or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge

post #1 of 135
Thread Starter 
More than two weeks after the iPad 2 went on sale in the U.S., lines continue to form at Apple stores around the country as new shipments arrive, prompting one Wall Street analyst to significantly increase his forecast for 2011 shipments.

Analyst Charlie Wolf with Needham & Company issued a new note to investors on Tuesday entitled "AAPL: Shock and Awe!" In it, Wolf reveals he has increased his projected iPad sales for 2011 by 10 million, to a total of 30 million.

Wolf has also increased his prediction for 2012 iPad sales by 10 million, totaling 40 million next year. These changes amount to an earnings per share estimate increase of $1 in 2011 to $23.25, while he sees Apple earning $27.35 EPS in 2012.

"Attempting to forecast the growth trajectory of a new category of computers is difficult, if not perilous," Wolf wrote. "However, the launch of the iPad 2 so far exceeded our expectations that it was evident our 2011 and 2012 shipment forecasts were dramatically low."

He said that hopeful competitors to the iPad have missed the point: the device's success is tied to its software, not the hardware. But competing devices, like those running Android Honeycomb, don't offer enough applications to entice most users.

"In our view, Android's problems go beyond the dearth of applications," he said. "The Honeycomb interface itself appears overly complex for the purpose it was intended -- an intuitive, easy-to-use platform for running applications written for Android."

Wolf noted that there is a "robust gray market" for the iPad 2, as lines for the device continue to form across the U.S. He sees this as a sign that the biggest opportunity for Apple with the iPad may be in China.

Lending support to Wolf's conclusions regarding the gray market, AppleInsider reader Noah sent details and video on Tuesday from the iPad 2 line at Apple's New York City retail store in SoHo. The line of customers reportedly wrapped around Prince Street, north on Greene Street and almost to Houston, while most who were waiting were said to be speaking mostly Mandarin and some Cantonese.

"Ten or so minutes after they allowed the line in, we were told that all of the AT&T versions were sold out," he said in an e-mail. "Some people left grumbling (me included). Ten minutes from them, the same went for all Wifi models. Only Verizon's versions remain."



Apple experienced crushing demand for the iPad 2 at launch in the U.S., and last week's international launch saw similar sellouts across the globe. But there have been signs that availability is improving, with shorter estimated shipping times from Apple's online store, and expanded retail availability at Radio Shack stores starting today.
post #2 of 135
I wasn't impressed with the web-browsing speed of the iPad 1, so I never bought one.

However, now that the thing is snappier, I'd be willing to buy one.

I joined the rest of you in the ranks of the waiting list. I ordered a white 16GB model for my retired parents, who will love using the camera connector. I envision them getting back back to the car from a bird-watching or lighthouse-seeking trip, plugging the camera into their iPad, and using it to view the shots they just took on a bigger screen. And they can also use it to email while they're out and about on their weekend jaunts.

If even senior citizens love the iPad....yeah, these things will sell like hotcakes.
post #3 of 135

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #4 of 135
... full disclosure.

charlie "shock and awe" wolf:
  • has a financial interest in AAPL (i.e., he has a long position consisting of common stock).
  • has received compensation based upon various factors, including quality of research, investor client feedback and his companys overall revenues, which includes investment banking revenues.
  • his company at the time of publication, makes a market in AAPL.

read the requisite full disclosures on any of his writings.

i, too, own apple stock and want people to buy, buy, buy.

but beware the messenger, he is not unbiased.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #5 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... on Tuesday from the iPad 2 line at Apple's New York City retail store in SoHo. The line of customers reportedly wrapped around Prince Street, north on Greene Street and almost to Houston, while most who were waiting were said to be speaking mostly Mandarin and some Cantonese.

My GF & I walked past the SoHo Apple Store on iPad2-Day. We were both a surprised that at least 75% of the people in line were Chinese... and it DID wrap around the block. We thought it was a bit weird, since most of the tourists in SoHo are plump middle-Americans.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #6 of 135
Analysts who increase their estimated iPad shipments based on demand are clueless. Apple will sell 100% of what they make short of a manufacturing miracle. The sole determiner of iPads shipped in 2011 is how many iPads Apple can manufacture in 2011. If they have any observations on supply chains, increased build efficiency, or improved processes, THAT could lead to an increase in 2011 iPad estimates.
post #7 of 135
More like 'shock and..... aw.'

