or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iCal 4.0 gets annual view, iPad appearance

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iCal 4.0 gets annual view, iPad appearance

post #1 of 78
Apple's iCal 4.0 in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion's second Developer Preview adopts an iPad appearance and a new annual view.

Following the footsteps of Address Book 6.0, iCal 4.0 adopts an appearance similar to the iPad Calendar, with a leather bound top and pages that appear to be ripped off from the top edge.

Apart from the novelty "leather" menu bar, the overall look and feel of the app is nearly identical to the previous iCal, apart from a new Year view, which is both new to iCal and also to both the iPad and MobileMe versions of Apple's Calendar apps.

The iPad version of Calendar uses the same brown leather look as Lion's new iCal, but more closely matches the layout and design of the MobileMe Calendar, with a quick date selector at the bottom and a List view missing from Mac OS X's iCal.

Both the iPad and MobileMe calendars present a Day view as an open book, Week and Month views as a tear off calendar pad, and a List view that depicts upcoming event in a spiral bound section next to a torn-page Day view.

Lion's iCal presents the same torn page look for every view. Also different between the MobileMe and Lion version is the To Do list, which is represented as a tear off pad next to the calendar; in Lion's iCal, the To Do list is a conventional list that doesn't quite fit into the "torn page" appearance.

Other minor changes in iCal include the renaming of calendar sharing to "publishing," to better harmonize with the "subscribe" command to access a shared calendar.

post #2 of 78
Fake leather? On a computer screen? Um, no.
post #3 of 78
Am I the only one that thinks the leather-bound metaphor is wrong on a desktop OS? Brushed metal looks great compared to this :|
post #4 of 78
Trying too hard to make digital objects represent their real life counterparts.

Btw, I noticed the favicon on Safari - have they got them working on DP2?
post #5 of 78
What do the event windows look like? Come on AI, that was the most complained about part of every version of iCal. First the silly drawer. Then the same limited UI, but in an even sillier bubble. Then finally in a barely functional mini-window. Why no description/screen shot of this part of iCal?

If Apple didn't fix the event/invite window, then I'd suggest they need to spend far less time on fake leather title bars and other iOS candy and focus on making the product more functional. I see a lot of resources being used on non-functional eye candy that could have been used on something useful like a better event window, better snoozing, or, dare I mention it, keeping Rosestta.
post #6 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Fake leather? On a computer screen? Um, no.

I’m not a fan of mimicking real world items when it’s not necessary, but tan leather on a black and silver, or white Mac looks tacky.

At least with iCal and Addressbook this is purely aesthetic, and doesn’t affect its usability. I keep wishing Apple would dumb their Calculator app for something more useful like Soulver.

Soulver is a great example bringing the usability to a virtual tool without feeling a need for making it work like its real-world counterpart.

http://www.acqualia.com/soulver/
That said, I understand the decision to bring iOS-like features that have been proven to work with users to the Mac to help pull more ‘PC’ users to the Mac platform. Let’s hope this is only a trial and that they will at lear have an option for a different design by the GM release.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #7 of 78
Please tell me this is some sick April Fools joke.... :vomit:
post #8 of 78
Usually I like Apple's graphics....I really like how the current OSX is rather subdued and elegant.

I've never really liked the "wood" in GarageBand or the bookshelf on the iPad and iPhone. But perhaps I just have to get used to it.

I hope we can have a choice of using the leather "skin" or stay with the muted grays and blues of OSX.

Best
post #9 of 78
Waiting for the Buffalo Bill hack for all this Lion faux-leather just so it can be even tackier.
post #10 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Usually I like Apple's graphics....I really like how the current OSX is rather subdued and elegant.

I've never really liked the "wood" in GarageBand or the bookshelf on the iPad and iPhone. But perhaps I just have to get used to it.

I hope we can have a choice of using the leather "skin" or stay with the muted grays and blues of OSX.

Best

Unfortunately a great preponderance of Americans dislike clean, modern esthetics. Most prefer the woody, Early American stuff from 250 years ago. I don't know if Apple uses focus groups, but the presence of wood in the various apps tells me they might have done so. I can't fathom Jonathon Ive signing off on such a thing, but guess it's not really his purview.
post #11 of 78
I hope this is a joke, that design is embarrassingly tacky.
post #12 of 78
I think it's cute how many people have thought this is real. They plastered Apr 1 all over this... come on...
post #13 of 78
What I'm eagerly awaiting is word whether or not the new iCal will have journaling. The iCalendar spec allows for this, but Apple has never implemented it, apparently. What I need is the ability to post little date-based notes on my calendar, such as "Changed the furnace filters", "fixed the roof leak". I don't want these to be treated as appointments (which have specific start times, durations, locations, and alarms, etc.), and I don't want these treated as all-day events because they will show up as holidays. I'm hopeful that iCal in Lion will allow this long-awaited journaling feature. Does it?

Rainman
post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by burlesona View Post

I hope this is a joke, that design is embarrassingly tacky.

This has AFD written all over it...
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #15 of 78
Real objects make sense on in iPad or other touch device where you're interacting with them as if they are real objects. But on a desktop OS with a mouse it seems foolish. At least tone down the silly stitching.
post #16 of 78
I agree they need to clean up the look of the header.

However, it should be cleaned up on BOTH iOS and OS X.

Make them consistent across both platforms.
post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtd2870 View Post

I think it's cute how many people have thought this is real. They plastered Apr 1 all over this... come on...

We chose to ignore the joke and turn the thread into a discussion of imitating natural materials in computer interface design. Even if the iCal thing is a spoof, the leather and wood exist in the iPad. That is not honest design IMO.

And if it is a joke it sure isn't a very good one.
post #18 of 78
Quote:

1) Because Apple has a history of releasing betas so that they can pull on over some people on Internet a couple days later.

2) April 1 is plastered all over these sites with these svreenshots because it's a date that makes up 1/365 of the year. Tomorrow sites will plaster April 2 due to the chronological nature of time as we know it. It's funny that way.
post #19 of 78
Try get your Birthday Calendar onto your iPad from iCal through Mobile me. Now there's a situation that actually looks like an April Fools joke.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #20 of 78
Can't wait for 10.7!!!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #21 of 78
<Runs to the bathroom and throws up>

Ugghhh....Thats okay in Full Screen view (which is why things like this look great on the iPad, which essentially becomes the app). But to have it in Windowed mode, where it clashes atrociously with other apps' consistent Window UIs is just a bad idea.

At the end of the day though, this is just plain fugly.
post #22 of 78
Ahhhhhh. This is better
post #23 of 78
This was reported on MacRumors yesterday. http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/31/...look-for-ical/

Maybe AppleInsider decided to make it appear April Fools-ee to highlight the disagreeable look without outright saying it.
post #24 of 78
Yes! I love the new look! I hope Apple uses the UI idea for the rest of the built in Applications. Mail will look like an Envelope, iChat would look like a Phone, etc. Apple's got the brains behind design! Way to go! Bring on the awesome new looks in Lion!
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I don't know if Apple uses focus groups

Steve Jobs came out really strongly against focus groups. I strongly doubt they use them.

Although Apple is the pinnacle of design in the Tech world, they are not above coming up with some terrible designs themselves. Especially when they are in their "realism" phase (they keep yoyo-ing between minimalistic, and realistic designs). A classic example was the old Quicktime (?) volume control knob. A design fiasco.
post #26 of 78
They need a view that allows you to see a 2-3 week period of time that straddles two months on a single screen. Even better, they could mimic the month view in Outlook which is a continuous scroll bar allowing the user to scroll through the year without flipping pages. Are there any good third-party Mac calendar apps that do this?
post #27 of 78
This faux leather look scares me. Not just because it's butt ugly but because Apple thinks it looks good.

What scares me even more is that it's going to make it into the final product because there's no way to get feedback to Apple.
post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Please tell me this is some sick April Fools joke.... :vomit:

Probably is. All the photos say April Fools!
post #29 of 78
Fugly.
post #30 of 78
Cool.
post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

This faux leather look scares me. Not just because it's butt ugly but because Apple thinks it looks good.

Yup, it's horrifying. I thought this was an April Fools until I saw that Macrumors reported it on 31st March How can this be from the same company that makes the iPhone 4 and the MacBook Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

What scares me even more is that it's going to make it into the final product because there's no way to get feedback to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

What do the event windows look like? Come on AI, that was the most complained about part of every version of iCal. First the silly drawer. Then the same limited UI, but in an even sillier bubble. Then finally in a barely functional mini-window. Why no description/screen shot of this part of iCal?

If Apple didn't fix the event/invite window, then I'd suggest they need to spend far less time on fake leather title bars and other iOS candy and focus on making the product more functional. I see a lot of resources being used on non-functional eye candy that could have been used on something useful like a better event window, better snoozing, or, dare I mention it, keeping Rosestta.

AND, what about full screen view? Does it get rid of the horrible faux leather? I sure hope there is a preference to revert the view but I don't have high hopes. Now there is a third thing about Lion I don't like - iCal, Address Book, and the new Cover Flow-like navigation in Finder icon view. Eh, I like the other 100 or so things I have seen.
post #33 of 78
oh oh oh!! if you LOVED ical 4.0, you'll love google motion!

O.o
post #34 of 78
Quote:

Ummm.....it is. It was reported widely yesterday and many developers with the preview can confirm this.
post #35 of 78
Well at least there's a year view. A minor positive in Lion for the grown-ups.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtwilliams View Post

They need a view that allows you to see a 2-3 week period of time that straddles two months on a single screen. Even better, they could mimic the month view in Outlook which is a continuous scroll bar allowing the user to scroll through the year without flipping pages. Are there any good third-party Mac calendar apps that do this?

Indeed yes, there's a real need to be able to scroll back and forth across the actual period of time you need to look at, rather than clicking between months. If your event crosses the end of the month it is hard to see it without being able to smoothly scroll.

post #37 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Don't worry, they'll delete all your events in the data-migration.

post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Waiting for the Buffalo Bill hack for all this Lion faux-leather just so it can be even tackier.

Can't wait for all the Android fans to brag about how Android will have fake leather soon, too. And theirs is better because it's Open.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Can't wait for all the Android fans to brag about how Android will have fake leather soon, too. And theirs is better because it's Open.

They have so many skins that they already brag about.
http://fuglyandroid.tumblr.com/ Note: These are screenshots someone was likely boosting about to a friend.
post #40 of 78
Incredibly fugly. Is skeuomorphic design part of the HIG?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iCal 4.0 gets annual view, iPad appearance