or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dell, HP execs lash out at Apple's iOS successes

Dell, HP execs lash out at Apple's iOS successes - Page 2

post #41 of 233
I couldnt be happier that Apple has created a market and built up enthusiasm but longer term, open, capable and affordable will win, not closed, high price and proprietary, Lark said.

I know you are salivating about iOS. Go beg Steve Jobs to license iOS to Dell so that you can dump Android which caused you tons of griefs and embarassment with your Dell Streak.

Oh by the way, why not utilize your internal talents (if you have some left) and write an OS to rival iOS instead of hoping for a miracle using Android? You already know you can't win the game with Android on your device so just shut your mouth up.
post #42 of 233
i was thinking the same thing... hehe

This should read

Unlike [HP], [Apple] is very [customer] friendly. And if you have an issue with [Apple] you can pick up the phone and talk to someone[, or simply walk into an Apple Store]. That's something that's impossible with [HP]. As an [HP/Windows customer], I can say that it really feels like they're holding you hostage sometimes,"

The take away here is that no matter where these guys go everyone is using Apples products as the zenith product. They have no choice but to talk about Apple even if it means pooh-poohing them with strawman arguments.[/QUOTE]

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #43 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post

And who has a mouse hooked up to their iPad? And why?

What all these execs miss... Is that the iPod, iPad, and iPhone are gateway products for future mac users.

Nope they didn't miss it. Mr Dell wants you go get his tablet so it will be the gateway for you getting his computer. He doesn't want you to get an ipad because while you can use it just fine with that old Dell, when it comes time to replace it you might go Mac. Just like Apple wants

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #44 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

It does say they are going with a multi-OS strategy including Windows 7. Most windows apps are designed for keyboard + mouse.

The mouse will come in handy for using all those Flash websites not designed for touch input (if there are still any left by the time Dell releases anything).
post #45 of 233
How do these get thru a day? If I built plans that were as unrealistic as theirs, I could not sleep at night and would always be wondering when the whole think would collapse. These guys have yet to deliver at a level that will prove anything but they can find time to make stupid remarks.

I keep reading how all the varieties of Android - the class of the Open Systems - are out of sync with each other and how Android for tablets can't work on smartphones and how every two-bit vendor has its proprietary addons that pretty well make them Closed.

In the meantime, my iPhone 4 keeps on working nicely for both me and my 4 year old granddaughter and my iPad 1 should arrive tomorrow. Expecting the iPad 3 to include the steps up from the iPad 2 features I could live without for now.
post #46 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post

And who has a mouse hooked up to their iPad? And why?
Delusional is right!

Andy Lark pulled a Ballmer! (That is a legitimate expression by now, right?)

That's not a good sign when making up the price of a mouse as an accessory is an argument against your competitors touch-based tablet.
post #47 of 233

Reality 101:

It's what you do that counts -- not what you say!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #48 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

How do these get thru a day? If I built plans that were as unrealistic as theirs, I could not sleep at night and would always be wondering when the whole think would collapse. These guys have yet to deliver at a level that will prove anything but they can find time to make stupid remarks...

Therein lies the secret of succeeding in the corporate world. Do everything the opposite of common sense and you'll succeed for a long, long time and rake in the big bucks.

I just can't take it anymore, this corporate garbage. It permeates every level. Sure, Apple can be very corporate too and if you are a reseller the channel communication is convoluted at times.

But the products speak for themselves, at the end of the day. That's Apple's open secret. Product focused, not corporate focused.
post #49 of 233
Quote:
According to Lark, the high cost of additional accessories for the iPad makes the tablet inaccessible. An iPad with a keyboard, a mouse and a case [means] youll be at $1500 or $1600; thats double of what youre paying," he said. "Thats not feasible.

Does he live in Wally World?

How does a $699 64GB iPad 2 with a $39 smart cover, a $69 wireless keyboard, a $29 dock and $69 Magic Mouse add up to $1500 - $1600?

$876 before tax in the US.

Hell, I suppose we'll have to throw in a 24" monitor as well?
post #50 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorfl21 View Post

Dell was the reason I left the PC market ! Dell computers are the biggest piece of garbage you can buy not only are you replacing batteries every 5-6 mos the computer will take 20-30 mins to even find ur wifi. I think Dell is in a panic and are just bluffing their way through what they prob. Think is an apple phase till they realize people know Dell systems are junk and would rather spend the $ on something worth their while. I HATE DELL! I. Have been completely happy with my iPhone 4, iPad 2, MacBook and AppleTV!

Don't forget the MS part. They deserve to be hated too.

J.
post #51 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I'm in a rush, so I'll say one quick thing for now:

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

I will elaborate later.

If you don't hurry, all of the good jokes would have been taken already..

