or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple may build its own external battery pack for recharging on the go
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple may build its own external battery pack for recharging on the go

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Apple has shown interest in integrating a rechargeable external battery pack into its standard charging cable, providing extra power for devices like a MacBook or iPhone when a power outlet isn't available.

The potential future accessory was revealed this week in a new patent application published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and uncovered by AppleInsider. The filing for "Power Adapter with Internal Battery" describes a wall charger with an integrated battery pack, allowing users to charge a device at home and give that device extra juice when on the go.

Apple's application acknowledges that rechargeable external battery accessories do already exist. However, it notes that such accessories are not as advantageous as one that might be integrated with a standard charging cable.

"Such external batteries are generally cumbersome to use, at least because they must be unpacked for use and then repacked for storage," Apple's filing states of current options available on the market. "In addition, many users forget to bring the external battery in addition to the adapter while in transit.

"What is needed is a way to combine a power adapter and a battery so that a user does not have to carry an additional battery while traveling with a portable electronic device."

Apple's solution would include a "smart" charger with an integrated processor. This would allow the charger to intelligently determine how to distribute charge between the integrated adapter battery, and the battery on a device like a MacBook.

The hardware would also include the ability to share the status of the battery with the device it is charging. This way, users would be able to check the status of the external adapter battery and how much power it has left.

Such a device could be augmented by a "trickle source" for power, such as solar. And it could also include a USB port for charging a device like an iPhone or iPod. The accessory could also include a wireless adapter, allowing a MacBook or other device to access the power adapter even when it is not physically connected.



Apple's application also notes that its external battery solution could employ current power adapter features, such as its patented MagSafe connector.

The use of MagSafe connectors became an issue for a third-party external battery manufacturer last year, when Apple sued the maker of "HyperMac" accessories. Sanho Corporation was accused by Apple of infringing on MagSafe-related patents for products like its MBP-PRO, MBP-AIR and MBP-CAR chargers with magnetic power connectors.

Instead of mimicking Apple's patented MagSafe connectors, Sanho's products actually relied on recycled official MagSafe hardware made by Apple. The lawsuit eventually forced HyperMac to cease the sale of chargers with MagSafe hardware. Sanho also negotiated with Apple and rebranded its products HyperJuice.

But the need for such third-party external battery makers could be significantly lessened if Apple were to follow through on its pursuit of power adapters with integrated rechargeable batteries. Apple first filed the patent application made public this week in September of 2009, and the proposed invention is credited to Duncan Kerr, David Robbins Falkenburg and Michael Nugent.
post #2 of 41
of course they are....

when they release the 4G iPhone, the battery life is gonna suck...
post #3 of 41
Apple patents literally thousands of things without making them, I'm not putting much hope into this until at least some leaked prototypes show up.
post #4 of 41
Having a solar cell under the LCD of iDevice would be a much nicer solution. Especially for iPad, a large solar cell under that large screen can probably extend the battery life indefinitely for a light user.
post #5 of 41
It's a good idea, but I did have to laugh a little about one of the purposes cited, "Such external batteries are generally cumbersome to use, at least because they must be unpacked for use and then repacked for storage," Harder than getting out your power adaptor? Harder than lugging around the extra weight of the batter everytime you carry your power adaptor even when you don't need the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Apple patents literally thousands of things without making them, I'm not putting much hope into this until at least some leaked prototypes show up.

Which also means someone else who would be willing to make such a device can't. Even if it's for a non-Apple device. This makes Apple different than the patent holding companies we complain how, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Having a solar cell under the LCD of iDevice would be a much nicer solution. Especially for iPad, a large solar cell under that large screen can probably extend the battery life indefinitely for a light user.

Oh sure, just use the LCDs backlight to illuminate the solar cell to recharge the batter to run the backlight. An infinite loop of energy for the device!

