or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.7 Lion sets, finds, corrects insecure folder permissions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion sets, finds, corrects insecure folder permissions

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion makes system wide changes to standard folder ownership and permissions to enhance security, finding and recommending changes where necessary.

Apple reportedly informed developers that a number of folders in the System and Local file system domains would be changing their default permissions in Lion. This includes many system and Library folders moving from 775 (writable by the admin group) to 755 (writable only by root). This change prevents modification of core system files without authenticating as the root user.

The only remaining local Library folders that will support admin group writing include Caches, Fonts, Java, QuickTimeStreaming, Receipts and Tomcat; all others require root access to modify.

A developer reports to AppleInsider that this changes the required permissions on installed printer queues, but that the system handles this by simply noting after installation that a correction is needed. Once the user approves of the change, the system adjusts the permissions as it records the issue in the CUPS error log (below).



Another Mac OS X Lion, feature related to Auto Save (described earlier in our report on Auto Save, Versions and Time Machine), is also getting a new setting in System Preferences.

Under the Appearance pane, a new option to lock Auto Save documents after a specific time interval has been added in Lion DP2. The previous setting was to default at two weeks, with no option to turn the lock feature off.

post #2 of 29
What do autosaving and locking of documents have to do with appearance?
post #3 of 29
Speaking of locking.

1) I hope they allow you to remove LaunchPad from the Dock before this goes GM.

2) I really think the Sidebar in Finder and items in the Dock need to have a locking feature. I know too many novice users who remove items accidentally and don’t know how to add them back.



PS: For those with erroneous or unwanted items in Launchpad, holding down Control+Option+Command and then clicking the item will cause it to disappear. You can also edit or delete the SQL DB in ~/Library/Application Support/Dock if you are looking for some deeper understanding of Launchpad.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

What do autosaving and locking of documents have to do with appearance?

Nothing. I've always wandered why Translucent menu bar wasn't in Appearances.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


---

PS: For those with erroneous or unwanted items in Launchpad, holding down Control+Option+Command and then clicking the item will cause it to disappear. You can also edit or delete the SQL DB in ~/Library/Application Support/Dock if you are looking for some deeper understanding of Launchpad.

Good Lord! The user-friendly version is a 3 key combination plus the mouse.

This is no way to make a user interface. I wish Apple would wake up to this.

The iPhone is immaculate but OSX is a mess.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Good Lord! The user-friendly version is a 3 key combination plus the mouse.

This is no way to make a user interface. I wish Apple would wake up to this.

The iPhone is immaculate but OSX is a mess.

It certainly not a common combination, but it’s one that would not be oft used, which is why I expect Apple did it that way. Once you press those buttons you can click on Launchpad apps to delete them as quick as you wish.

What i mean by “Apple did it that way” is, once you’ve deleted an app from Launchpad there is no way to get it back unless you delete the DB and the Killall Dock from Terminal or logout/in. It’s suppose to be simple like iOS and without any complex menu items, hence the 3 button maneuver for any incorrect app icons. At least, that’s how I see it.

I didn’t even think there was a method for this until I did some googling and found some savvy users who had discovered it.

That said, I have no use for it and would a like a permanent way to remove it from the Dock. I keep apps in the Dock, in the Menu Bar or search them within a couple letters using Spotlight. I don’t need a touch-based OS setup for a desktop OS. I’m still on the fence as to whether this is viable for more novice users coming from iOS to Mac OS.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 29
I don't see much need to delete an App from Launchpad. Worst case, just make a folder for "Unwanted Apps" and stuff all those in there.

Edit: That being said, there should be an easy way to delete them. Especially since the UI paradigm has already been defined in iOS.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

What do autosaving and locking of documents have to do with appearance?

Nothing. Shameful how poorly Apple is at keeping their core "everyday" apps updated. I wish feature updates would come to Finder, Mail, Address Book, System Preferences and so on more frequently.

Maybe it's an accounting issue? They can't provide new features into a product that has already "shipped"?
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I don't see much need to delete an App from Launchpad. Worst case, just make a folder for "Unwanted Apps" and stuff all those in there.

Edit: That being said, there should be an easy way to delete them. Especially since the UI paradigm has already been defined in iOS.