I'm going to poke more fun at Dell as soon as this..
post #52 of 233
Dell should just close up shop and give the money back to the investors.
post #53 of 233
The lost piece of irony is HP and Dell speaking of affordable tablets when they can't produce a product of Apple's quality below Apple's price points. They will meet that target by 20%-30%.

Sorry boys but this world is one your companies will never rule.
post #54 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyboredom View Post

Dell is absolutely laughable.

Agreed. And they're not very good at math either.

Dell still thinks the world wants Windows-based laptops with the keyboards ripped out. They think exactly like the PC maker they are: cobbling together the cheapest parts using the cheapest labor and selling it for the slimmest margins. They're going to be roadkill on the highway to the post-PC future.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #55 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumineux View Post

Dell should just close up shop and give the money back to the investors.

LOL. Oh irony! You know who famously said that about Steve Jobs and Apple in 1997, right?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #56 of 233
Paraphrased -- emphasis mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Lark, the high cost of additional accessories for the iPad makes the tablet inaccessible. An iPad with a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano [means] youll be at $328,429." he said. "Thats not feasible.

post #57 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. Oh irony! You know who famously said that about Steve Jobs and Apple in 1997, right?

Absolutely. That's why it's so fitting.
post #58 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The mouse will come in handy for using all those Flash websites not designed for touch input (if there are still any left by the time Dell releases anything).

This explains everything, no really I've never thought of that before..

To beat iPad is to add a killer feature: Flash support, to do this the 'cheapest' way is to sell their tablets with 'cheap' mice and other accessories (but not to exceed $1500-$1600, I'll say Dell will sell them for $1499.99 just to say theirs is cheaper than Apple's. LOL)
post #59 of 233
They just don't get it.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #60 of 233
Thanks for showing us how to make a tablet and it's operating system, and the entire system to support it, but you can run along now...
post #61 of 233
Quote:

McLaughlin checked with several Apple and HP channel partners to test DeWitt's claims. "Unlike Apple, HP is very channel friendly. And if you have an issue with HP you can pick up the phone and talk to someone. That's something that's impossible with Apple. As an Apple partner, I can say that it really feels like they're holding you hostage sometimes," said one source from a solution provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

This should read…

”Unlike [HP], [Apple] is very [customer] friendly. And if you have an issue with [Apple] you can pick up the phone and talk to someone[, or simply walk into an Apple Store]. That's something that's impossible with [HP]. As an [HP/Windows customer], I can say that it really feels like they're holding you hostage sometimes,"

Very clever.

Dell, and others, only care to see it through their perspective and their business partners, they don't really care of their own users, unlike Apple..
post #62 of 233
Quote:

"I couldn’t be happier that Apple has created a market and built up enthusiasm but longer term, open, capable and affordable will win, not closed, high price and proprietary,” Lark said.

OK

Quote:
“…Our strategy is multi-OS," Lark said. "We will do Windows 7 coupled with Android Honeycomb, and we’re really excited. We think that giving people that choice is very important.”

Um, so it's important to give people the choice of closed, high priced and proprietary? WTF?

Quote:
According to Lark, the high cost of additional accessories for the iPad makes the tablet inaccessible. “An iPad with a keyboard, a mouse and a case [means] you’ll be at $1500 or $1600; that’s double of what you’re paying," he said. "That’s not feasible.”

Yeah. Not feasible. In the sense of WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ON ABOUT???

Quote:
"Apple's relationship with partners is transactional, completely. Apple doesn’t have an inclusive philosophy of partner capabilities, and that's just absurd," DeWitt said in an interview with CRN's Kevin McLaughlin at HP's Americas Partner Conference in Las Vegas.

Good God, another CEO speaking in corporate tongues. I don't think any of these guys have given their customers a second thought in years. It's all about strategic partnerships and optimizing processes and leveraging assets. It's like listening to internal workings of a refrigerator.

What is it with the iPad and its ability to drive the leadership of the competition mad? Or stupid? Or mad stupid? RIM, Samsung, Dell, HP-- they've all just kind of taken to shouting out random bullshit, or muttering about Apple like Apple stole their lunch money. You'd think having the wherewithal to beg, borrow or steal a mobile OS after you got your ass handed to you in a market you totally botched was some kind of sign of righteous character, the way these assholes drone on about their totally not thrown together in a panic over the last year "plans."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #63 of 233
Wow. Thats a years worth of marketing corpo-speak for me. Pretty sad how utterly visionless the big box companies are.

Well, at least WebOS doesnt totally suck. HP has something on its hands, but I highly doubt they make inroads.
post #64 of 233
Funny, because the last time I had an issue with a piece of HP hardware, I couldn't even log a support issue, because it was more than 12 months old (so out of guarantee).

