or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration

post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 
A new rumor claims Apple plans to vastly improve voice commands on devices like the iPhone and iPad with the anticipated release of iOS 5 later this year.

Apple's "deeply integrated" voice control feature in iOS 5 is expected to be demoed at this year's Worldwide Developer's Conference, according to TechCrunch. The voice control will reportedly be a combination of artificial intelligence and assistance technology, and Apple's team is said to be putting the "finishing touches" on elements that will be demonstrated at WWDC.

The new features are said to stem from technology and personnel Apple obtained through its acquisition of Siri in 2010. Siri is the developer of a personal assistant application for the iPhone, and it allows users to speak to the device in plain conversational English to find information and automatically accomplish tasks, like booking a reservation at a restaurant.

The advanced voice control technology owned by Apple and said to be coming in iOS 5 may even be opened up to developers for use in third-party applications. However, author MG Siegler cautioned that information "isn't quite as concrete."

The latest rumor corroborates a report filed earlier this year by The Wall Street Journal, which claimed that Apple is working on "voice navigation" features in iOS 5. In addition, The New York Times claimed in February that Apple hopes to improve operation of the iPhone through voice commands because some users dislike using a virtual keyboard.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider exclusively reported that Apple is looking to expand its iOS development team with voice control experts. Apple put out three new job listings seeking employees to fill the role of "iOS Speech Operations Engineer."

TechCrunch was first to report this past weekend that Apple may not release iOS 5 until this fall. In years past, major releases of Apple's mobile operating system have arrived alongside a new iPhone in June.

Though Siegler initially speculated that the iPhone 5 could be released as usual in June, simply running a version of iOS 4, numerous reports emerged on Monday that Apple is not expected to release new iPhone hardware at this year's WWDC. A report from overseas claims that Apple has not yet begun ordering components for its fifth-generation iPhone, and the device is not expected to contribute to the company's 2011 fiscal year, placing it on track for a late September or early October launch at the earliest.

Apple announced on Monday that WWDC will kick off on June 6 at San Francisco's Moscone West, where the company plans to "unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS." The annual developers conference sold out in a record 10 hours.
post #2 of 97
So, new iOS 5 devices will be able to "wreck a nice beach"?
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #3 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

So, new iOS 5 devices will be able to "wreck a nice beach"?

Ding, Did you say "peck a nice peach"
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #4 of 97
A second gig for the actors in the Knowledge Navigator video.

Seriously, they need to think about having the two "professors" on FaceTime on iPads for WWDC.
post #5 of 97
Must be designed for Brian Blessed "GORDON'S ALIVE!"
post #6 of 97
Apple's new cloud service is not about streaming music (although that may be a part) it is IMHO going to be a slew of services including voice recognition, Siri based artificial intelligence and search, an Apple mapping services linked to all of this and probably language translation services amongst many other things. I predict the end of Apple's use of anything Google although that will be the user's decision.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #7 of 97
They should update the Mac voice recognition too, it's shocking. Only works with american accents.
post #8 of 97
Just how are they going to achieve this marvel when MacOSX has absolutely rubbish voice recognition?
post #9 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Just how are they going to achieve this marvel when MacOSX has absolutely rubbish voice recognition?

By improving it?
post #10 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.....because some users dislike using a virtual keyboard.

Don't get an iPhone then. Go get yourself a droid with that horrid slide out keyboard.
post #11 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

They should update the Mac voice recognition too, it's shocking. Only works with american accents.

Given computer recognition currently falls way short of the human brain and most people can't understand them, it will certainly be the pinacle of computing science when a computer can understand all the English accents!

I have no idea how to spell this but here is an example form one part of England ... "Why mon, I divn't nah what yar talkin' aboot, and diven't hoy yor proddle on the doggy mat in mah hoos."
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #12 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Just how are they going to achieve this marvel when MacOSX has absolutely rubbish voice recognition?