Id argue that it is an easy way to delete them, just not an obvious way. It is currently impossible to re-add them without deleting the entire DB, which gets rid of the user organization of the apps.

That said, I would not mind a method that is similar to iOS that causes them to shake and shimmy to let you know you can delete them, simply to keep a consistency across both base platforms.

Having said that, I dont think its necessary and will hinder Apple and users if they try to mirror one OS to the other for no other reason than its familiar. Just check out Windows Mobile for a great example of those pitfalls.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

What do autosaving and locking of documents have to do with appearance?

Probably just stuck it in there to put it somewhere for the time being. As a developer, I often just stick things were they don't make any sense but in plane view, so I can sympathize.

I doubt it will be left there, and if it is, that's awkward. I could see it being put somewhere under the Time Machine section, instead, though.
post #11 of 29
"Show scroll bars: Automatically based on input device"

What if you have both a trackpad and a mouse?
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

What do autosaving and locking of documents have to do with appearance?

My question as well! I would never have found this without AI's article.
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: For those with erroneous or unwanted items in Launchpad, holding down Control+Option+Command and then clicking the item will cause it to disappear. You can also edit or delete the SQL DB in ~/Library/Application Support/Dock if you are looking for some deeper understanding of Launchpad.

Soli, your keen observations and tips like the above are one of the main reasons I like AI.

Thanks!
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Nothing. Shameful how poorly Apple is at keeping their core "everyday" apps updated. I wish feature updates would come to Finder, Mail, Address Book, System Preferences and so on more frequently.

Maybe it's an accounting issue? They can't provide new features into a product that has already "shipped"?

They barely change the apps between major releases, I don't know what would come between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Id argue that it is an easy way to delete them, just not an obvious way. It is currently impossible to re-add them without deleting the entire DB, which gets rid of the user organization of the apps.

Why is it impossible to re-add an app? Is it not done yet or was there a decision to make it that way?
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Another Mac OS X Lion, feature related to Auto Save (described earlier in our report on Auto Save, Versions and Time Machine), is also getting a new setting in System Preferences.

Under the Appearance pane, a new option to lock Auto Save documents after a specific time interval has been added in Lion DP2. The previous setting was to default at two weeks, with no option to turn the lock feature off.


Hmm...I think I'd like it if there were two "open" methods: 1. View (read only) 2. Edit; after the locking period is up. This could be in the context-sensative menu where Open & Open With... are now.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...I would not mind a method that is similar to iOS that causes them to shake and shimmy to let you know you can delete them, simply to keep a consistency across both base platforms.

Just click on an App and hold to rearrange or delete Apps. Same way it's done on iOS.

(edit) sorry, I'm mistaken. This method only works to rearrange Apps, not to delete them.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Soli, your keen observations and tips like the above are one of the main reasons I like AI.

Thanks!

No problem, it’s the quality of most contributors that keep me coming back to AI above all other tech forums. I’m glad I can add something every now and then.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why is it impossible to re-add an app? Is it not done yet or was there a decision to make it that way?

To clarify, I mean that’s impossible from within Launchpad. I’d bet that it’s going the way this interface works since there is a service that will add any new apps to the end of the list when added either to the system-wide Applications folder or to the new Applications folder under the user’s folder. There seems to be no special placement In Launchpad for one or the other.

The oddity I’m seeing is that while this service will had new apps to Launchpad within a few seconds of being put in the Applications folder, it will not remove them from Launchpad within a few seconds of removing it from the Applicatons folder… or ever. If we assume this is by design, it may be because it then affords you the opportunity to have an app elsewhere in your system but still get fast access via Launchpad as the relative link follows the app’s location.

If you click on a now deleted app —*not simply a moved app —*you’ll get a question mark over it. Killing Finder, Dock or logging out/in does not resolve this issue. I think it may be nice that they would make a more intuitive system. Perhaps an ‘x’ in the corner of the icon to delete the app that is not found or let you drag it to the Trash.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

What do autosaving and locking of documents have to do with appearance?

