or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › I found Jesus

I found Jesus - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

What happened to the fun thread?

'Twas sabotaged by someones mental struggle with having been bought up as a fundie but who realises Athiesm ticks all the boxes for the 'logic and reason' he rags on about.

Seriously though, where has Hassan I Jumbo gone? or was Mumbo never Hassan?. Last I remember he was taking a trip to Barcelona. Have bike questions....
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcUK View Post

'Twas sabotaged by someones mental struggle with having been bought up as a fundie but who realises Athiesm ticks all the boxes for the 'logic and reason' he rags on about.

Seriously though, where has Hassan I Jumbo gone? or was Mumbo never Hassan?. Last I remember he was taking a trip to Barcelona. Have bike questions....

I would say Honda makes the most bullet proof bike.
post #43 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I would say Honda makes the most bullet proof bike.

Wrong kind!

well a bit late for advice now - I went off to get one of them hybrid bikes, but came back with a Scott Scale 60. It was too tempting...Not what I wanted though, nor practical for plan, will need rigid forks, slicks and panniers.

Sacrilidge maybe, but the plan is to cycle round the perimeter of the south Island of New Zealand for a couple of months when there is a small break in study next summer.

Off to get fit (ter) !

shiny new bike in New Forest this afternoon.
post #44 of 61
Quote:

Jesus put the inner thought there. Duh.

Your conscience put your thoughts inside you not Jesus! Again face reality before it is to late for you.
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Your conscience put your thoughts inside you not Jesus! Again face reality before it is to late for you.

You are right. You were created with a conscience. That conscience is there to help you make the right decision in times of uncertainty. However, what that has to do with facing reality before it is too late is beyond me. Too late for what?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #46 of 61
Quote:

You are right. You were created with a conscience. That conscience is there to help you make the right decision in times of uncertainty. However, what that has to do with facing reality before it is too late is beyond me. Too late for what?

Is it though? Surely conscience is not created but develops - it is not an absolute and does not pre-exist.

Also it is culturally conditioned. People in different areas and times have different 'consciences'.

As to what the previous poster was alluding too - is very confusing. If there is no God as he implies it is never too late for anything as there would be no comeback on anything you decided to do or not do.

Odd.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Is it though? Surely conscience is not created but develops - it is not an absolute and does not pre-exist.

Also it is culturally conditioned. People in different areas and times have different 'consciences'.

As to what the previous poster was alluding too - is very confusing. If there is no God as he implies it is never too late for anything as there would be no comeback on anything you decided to do or not do.

Odd.

Well, I did not say it came prepopulated with default values. It definitely takes cues from those that raise you as to what is right or wrong. However there is an innate desire to do right versus wrong and as such, you are created with a conscience.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #48 of 61
Quote:

Well, I did not say it came prepopulated with default values. It definitely takes cues from those that raise you as to what is right or wrong. However there is an innate desire to do right versus wrong and as such, you are created with a conscience.

I wonder if this is true though? The conditioning can be contextual and inherited from millennia of religious teaching.

Many 'primitive' tribes such as the IK for example seem to not only have no conscience as we would describe it but actually follow social codes we would find bordering on immoral.

Quote:
Children by age three are at least sometimes permanently expelled from the household and form groups called age-bands consisting of those within the same age group.

The 'Junior Group' consists of children from the ages of three to eight and the 'Senior Group' consists of those between eight and thirteen. No adults look after the children, who teach each other the basics of survival.

Wiki

In any case, that is not what I was referring to though....I mean that 'right' and 'wrong' are culturally defined and so conscience, where it exists, MUST be a product of this and neither moral concepts nor any conscience can be related to any absolute.
post #49 of 61
Conscience is irrelavent when you realise that according to the latest neurological finding that thoughts and decisions are formulated in the subconscious mind up to 10 seconds before our conscious self is aware of them.

What fun! If I tell you to fuck off, its because I subconsciously decided to 10 seconds before I was aware of it - the rest is just the self-defence of the ego justifying that subconscious decision in order that we appear internally rational to ourselves!

Screw You Buddy .
post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I wonder if this is true though? The conditioning can be contextual and inherited from millennia of religious teaching.

Many 'primitive' tribes such as the IK for example seem to not only have no conscience as we would describe it but actually follow social codes we would find bordering on immoral.

Wiki

In any case, that is not what I was referring to though....I mean that 'right' and 'wrong' are culturally defined and so conscience, where it exists, MUST be a product of this and neither moral concepts nor any conscience can be related to any absolute.