But in all seriousness...just how do you expect that to work? Put the solar cells in front of the backlight and you have no backlight. But it behind the backlight and the light getting to the solar cells would be blocked entirely, either by the LED backlight of the LCD crystals themselves (when displaying a dark image). Or at a minimum their illuminated surface area would be so small that it would generate negligable current. And let's not forget how little % of the time the device would get enough light to be useful even if you had a fully exposed solar cell.

Depending on how densely packed the LED backlight elements are, could you make a hybrid solar cell/LED panel? Maybe. But it would likely be very inefficient, not as good of a backlight, and any LCD pixel that is other than "white" would block the light anyway.

Edit: The idea would perhaps work for something like a calculator, watch, or the older iPods, which have "old school" LCD displays; but even then, aren't solar cells dark in color? How would you see the LCD elements against a dark background?
post #6 of 41
"Wireless control" - so on both the device and the battery?
post #7 of 41
Wouldn't a replaceable battery fit the bill just as well?
post #8 of 41
as near as I can tell the InCase Snap Battery case has a built-in 30 pin dock connector on the bottom that does not require the case to be removed from the phone to use with most any existing dock device and or cable provided the extra width of the case fits into the dock of course.
post #9 of 41
How would this jive with the Liquidmetal fuel cell battery patent?
post #10 of 41
Would the battery literally be in the cable? Or would it be in the little block thing that the two cables plug into?
post #11 of 41
I got the ip4 mainly bc of the 40% increase in batt. life over the 3Gs. I can see the diff. With the 3Gs I bought a Mophie battery that was built into the case. I really liked it especially when was flying or out all day. It did add bulk to the phone and didn't attach it every day for that reason. It was a white 3Gs and the batt. case was white. My brother in law said it looked like something a star wars trooper would carry. I never really liked it after that.

The Mophies for the ip4 look slimmer. But I'm reluctant to buy accessories bc Apple changes so much and I always sell my old one and the latest model.

Oh well.

Best
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Apple patents literally thousands of things without making them, I'm not putting much hope into this until at least some leaked prototypes show up.

Another energy creating prototype was spotted in the wild recently.





post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post

Wouldn't a replaceable battery fit the bill just as well?

Of course not. That would make too much sense. So, instead, let's patent putting a battery on a power charger.

As if that is new, novel, non-obvious in any way shape or form that deserves a patent.

edit: Oh and btw, the battery in that unit would also be not user replaceable - it would look tasteless with all those seems.
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post

Wouldn't a replaceable battery fit the bill just as well?

No it won't.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi
Wouldn't a replaceable battery fit the bill just as well?

Of course not. That would make too much sense. So, instead, let's patent putting a battery on a power charger.

As if that is new, novel, non-obvious in any way shape or form that deserves a patent.

Where is the +1 button?
post #16 of 41
Quote:
But the need for such third-party external battery makers could be significantly lessened if Apple were to follow through on its pursuit of power adapters with integrated rechargeable batteries.

It'd be more accurate to say that Apple's refusal to license MagSafe to companies that make the sorts of power products that Apple doesn't make would be less irritating if Apple actually made similar products. But we shouldn't forget that in this case that Apple product is something that's overly complex and expensive, particularly for on-the-go travelers.

In my case, all I want is a little $10 MagSafe adapter that'd let me use my two iGo power supplies with my MacBook rather than hassle with swapping my one Apple-built supply. iGo has already engineered the adapter. All they need is Steve Jobs signature on a sheet of paper.

There's perhaps no better illustration of how the mindset at Apple differs from the rest of the industry than this. Every other laptop maker has no problem with permitting iGo adapters for their products. Only Apple has this bizarre obsession with control.
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Of course not. That would make too much sense. So, instead, let's patent putting a battery on a power charger.

As if that is new, novel, non-obvious in any way shape or form that deserves a patent.

edit: Oh and btw, the battery in that unit would also be not user replaceable - it would look tasteless with all those seems.

Apple's propensity for patent applications that are obvious and often cover product already on the market is bothersome... Not unusual thoughts many companies do the semester and I find it bothersome as well.