I'm wondering this, too. Frankly, it seems almost like it should be under Security settings.
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It certainly not a common combination, but it’s one that would not be oft used, which is why I expect Apple did it that way. Once you press those buttons you can click on Launchpad apps to delete them as quick as you wish.

What i mean by “Apple did it that way” is, once you’ve deleted an app from Launchpad there is no way to get it back unless you delete the DB and the Killall Dock from Terminal or logout/in. It’s suppose to be simple like iOS and without any complex menu items, hence the 3 button maneuver for any incorrect app icons. At least, that’s how I see it.

I didn’t even think there was a method for this until I did some googling and found some savvy users who had discovered it.

That said, I have no use for it and would a like a permanent way to remove it from the Dock. I keep apps in the Dock, in the Menu Bar or search them within a couple letters using Spotlight. I don’t need a touch-based OS setup for a desktop OS. I’m still on the fence as to whether this is viable for more novice users coming from iOS to Mac OS.

In DP2, you can remove the Launchpad icon from the Dock.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

"Show scroll bars: Automatically based on input device"

What if you have both a trackpad and a mouse?

The universe will collapse on itself. That or it'll just show the scroll bars.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

In DP2, you can remove the Launchpad icon from the Dock.

Sweet. My Lion Beta 2 DL borked. Probably from all the starts and stops I did, though some were from kernel panics. Ill try to get a fresh install working tomorrow.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Good Lord! The user-friendly version is a 3 key combination plus the mouse.

This is no way to make a user interface. I wish Apple would wake up to this.

The iPhone is immaculate but OSX is a mess.

To be fair, while I agree a three-key-modifier plus mouse click is not really what most people would consider 'obvious', the cmd-ctrl-option combination isn't actually that weird or inconsistent if you look at other applications. Many applications use the cmd-ctrl-option modifier to remove or clear items, such as XCode (cmd-ctrl-option-R anyone? ).

What I don't get is why it couldn't work just as in the iPhone simulator: by double clicking an item but holding the second click instead of releasing it, to get the 'wobbly icons' (ie: just like on a real device except with the mouse instead of your finger). I didn't try any of the Lion previews yet, maybe that also works for removing items from launchpad?
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of locking.
...
2) I really think the Sidebar in Finder and items in the Dock need to have a locking feature. I know too many novice users who remove items accidentally and dont know how to add them back.
..


10.6.7 seems to have started requiring CMD be held down while dragging items out of sidebar.

1 down, 1 to go.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of locking.

1) I hope they allow you to remove LaunchPad from the Dock before this goes GM.

It's removable in DP2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: For those with erroneous or unwanted items in Launchpad, holding down Control+Option+Command and then clicking the item will cause it to disappear.

Holding down Option is enough in some cases. Which means that it's the same as in Dashboard.

But only in some cases. The Lion Installer app show an X when holding down the Option key, but my LogMeIn Uninstaller required Control+Option+Command+Clicking - no X was shown. Default Mac OS X apps can't be removed.

I think it's still a work in progress.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #25 of 29
I'm glad they're changing this. It's long overdue
post #26 of 29
Can we just admit Aqua isn't Aqua anymore? Seems kinda redundant to keep calling it that at this point.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Can we just admit Aqua isn't Aqua anymore? Seems kinda redundant to keep calling it that at this point.

Yeah, now that the scroll-bars will change, literally the only thing left in OS X that's still at least a little bit reminiscent of Aqua is the blue buttons. Not saying that's a bad thing by the way, I never really liked how Aqua looked like someone spilled blue jelly beans over your desktop.
post #28 of 29
I don't care what amazing features they put in - of which we'll have to wait until 10.7.8 for them all to work properly anyway - if there's no option to un-cutesify their applications (ie. Calendar) then I won't be upgrading.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraden View Post

Just click on an App and hold to rearrange or delete Apps. Same way it's done on iOS.

(edit) sorry, I'm mistaken. This method only works to rearrange Apps, not to delete them.

Indeed, but what about refreshing the darn thing?

I've changed a bunch of application icons, and they refuse to show up as the new icons in Launchpad. Being able to refresh it would also automatically take care of the useless question mark links to applications you no longer have without having to delete them all manually.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.7 Lion sets, finds, corrects insecure folder permissions