Good way to keep the support tickets down, but not a good way to find out what problems your customers are having with their kit.

(And I'm also aware that since acquiring one of our partners, they've taken over the contract, and reduced the number of staff - which again, is a good way to increase short term profit, at the cost of service to the end customer).

I do like WebOS, and I think they have the best rival offering (unlike their rivals, they're following Apple's strategy, rather than arguing that Apple's strategy is wrong by economic theory. Which somehow never applied for Microsoft or Google's dominance).
post #65 of 233
Dear HP/Dell/whoever,

Show me the money, guys!
post #66 of 233

In the simple words of my 11-year-old grandson:

Scheißen Poop!

post #67 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I agree with you.
When I am on call I bring a dell laptop home, it takes 5 min 11 secs to boot up, I know because I timed it on my iPhone stop watch. t takes only a couple of minutes less to turn it off.
My MBP takes about 40 secs and my G4 (about 10 years old) takes about 20 secs on average.
The dell is a plastic piece of SHIT, it is not even worth driving a huge truck over it.
Its disgusting, how any one can make, sell and buy this utter garbage is beyond me, but good luck to them. Don't complain later on with the shitty experience.

You are using a wrong device to time the stuff. You need the new dell tablet to time those things. The dell tablet will cut those times in half.
post #68 of 233

... In other news -- Dell and HP showcased their first offerings in the competitive post-pc tablet market:

The Dell Inquisitor:

... and the HP Seance -- with its innovative multi-user Planchette Pointer:

post #69 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Paraphrased -- emphasis mine:

Do you get the fiorano for free if you buy two iPad's ?

Just a asking.
post #70 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In the simple words of my 11-year-old grandson:

Scheißen Poop!

PS: you already have a grandson..?!?
post #71 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Do you get the fiorano for free if you buy two iPad's ?

Just a asking.

Unfortunately, for Andy Lark, you have to fork out money plenty enough to buy a fiorano to get an iPad. That's an iPad, not two. Bummer I know..

But hey, that terms only exist in his three dimensional distortion field.
post #72 of 233
Man oh man, how can these execs be so out to lunch?

Funny, but at the same time so sad.
post #73 of 233
Quote:

Andy Lark, Dell's global head of marketing, told Lisa Banks of CIO Australia on Tuesday that Apple's iPad will eventually succumb to Dell's Android- and Windows-based tablets because of pressure from an open enterprise market.

You should have used Australian prices. He's still off the mark though.

I have higher hopes for HP though - their product looks solid. Microsoft may also surprise everyone... next year.
post #74 of 233
Dell may last another few years, but that's because many of the buyers of their products are forced to think short-term for budgetary reasons. Flawed logic tells the average consumer that it's better to shell out $900 every 2 to 3 years for a Dell than to bite the bullet every five years and drop $1800 on a Mac, which is how long MacBooks tend to last. Parenthetically, my G4 finally died a few months shy of its 5th anniversary; during those five years, i think it was turned off for perhaps one month and I beat the living hell out of it; the aluminium was bent from the multiple times it had fallen, it had a pixel problem 3 years into the purchase and I'd lost of couple of keys along the way. I suspect that had I had a Dell, I'd have ended up replacing it annually, so the real cost for the "cheaper" Dell would have been $4500. And that's not to mention the down time that one has to deal with every time you have to reboot Windows.

Dell is dead; they're already losing market share and have one-tenth the market cap of Apple

But HP? You have to wonder about the ethics of a company that sells products designed to fail after you've bought more than 6 ink cartridges. I agree with the other posters who complained about the crap quality of their printers. I so wish that Apple would get back into the printer business, to reduce the waste and the number of lousy HP printers that end up in landfills. If Apple can (and did) design 3 blockbusters in 10 years, then they can design a quality printer made from recyclable material, using re-fillable cartridges.
post #75 of 233
How can someone at that level at Dell be so clueless? Either he is just lying and doesn't believe his own words, or he is an idiot.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #76 of 233
I believe Apple's marketing should send these two idiots a box of candies or something, as thanks for the tremendous amount of free publicity they just received
post #77 of 233
If at first you don't succeed, blame Apple!

It's Apple's fault these d*ps**t's are not getting anywhere--
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #78 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

How can someone at that level at Dell be so clueless? Either he is just lying and doesn't believe his own words, or he is an idiot.

Clearly the last.
post #79 of 233
look at this and we understand dell vision of the tablet http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-duo/pd Oh yeah, Andy Lark thinks that people love to do holding this 3.39 lbs (1.54Kg) and do touching. Hat off
post #80 of 233
No fair!!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dell, HP execs lash out at Apple's iOS successes