(I am not complaining, though..... )
post #8 of 135
Apple created their own Unicorn a spry power buck and they are riding that b**** all the way to the bank. On the other hand Google has caught something. Not a Unicorn but an effing 20 year old mare with a fu***** catenary as a spine.
Sorry fandroid!
post #9 of 135
Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.
post #10 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It certainly says a lot about today's society that people use such ridiculous, over-the-top superlatives to talk about even the 2nd Gulf war let alone trivial things like this...

Gee, sort of like the way people use the word "awesome" to describe everything?
A new pair of socks...
Taking a good crap...
A TV show or pop song...
You name it, it's "awesome".
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #11 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

We all know about the devastation in Japan does that mean we are not allowed to get excited about something good that happens here? I donated money to the Red Cross and I did it on my iPad.

The next person who mentions Japan in a thread that has nothing at all to do with what happened there should be smacked upside the head. I've donated also, and I don't care for any whiners, whining about what other people should do or care about.
post #12 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

I understand what you're saying and yes, Android tablets will gain market share. They will be pimped out to target at $49.99 for black Friday. No support and poor build quality. As for that tinkering crap you mentioned. Child please! I have a cousin that tinkers with his pc and never gets a damn thing done cause he's always under the hood of a Dell. As for me my macbook never needs tinkering. I turn it on, get my business done, turn it off and live life.
But if you want to spend your days in your mom's dingy basement trying to trick out a dual core Tegra 2 Xoom by putting in unsupported kernels, knock yourself out.
post #13 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Business is definitely war. Apple is most certainly raping the competition! Oops, somebody might be offended by that too.

Typing this on my rape kit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zachimal View Post

It will be another phrase with a sinister origin that becomes used in all manner of ways, such as the "rule of thumb."

The etymology to which I think you refer has no historical evidence to back it up.

Welcome to the forum.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 135
I would love to be an Apple cheerleader as much as anyone, but in this case I think the analysts are talking out of their 'hats'. Probably because they drove the stock down a little and now they need it to go back up

These lines are because of stock shorts, nothing more or less. So not really that impressive.

Now if they had lines and had had lines day after day that went for hours while they were pumping out huge stack of ipads. Even just lines from 9am until late lunch time. THEN folks should be impressed. Because that would mean hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions, of sales that that is something to crow about

Some folks are saying "Apple clearly hasn't sold a lot because they haven't released numbers". I disagree. I'm sure they topped a million in the first couple of days. But it seems tacky to crow about hitting 1 million units in say 3 days when there are thousands of folks chasing ipads for now 2 weeks. So it is tactful that they aren't saying anything until that settles down. and while I know that folks are tried of the J word, yes it is more tactful not to crow about fast sales when that was fresh on the worlds mind. Not even Apple can afford negative PR

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #15 of 135
Wow. You post that iPad2 sales projections are seriously understated from an "analyst" who stands to personally gain both financially and professionally from that advice? Now I'm in shock and awe. The advice may or may not turn out to be on-target. But to post it as a news article to be taken on face value? DED wouldn't accept an article from an any analyst with a Google stake without mentioning it, and he knows who this guy is. Putting an Apple slant on legitimate news is to be expected and perfectly OK (After all, this is Apple Insider). I'd like to think that AI is more than just a fanclub tho. Seems a bit dishonest to promote someone's financial views as news without full-disclosure, particularly since AppleInsider editors like DED also benefit financially if Wolf's views result in higher stock prices.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #16 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

Android handsets and Android tablets are not the same thing. Retailers are giving away Android handsets for free. Nobody is giving away any Android tablets for free, even the cheap and crappy ones. Many people who buy tablets do not want to be locked to a two year contract like with a cell phone purchase.

Android has zero chance of leading the tablet market in the "very near future" as you write.
post #17 of 135
Australian iPad 2 madness - Fans are "livid"
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/t...329-1cdvx.html
post #18 of 135
I misinterpreted the lack of lines when I go to the Boylston Apple Store in Boston, the days after the launch. As it turned out, the lines were even before the store opens. Based on the number of shipments made, they just provide the tickets to those already on line, first come-first served basis, until all the shipments have been alloted. This way, peole do not have to waste their time waiting in line, only to be told -- there's no more.