Zagg Spark? Awesome battery plugs into wall directly... NuPower makes one too...
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post

Wouldn't a replaceable battery fit the bill just as well?

Well, if you believe Apple's explanation, and there is no reason not to, a replaceable battery would not be able to have the same capacity as a non-replaceable battery because of the extra room used inside the computer for the battery compartment, latches, connectors, etc. So by using a non-replaceable battery, Apple can include a larger capacity battery for your laptop.

So which would you rather have? A smaller, replaceable battery you have to swap out more frequently because it has a smaller capacity? Or a larger built-in battery which greatly reduces the need to have a spare battery in the first place?

Given that the vast majority of laptop users didn't buy spare batteries in the first place, it seems Apple has made the right choice. What other full-sized laptop maker can claim 7-10 hours of use on a single charge? That's already two batteries worth of charge for most other laptops.
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Having a solar cell under the LCD of iDevice would be a much nicer solution. Especially for iPad, a large solar cell under that large screen can probably extend the battery life indefinitely for a light user.

Do you have an example of this in the real world? From everything I’ve read on solar chargers they need a much larger area than the iPhone can still take a very, very, very long time to charge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post

Wouldn't a replaceable battery fit the bill just as well?

Try using both and you’ll see that isn’t the case.

Rigamarole for user replaceable battery:
  1. Use phone until battery is nearly dead.
  2. Stop what you’re doing.
  3. Remove battery cover.
  4. Remove battery
  5. Get new battery in pocket/bag.
  6. Insert new battery
  7. Restart phone.
  8. …wait for it to boot up.
  9. Use battery.

But that’s only one-half of the problem. The other half is charging these batteries up.
  1. Plug in charger.
  2. Wait for phone to charge (set alarm for 2 hours if you need to wake up in middle of night because you have some trip in the AM).
  3. Remove cover.
  4. Remove battery.
  5. Find other battery (hopefully you planned this out).
  6. Insert other battery.
  7. Replace cover.
  8. Repeat for each battery you have.

It’s a huge pain in the ass unless you have a separate device that will charge multiple batteries at once, but even then you are still dealing with another charger that is usually weighty and making your cellphone battery door always in action so be prepared to keep some tape on hand for when the cheap plastic wears down and the door doesn’t want to stay on any longer. I hear Verizon has nifty tape with their logo on it specifically for that reason.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

It'd be more accurate to say that Apple's refusal to license MagSafe to companies that make the sorts of power products that Apple doesn't make would be less irritating if Apple actually made similar products. But we shouldn't forget that in this case that Apple product is something that's overly complex and expensive, particularly for on-the-go travelers.

That would be nice. I used to have 2 extra batteries (total of 3) for my Mac notebook . It was a complete pain for charging but it was helpful in my travels where I wasn’t near a decent power source for a week or more.

I’d also like Apple to offer a cigaretter lighter option. This might have to be a trickle charger that can’t be used while in use (except maybe for the MBAs), but it would be something for the car. Converting the car’s DC to AC for the plug and PSU it comes with just to be converted back to DC is inefficient for such a short range. The last time I looked their airplane plug could not be converted to work with a car.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


Rigamarole for user replaceable battery:
  1. Use phone until battery is nearly dead.
  2. Stop what youre doing.
  3. Remove battery cover.
  4. Remove battery
  5. Get new battery in pocket/bag.
  6. Insert new battery
  7. Restart phone.
  8. wait for it to boot up.
  9. Use battery.

What I am learning is that simple things can be made to look complicated and cumbursome by breaking them down into smaller and smaller steps.

You did forget to put the battery cover back on though.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Try using both and you’ll see that isn’t the case.

Rigamarole for user replaceable battery:
  1. Use phone until battery is nearly dead.
  2. Stop what you’re doing.
  3. Remove battery cover.
  4. Remove battery
  5. Get new battery in pocket/bag.
  6. Insert new battery
  7. Restart phone.
  8. …wait for it to boot up.
  9. Use battery.

