 63
You would think the most powerful individual in the civilized world could afford the 3G model.
15" mbp | iPad2 32gb | Nexus S | mobile-pixels
15" mbp | iPad2 32gb | Nexus S | mobile-pixels
post #24 of 63
Memo to the President:

You can buy an iPad with wireless 3G access. No need to tether.
post #25 of 63
Quote:

lol, priceles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKpro View Post

You would think the most powerful individual in the civilized world could afford the 3G model.

The most powerful individuals in the civilized world are his masters, and there are quite a few of them.
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKpro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1

Memo to the President:

You can buy an iPad with wireless 3G access. No need to tether.

To be fair to Obama, he probably wouldn't be allowed to use a regular 3G iPad. His blackberry is a special version that is more secure.
post #27 of 63
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #28 of 63
So what's his gamecenter id?
post #29 of 63
Quote:

just meant he's more Urkel than James Brown.

Ouch. Well in case there's any confusion...

Urkel's car:

Obama's car:

That said, it'd be interesting know whether Obama's iPad is off-the-shelf, or if it's something very purpose-built for the POTUS.
post #30 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Lybia didn't attack us... Heck, every coalition country that has shot at Lybia, Lybia did not attack!...

Neither did Iraq.

And we're supposed to care about the opinion of someone who doesn't even know how to spell Libya, a country that's been all over the news for the past few weeks?
post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Full data encryption? If your the president, thats slightly important...Although, its known he does not use it for government work anyways, that probably needs even higher encryption.
post #32 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Improve his bracket picks! IF he were smart...

Why is the "No Blood for Oil!" crowd so silent on Obama?

Lybia didn't attack us... Heck, every coalition country that has shot at Lybia, Lybia did not attack!...

Were these not the parameter Bush didn't follow? \

Where are the vocal anti-force crowd when you need them?!

Their silence rings hypocritical of their so called "Self-Righteous, Holier than Thou"
//

Hypocrisy is when right wingers insist that the US is weak for not storming Libya while also insisting that Obama is out of line for acting to stop a mass murder.

But the difference between Bush's Iraq invasion is that it was knowingly based on bad information, aimed primarily at gaining access to the nation's oil, left a destabilized bunch of warlords and terrorists in control, and cost America $4 trillion usd, with no support from the rest of the world.

In Libya, Obama had the UN run the show, acted only to stop mass murder by the Libyan military without illegally invading and assassinating a leader who the right wing of America had long plied with weapons and favors and overlooked as a mass murderer of his people, didn't attempt to seize the nations oil, didn't leave the country in chaotic shambles as priceless historical treasures were destroyed and hundreds of thousands of innocent people ( and thousands of ameican forces) were needlessly killed in a massive clusterfuck of bad planning and incompetence that made the world much more dangerous and inflamed Arab hate for the US as it created the largest US deficit ever.

So no, not really the same thing.
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The president of the United States continues to use a RIM BlackBerry, but he's now also carrying an Apple iPad.

Even I know that it should be President of the United States, not president of the United States.
And the proper honorific is not "Obama" but President Obama. Jeez, I hated President Bush's insides, but I still called him President. It's called respect for the office.
post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

both made in China

Best comeback. EVER.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Hypocrisy is when right wingers insist that the US is weak for not storming Libya while also insisting that Obama is out of line for acting to stop a mass murder.

But the difference between Bush's Iraq invasion is that it was knowingly based on bad information, aimed primarily at gaining access to the nation's oil, left a destabilized bunch of warlords and terrorists in control, and cost America $4 trillion usd, with no support from the rest of the world.

In Libya, Obama had the UN run the show, acted only to stop mass murder by the Libyan military without illegally invading and assassinating a leader who the right wing of America had long plied with weapons and favors and overlooked as a mass murderer of his people, didn't attempt to seize the nations oil, didn't leave the country in chaotic shambles as priceless historical treasures were destroyed and hundreds of thousands of innocent people ( and thousands of ameican forces) were needlessly killed in a massive clusterfuck of bad planning and incompetence that made the world much more dangerous and inflamed Arab hate for the US as it created the largest US deficit ever.

So no, not really the same thing.

You expect rationality from ditto heads and teapers? That'll be a cold day in hell....
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychencop View Post

i wish he would tether it to a Mac truck.

Care to elaborate?
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

You expect rationality from ditto heads and teapers? That'll be a cold day in hell....

As opposed to the left that can seem to rationalize EVERYTHING that BO does, even if it is the EXACT same thing that they derided GWB for.
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

As opposed to the left that can seem to rationalize EVERYTHING that BO does, even if it is the EXACT same thing that they derided GWB for.

As was already pointed out, it's not the exact same thing. I know it's tough, but do try to keep up....
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Even I know that it should be President of the United States, not president of the United States.
And the proper honorific is not "Obama" but President Obama. Jeez, I hated President Bush's insides, but I still called him President. It's called respect for the office.

In Europe, most media (and politicians speaking publicly) use both the name without and with the job title of their heads of governments, state or cabinet ministers. If you want to be formal you use the job title or you might use the academic title, ie, Dr. Merkel to refer to the German chancellor. Otherwise you often just alternate between the Chancellor, Chancellor Merkel, Mrs. Merkel or just Merkel, just to be not repetitive.

Only the royals are basically never addressed by their name only (not least because they have no real last name and using the first name publicly for anybody is very, very rare).
post #40 of 63
I think he's not too bad but Sarah's much better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzyT9-9lUyE
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Obama tethers an American iPad to his Canadian BlackBerry