or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 'Shock and Awe'

'Shock and Awe'

post #1 of 24
(Moderator edit: I moved this because it was starting to get out of hand in its original thread)

does anyone know what shock and awe mean? shock and awe is what the people in Japan who's families are dead and homes are destroyed are going through. Analysts who say they are in "shock and awe" at how well a gizmo is selling are a-holes.
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

does anyone know what shock and awe mean? shock and awe is what the people in Japan who's families are dead and homes are destroyed are going through. Analysts who say they are in "shock and awe" at how well a gizmo is selling are a-holes.

??? ???

"Shock and Awe" was the term that was used quite a bit in the intial Gulf war -- our military delivered such a military bombardment that it was called 'shock and awe.'
post #3 of 24
Quote:

Don't confuse the disaster in Japan as being less important simply because the world is a very large place and it is up to individuals, not countries, to determine what is important in their own lives. In other words, quit trolling and keep the clucking to yourself.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

??? ???

"Shock and Awe" was the term that was used quite a bit in the intial Gulf war -- our military delivered such a military bombardment that it was called 'shock and awe.'

ok, so the terms can be used to describe anyone witnessing death and destruction, natural or manmade. i agree.
post #5 of 24
Quote:

ok, so the terms can be used to describe anyone witnessing death and destruction, natural or manmade. i agree.

It certainly says a lot about today's society that people use such ridiculous, over-the-top superlatives to talk about even the 2nd Gulf war let alone trivial things like this, but ... you're basically tilting at windmills here.

It's just a stupid saying that's gained some currency in the USA lately.
post #6 of 24
Quote:

I agree as well... death and destruction to the competing tablets!
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #7 of 24
I like that term, "Shock and Awe". Apple is killing and slaughtering the competition! Take no prisoners! Kill them all, let god (or whoever) sort them out!

And I got my iPad2 today, the very last damn one in the entire store! So I'm slightly satisfied this morning.
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I like that term, "Shock and Awe". Apple is killing and slaughtering the competition! Take no prisoners! Kill them all, let god (or whoever) sort them out!

I dont get how desarc can know the definition but then not be able to see business as a battle. I think "shock and awe or rapid dominance easily work here.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont get how desarc can know the definition but then not be able to see business as a battle. I think "shock and awe or rapid dominance easily work here.

Business is definitely war. Apple is most certainly raping the competition! Oops, somebody might be offended by that too.
post #10 of 24
We all know about the devastation in Japan does that mean we are not allowed to get excited about something good that happens here? I donated money to the Red Cross and I did it on my iPad.
post #11 of 24
It's certainly a strange use here--inappropriate perhaps, but understood. Shock and awe, though coined earlier, was popularized during the first phase of the invasion of Iraq in 2003. It is a military doctrine akin to blitzkrieg, and probably does not need to be associated with the Japanese catastrophe any more than it does with the sales of the iPad 2--but that won't stop people from using it. It will be another phrase with a sinister origin that becomes used in all manner of ways, such as the "rule of thumb."
post #12 of 24
Quote:

Business is definitely war.

And WAR is definitely good business... \
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

??? ???

I would consider the phrase's use to be an outdated fad. A bit tasteless too, but I'm not going to get offended by it, it's just a groan-inducing phrase for me, the same kind of groan as you'd get from a dumb joke.

Quote:

I don’t get how desarc can know the definition but then not be able to see business as a battle. I think "shock and awe” or “rapid dominance” easily work here.

I thought business was a football game, be it American or the real kind. Damn metaphors.
post #14 of 24
Quote:

Clearly you forget who you're actually talking to. This is a country of consumers. And what happened overseas means nothing to the day to day running around of most people so long as they can still order their grande chai latte, email their coworkers, and well.....get their iPad 2. Yes it was tragic what happened, I feel for those people but life goes on. In short we don't care, you're more of the a-hole for thinking we should drop everything just to worry about what is going on in Japan.
post #15 of 24
Quote:

The next person who mentions Japan in a thread that has nothing at all to do with what happened there should be smacked upside the head. I've donated also, and I don't care for any whiners, whining about what other people should do or care about.

Sounds to me like you are whining
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

In short we don't care, you're more of the a-hole for thinking we should drop everything just to worry about what is going on in Japan.

so caring and trying to put things in perspective makes me an a-hole? got it!
fcuk-em. i'll go get a chai latte and read all of my "OMG todays Groupon is a DEAL" emails on my iPad2.
post #17 of 24
Quote:

fcuk-em. i'll go get a chai latte and read all of my "OMG todays Groupon is a DEAL" emails on my iPad2.

Your derailing the thread on the first post and your hostility really isn't helping your argument.

Anyone that wants to continue this argument on either side, please go to Political outsider.
post #18 of 24
Quote:

That's amazing, isn't it... 30 million iPad2s in 2011 and 40 million in 2012. Damn, I hope he's right... adding a buck to the eps just through iPad sales alone will give the share price momentum to go north. I wonder what this guy feels about iPhone sales.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachimal View Post

It's certainly a strange use here--inappropriate perhaps, but understood. Shock and awe, though coined earlier, was popularized during the first phase of the invasion of Iraq in 2003. It is a military doctrine akin to blitzkrieg, and probably does not need to be associated with the Japanese catastrophe any more than it does with the sales of the iPad 2--but that won't stop people from using it. It will be another phrase with a sinister origin that becomes used in all manner of ways, such as the "rule of thumb."

Agreed. The usage in this context seems forced and awkward at best. Actually, considering its sinister origin (and having actually been there at the time), I don't use it as a general rule. I don't use "rule of thumb" either because of its origin. But that's me.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #20 of 24
It's amusing how you guys think that you can't use profanity on AI (you can) but think it's OK to call each other names (you can't).

Examples:

"I fucking can't believe this shit." ===> OK

"You're a moron." ===> not OK
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

It's amusing how you guys think that you can't use profanity on AI (you can) but think it's OK to call each other names (you can't).

Examples:

"I fucking can't believe this shit." ===> OK

"You're a moron." ===> not OK

That's fuckin' great!
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Agreed. The usage in this context seems forced and awkward at best. Actually, considering its sinister origin (and having actually been there at the time), I don't use it as a general rule. I don't use "rule of thumb" either because of its origin. But that's me.

Sinister origin? What does shock and awe have to do with the left hand side?

(See what I did there?)
post #23 of 24
Quote:

Sinister origin? What does shock and awe have to do with the left hand side?

(See what I did there?)

Oh, snap!
post #24 of 24
Shock and Awe ... aka "Rapid Dominance" in Pentagon speak. Developed by Harlan Ullman and introduced into the US foreign policy set by a clutch of neocon-men (Armitage, Schulsky, Abrams, Kagan, Kristol, Adelman, et al) in other words, the PNAC'ers.

The sinister details can be found in this document here. (pdf, 77 pages).
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 'Shock and Awe'