or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak released as Toyota advertises on hacked iPhones

iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak released as Toyota advertises on hacked iPhones - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thats one of the nicer skins Ive seen. Im glad to see that Toyota is thinking outside the box. I have to assume that Scion is marketed to a younger generation since I dont see skins being applied often to other user groups.

I dont see any reason to believe its not accurate. There are plenty of ways they can count. Like updates to Cydia when a new version is released, unique access IDs, or even the storage of SHSH blobs to Cydia when a new iOS version appears.

Anecdotally speaking, pretty much everyone I know has jailbroken their iDevices. I dont know of any them that have downloaded pirated App Store apps. Personally, Ive purchased the $20 MyWI app and $5 in-app purchase for automatic BT tethering, along with a couple other cheaper apps. Cydia isnt as nice as App Store, but its nearly as convenient.

Does your MyWi work OK with wireless tethering for your iPad2? Why do you also need Bluetooth tethering (purchased inside which app?), if you already have wifi tethering through MyWi? I'm going to try this myself, so would like to know. Also would like to know if you've gotten the dreaded text message from ATT, warning you of your scandalous activity.
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Rather unprofessional of Toyota. I'm surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

So Toyota advertising a extremely customizable car on a customized phone is unprofessional.....or genius?

Toyota currently licenses IP from Apple so that their audio systems can be advertised as able to control an iPod. If Apple takes offense to Toyota's corporate endorsement of jailbreaking IOS, it is conceivable that Apple would cease licensing to Toyota. That would be better characterized as unprofessional than genius, on the part of Toyota.
post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You mean to tell me you did that without installing a signed provisioning profile from Apple on your iPad and without registering in an iOS developers account?

Absolutely. It's not like there's actually anything stopping iMovie from working on the first iPad, even without cameras.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/11/insta...neration-ipad/

I have no iOS Developer Provisioning Profiles on my iPad at all. Nor does anyone else installing it this way, I'd imagine.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #44 of 59
I always recommend people who want to expand the functionality of their phone to jailbreak. iOS is great, but it's far from perfect and thankfully there's a large community to solve the flaws Apple clearly refuses to address 5 versions in.

Activator: You can program functionality by just setting behaviors. For example:

Hold volume up/down for a second to play/pause
Hold volume up for next track
Hold volume down for prev track

---

LockInfo: Anyone who thinks having to unlock is an elegant solution to view SMS, mail, missed calls, voicemails, calender events has an interesting idea of whats intuitive. With LockInfo, I can respond to text messages, mail, twitter, facebook (last two using plug-ins) from my lock screen. Also if there's one feature about Android I'm jealous of, it's the notifications. LockInfo addresses that, simply swipe the status bar down to reveal all the stuff that was on the lock screen.

http://www.lockinfo.net

---

biteSMS: Quite honestly this makes the Messages app look like it was written by a 5 year old.

Emoticons
privacy (blocking unwanted messages)
quick compose (I can compose a SMS ANYWHERE by just hitting the volume button, when I'm done, it's right back to the task. Sorry Apple, your multi-tasking solution is not elegant and is a band-aid solution to this)
Quickreply, basically I can reply from anywhere without leaving the app.
Cancel sending (delays sending so you can cancel if you see a typo, which lets face it, happens all the time with this lousy dictionary built in)

Tons more of features

http://www.bitesms.com/main/more_features

---

Snappy: Take a pic/record a video/access library ANYWHERE by holding the status bar for 2 seconds. Camera loads way faster than the stock app for some reason.

http://www.topiphoneresource.info/ta...-any-open-app/

---

iBlacklist: Block unwanted text messages or callers, simple, perfection.

---

Barrel: If you've used compiz for Linux, you'll understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Q5_Tvzvyg

---

There are so many other examples. I've yet to pirate an app, why? Because I can afford them. But I have no qualms against those who do, that's their decision. But there is an amazing array of functionality, themes, unapproved apps available on Cydia.
post #45 of 59
Count me as one person who has jailbroken every iOS device, and doesn't have a single pirated app. I have 335 apps. Not one is pirated.

Pirating on iOS really seems like a non-issue. While I don't have any pirated apps, I have pirated apps. It's a great way to evaluate apps. However, every app I end up using, I then end up purchasing.

In part, because it's just worth it. Besides being the right thing to do, pirating apps is a hassle and the price makes it worth it to buy them.

There are still a ton of reasons to jailbreak. If I couldn't jailbreak, I would still buy iOS devices, but it's much nicer with the jailbreak.
post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely. It's not like there's actually anything stopping iMovie from working on the first iPad, even without cameras.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/11/insta...neration-ipad/

I have no iOS Developer Provisioning Profiles on my iPad at all. Nor does anyone else installing it this way, I'd imagine.

This is not the same as putting a pirated .ipa file on nonjailbroken iDevice. To install apps on a stock iDevice the app needs to be either signed by Apple or provisioned using an an official iOS developers profile, which cost $99/year. Jailbreaking removes this restriction. The process in the link you posted mentions nothing about installing pirated apps using xcode without using provisioning profile. Even if you develop your own apps using Xcode you will still need to enroll in the developers program and gets provision profiles to install your app on your devices for testing.
post #47 of 59
Quote:

Even if you develop your own apps using Xcode you will still need to enroll in the developers program and gets provision profiles to install your app on your devices for testing.