But that’s only one-half of the problem. The other half is charging these batteries up.
  1. Plug in charger.
  2. Wait for phone to charge (set alarm for 2 hours if you need to wake up in middle of night because you have some trip in the AM).
  3. Remove cover.
  4. Remove battery.
  5. Find other battery (hopefully you planned this out).
  6. Insert other battery.
  7. Replace cover.
  8. Repeat for each battery you have.

It’s a huge pain in the ass..

How about
  1. Turn phone off
  2. Replace battery with another.
  3. Turn on

And for list two, a simple $3 battery charger for your phone that accepts USB power works.

Laptops are a different story.
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

How about
  • Turn phone off
  • Replace battery with another.
  • Turn on

You mean:
  • Turn phone off
  • Replace decharged battery with charged battery.
  • Turn on
  • Turn phone off
  • Replace decharged battery with charged battery.
  • Turn on
  • Turn phone off
  • Charge battery
  • Replace charged battery with decharged battery.
  • Turn on
  • Charge battery


Once for each charged battery for use, and once for each uncharged battery that you charge each night.

-or-

Battery extender case that will charge both batteries at the same time with absolutely no removal needed.

If you are going to buy additional batteries — and lets face it, most people have had absolutely no need for them over their many years of cellphone usage —*there are better options than complaining that Apple shockingly¡ doesn’t offer a removal battery case.

Quote:
And for list two, a simple $3 battery charger for your phone that accepts USB power works.

I have no idea what this is suppose to mean because phones are sold with chargers, and I can’t think of a single decent phone that isn’t sold without a USB charger, not to mention that it still ignores your batteries having to play musical chairs to charge. Hey, if you want to do that every day for 2 years go right ahead, but I’d rather have one device that I can charge with one cable, once in awhile.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You mean:
  • Turn phone off
  • Replace decharged battery with charged battery.
  • Turn on
  • Turn phone off
  • Replace decharged battery with charged battery.
  • Turn on
  • Turn phone off
  • Charge battery
  • Replace charged battery with decharged battery.
  • Turn on
  • Charge battery


Once for each charged battery for use, and once for each uncharged battery that you charge each night.

-or-

Battery extender case that will charge both batteries at the same time with absolutely no removal needed.

If you are going to buy additional batteries and lets face it, most people have had absolutely no need for them over their many years of cellphone usage *there are better options than complaining that Apple shockingly¡ doesnt offer a removal battery case.


I have no idea what this is suppose to mean because phones are sold with chargers, and I cant think of a single decent phone that isnt sold without a USB charger, not to mention that it still ignores your batteries having to play musical chairs to charge. Hey, if you want to do that every day for 2 years go right ahead, but Id rather have one device that I can charge with one cable, once in awhile.

Battery extenders are not an apple invention nor an apple exclusive.

And in my list I have two batteries.

I'm not talking about a usb charger, I'm talking about a simple $3 battery charger cradle that gets its input via USB to charge said spare battery.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Once for each charged battery for use, and once for each uncharged battery that you charge each night.

You are somehow proceeding with the assumption that users with a phone with a replaceable battery cannot make it through the day on one battery. This is not the case.

Extra batteries and/or battery packs are for those special cases when you do need extra power.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Battery extenders are not an apple invention nor an apple exclusive.

Delusional as always. Exactly where did anyone in this thread say that such a thing? In fact, youll find comments about Mophie, a company that isnt Apple (hint: you can tell because Apple isnt spelled Mophie).


Quote:
And in my list I have two batteries. .

And your list ignores any charging of the batteries, but its not surprising youve failed to see the big picture. Your list gives the indication that your batteries are magically charged without any interaction by you. Good luck with that!

Quote:
I'm not talking about a usb charger, I'm talking about a simple $3 battery charger cradle that gets its input via USB to charge said spare battery.

Youre not talking about a USB charger despite clearly stating "via USB to charge. So its a USB charger that doesnt charge via USB? No wonder it costs $3.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

You are somehow proceeding with the assumption that users with a phone with a replaceable battery cannot make it through the day on one battery. This is not the case.