By throwing the compute power of one of the largest data centres at it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple's new cloud service is not about streaming music (although that may be a part) it is IMHO going to be a slew of services including voice recognition, Siri based artificial intelligence and search, a Apple mapping services linked to all of this and probably language translation services amongst many other things. I predict the end of Apple's use of anything Google although that will be the user's decision.

yup. Siri was remote server based speech recognition, not local CPU.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #13 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Just how are they going to achieve this marvel when MacOSX has absolutely rubbish voice recognition?

By using a server based system with far greater computing power as Google does now.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #14 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

By improving it?

They'll probably work extra hard at getting the App Store app to recognise dialectal variants of "Buy", "Purchase" and "More".
post #15 of 97
I can't speak for VR on a Mac as I have never tried it...but the voice recognition on my iPhone is awful.

Every couple of months I will test it, and it has never once worked correctly. Tell me, how in the world does "Play, Green Day" sound anything close to "Call, Ray Ramirez"? I mean the first clue should be it telling the difference between, "Call" and "Play". Why is this so difficult? It's useless.
post #16 of 97
Great! now people are going to be walking around talking to their phones....oh wait...err, nevermind.
post #17 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I can't speak for VR on a Mac as I have never tried it...but the voice recognition on my iPhone is awful.

Every couple of months I will test it, and it has never once worked correctly. Tell me, how in the world does "Play, Green Day" sound anything close to "Call, Ray Ramirez"? I mean the first clue should be it telling the difference between, "Call" and "Play". Why is this so difficult? It's useless.

Not sure what app you are referring to but I am staggered at how good the Google App is on the iPhone. It rarely makes a mistake on things I ask for it to search on. I am hopeful the server based system I hope Apple will be launching will be as good. I have an English / American accent too!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #18 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I can't speak for VR on a Mac as I have never tried it...but the voice recognition on my iPhone is awful.

Every couple of months I will test it, and it has never once worked correctly. Tell me, how in the world does "Play, Green Day" sound anything close to "Call, Ray Ramirez"? I mean the first clue should be it telling the difference between, "Call" and "Play". Why is this so difficult? It's useless.

That's funny... when I say "Play Green Day", it responds back with "No, Green Day sucks". Then it deactivates itself as punishment to me for even asking.
post #19 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

By using a server based system with far greater computing power as Google does now.

yeah, if it's anything like Googles recognition it will be amazing. 2 days ago I was speaking a text message on an android phone, I started speaking and then my friend standing next to me cut me off and started talking but it managed to perfectly recognize both his and my sentence....thats the only thing I like about Android...though I have the Google app on my iPad and it works just as well as it does on the Android phone.
post #20 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple hopes to improve operation of the iPhone through voice commands because some users dislike using a virtual keyboard.

Yeah, because if you hate typing an e-mail on the keyboard then you'll just LOVE dictating an e-mail.

I've had the Vlingo voice app on my iPhone for about a year now. It's handy for some things like a quick text message but it's a huge PITA when you try to do something more involved like compose an e-mail. Unless you're a professional speaker, chances are you won't do a very good job of dictating an e-mail, and unless the app is 100% accurate (and none are) then you're just going to have to use the keyboard to edit your message anyway. And editing a bunch of mis-recognized text is so much easier than just typing it out to begin with.
post #21 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

Great! now people are going to be walking around talking to their phones....oh wait...err, nevermind.



Having said that, no doubt there will be those that have to walk around talking LOUDLY to there phones as if this impresses everyone around them. How often sitting in airports have I had day dreams of owning a ray-gun that vaporizes such people!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #22 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphtashu Fitz View Post

Yeah, because if you hate typing an e-mail on the keyboard then you'll just LOVE dictating an e-mail.

I've had the Vlingo voice app on my iPhone for about a year now. It's handy for some things like a quick text message but it's a huge PITA when you try to do something more involved like compose an e-mail. Unless you're a professional speaker, chances are you won't do a very good job of dictating an e-mail, and unless the app is 100% accurate (and none are) then you're just going to have to use the keyboard to edit your message anyway. And editing a bunch of mis-recognized text is so much easier than just typing it out to begin with.