And what's to stop people from hacking provisioning profiles?

post #48 of 59
Quote:

And what's to stop people from hacking provisioning profiles?

They are encrypted and associated with UDID. If the device is not registered for development when the provisioning profile is obtained then it won't work.
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, but only in the USA do you have to pay more money to tether....

Wrong, telco's in Australia charge extra, depending on company and plan.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #50 of 59
Quote:

They are encrypted and associated with UDID. If the device is not registered for development when the provisioning profile is obtained then it won't work.

Really? I've put applications that I developed in my university's iPhone class on my iDevices and they weren't registered when the class profile was obtained. Heck, my iPad didn't exist when I took the class and I still got those applications on it.

post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

lol , it fits with the mentality of all the jailbreakers I know, they all want to have everything for nothing. Every single one I know jailbreak to pirate software. It has nothing to do with some kind of insatisfaction over the Apple ecosystem other than wanting to have apps for free.

imo at 1$ to 10$ an app, they are super cheap. Its not like you have to pay 50$+ per app like in the PC world.

I jailbrake my iPhone to allow other SIMcards to be used when I go abroad. (att roaming sucks). It was the only way. The phone was locked to ATT and I just could not get Apple nor ATT to unlock it even after my 2 year contract expired. The employee at Apple store told me: "I am not allowed to unlock it but you can jailbreak it and use anywhere you want" - so I did.
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #52 of 59
Quote:

Really? I've put applications that I developed in my university's iPhone class on my iDevices and they weren't registered when the class profile was obtained. Heck, my iPad didn't exist when I took the class and I still got those applications on it.

That's because there is a special free iOS developer program for universities only. Check this for more information.
post #53 of 59
Quote:

That's because there is a special free iOS developer program for universities only. Check this for more information.

Our professor's account was a single one in his name only.

At any rate, the profiles expire every year, right? Well...

post #54 of 59
Quote:

Our professor's account was a single one in his name only.

At any rate, the profiles expire every year, right? Well...

Is the device you are installing those apps on Jailbroken? Profiles expire in three months and some in six months. The security certificate expires in a year. Are you sure about the professor account being individual? Because individual accounts are very restrictive. That certificate look different than mine (I removed the time and my name from the image):

post #55 of 59
WARNING: iBOOKS with DRM might NOT work correctly. This is because it no longer uses the Comex fix but there is a problem with the jailbreak causing images, etc. not to show up correctly in books, as though images load halfway and some content is missing.

WARNING2: Downgrading to 4.2.1 may be impossible due to the "10xx" recovery loop.
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Toyota, don't give up your day job, because you are really terrible at UI design.

Ah well, it's about par for the course for the Winterboard themes available on Cydia.

Steve to Toyota: "You're advertising it wrong"

Maybe Toyota got pissed they missed the iAd bus, or maybe they didn't even wait for it.
post #57 of 59
Doesn't work with iOS Apple TV and Pwnage Tool in Expert mode:
2011-04-04 21:42:41 - Loaded .ipsw file from '/Applications/Apple TV/AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F202_Restore.ipsw'.
2011-04-04 21:42:42 - Can't recognize .ipsw file.

How to get this working?

Also, what is the path that Apple TV .ipsw's should normally reside in, i.e. like:

~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
post #58 of 59
Quote:

can you speak for the rest of the 15 million users? There were many articles about developers frustration with high rate of pirated apps and the only people who can pirate apps are those who jailbreak. I am not saying all jailbreakers pirate apps but the majority of them do.

There's also many articles on developers making a fortune on the app store, developers making nothing on the app store, iPhone updates working perfectly, iPhone updates being awful, iOS beating Android, Android beating iOS, people buying music for iPods, people stealing music for iPods.

Basically what I'm saying is that for every article you read there's another saying the opposite thing. This is Apple Insider so most articles are supportive of whatever Apple is doing, but for each article and opinion on here there's a opposing article and opinion somewhere else.

Even if we do know a lot of people get pirate apps for jailbroken phones, we also know a lot of people get apps from the app store by buying a stolen iTunes accounts. And when those accounts get refunded the developer foot's 100% of the bill, Apple still take there 30%.
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

lol , it fits with the mentality of all the jailbreakers I know, they all want to have everything for nothing. Every single one I know jailbreak to pirate software. It has nothing to do with some kind of insatisfaction over the Apple ecosystem other than wanting to have apps for free.

imo at 1$ to 10$ an app, they are super cheap. Its not like you have to pay 50$+ per app like in the PC world.

Well maybe it's every single one you know, but that doesn't make it every single one there is... I jailbreak and I don't have a single pirated app and don't intend to...

I did it because I need to output the screen of my iPad in order to show clients our applications in presentation and also I do have insatisfaction over the Apple ecosystem other than wanting to have apps for free.

The rabid fanboy mentality of "I think therefore it is" really is annoying.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak released as Toyota advertises on hacked iPhones