With the iPhone users are more likely to get through a day, but this isn’t the case with every single Android user I know. They’ve all come to me to figure out how to get a longer duration from their phone. Even after rooting and disabling pointless services they still tend to use a lot more in idle than the iPhone 4, which is absolutely great with battery life.


Quote:
Extra batteries and/or battery packs are for those special cases when you do need extra power.

Fucking brilliant¡ Who would have thought that extra batteries are for needing extra power?¡ :roll eyes:

Look, if you want a phone with a user-replaceable battery then the iPhone isn’t for you. Stop bitching about it! There are thousands of choices for you to pick from if you think that having some extra battery in your pocket makes you feel comfortable. You’re wrong to think that the world walks around with extra batteries in their pockets all day.


edit: If Apple doesn’t build it’s own external battery pack the rumors will start that Apple doesn’t make a user replaceable battery so they can make a profit on their Apple branded battery pack, despite the fact there have been 2 iPads, 4 iPhones, and dozens of iPod designs going back to 2001 that have never once had a user-replaceable battery.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With the iPhone users are more likely to get through a day, but this isnt the case with every single Android user I know. Theyve all come to me to figure out how to get a longer duration from their phone. Even after rooting and disabling pointless services they still tend to use a lot more in idle than the iPhone 4, which is absolutely great with battery life.



Fucking brilliant¡ Who would have thought that extra batteries are for needing extra power?¡ :roll eyes:

Look, if you want a phone with a user-replaceable battery then the iPhone isnt for you. Stop bitching about it! There are thousands of choices for you to pick from if you think that having some extra battery in your pocket makes you feel comfortable. Youre wrong to think that the world walks around with extra batteries in their pockets all day.

nice post


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Fucking brilliant¡ Who would have thought that extra batteries are for needing extra power?¡ :roll eyes:

Which is not all day, every day like you are implying.
post #29 of 41
I'm sorry folks but I just cant see this as being patentable. Industry has been adding batteries to power supplies and computers for years, there is nothing new here.

Now that doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't apply its engineering skills to such a product. For example a battery backup unit with an integrated solar panel would be desirable. Ideally a device that rolls or folds up in to a reasonably compact package. Give it the outside dimensions (when folded up) of an iPad and we are good to go.

Oh and make it flexible enough that it can charge Apple products, like notebooks and cell phones, but also support standard USB charging profiles. Such a device needs to be flexible enough to solve all of my backup needs.
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

as near as I can tell the InCase Snap Battery case has a built-in 30 pin dock connector on the bottom that does not require the case to be removed from the phone to use with most any existing dock device and or cable provided the extra width of the case fits into the dock of course.

yeah, that's actually a pretty good case.
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Which is not all day, every day like you are implying.

So now your argument has shifted from “It’s not a big deal to switch out batteries for usage and charging” to “it’s not a big deal because you only go through that crap on the days you need it”?

So tell me, oh wise one, wy not just have an external battery pack that will charge your phone without taking it apart and do it without having to turn your phone off. It can be in your pocket, in your bag, or in your hand as it quickly charges and you’ll never have to miss a call or stop using the phone to recharge it. You can get small one or ones that will recharges your phone many, many times over between charges. This is what the sensible people are using instead of fiddling with extra internal batteries.

Me, since I always have my MBP with me when i travel I can just charge from my 63.5 Wh battery to charge my phone multiple times over. But that’s a solution that suits my usage needs (though it hasn’t been necessary with the iPhone 4). Note that I’m not saying that all users should get a MBP to charge their phones or that Apple should supply MBP to all iPhones because I don’t think my particular wishes should be met by an international company simply because I find it useful or, in your case, because you think Apple should do it that way because some other vendor does it that way. hey,but if acting entitled makes you feel better about yourself then keep on bitching.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Delusional as always. Exactly where did anyone in this thread say that such a thing? In fact, you’ll find comments about Mophie, a company that isn’t Apple (hint: you can tell because Apple isn’t spelled Mophie).