What would have nice revision of the policy would have been to give those already in line a priority for next or future day delivery. And so on. until all customers who want the iPad are able to get one.

Or, they could just order online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Australian iPad 2 madness - Fans are "livid"
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/t...329-1cdvx.html


That's an odd reaction. Would they rather have felt better if Apple launch in Australia whe Apple was sure to meet all demands (which is a nebulous estimate)? That would mean it would never be launched.

Apple has to maintain a steady production rate based on their projected "annual demand
taking into consideration that there is a surge during the launch, and during the holiday season

CGC
post #19 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share.

Of course it will. When you start at zero and add one, you've gained market share :-).

Seriously, though, it will be interesting to see if high-end Android tablets repeat the same gains that happened in the high-end smart phone market.

No doubt, low-end crap will sell well and, when playing the numbers game, Apple will eventually lose its dominant market share to cheap pads. That's like arguing netbooks are the cream of the crop because they outsell MBPs -- what a load of crap that argument is.

What's impressive is that Apple is making the best all-around tablet right now *and* beating the pants off the competition. Even more amazing is that Apple is one of the least expensive devices out there right now. Someday, the (really) cheap tablets will arrive and all this may change. Then again, at the prices Apple is charging (not too high of a price barrier) maybe most people will save up their pennies and get the device with the good software on it...
post #20 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Analysts who increase their estimated iPad shipments based on demand are clueless. Apple will sell 100% of what they make short of a manufacturing miracle. The sole determiner of iPads shipped in 2011 is how many iPads Apple can manufacture in 2011. If they have any observations on supply chains, increased build efficiency, or improved processes, THAT could lead to an increase in 2011 iPad estimates.

I was thinking the same thing... do we yet have any actual sales figures from Apple? Long lines can mean two things. There is huge demand. Or there is low supply. (Or, obviously, a combination of both.) Unless we have actual numbers, it's hard to reach conclusions. Is there a real supply constraint due to the situation in Japan? Is there a fear of a future supply constraint causing artificially high demand now (especially for the gray market in countries where it's not yet available), sort of a "get it while you can" mentality. Is Apple/Foxconn constraining production to stretch out their component inventories until Japan can get back on it's feet? Why pay workers over time now if you are just going to run out of components in 2-3 weeks?

From what I've read elsewhere, while there are long lines, it also seems that even Apple's own stores are getting fairly low inventory restocking each day. Suggesting that at least some of the reason for continuging long lines is low supply. But even that could be a result of the large number of retail outlets selling the device, not due to low output from the factories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Gee, sort of like the way people use the word "awesome" to describe everything?

Or "magical".
post #21 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I thought business was a football game, be it American or the real kind. Damn metaphors.

No, football is like a game of chess.

(I wonder how long we can keep this going)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

These lines are because of stock shorts, nothing more or less. So not really that impressive.

Wrong. Some Apple stores have had thousands of units in stock which were gone in mere hours. It's not like there's two iPads per store and Apple is intentionally holding back supply.

The iPad is sold out all over the world. From the USA, to Germany, to Australia, to New Zealand, to the UK, damn near everywhere.
post #23 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont get how desarc can know the definition but then not be able to see business as a battle. I think "shock and awe or rapid dominance easily work here.

no no no, this is Apple. it's not shock and awe. it's "magic".
post #24 of 135
I went to a best buy to see if they had an iPad but I was told that all of the stores are on like a 45 day waiting period. I am looking to get one for college (since I am a freshman in an engineering program). But I really only need the horsepower of a laptop in engineering class itself). So I am trying to get one ASAP. My question being is this true? Cause it sounded like BS.
post #25 of 135
Apple has ruined their product launches for me. I used to be excited about getting my hands on a new product. That began to end with the iPhone 4 launch when they delayed my shipment.

I ordered the iPad 2 the day after the release because I couldn't leave work to stand in line. Apple cancelled my order last week and refunded my money with no explanation. So basically I don't care anymore.