Ok, well a conscience does exist. The desire to do what is "right" is there in everyone. The definition of such depends on the social training the person recieves.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #51 of 61
Quote:

Ok, well a conscience does exist. The desire to do what is "right" is there in everyone. The definition of such depends on the social training the person recieves.

This depends. I'd agree that a conscience does exist, but not necessarily that the desire to do what is "right" is there in everyone. In fact the whole sociopathic personality disorder is centered around the absence of a conscience.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #52 of 61
We only have the desire to do what's right once we have accepted Jesus into our hearts. Until then, Satan's influence controls us. Noah, your heretical musings are really disturbing. Hold strong against the forces of the dark, brother.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

THIS JUST IN!!!!

Shocking VIDEO of BR and another Atheist where by BR and other Atheist are both agreeing that there is no God after BR said he found Jesus!!!!!!! As you can clearly see in the video BR and other atheist are clearly agreeing with each other that there is no God, No Jesus!

I knew it could not be trusted that BR found Jesus!

LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJC0FfqRkm4

Fellows

Jesus is a spirit not a man with a soul.People have opinions in life.
post #54 of 61
ill edit this one
It is absolutely safe to say that, if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid or insane - Proffeser Dawkin
It is absolutely safe to say that, if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid or insane - Proffeser Dawkin
post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcUK™ View Post

Wrong kind!

well a bit late for advice now - I went off to get one of them hybrid bikes, but came back with a Scott Scale 60. It was too tempting...Not what I wanted though, nor practical for plan, will need rigid forks, slicks and panniers.

Sacrilidge maybe, but the plan is to cycle round the perimeter of the south Island of New Zealand for a couple of months when there is a small break in study next summer.

Off to get fit (ter) !

shiny new bike in New Forest this afternoon.

I recently bought the cannondale Quick CX. I swore I would not buy a cannondale but they had what I wanted, intermediate priced hybrid with NO suspension (I think it's a waste of money) and disk brakes. The disk brakes it comes with are for shit but upgrading aint all that hard or expensive.

Too bad for me Honda EOLed one of the best bikes they ever made. I'll have to buy used if I want want one.

post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

This depends. I'd agree that a conscience does exist, but not necessarily that the desire to do what is "right" is there in everyone. In fact the whole sociopathic personality disorder is centered around the absence of a conscience.

I believe that it is there in everyone, even the Sociopathic. The difference being that what is right only counts for them and nobody else. The conscience is there, but for some reason is completely turned inward.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

We only have the desire to do what's right once we have accepted Jesus into our hearts. Until then, Satan's influence controls us. Noah, your heretical musings are really disturbing. Hold strong against the forces of the dark, brother.

Wrong. The desire is always there.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #58 of 61
This religion stuff is basclly medeval. We have progresed far more now and these relgious hold us back.

its actully an embarrasment that we cannot all leave this all behind now in 21st century.

Seems we can put person on the moon but not leave this super stition.

post #59 of 61
Somebody hasn't been reading his Bible.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #60 of 61
Quote:

I recently bought the cannondale Quick CX. I swore I would not buy a cannondale but they had what I wanted, intermediate priced hybrid with NO suspension (I think it's a waste of money) and disk brakes. The disk brakes it comes with are for shit but upgrading aint all that hard or expensive.

Too bad for me Honda EOLed one of the best bikes they ever made. I'll have to buy used if I want want one.

very much love for the Cannondale Bad Boy Range - wish I had got one off the internet now - Im having a nightmare with this Scott, will be going back to the shop soon, (thought i would be good and support a local shop and get a better set up bike) and I hope im in a philosophical mood when I see them

Not sure what that Honda is, but I used to have a fun Yamaha FZR - apparently it was a classic but I didn't realize at the time, let it go for peanuts. Would be nice to go on a tour round Scandinavia with a bike...
post #61 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcUK View Post

very much love for the Cannondale Bad Boy Range - wish I had got one off the internet now - Im having a nightmare with this Scott, will be going back to the shop soon, (thought i would be good and support a local shop and get a better set up bike) and I hope im in a philosophical mood when I see them

Not sure what that Honda is, but I used to have a fun Yamaha FZR - apparently it was a classic but I didn't realize at the time, let it go for peanuts. Would be nice to go on a tour round Scandinavia with a bike...

That bad boy cost too much. I needed a "dad bike" that could also do a 100s miles tour if I wanted.

The FZR is not a true classic. The FZR is a classic like the datsun/nissan Z cars are classic. The bike above is the VRF 800. Honda doesn't know how to make motorcycles anymore. Form is no longer following function for them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › I found Jesus