I agree I tried and abandoned dictation software in a few weeks after total frustration and went back to pecking with two fingers and a thumb (for the space bar).

Voice recognition is far more about searching and commanding ... all of us Trekkies are all ready trained since childhood on the use of such a device
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #23 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration

So James Earl Jones will be one of the voices?
post #24 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

yeah, if it's anything like Googles recognition it will be amazing. 2 days ago I was speaking a text message on an android phone, I started speaking and then my friend standing next to me cut me off and started talking but it managed to perfectly recognize both his and my sentence....thats the only thing I like about Android...though I have the Google app on my iPad and it works just as well as it does on the Android phone.

Most of these posts prove that Google did it very well before Apple could even consider it. It's also vaporware from Apple, they need this to perform flawlessly, and they need native GPS/NAV on the IP5 or else it's going to flop.
post #25 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

So James Earl Jones will be one of the voices?


I hope another post came since my last one along so this isn't consecutive to another totally different one I sent a few minutes ago .... \ If it did should I delete and go back and redo them as a multiple reply? Oh, but I'd totally lose my train of thought so I'd have to copy and paste the previous one before I delete it ... Oh bugger it here I go.

(Sorry feeling pretty teed off as Mac Rumors banned me for having responses adjacent without using multiple quotes. This after 6 years there!)

That was my exact instant thought when I read the headline but resisted the urge to write it for fear of ridicule
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #26 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

So James Earl Jones will be one of the voices?

Options for Barry White (Whacking Day version) and issac Hayes (Chef Version) will be 99 cents.
"I am jealous of everything whose beauty does not die."
-- Oscar Wilde
Reply
"I am jealous of everything whose beauty does not die."
-- Oscar Wilde
Reply
post #27 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Most of these posts prove that Google did it very well before Apple could even consider it. It's also vaporware from Apple, they need this to perform flawlessly, and they need native GPS/NAV on the IP5 or else it's going to flop.

So the iPhone 5 will flop if it doesn't have native GPS/NAV on it huh?
post #28 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Most of these posts prove that Google did it very well before Apple could even consider it. It's also vaporware from Apple, they need this to perform flawlessly, and they need native GPS/NAV on the IP5 or else it's going to flop.

As I read your comment, in my head all I heard was Meow meow meow. Meow, Meow meow... LOL

No seriously though, Google deserves credit for that but I don't think it will be too hard for Apple -they have synthetic unicorn blood to make it all magical.
post #29 of 97
So one of the main feature in iOS 5 I won't use. Nice. No matter how good the voice integration is, I don't like talking to a computer.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #30 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not sure what app you are referring to but I am staggered at how good the Google App is on the iPhone. It rarely makes a mistake on things I ask for it to search on. I am hopeful the server based system I hope Apple will be launching will be as good. I have an English / American accent too!

With an Australian accent it is hopeless, I've tried to use it, even given it a silent room to assist. It gets maybe 2 in 5 if I am lucky and that is saying uselessly easy things (as in common searches and places). Something complex sounding and it's 0 in 5.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #31 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not sure what app you are referring to but I am staggered at how good the Google App is on the iPhone. It rarely makes a mistake on things I ask for it to search on. I am hopeful the server based system I hope Apple will be launching will be as good. I have an English / American accent too!

I'm referring to voice control, which is built into iOS. If you are unsure of what this is, just press and hold your home button. The screen will go blue and indicate voice control is active.
post #32 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

Great! now people are going to be walking around talking to their phones....oh wait...err, nevermind.

You said that, but I guarantee you it will be more annoying that someone talking to a human on the other end when within earshot.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #33 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Just how are they going to achieve this marvel when MacOSX has absolutely rubbish voice recognition?

The dirty secret is voice recognition (which was really pioneered by Apple in the consumer space and that all Macs have always had), has *always* been rubbish. And not just on Macs, voice recognition is (very democratically), rubbish on pretty much all devices and all platforms.