I guess apple and their fucking patent application, dumb ass.


Quote:
And your list ignores any charging of the batteries, but it’s not surprising you’ve failed to see the big picture. Your list gives the indication that your batteries are magically charged without any interaction by you. Good luck with that!

I know! It's so fucking hard to charge batteries for you that you have to spell it out!

Don't forget to take the phone out of the pocket either!

Quote:
You’re not talking about a USB charger despite clearly stating "via USB to charge”. So it’s a USB charger that doesn’t charge via USB? No wonder it costs $3.

Don't play stupid with me. You've been good up until last week. Now it seems you joined everyone else in their intelligence level.
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So now your argument has shifted from Its not a big deal to switch out batteries for usage and charging to its a big deal because you only go through that crap on the days you need it?

Uh.. no.

I am saying that for me, changing a battery has never been a problem and that you are making it a bigger deal than it is.
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I guess apple and their fucking patent application, dumb ass

You might want to cut out your personal attacks before its too late. Then again, if you dont mind switching batteries instead of simpler, more elegant solutions then Im sure you dont mind making new aliases over and over and over again.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You might want to cut out your personal attacks before it’s too late. Then again, if you don’t mind switching batteries instead of simpler, more elegant solutions then I’m sure you don’t mind making new aliases over and over and over again.

You first.

Quote:
Delusional as always.

And make a new handle? Sorry, not that desperate. And FYI, I already got an infraction for calling someone a "nerd" here, so it wouldn't surprise me.
post #36 of 41
I've had experience of both the removable and non removable sides of the argument.

The iPhone 3GS is the first non-removable phone I've owned. It superseded a HTC TyTn II which I got fed up with.

It was annoying with the TyTn II having to slip the cover off, replace the battery, switch on and then call or go back to what you were doing when the battery ran out.
There was also the extra rigmarole of the desktop charger for the second battery.

However the key advantage of an external battery pack for the iPhone is that you can carry on using the device whilst it's charging.

Another advantage is that an external battery pack can be used for any present or future device, not just an iPhone, unlike a second battery specific to a particular model of phone.
post #37 of 41
Sure--I’d like a small battery in the charger. Plus a very tiny battery in each end of the charging cable. Plus one in each earbud. And in the mic pod. And one or two in the bumper case. It all adds up!
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Another advantage is that an external battery pack can be used for any present or future device, not just an iPhone, unlike a second battery specific to a particular model of phone.

Nice! I forgot about that one. I imagine Apple will have to switch up their 30-pin connector at some point but its been a decade with iPods, iPhones and now iPads using it so people hat complain about that proprietary need to take a long, hard look at the connectors on cellphone batteries.

I wonder if they will wait for a proper optical+power transfer option before changing up the 30-pin connector or can optical be integrated into the un-used FireWire pins for extending that usage?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 41
OMG, that is some funny stuff people!

+2 for you!

-LanPhantom
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nice! I forgot about that one. I imagine Apple will have to switch up their 30-pin connector at some point but its been a decade with iPods, iPhones and now iPads using it so people hat complain about that proprietary need to take a long, hard look at the connectors on cellphone batteries.

I wonder if they will wait for a proper optical+power transfer option before changing up the 30-pin connector or can optical be integrated into the un-used FireWire pins for extending that usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Delusional as always. Exactly where did anyone in this thread say that such a thing? In fact, youll find comments about Mophie, a company that isnt Apple (hint: you can tell because Apple isnt spelled Mophie).



And your list ignores any charging of the batteries, but its not surprising youve failed to see the big picture. Your list gives the indication that your batteries are magically charged without any interaction by you. Good luck with that!


Youre not talking about a USB charger despite clearly stating "via USB to charge. So its a USB charger that doesnt charge via USB? No wonder it costs $3.

Nice post. That made my night!

-LanPhantom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple may build its own external battery pack for recharging on the go