My boss' business contact at the Apple Store Willow Bend doesn't answer the phone or return calls. The "magic" is gone.
post #26 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I went to a best buy to see if they had an iPad but I was told that all of the stores are on like a 45 day waiting period. I am looking to get one for college (since I am a freshman in an engineering program). But I really only need the horsepower of a laptop in engineering class itself). So I am trying to get one ASAP. My question being is this true? Cause it sounded like BS.

There is no 45 day waiting period for Apple Stores. They get shipments nearly every day. If you want within a few weeks just order it online, if you want one sooner than youll have to call around and take your chances at Apple Stores and other retailers. I know some people have had success on MR forums being told when BestBuy received a huge shipment.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

I don't think you can compare phone sales to tablet sales. The main reason people bought android phones was the cost, which issubsidized by the carriers. Two for one sales and free phones. A few anti apple fanatics bought them. Tablet sales are full cost. No one can compete on price unless they take smaller margins to buy market share.

A colleage of mine was telling me yesterday he bought a 7" acer pad at Giant Tiger (deep discount store which sells clearance crap) for $99. He said it was originally $299. It runs android 1 or 2 but he can upgrade it to 2.2. He didnt know how but his friend is a computer geek and he'll do it for him. I asked him if he bought any clothes as well. Of course he said 'no, I wouldn't wear that crap'. Then I asked him if he'd buy a VCR for $10. He thought I was kidding so I explained that android 2.2 is the phone OS and they just scale it up for a 7" pad. Watching movies will be like comparing VHS tapes to DVD. It told him that that's what those devices are worth - $100.

My point is that people don't buy these devices at full cost because they are inferior to iPads. They have to be cleared out at deep discount prices. How long will companies make stuff, find out it's not selling and then sell at a loss. Not a very solid business plan.

(oh, and I had to laugh when he told me there were a bunch of pictures of Chinese people on it, like someone else had bought it and returned it. Then he kept wanting to borrow my iPad to play angry birds and said how clear it was)
post #28 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple has ruined their product launches for me. I used to be excited about getting my hands on a new product. That began to end with the iPhone 4 launch when they delayed my shipment.

I ordered the iPad 2 the day after the release because I couldn't leave work to stand in line. Apple cancelled my order last week and refunded my money with no explanation. So basically I don't care anymore.

My boss' business contact at the Apple Store Willow Bend doesn't answer the phone or return calls. The "magic" is gone.

I remember you mentioning that in the past about your order getting mysteriously cancelled. I'm curious as to why you did no simply reorder after a set period of time. Is it possible your credit card info was invalid at the time you ordered it, or perhaps you were an unfortunate victim of a system snag?
post #29 of 135
Because then I would have to reorder and wait another 4 weeks from that point. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Like I said, Apple had my money and put it back into my account. I recall them doing this with people after the iPhone 4 launch where people were having their orders mysteriously cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I remember you mentioning that in the past about your order getting mysteriously cancelled. I'm curious as to why you did no simply reorder after a set period of time. Is it possible your credit card info was invalid at the time you ordered it, or perhaps you were an unfortunate victim of a system snag?
post #30 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

If you bought yourself a Xoom, considered by many reputable reviewers to be the best bet among the crop of Android so far that has been released (the key term there is "released" not "will be released") that would have been the push towards the fulfilment of your prediction.

"I heard there were long lines for Xoom -- Motorola is rethinking its strategy and the rumor is that they decided to build an even better Xoom II sooner than even they planned to do, to meet the growing demand."

Now, if you decide not to buy a tablet, after such high confidence of the inevitable triumph of the Android in the tablet market, where will all the Android buyers come from?

If you can resolve the contradiction for me, then there is hope for Android tablets to overtake iPad2.

To assume that Android tablets will overtake the iPad simply because of the "current lead" in the smartphone failed to consider the factors that differentiate the two products and the factprs involving their sales to consumers.

I myself predicted in this forum that the Android smartphones when considered in their totality might overtake the iPhone a few years back -- when Apple diehards here were gloating about the lead of the iPhone.

The tablet marketing is not dependent to any carrier intervention and that changes the market altogether. In spite of Amazon's grandstanding to one-up Apple, in trying to create a niche for itself in the Android ecosystem, I do not foresee in the next year or so for the Android Ecosystem to beat the Apple Ecosystem in terms of Appls and other services (Apple Store, Genius Bar, One-to-One service, online seminars and actual seminars, etc., etc.).