That doesn't mean it isn't slightly useful sometimes and it doesn't mean that people don't want it however. This will probably be quite popular when it comes out. Voice recognition is another tick-box to check on the list of stuff a phone has to do nowadays, so they pretty much had to do it.
post #34 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

yeah, if it's anything like Googles recognition it will be amazing. 2 days ago I was speaking a text message on an android phone, I started speaking and then my friend standing next to me cut me off and started talking but it managed to perfectly recognize both his and my sentence....thats the only thing I like about Android...though I have the Google app on my iPad and it works just as well as it does on the Android phone.

I have had the exact same thing on iPhone's Google app when my wife said something and it integrated what she said to my utter amazement.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #35 of 97
So now it is going to cost us mobile data to even make it use mobile data.

Or better yet a swathe of features won't even work unless you have a network to use up your mobile data.

.com bubble

The cloud is rapidly approaching a rain shadow
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #36 of 97
Dragon Dictation on the iPhone, while it does certainly make errors, is surprisingly effective for ordinary purposes. Don't use it for your résumé, but for a quick email to your friends it's fine.

But Dragon doesn't get held to the same high standard that Apple would. It's a user installed app and not part of the core iOS. If it works well enough for you, fine, if not, no big deal. But now imagine that Apple includes wide ranging voice recognitionthat damn well better work well, and really well, or the company will become the endless butt of late-night comedians' jokes.

Those with longer memories will remember what happened with the Apple Newton and its handwriting recognition. That actually worked much better than myth would have it, but there were enough hilarious mistakes that there was simply no coming back from it.
post #37 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I'm referring to voice control, which is built into iOS. If you are unsure of what this is, just press and hold your home button. The screen will go blue and indicate voice control is active.

I don't use the Universal Access so my home button functions normally. But you answered my question, you are using the option for the physically handicapped users. I take your word for it that it is not very good, I honestly have never tried it in the years I have used Macs (since 1984) . As others have explained this is a totally different system using vastly greater computing power at the server end not the Mac's CPU as your set up is doing.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #38 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The dirty secret is voice recognition (which was really pioneered by Apple in the consumer space and that all Macs have always had), has *always* been rubbish. And not just on Macs, voice recognition is (very democratically), rubbish on pretty much all devices and all platforms.

That doesn't mean it isn't slightly useful sometimes and it doesn't mean that people don't want it however. This will probably be quite popular when it comes out. Voice recognition is another tick-box to check on the list of stuff a phone has to do nowadays, so they pretty much had to do it.

I hope that isn't their reasoning nor their inspiration for the feature. That reminds me way to much of what RIM is going with the playbook, by throwing everything and the kitchen sink into it, simply to be able to check a box and say they have it. Apple is better than that. If they implement this, especially if they make it a highly touted feature, I expect they will do so with the level of attention to detail that Jobs has built into their DNA.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #39 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't use the Universal Access so my home button functions normally. But you answered my question, you are using the option for the physically handicapped users. I take your word for it that it is not very good, I honestly have never tried it in the years I have used Macs (since 1984) . As others have explained this is a totally different system using vastly greater computing power at the server end not the Mac's CPU as your set up is doing.

Voice commands aren't enabled through Accessibility and are not really meant as an option for just handicapped users, at least they are not configured anywhere to do with Accessibility. iPod Voice Control is always on and Voice Dialing is enabled in the Settings->General->Pass Code Lock and is always on unless you have a passcode lock, in which case you can enable it or disable it. I am not sure if you can disable the 'Press and Hold Home' for voice control at all.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #40 of 97
Interesting news, but I do have a tiny problem with it, being able to use voice commands for a slew of tasks is great, but I'm hoping this wont render the iPhone useless "cool feature wise" in all but the high volume countries.
Siri is not available to download in sweden, nor do we have any restaurants that is connected to open table, or the taxi service, or anything else for that matter.

Please don't let this be another service that will never show up outside the north american and 5 largest european countries, the iTunes store is already worthless over here as it is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration