or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › That noise in your house?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

That noise in your house?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
it happens in any house but....

sometimes you'll randomly hear a "crackling" sound in the house [coming from the wood?] and I was wondering if anyone knew what causes this?

my guess is the change in weather?

also, how about that TV "crackling"? static build-up?


*just wondering*
post #2 of 21
I put it down to changes in temperature, humidity etc causing the wood to expand and contract.
I got home from work one day and found the loft hatch had been lifted up. At first I thought a burglar was in the roof space, but I think it must have been caused by the strong wind blowing, causing a vacuum or difference in air pressure in the loft, which sucked the hatch up.

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
post #3 of 21
Heat/Cold = Expantion of wood etc. Also you'll find on a really nice hot day you hear lots more activity around your house
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
post #4 of 21
ghosts :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
is temp. changes the for sure answer?

also, how about the TV?
post #6 of 21
the thing with the TV is electrostatic energy.
post #7 of 21
I think the TV is static build-up... and the temperature changes do affect the wood in a house. I was always told when I was a kid that it was, "just the house settling". Creeped me out after watching a scary movie.

In my current apartment, during the day the windows creek all the time - only when the sun is out though.
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'm not sure if any of this happens in the day for me, or maybe I don't notice it as much with city noise, etc....

but @ night, when it's quiet, I notice little "cracks" and things here & there............

have always made me wonder about the exact cause of it.........


post #9 of 21
Buildings wiggle all over the place. You have to take that into account when yo make them, especially when you have different materials next to one another. They will expand and contract to different degrees and under different conditions. When you're dealing with wood or any porous material, humidity affects its expansion and contraction more than temperature, but metals and glass will expand and contract more with heat and cold. That's why you have caulk and sealant between changes in material, to take up the difference.
post #10 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by Defiant:
<strong>ghosts :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Nah, ghosts don't crackle when they move. They whisper.

The crackling sound comes from the voyeur in your attic setting up the video surveillance equipment over your bedroom and bathroom.
I was promised flying cars. Where are the flying cars?
Reply
I was promised flying cars. Where are the flying cars?
Reply
post #11 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by jesperas:
<strong>Nah, ghosts don't crackle when they move. They whisper.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Ignore the voices in your head! Don't listen to them!
Chicanery.
Reply
Chicanery.
Reply
post #12 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by jesperas:
<strong>The crackling sound comes from the voyeur in your attic setting up the video surveillance equipment over your bedroom and bathroom.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes? didn't know that I even have an attic ...
post #13 of 21
Everynight at 10 oclock (within 15 minutes of 10) there is a loud crack sound. Happens every night, any time of year. It used to freek me out, now I don't even notice.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
Reply
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
Reply
post #14 of 21
The expansion and contraction of materials in heat and cold explain the seams built into a bridge. The space is wide enough to let the bridge "breathe" under different temperatures, but close enough to easily and safely drive over them.

In a building I know (which shares an underground walkway with another), all of the water mains going between the two are exposed as you walk through the tunnel. The pipes themselves are built onto little rollers, so that when the pipes expand and contract with the hot and cold water they're carrying, they can just roll along the wheels.

Just makes you wonder how much larger and smaller we get when we become hot and cold. I'm sure our bones all do the same sort of thing. <img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" />
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #15 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:
<strong>The expansion and contraction of materials in heat and cold explain the seams built into a bridge. The space is wide enough to let the bridge "breathe" under different temperatures, but close enough to easily and safely drive over them.

In a building I know (which shares an underground walkway with another), all of the water mains going between the two are exposed as you walk through the tunnel. The pipes themselves are built onto little rollers, so that when the pipes expand and contract with the hot and cold water they're carrying, they can just roll along the wheels.

Just makes you wonder how much larger and smaller we get when we become hot and cold. I'm sure our bones all do the same sort of thing. <img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>

Also rubber expansion seams in concrete roads are for the same thing. However, black top can actually expand easier than concrete so those types of roads do not have the rubber seams.
post #16 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:
<strong>Just makes you wonder how much larger and smaller we get when we become hot and cold. I'm sure our bones all do the same sort of thing. <img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>

Useless fact: You're an inch shorter in the evenings as gravity has compressed your spine throughout the day. Over night it stretches back out and in the morning you're an inch taller.

BTW, I get very much smaller in the cold :o

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
post #17 of 21
Expansion joints in buildings and other construction are a major deal, and are a common basis for lawsuits and building failure. Usually, the problem is not enough expansion joints, or contructing over them (which will do things like rip finish walls apart). The only things that are more common are residential complaints and water penetration damage.

I notice the shrinking posture thing every time I sit in my car. I'm always adjusting the mittor up in the morning, down in the afternoon.
post #18 of 21
I remember one night when I was around 15 hearing this knocking. It was kind of freaking me out. I went outside to see what it was - sounded like something banging the side of the house. Couldn't find a thing. Back to bed, and the same noise.... tap... tap... tap... tap. Could NOT figure out what the hell this noise was.

So the next day I go into my parent's room looking for my mom. She's in their bathroom, so I plop myself down on the bed.

Headboard gets jostled.

tap...

tap...


Took me weeks to get over it.
post #19 of 21
a few weeks ago, i woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, then i heard what appeared to be someone/something hitting a few keys on my old computer keyboard really fast. freaked me out. i then looked in the room and saw nothing, no cats lurking about. my sister always said this house was haunted :eek:
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by burningwheel:
<strong>a few weeks ago, i woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, then i heard what appeared to be someone/something hitting a few keys on my old computer keyboard really fast. freaked me out. i then looked in the room and saw nothing, no cats lurking about. my sister always said this house was haunted :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>
<img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" /> <img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" /> <img src="graemlins/surprised.gif" border="0" alt="[Surprised]" /> <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
post #21 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by Dogcow:
<strong>Everynight at 10 oclock (within 15 minutes of 10) there is a loud crack sound. Happens every night, any time of year. It used to freek me out, now I don't even notice.</strong><hr></blockquote>
very strange
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › That noise in your house?