What good is a car, if one does not know how to drive? When it comes to mobile computing devices. That is where many consumers are == their lack of expertise in the technical aspect of the device. And Apple is there to help the consumer who needs handholding to have the chance to "learn to drive".

That is where the much derided "walled garden" of the Apple Ecosystem excel.

The main hope of Android tablets therefore is not only to beat Apple in technical superiority, eventually offer a better consumer experience (with a much improved holistic ecosystem), and with not much carrier subsidy, beat Apple also in pricing.

When any company in the Android fold can do that, or if they world collaboratively to offer a viable alternative to the Apple Ecosystem -- that is when there is a chance for Android to overtake Apple.

But, even IF the latter might happen in the future, for as long as Apple maintains its superior ecosystem, it is not likely that those who are already in the Apple Ecosystem would simply shift allegiance. 200 million iTunes cardholders is a pretty nice cushion to have as a lead customer base.

CGC
post #31 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


No no no, they would never let Phil direct. Not even long after Steve leaves Apple to rule a small country (named Appleton). No, it will be starring Steve, as well as written and directed by Steve. They might let Phil hire and manage the extras on set, or maybe order the lunches. He might even get to be a credited producer, if Steve is in a good mood that day.

Steve will direct...he needs to direct.
post #32 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

I don't know if you can extrapolate market share trends for tablets from market share trends for smart phones...

...For several reasons:

1) models exist for all (both in the US) major carriers

2) cell capability is a "nice to have" as opposed to a "must have"

3) tethering mitigates the need for a carrier contract

4) WiFi satisfies most connection needs for a "computing" device

5) Likely, there will be less BOGO promotions

6) Tablets can be sold by an unlimited number of non-carrier-affiliated outlets


Much of the tablet use can be either : unconnected or WiFi-Connected.

As such, the tablet is not only the first post-pc device -- but it is a sans-carrier post-pc device.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #33 of 135
I just got an iPad 2 yesterday.
AND, I just got my looooooooooooooooooooooooong time PC user brother to buy a Macbook Air as well. Another one bites the dust!
I'm going to blow him away with the remote desktop app on the iPad while were at lunch one day...
post #34 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Gee, sort of like the way people use the word "awesome" to describe everything?
A new pair of socks...
Taking a good crap...
A TV show or pop song...
You name it, it's "awesome".

Steve Jobs does this too.
With him everything is "awesome" or "fantastic" unless it isn't, then it's ... "shit."

I guess this is where we are at culturally/collectively.
post #35 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't be fooled. Android will absolutely gain market share. With so many devices coming out, people will flock to them the same they flocked to handsets. People want choice and of course the people who love to heavily tinker will never get an iOS based product. Apple will lose ground and most likey not lead the tablet market in the very near future.

That doesn't change the fact that the iPad will continue to offer the best experience and best ecosystem. As for me, no tablets for me.

Everyone needs a phone.

But not everyone needs a tablet.

The market is not enough for "trial and error" products like early Android phones.
post #36 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple has ruined their product launches for me. I used to be excited about getting my hands on a new product. That began to end with the iPhone 4 launch when they delayed my shipment.

I ordered the iPad 2 the day after the release because I couldn't leave work to stand in line. Apple cancelled my order last week and refunded my money with no explanation. So basically I don't care anymore.

My boss' business contact at the Apple Store Willow Bend doesn't answer the phone or return calls. The "magic" is gone.

Do you want a napkin now? And, I am not thinking of the sanitary kind.

Your changed perspective would bring joy to the likes of Apple ][

CGC
post #37 of 135
Well if this story is true, it is good that Apple is expanding their distribution chain so there are more places people can get on a waiting list.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #38 of 135
These lines will be dwarfed by the lines for the Playbook.

OK maybe not . . . .
post #39 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Your changed perspective would bring joy to the likes of Apple ][

CGC

I am not sure as to what you are attempting to imply. Why would his changed perspective bring me any joy?

I am joyful because I got my iPad today, finally! Other people's perspectives do not give me any joy, one way or the other.
post #40 of 135
<delete>
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Continued lines for Apple's iPad 2 create 'shock and awe,' sales forecasts surge